PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Clubs - What to get?

Tjoobie
2nd January 2016, 09:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the game of golf. I've been playing for about 1 month 3 times a week (including range days) and i've decided I need to get some clubs for between $500-$700 that will actually fit me (i'm 6'4 and small clubs are just hard to play with).

I went to the Ping Online Fitting guide at http://www.ping.com/fitting/nflightweb.aspx and input the following:

Male
Right Hand
Handicap ~30
193CM tall
92cm Wrist to floor
19cm hand length
8.5cm longest finger
Sliced right drives of about 175m

This gives me an output of 45.75" for a driver length, Green Dot irons and a 5L Grip (Round for Driver and woods). I'm also terrible at putting (both long and short)

I've been looking around at different clubs but just can't get a grip on what to purchase (second hand is fine), or whether I should just get a generic set from a pro shop for ~$600 and get underway? Any ideas on a good way to start would be so appreciated!

oldracer
2nd January 2016, 10:10 PM
Get properly fitted, I'm 6'3" and got the same result, absolutely different with a proper fitting, at that point you can grab some awesome sticks with your budget and welcome

Icestorm959
3rd January 2016, 11:53 AM
Get fitted for the length and lie only of your irons, you wont have a repeatable swing worth fitting for at this point, and driver you dont really want to play longer than 45 as you lose a fair bit of accuracy with a longer shaft.
Then try and find something on here or ebay that matches your fitted specs for length on the irons.

Tjoobie
5th January 2016, 10:37 PM
Okey. I went and got fitted for my length (+0.5") and lie (upright 2*).

I have purchased the following clubs:

XR Pro Irons
SLDR Mini Driver (since I just cant seem to get my driver shots on the fairway often enough.)
Yes! Jennie C Putter

Going to grab some vokey wedges in 50 and 56* to complete the set.

Whats everyone think?

Hatchman
5th January 2016, 10:52 PM

XR Pro Irons
SLDR Mini Driver (since I just cant seem to get my driver shots on the fairway often enough.)
Yes! Jennie C Putter

Whats everyone think?

$ aside, the gear you've bought is much better than the multitude of crap starter sets that some shops try to pedal. Your off to a good start.
Welcome to the site.

Tjoobie
5th January 2016, 11:10 PM
$ aside, the gear you've bought is much better than the multitude of crap starter sets that some shops try to pedal. Your off to a good start.
Welcome to the site.

Thank you very much!

I was almost pushed into some sort of Cougar CX2500 set at drummonds for $888, which did not include a putter. I couldn't even find a review for the clubs.

So far I have been able to get the XR's, SLDR Mini (which I will use as my 3wood and driver) and Yes Jennie putter for a total of $750. I will splurge for a Big Bertha Staff Bag tomorrow at $200, which leaves me with 2 vokeys to purchase (probably $100 for 50 and 56*). an extra $200 for a set that will last me for a few years I hope was a good choice.

Icestorm959
8th January 2016, 09:32 AM
Staff bags look amazing but are cumbersome to lug around on course. Recommend starting out with a lighter stand or cart bag.

Kaniss
12th January 2016, 10:47 PM
Good to see you went with decent gear to begin with and not those crap sets they try to push on you. I did the same when I started I went all out and got flashy gear with a proper fitting done, it was the best decision I made. No need to upgrade your set now for a long time.

Paddywest
14th January 2016, 02:09 PM
Hey mate.

I've just started as well. I went for Wilson D200 irons. Hows your progress? I see your playing about the same as me 3 times a week.

Jazz18
14th January 2016, 07:51 PM

XR Pro Irons
Yes! Jennie C Putter

Whats everyone think?

Nice start. You've done very well. Add the vokeys and you've go a great bit of kit full stop. Never mind as a starter set.

Well done and welcome.

Spalf
13th February 2016, 07:44 PM
I hope no-one minds me jumping onto this thread. I'm looking at getting a set of clubs. I'm only playing once per week max and not every week (time constraints with work and young kids). I'm approximately 6ft - 6ft1. I've been looking at just getting a package set from golf clearance outlet (maybe the tommy armour set?). I understand the recommendation from above was to go and get measured up etc, however, given that for the foreseeable future i will be only playing once a week, is the recommendation still the same or do you think i can get away with a package set?

