PDA

View Full Version : SA: Wirrina Feb/Mar?

coalesce
29th December 2015, 10:15 PM
Based on this deal:

http://crazygolfdeals.com.au/deal/south-australia/18-holes-of-golf-for-2-with-a-cart-drinks-at-the-beautiful-wirrina-golf-resort?affiliate_code=facebook&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=facebook

I've bought 2 vouchers (so 4 players), but others could buy more before the deal expires tomorrow morning (Thurs 31st)

Each player gets golf, half a cart and a drink for $29.50

Looking at suitable dates, Sun 7th Feb could be good, but we have until mid-April if that date is no good

1 coalesce
2 Hatchman (subject to Ministerial approval)
3 Hard_Pan (light pencil)
4 Chilled
?

nadg63
30th December 2015, 06:02 AM
Shudder! The memories ....... �� Course is okay tho.

Hatchman
30th December 2015, 06:43 AM
Work device so I can't see anything Facebook. How long have we got to use it?
I'm not a fan of Wirrina but I'll be in. Jan or Feb OzGolf round would be good,

coalesce
30th December 2015, 09:17 AM
The page isn't on facebook - it just came up as a promoted ad. The deal is available until something like 5.30am tomorrow, but here's the main points:

A superb opportunity to play one of the finest golf courses in South Australia - The Wirrina Golf Resort. Two Players with a cart, a beer or soft drink. Normally $128, Today just $59!You Receive

18 Holes for Two Players at Wirrina Golf Resort
Motorised golf cart for your game
Pint of Beer or Soft Drink each
Bookings available daily
Valid for use 11/1/16 – 11/4/16

Not valid for use on Public Holidays
Maximum of 8 vouchers can be redeemed per golf booking (Total 16 players per group reservation)

Hatchman
30th December 2015, 09:39 AM
I'm happy to send you some $ to jump on it.

coalesce
30th December 2015, 10:09 AM
Ok. I've bought 2 vouchers (so 4 players).

What's a good day for an OzGolf visit to Wirrina then?

Sun 7th Feb?

Hard_Pan
30th December 2015, 11:57 AM
Playing Pennant that time of year (8 weeks from end of Jan). Very light pencil for me at this stage.

coalesce
30th December 2015, 01:04 PM
Date still open to suggestion - maybe later in Feb would work better?

Hatchman
30th December 2015, 01:27 PM
I'll need to check my calendar and consult with the Minister.

Chilled
30th December 2015, 02:25 PM
Count me in. I'm a definite. Love Wirrina.

Hatchman
30th December 2015, 10:39 PM
Approval not required, just needed to check if we're committed to any relli shindigs any of the weekends.
All weekends free apart from first one in Feb. I do prefer some where in the middle of the month thou.

coalesce
30th December 2015, 11:05 PM
I'm definitely away the 21st and not sure about the 14th. 28th could work - hardly the middle of the month tho! That's assuming it needs to be a Sunday?

Chilled
30th December 2015, 11:26 PM
That's assuming it needs to be a Sunday?Saturday comp would probably be fine. I've played there plenty of times in the comp on a Saturday (comp between 7 and 9am iirc), Mark in the Pro shop is always extremely accommodating for me whenever I want to play there.

Hatchman
31st December 2015, 10:38 AM
Saturday or Sunday, not fussed here. End of month is still ok if mid month doesn't fit.

Hard_Pan
31st December 2015, 05:19 PM
Pennant is on Sundays so a Saturday will suit me.

Hatchman
5th January 2016, 08:10 PM
Anymore thoughts on which Saturday ;) we're going to play?

Hatchman
7th January 2016, 06:38 PM
Sunday 17th Jan is out for me now (family do)

coalesce
8th January 2016, 11:10 AM
I'll have to check the calendar when I get home, but I can rule out a few weekends from memory and other posts in the thread. I think we are looking at Feb 20th, Feb 27th or Mar 5th - all Saturdays

Does anyone have any preference?

Hard_Pan
8th January 2016, 02:47 PM
Sat Feb 20 works for me as it's a par round at NH. Feb 27 is first qualifying round of our Club Champs and 5 March is MM (as mentioned above all Sundays thru Feb and March are Pennant for me). Sat March 12 is good also (another Par round :) ).

