PDA

View Full Version : Clubs for a mates son

goughy
6th January 2016, 03:21 PM
So the son of a mate of mine is getting into golf. He's had a crappy junior set and needs to move up a bit. He has some sort of driver and 3 wood, at normal length. But at least needs most of everything else.

He's turning 14 and is only about 150cm tall, but I think he'd just grip up a normal set for a while. He's mostly enjoying bashing around a bit but his dad has joined him up to my club as a junior where he can get lessons etc. His dad used to play off 7 till he chopped off a fair number of fingers a decade + ago.

So I'm wondering what might be out there? He's saved himself $200 for some clubs, and I think he was just gonna go to cash converters or something but I said I'd ask here first and see what people had lying around (I'm looking at you Daves ;) ). I might even chip in and cover the shipping for him if needed. I'm sure I've seen some old carry bag in their shed of his, so I don't think he needs that, though if there was something available in a package let me know too.

Thanks all.

Captain Nemo
6th January 2016, 03:22 PM
Id bet my last dollar ferret will chime in here....

Yossarian
6th January 2016, 03:23 PM
Is he left handed?

Ferrins
6th January 2016, 03:32 PM
All over this if he is right handed

goughy
6th January 2016, 03:41 PM
Exactly what I thought. The lefty part is the killer!

Ferrins
6th January 2016, 03:52 PM
I think Dave is looking to reduce his sets to 50.

Moe Norman
6th January 2016, 04:02 PM
so is he a leftie or not?

If he is right handed, I have wedges and irons he can pretty much have, and I've definitely got an ogio carry bag I was going to throw away

goughy
6th January 2016, 04:20 PM
No, he's definitely a lefty. That's why I posted in the Left Handed Pro Shop, and the comments about Daves!

Yossarian
6th January 2016, 04:54 PM
It looks like the normal pro shop when it is the top thread. Hence my confusion.

goughy
6th January 2016, 05:05 PM
Ahhhh! I didn't even realise there was a lefties pro shop till I went to post this! I didn't bother posting in the title that he was a lefty cause of that.

Daves
6th January 2016, 05:22 PM
I am sure I can put a bag together for him. Give me a bit more detail, and I will see what I can come up with.

Moe Norman
6th January 2016, 05:25 PM
oh, didn't realise there was a different pro shop

goughy
6th January 2016, 07:52 PM
Neither did I! Maybe it doesn't look so obvious when you view new posts.

goughy
6th January 2016, 08:09 PM
I am sure I can put a bag together for him. Give me a bit more detail, and I will see what I can come up with.

What sort of stuff would you like to know? His dad said he had some big headed thing and another wood he already found (I'm assuming he means driver and 3 wood) though if there was something with a full set matched up or something I don't think it would be a problem. While he's not tall (yet) I think they're full length and I think he could just grip up on a set for a while. They're not like us who would change stuff often. His dad played off 7 and was using his clubs he bought when he was 18 (he's 58 now) though he hasn't played since chopping his fingers off. His dad saw my birdie balls and bought him a couple a dozen for xmas that he whacks around their yard. But he is gonna go to the clinics at our club and I reckon try some of the kids comps as well. He's not a show off'y kid so wouldn't be worried about the latest and greatest.

But he hasn't played much actual golf at the club as yet. He's got $200 to spend and at the least needs irons, wedges (maybe just a sandy) and a putter. If it was a full set I don't think it would be an issue. I'm sure he's got a bag but if there was something you wanted to get rid of that would go with anything that'd be no issue. I'll cover what ever in shipping so he can have his own money go to his clubs.

He's had some cheap junior clubs and has been mucking around their property with his dad for a while. I think a fresh set would be one of those things that would spark the interest even further. Anything else I can tell you, just let me know. As per usual, an economy of words is not something I understand ;)

Daves
6th January 2016, 08:32 PM
OK, I will see what I can put together. Does he carry?, or does he have a buggy?

goughy
6th January 2016, 08:40 PM
Don't remember seeing a buggy anywhere. I remember seeing an old carry bag in their shed with his old junior clubs in it. Nothing special.

Moe Norman
6th January 2016, 09:56 PM
I've definitely got an ogio carry bag that needs a home

goughy
7th January 2016, 06:09 AM
No probs Moe. I'll see what comes together with what he's got to spend.

Moe Norman
7th January 2016, 06:46 AM
Its a freebie.

WBennett
7th January 2016, 06:51 AM
Its a freebie.

Onya Moe.

goughy
7th January 2016, 07:05 AM
Its a freebie.