I've used a couple of mates packaged sets recently and they seem to be ok for me. Thanks for any assistance.

Rascal
13th February 2016, 11:49 PM
Where are you based mate? Have a set of Tommy amour evo 3 that i could sell you, they are used but could be a good start if you wanted

Daves
14th February 2016, 08:36 AM
I hope no-one minds me jumping onto this thread. I'm looking at getting a set of clubs. I'm only playing once per week max and not every week (time constraints with work and young kids). I'm approximately 6ft - 6ft1. I've been looking at just getting a package set from golf clearance outlet (maybe the tommy armour set?). I understand the recommendation from above was to go and get measured up etc, however, given that for the foreseeable future i will be only playing once a week, is the recommendation still the same or do you think i can get away with a package set?

I've used a couple of mates packaged sets recently and they seem to be ok for me. Thanks for any assistance.

Hi Spalf, and welcome.

The upside of the cheap sets like Tommy Armours is that you can get your equipment comparatively quite cheap. The downsides are 1) they will be almost worthless once you use them, there is not much of a market for 2nd hand cheapies 2) they are built to a price, you get what you pay for. Having said that, if the choice is a cheap set or no clubs, then they are a no brainer.

What are your current clubs?

Spalf
14th February 2016, 10:07 AM
Hi Rascal,

Based in North Western Sydney, but i think i'd prefer to buy a new set if i go for Tommy Armour

Hi Daves and thanks :)

At the moment, the only two clubs i own are a putter and a pitching wedge i bought from BigW about 15 years ago. Both are in good condition and i don't mind them to be perfectly honest. I know they aren't the latest and greatest, but i figure they are a putter and a wedge, can't be too bad surely. Mostly i am just sharing a couple of mates clubs or hiring clubs from the range or club, which i want to get away from for a number of reasons which i'm sure don't need to be mentioned.

I guess i have a couple of options -

1) Buy the packaged set and just play away with those
2) I keep forking out money to hire clubs and save a bit more and put forward a better case to my wife to spend some more
3) I look at the second hand market, get a wood, couple of irons, a bag and a buggy to go with my current clubs and just play with those for a while.

Its a tough decision as i like the idea of having a full set to get used to etc, so any advice that may convince me either way would be appreciated.

If its any help to give you an idea of where i'm at, i went around a short 9 hole course (par 29) in 45 yesterday, including a birdie and a par, which was my first time on a course in probably 10 years.

simmsy
14th February 2016, 10:57 AM
I would be buying a cheap set up on this forum.
Buy a cheap set here and then once you've done with it sell it back here. You will lose less money in the long run and get a better set of clubs straight up.

Daves
14th February 2016, 11:07 AM
Hi Rascal,

Based in North Western Sydney, but i think i'd prefer to buy a new set if i go for Tommy Armour

Hi Daves and thanks :)

At the moment, the only two clubs i own are a putter and a pitching wedge i bought from BigW about 15 years ago. Both are in good condition and i don't mind them to be perfectly honest. I know they aren't the latest and greatest, but i figure they are a putter and a wedge, can't be too bad surely. Mostly i am just sharing a couple of mates clubs or hiring clubs from the range or club, which i want to get away from for a number of reasons which i'm sure don't need to be mentioned.

I guess i have a couple of options -

1) Buy the packaged set and just play away with those
2) I keep forking out money to hire clubs and save a bit more and put forward a better case to my wife to spend some more
3) I look at the second hand market, get a wood, couple of irons, a bag and a buggy to go with my current clubs and just play with those for a while.

Its a tough decision as i like the idea of having a full set to get used to etc, so any advice that may convince me either way would be appreciated.

If its any help to give you an idea of where i'm at, i went around a short 9 hole course (par 29) in 45 yesterday, including a birdie and a par, which was my first time on a course in probably 10 years.

I am not sure about the GCO in Sydney, but the one here in Brisbane has Pros working in the shop, so they should be able to give you some advice on fitting etc. They also sell 2nd hand clubs, so you could potentially put together a set that way.

You probably need a checklist of what you need, and what you would like;

You have a Putter so that is covered. Putters are very personal things and the putter in a set is probably not going to add much. A new or new 2nd hand putter is always nice, but it is a like not a want for you.

You need at least a Sand Wedge. Sounds like you already have one, so that is covered in terms of need.