Hatchman
9th January 2016, 10:22 PM
27th of Feb is out for me as that's the Hatchlings birthday. My day at water world has been locked in by the Minister.

Saturday 20th Feb works well here.

coalesce
10th January 2016, 03:32 PM
Just checked the calendar and I can't do 20th as I'm interstate

How is Mar 12th for you Hatchy?

Hatchman
19th January 2016, 06:12 PM
Ok, my calendar for the next few weekends to try and fix a date.
Preference is for a Saturday so it can be golflinked in their comp but not essential.

Sat Jan 23 - no good
Sun Jan 24 - no good
Sat Jan 30 - ok
Sun Jan 31 - ok

Sat Feb 6 - no good
Sun Feb 7 - ok
Sat Feb 13 - ok
Sun Feb 14 - ok
Sat Feb 20 - ok
Sun Feb 21 - ok
Sat Feb 27 - no good
Sun Feb 28 - no good

Sat March 5 - ok
Sat March 6 - ok
Sat March 12 - ok
Sun March 13 -ok

Hard_Pan
19th January 2016, 08:02 PM
Feb 14 is a Sunday Hatch. Saturday Feb 13 works for me; Stableford at NH but I can pass.

Hatchman
19th January 2016, 09:12 PM
Cheers, fixed my list.

Chilled
21st January 2016, 08:18 AM
14th works for me.

Hatchman
24th January 2016, 11:35 PM
14th is that silly date where the female species expects more attention than normal ��
Mine is ok with golf on that day, even score planned for another day.

Hatchman
1st February 2016, 05:36 PM
Any thoughts on what date we're having this game?

wazamac
1st February 2016, 05:50 PM
If you are doing the 14th and Hard_Pan can't make it. I will fill his spot.

coalesce
1st February 2016, 09:05 PM
I can't do 14th. Not worth the aggro I'd get from the other half

If there's 4 who want to do it on that date tho I'm happy to sell on the vouchers

Lagerlover
1st February 2016, 10:02 PM
I'm out.

highballin
1st February 2016, 10:23 PM
I'm out.

Me too

Hard_Pan
1st February 2016, 11:30 PM
Can't make 14 Feb, sorry.

Chilled
2nd February 2016, 06:14 AM
A later date is fine with me.

Hatchman
17th February 2016, 12:01 AM
Where we at with this?

coalesce
17th February 2016, 09:55 AM
Based on the posts above, Sat Mar 12 looks to be the next one with availability for at least 3 of us? Is everyone still good for that date?

Chilled
17th February 2016, 09:59 AM
Yes.

Hard_Pan
17th February 2016, 01:13 PM
We've got 1st round matchplay for our Club Champs on that Saturday so if I qualify (week before), I'm out. I'll let you know either way.

And on the Sunday that weekend we've might make the Final of the SAPC Pennant. Will know if the Sunday's clear the week before but at this stage, given we're 2 & 1 as a team with a decent average, we're still have a good chance.

So, long story short; still light pencil for me. :)

Hatchman
17th February 2016, 02:07 PM
Sat March 12 is good for me.

coalesce
17th February 2016, 02:54 PM
Wazamac? How are you fixed?

We can go with this date - and I'm happy to drop out if you can make it Hard_Pan so:

Hatchman
Chilled
Hard_Pan/coalesce
wazamac/coalesce

I'll give them a call and see when we can book anything...

wazamac
17th February 2016, 05:45 PM
Doesn't bother me. I will join if someone can't make it but I don't expect anyone to drop out to fit me in.
If it's so then I would probably need to play early to mid morning at the latest cause I fly out the next day OS.

coalesce
17th February 2016, 06:51 PM
Ok. I'll call them tomorrow morning and see what I can do

hippo10
19th February 2016, 12:06 PM
There's a chance I could make this if it's going to bump the numbers up to 6 for two groups? I'm happy paying the full price as I think you only have 2 vouchers.