Whoops sorry! Very very generous. Well of course that's great. I should actually be in brissie one day the week after next for a teeth check up. Maybe I could sort something out with you then for a pickup?

Daves
7th January 2016, 07:11 AM
OK, I was fill this list in as I get a chance to see what I have in the garage that will suit;

Bag: Ogio Carry - Moe Norman
Driver: ?
Fairway: ?
Hybrid(s): ?
Irons: Cobra S3 Max 5 - GW with UST 60g Lite shafts - Daves
Wedge(s): ?
Putter: ?

goughy
7th January 2016, 07:16 AM
Champions!

PeteyD
7th January 2016, 07:26 AM
i might have an old anser lefty putter, nothing flash but can chuck it in if I can find it.

Moe Norman
7th January 2016, 07:57 AM
The bag is currently at perci's place. I dropped it there with some clubs he is regripping for me.

Its nothing flash, just an old ogio grom stand bag, but should do the trick. I've got some callaway balls I'll never use too, will chuck them in.

If it's in the next week or so, just grab the bag from perc. Otherwise my place is fine

Josh_Atterbury
7th January 2016, 09:35 AM
Cleveland classic putter. Plays to 36 and a super size grip so might need a regrip and cutdown. No head cover.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160106/c8c61a02736c32bd620c4d4b3ce43faf.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160106/0252fceb7aa4db13d34fb8f35dd77fa4.jpg

Freebie. Located in mcdowall, brisbane.

Josh_Atterbury
7th January 2016, 09:39 AM
Also can drop to perci's if that's easier

Daves
7th January 2016, 09:59 AM
OK, Putter looks to be covered.

Driver: ?
Hybrid(s): ?
Wedge(s): Taylormade Y Cutters, 56 and 60* - Daves
Putter: PeteyD Anser, or Josh A Cleveland Classic. Both would be excellent choices.

I have lots of choices in the Driver, Fairway, Hybrid categories. I am just not sure which would be the best way to go for the young fella. I have some Wishons which would be good clubs for a beginner, but the driver shaft is stiff flex (Aldila NVS), and steel shafts (albeit lightweights) in the 3, 5 W and 3 Hybrid? I am thinking these will be a too heavy for him, but could easily cut down and can get knocked around as they tend to be at this age. Alternative is to go lightweight as I can, which I can do also. I am also thinking more loft is better, if possible.

PeteyD
7th January 2016, 10:04 AM
The cleveland classic is much better than my anser copy.

goughy
7th January 2016, 10:05 AM
I think you're right about the loft. I reckon kids often wouldn't have the strength to get a regular lofted driver up in the air to make it worth it.

Thanks heaps Josh! Me thinks I better pm Percy and see what I can sort out with him. At the least he should know some of this is heading his way ;)

Moe Norman
7th January 2016, 10:27 AM
when I was 15 I played a 12* driver, and I was a shitload bigger than 150cm!

I was more like 180cm and about 75kg.

Having said that, when I was 13 I played a persimmon 1 wood. Not sure what the loft was!

Daves
7th January 2016, 10:42 AM
I am thinking something like a SLDR S Mini Driver in 14/16*. I think I have a spare head, and can put an R or A flex shaft in it.

goughy
7th January 2016, 10:46 AM
when I was 15 I played a 12* driver, and I was a shitload bigger than 150cm!

I was more like 180cm and about 75kg.

Having said that, when I was 13 I played a persimmon 1 wood. Not sure what the loft was!

So did I! Had some kind of 12* 2 wood. Cept I was probably about 150cm and 40kg wringing wet.

goughy
7th January 2016, 10:46 AM
I am thinking something like a SLDR S Mini Driver in 14/16*. I think I have a spare head, and can put an R or A flex shaft in it.

Now that sounds like a ripper!

Daves
7th January 2016, 01:33 PM
OK, getting close now. I just need to dig out a suitable shaft for the Mini Driver. At 43/43.5" it should be better than a full length driver for him.

I found a matching S3 Max Cobra Hybrid, to go with the irons. The 5i is 25*, so a 20* Hybrid should be an ideal match. Just trying to settle on a Fairway now. A 4 wood would probably be ideal, but I don't think I have one? So maybe a weak (16*) 3 wood, or a 5 wood to finish off the set.

Driver: TM SLDR S TP Mini Driver 14* - Daves
Hybrid(s): Cobra S3 Max #3 (20*)with 65g Reg - Daves
Wedge(s): Taylormade Y Cutters, 56 and 60* - Daves
Putter: Cleveland Classic - Josh A.

goughy
7th January 2016, 01:36 PM
Just outstanding guys. Really!

