PDA

View Full Version : iPhone GPS or android

Coldtopper
6th January 2016, 01:28 PM
Seen an app yesterday that looked great? Are they legal to use in a members comp and if so what is the best app to buy on what phone? Cheers

mrbluu
6th January 2016, 01:45 PM
Seen an app yesterday that looked great? Are they legal to use in a members comp and if so what is the best app to buy on what phone? Cheers

Thought you don't play members comps ;-)

Anyway I would bother with the phone ones as they are ok, but totally drain the battery of your phone. If you are looking at cheap then something like this would do the trick.

http://www.golfbox.com.au/SureShot-Hero-150X-GPS_p_221367.html

backintheswing
6th January 2016, 01:46 PM
I have a G3 Garmin that we got from Dick Smith for $20. It's good

wazandnic
6th January 2016, 02:12 PM
They used to drain the battery.. newer phones seem to be coping much better. A mate just started using one on an Iphone, uses maybe 20% of his battery in the round. He seems happy enough.

being able to use the phone GPS is still a bit vague and will prob come down to how anal your playing partners are or the level you are playing at. I think Vardon event players prob wouldn;t want to try it... playing with your mates in the Sunday comp prob ok.

I've seen some courses say no GPS devices that also have access to weather information. Seeing as most phones have these it is prob a polite way of saying no phones to be used as GPS without saying it.

Thesloth96
6th January 2016, 04:35 PM
I have a G3 Garmin that we got from Dick Smith for $20. It's good $20!? Bargain what dick smith and when?

nadg63
6th January 2016, 04:45 PM
I have a G3 Garmin that we got from Dick Smith for $20. It's good

$20!? Bargain what dick smith and when?

Better hurry ;)

backintheswing
6th January 2016, 04:48 PM
Was ages ago. It's a top unit though.

Coldtopper
6th January 2016, 06:52 PM
Thought you don't play members comps ;-) You have me mistaken for Hutchy! Ive got a garmin thing its ok but need a new phone. Still dont understand the need for a laser.

Thesloth96
6th January 2016, 07:14 PM
You have me mistaken for Hutchy! Ive got a garmin thing its ok but need a new phone. Still dont understand the need for a laser.I use golfshot. Although I bought it a couple of years back before the higher price tag. It is pretty good though distances are spot on and it has flyovers etc. Uses about 30% of my battery

peteerb
6th January 2016, 07:16 PM
I use Swing By Swing on my Sony Z5, no issues with battery and the GPS is quick to locate me. It's free but you can pay for a subscription which allows you to track and store the distance of your shots with each club. I've found it looks the best and is the easiest to use.

https://www.swingbyswing.com/

mrbluu
6th January 2016, 08:28 PM
You have me mistaken for Hutchy!

Wow, so I want me to really insult u!

Ive got a garmin thing its ok but need a new phone. Still dont understand the need for a laser.

Then just get a phone. I like going off the reviews on CNET.com.au then then going out a buying the latest Samsung Note!!!

Lasers are good for choppers like me who like exact numbers!!! My mate off 1 doesn't use a laser cos he uses the gps to confirm what he sees. He normally hits it closer to the hole than I do cos I'm crap!!!

AlexMc
6th January 2016, 09:32 PM
I haven't found an iPhone app that is as accurate as a GPS unit...

Tank33
6th January 2016, 09:56 PM
RoG 14-3 states 'Note: The Committee may make a Local Rule allowing players to use a distance-measuring device.'

and Appendix IV-5 says

During a stipulated round, the use of any distance-measuring device is not permitted unless the Committee has introduced a Local Rule to that effect (see Note to Rule 14-3 and Appendix I; Part A; Section 7)
Even when the Local Rule is in effect, the device must not be used for any purposes that are prohibited by Rule 14-3, including but are limited to:
- the gauging or measuring of slope;
- the gauging or measuring of other conditions that might affect play (e.g. wind speed or direction);
- recommendations that might assist the player in making a stroke or in his play (e.g. club selection, type of shot to be played, green reading or any other advice related matter); or
- calculating the effective distance between two points based on elevation changes or other conditions affecting shot distance.

A multi-functional device, such as a smartphone or PDA, may be used as a distance-measuring device, but it must not be used to gauge or measure other conditions where doing so would be a breach of Rule 14-3.

Gauge and measure are important words, a smartphone app cannot measure the wind speed. So even if you have a weather app showing weather info including the wind speed, it doesn't make the device illegal.
Apparently, the existence of a compass app or a spirit level app doesn't make the device illegal either.

So my understanding is if the committee allowed a distance measuring device to be used in a competition as a local rule, it doesn't matter whether the device is a dedicated GPS or a GPS app on a smartphone.
I don't think its not R&A's intention to discriminate different devices.

In my opinion, only reason they didn't allow a distance measuring device in the rules of golf directly is just to keep the traditionalists happy and stop the tour pros use a device but they can still make us believe we as amateurs play the game under the same rules as the pros.

If you can't take my words for it and have a bit of time to read up, you can go here (http://www.randa.org/News/2015/12/Revision-to-Rules-Regarding-Distance-Measuring-Devices) and read up, the article covers any silly questions could be asked regarding the rule.

Golf NSW Vardon conditions also states:
DISTANCE MEASURING DEVICES Will be allowed if the Host Clubs Local rule allows. Golf NSW has no objection to their use.
And like I said earlier if they allowed a device, it doesn't matter whether its a rangefinder, dedicated GPS or a smartphone with all sorts of apps on it.

Only other thing you (those who play in national/state events) have to watch out for is a condition regarding a mobile phone.
There will be a condition that mobile phone is not allowed to be used and if it rings, it deemed to have been used.
But they will also say if the mobile phone is a distance measuring device, it can be used as one if the phone communication is turned off.

For us mortals (club comp participants), unless your home club has a local rule banning a mobile phone and a distance measuring device, you have no wucken forries..