Alternatively if anyone is free sometime during Wed 6th - Fri 8th and wants to have a hit in the Adelaide region let me know.

coalesce
19th February 2016, 01:35 PM
When will you know? The deal has come up again on crazygolfdeals a few times since I originally got these ones

hippo10
19th February 2016, 11:59 PM
When will you know? The deal has come up again on crazygolfdeals a few times since I originally got these ones
Just talked to my wife and apparently we already have plans for the Sat, sorry. Might start a new thread for a during the week round.

Chilled
26th February 2016, 11:02 AM
What's happening with this??

coalesce
29th February 2016, 11:36 AM
I just called them and we can't get on before 1pm on a Saturday. Looking at the above, I think that would be a problem for wazamac, and potentially still HP, which would only leave us with 3 players.

So we have the following options:

1) Go with it and find another player (or split the 2 vouchers 3 ways instead, i.e. $40 each instead of $29.50 - not sure if we'd still get the 4th drink!)
2) Bump it to another Sat at 1pm
3) Move to a Sunday when we can get on earlier

My preference is option 2 - moving it to the 19th at 1pm. What say you SA OZGolfers?

Chilled
29th February 2016, 12:12 PM
Strange, I always was able to get on around 9:30 iirc, straight after the small competition field. I guess it's because of the vouchers.

Sat at 1pm is fine with me. I'll ask a mate if he's interested.

Not overly keen on a sunday game.

coalesce
29th February 2016, 12:45 PM
I didn't even get as far as saying I had the vouchers - I just asked when the earliest we could get on was for a Saturday

wazamac
29th February 2016, 12:52 PM
Isn't Monday the 14th a Public Holiday( Adelaide Cup). Just saying even though I can't play.

highballin
29th February 2016, 12:52 PM
You guys seem to be one player short or missing one short player depending on how you look at it:lol:

wazamac
29th February 2016, 12:54 PM
Need to book JasonB in if they need a short player.:lol:

Chilled
29th February 2016, 12:55 PM
I didn't even get as far as saying I had the vouchers - I just asked when the earliest we could get on was for a SaturdayHmmm, even stranger. Who did you talk to?

coalesce
29th February 2016, 12:56 PM
Hmmm, even stranger. Who did you talk to?

I didn't get/ask for a name, but she was female.

Chilled
29th February 2016, 12:59 PM
I didn't get/ask for a name, but she was female.I think I know who that is, although I can't recall her name right now. I'll give them a call and see what I can do.

Hatchman
29th February 2016, 03:03 PM
Saturday at 1pm is fine with me. The whole idea of Saturday was to play in the comp as well wasn't it.
Maybe woman thought you were booking for for a bunch of choppers with no hcps rather than a bunch of choppers with hcps ��

Chilled
29th February 2016, 03:07 PM
Unless things have changed down there you're definitely not going to get in a comp at 1pm on a Saturday at Wirrina. Comp closes pretty early due to the low member numbers. Well that's what it was like when prior, during and after I was a member there.

coalesce
29th February 2016, 04:13 PM
Well, for 12th at 1pm to work, we need an extra player, because based on his earlier post wazamac can't play that late.

So on that basis, I'll wait to hear from Chilled - as to whether he has a +1, or gets any joy phoning up and getting an earlier time (in the comp)

Personally, I don't care about there being a comp, and am happy to play on another day (Sat or Sun) if it means we have the full 4 people.

Chilled
29th February 2016, 04:24 PM
I have a +1 for the 12th but he works sundays so this would only be ok for saturday.

coalesce
1st March 2016, 02:18 PM
Ok thanks, let me know if I should call back and book 1pm, or if you get any joy trying to get earlier

Hatchman
3rd March 2016, 01:41 PM
This been finalised yet?
Surely if they're told we want to play comp they'll grant an early spot?

Chilled
3rd March 2016, 02:28 PM
I phoned this morning and members only until 1:30pm on Saturdays. I asked what about if we wanted to go in the comp. She didn't seem to confident about answering the question so she has passed my details onto the club secretary Bob. Bob will hopefully call me back soon.

It would be easier to get myself put in jail.....*sigh*

Chilled
3rd March 2016, 02:49 PM
Ok, got some prompt service! And very very welcoming fellow too.