Ned
7th January 2016, 02:29 PM
Dave, what about that 22* TM Hybrid head I left at Hux's place?

Daves
7th January 2016, 03:07 PM
Dave, what about that 22* TM Hybrid head I left at Hux's place?

It's still there.

Moe Norman
7th January 2016, 03:09 PM
not sure a junior player really needs a fairway wood.

That set looks pretty complete to me, doesn't have to have 14 clubs

goughy
7th January 2016, 03:16 PM
Yep.

Funny enough, they just dropped by on their way home from chipping and putting down the golf club, to get some eyelets put in a tarp, and I got a squizz at his clubs. A mix of rusty old slazenger and brosnan blades, and some mixed knocked around woods from the Cashies, all in a ragged Brosnan kids stand bag. Me thinks he's not gonna know what hit him!

And while they were down the club, a few times members who were walking past each gave him some golf balls!

Ned
7th January 2016, 03:43 PM
It's still there.

Might fill a gap

dazza99
7th January 2016, 04:18 PM
Jesus, guys. You gotta love OzGolf.

Rascal
7th January 2016, 04:40 PM
This hits me right in the feels. Good work everyone!

timah!
7th January 2016, 04:46 PM
[emoji109]🏻[emoji109]🏻[emoji109]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻 great work guys.

It's not much but I've got some balls as well if needed.

callawayboy
7th January 2016, 05:05 PM
You's guys are legends !!! Well done to all of you..Another potential golf pro maybe..

goughy
8th January 2016, 10:36 PM
Firstly again, thanks for all the help guys.

Just a heads up. I'm going away first thing in the morning for a week and won't have any net access etc. So I haven't disappeared. But I won't be able to reply or anything till I get back Saturday week. I've given Perci a heads up on what's happening. I have a dentist appointment in the city on Thursday morning the 21st, and I'll try and arrange something with him for that day. Daves, I'll have a chat to you when I get back.
Thanks heaps all!

Rascal
8th January 2016, 10:42 PM
Pics or ban when the bestowing of the clubs occurs.

Daves
9th January 2016, 08:14 AM
I just have to glue up the Mini Driver and all the clubs from this end will be ready to go. I will see if I can get them to perci during the week, as we are away for a few weeks after that.

Daves
9th January 2016, 08:15 AM
not sure a junior player really needs a fairway wood.

That set looks pretty complete to me, doesn't have to have 14 clubs

Yep, the same thought had occurred to me. Especially as the S3 Max Hybrid is a FW size head.

oldracer
9th January 2016, 08:57 AM
just sensational fellas, well done to all :D

Dotty
9th January 2016, 11:06 AM
Yep, the same thought had occurred to me. Especially as the S3 Max Hybrid is a FW size head.
+1.

Leaves a gap in the bag, that he can fill with what works best as his game improves (or Santa chooses next Xmas).

Josh_Atterbury
11th January 2016, 06:53 AM
Heads up I'll get the putter over to perci's later this week or weekend.

Daves
15th January 2016, 05:22 PM
Perci took delivery of the clubs today. I have boxed them up. Hopefully the young fella will get to have a 2nd Christmas opening it up.

Rascal
15th January 2016, 06:56 PM
Good Work!

Coopers Country
15th January 2016, 08:05 PM
Gotta love the generosity of the guys on here to get a junior into the game great work guys

goughy
16th January 2016, 07:02 AM
Hey guys. Just sitting on the ship waiting to disembark. You guys are tops!

Josh_Atterbury
16th January 2016, 10:10 AM
Just dropped the putter off mate.

Lagerlover
16th January 2016, 04:31 PM
Impressive work gents.

mrbluu
16th January 2016, 09:51 PM
Impressive work gents.
+10000

3Puttpete
16th January 2016, 10:47 PM
Perci took delivery of the clubs today. I have boxed them up. Hopefully the young fella will get to have a 2nd Christmas opening it up.

I think it's only fair that you get to caddy for him in his first par 3 comp at Augusta.

goughy
21st January 2016, 08:51 AM
Just dropped by Perci's; think it's the first time I've seen him since my last Nudgee Plate (maybe 7 years ago). Thanks heaps for being the gathering point, and thanks all for the clubs. I'll get them to him today and I know he'll be wrapped!

Josh_Atterbury
22nd January 2016, 06:43 PM
Happy to help mate. I know as a young lad I would have been stoked to be on the receiving end.