So that means you need some irons, and a Driver. Not essential but it would be good to also have some sort of Fairway/Hybrid club. If not, then you need at least a 4i iron in your iron set. You will also need a bag. A Stand bag if you are going to carry your clubs. If you need a buggy, you can hire them or buy a cheap/2nd hand one.

Work out a budget, what is the total spend you can commit to. Then head to GCO and see what they can put together for you.

In terms of fitting, this would be preferred approach. But it is an expensive process, that then requires you to buy clubs that suit that fitting, and that usually won't be cheap either.

If you aren't in a hurry, hang around here for a while and you will see plenty of cheap clubs come up for sale. There are a few OG members in your area, a couple that do fitting work as well. If you are able to get to an OG golf day even better, meet a few members, who can provide with some guidance as well.

Dotty
14th February 2016, 11:30 AM
What Daves said, but go and see Nick or Todd at Power Golf, Castle Hill.

They have second hand gear in the back corner of the shop, so you can get superseded Callaway X Hot irons for the same cost as the 'Great Wall' Tommy Armours. Then add a driver, fairway wood, hybrid or wedge from their trade-in rack, as need and budget allows.

Drivers are usually $100-150, and were premium models 2-5 years ago, such as TM RBZ and Ping G20. Decent FW, hybrids and wedges are around $50 and up.

They also have hitting nets (unlike GCO Enfield) so you can try before you buy.

Spalf
14th February 2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks Daves, Dotty and Simms. I've dropped in to power golf before, but had the little one with me who didn't have the patience for it so only had a couple of minutes. I'll keep an eye out for some second hand gear that i have seen recommended above and in some of the other newbie threads and see what i can come up with.

Thanks again.. i'll come back if i find something i want opinions on :)

Garbage guts
14th February 2016, 06:21 PM
I have used Tommy Armour royale and my 5 hits as well as speedblade I though I recommend get old blades for a month and you then will your Tommy Armour will be hit as well as any other clubs my two cents worth a

mrbluu
14th February 2016, 09:48 PM
Thanks Daves, Dotty and Simms. I've dropped in to power golf before, but had the little one with me who didn't have the patience for it so only had a couple of minutes. I'll keep an eye out for some second hand gear that i have seen recommended above and in some of the other newbie threads and see what i can come up with.

Thanks again.. i'll come back if i find something i want opinions on :)
Or u can buy stuff Gumtree. If u see something on there u like, post it in this thread and we can let u know if its well priced.

Like Daves said, if u buy the TA clubs, the won't be worth anything at all if u decide to sell. If u buy decent secondhand branded clubs, they have already depreciated.

Lagerlover
14th February 2016, 10:13 PM
I am not sure about the GCO in Sydney, but the one here in Brisbane has Pros working in the shop, so they should be able to give you some advice on fitting etc. They also sell 2nd hand clubs, so you could potentially put together a set that way.

You probably need a checklist of what you need, and what you would like;

So that means you need some irons, and a Driver. Not essential but it would be good to also have some sort of Fairway/Hybrid club. If not, then you need at least a 4i iron in your iron set. You will also need a bag. A Stand bag if you are going to carry your clubs. If you need a buggy, you can't go past the clicgears. Keep an eye on gumtree....

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/richmond/golf/clicgear-3-0-golf-pushcart-buggy-with-cover-and-brush-/1104232937

Work out a budget, what is the total spend you can commit to. Then head to GCO and see what they can put together for you.

In terms of fitting, this would be preferred approach. But it is an expensive process, that then requires you to buy clubs that suit that fitting, and that usually won't be cheap either.

If you aren't in a hurry, hang around here for a while and you will see plenty of cheap clubs come up for sale. There are a few OG members in your area, a couple that do fitting work as well. If you are able to get to an OG golf day even better, meet a few members, who can provide with some guidance as well.

Nice find

Tjoobie
15th February 2016, 09:42 PM
So since posting this thread I have been progressing nicely.

I have an approximate handicap or 24 and I am going to see a pro for the first time tomorrow.

The clubs are serving me well, however I purchased the following additional clubs: TM Aeroburner Hybrid, XR 3 Wood, Biocell Driver, Mack Daddy 3 wedge at 58*.

If I can recommend this setup to anybody I would (its not THAT cheap tho)