Just got a phone call from the club sec Bob and he has booked two tee times for us on Sat 12th ....8:36am and 8:44am. We will be teeing off right behind his group so he will come and introduce himself. Comp fee is $6 which I think will be mandatory for everyone seeing as we are in the comp field.....and I think it would just be a good courtesy to make sure we all go in the comp. He did ask if we are all club members and have full golflink numbers and handicaps. $6 comp fee covers NTP and birdies, with a $50 first prize, depending on numbers in the comp.

I did mention the golf vouchers but he said he was a bit unsure about them because he's just the club of members who use the facilities....Wirrina management apparently make the decision about vouchers etc. Anyways, he said he will get back to me about the voucher thing. I forgot to ask about carts but will mention it when he calls back. I have his mobile number so I can follow anything up with him.

TLDR; two tee times booked for Sat 12th March, 8:36am/8:44am.

wazamac
3rd March 2016, 03:04 PM
Cheers Chilled. Let me know if you need me or if you are still using your +1. Happy either way cause if I don't play there I will just play at the Vines.

Chilled
3rd March 2016, 03:09 PM
Well we've got two tee times so we could do two groups of three? Bob was happy for us to split and do whatever we want in our two tee times. It's 6 people playing or was it 5? (Those numbers are including my +1).

As long as we have enough vouchers of course.

Hatchman
3rd March 2016, 05:23 PM
Thanks Chilled.

It's a shame it's been so complex to organise.

Caller: Hello, Id like to make a booking for a round of golf on Saturday ...... for an early tee time.
Pro Shop: I'm sorry the course is closed for members comp up up until ????? time. You can play after that.
Caller: We'd like to play in the comp if that ok?
Pro Shop: Are you currently members of a club and have official handicaps and a Golf Link number?
Caller: Yes all are members, have handicaps and have Golflink numbers.
Pro Shop: Ok, your welcome to join in the comp. What tee times would you like. We have .............

Fairly simple really. You'd think the place with all the issues they've had to stay solvent over the years would be a little more organised.

coalesce
3rd March 2016, 09:55 PM
Thanks Chilled. Agreed places make it harder than it needs to be but it is fair enough so long as they fill their tee times. If they don't it's just dumb

Happy to stink it up in the comp. Someone has to bump up the DSR for everyone else

There's 5 with wazamac (including your +1 Chilled). Hard_Pan would make 6 if he's free?

Chilled
4th March 2016, 09:04 AM
Yep that's right coal.

I think Hard_Pan needs to find out whether he qualifies this weekend for his club champs for next weekend.

Anyways, probably doesn't matter what happens with HP, two tee times already locked in and we just arrange groups based on who decides to rock up.

So waza, you're definitely in. That makes 4 definite and then + HP, if he fails this weekend. My +1 is not fussed either way, he was happy to make up the numbers if required.

wazamac
4th March 2016, 10:23 AM
Never played " the holiday mood" course, so I'll give it a crack. Not fussed whether I pay the full amount.

Chilled
4th March 2016, 11:18 AM
I reckon it's a great course. After being a member there for a couple of years I know definitely where not to go! But it's good fun....quite hilly and a surprising amount of water traps on the course. Couple of holes you have to shoot over water, plus some lateral water hazards too. Greens can be a bit patchy at times, depending on the weather I guess...but they are still fine to putt on. Some elevated tee's but also some where you are shooting up hills which can be quite tricky. Probably more a faders course and some of the holes can be challenging, especially index one dogleg par 4 up the hill. Lovely 18th hole that can be driven by the longer hitters.

All in all probably one of the most interesting and varied country courses I've ever played.

wazamac
4th March 2016, 12:27 PM
You mean skim across the water.

Chilled
4th March 2016, 12:41 PM
No space on the scorecard to say how you got there :D

Chilled
4th March 2016, 01:00 PM
....otherwise I'd be writing essays :D

Hard_Pan
4th March 2016, 01:42 PM
No space on the scorecard to say how you got there :D

....otherwise I'd be writing essays :D Which ipso facto, is why this forum exists!! :)

Hard_Pan
5th March 2016, 01:53 PM
I'm in the NH Club Champs next Sat guys so regrettably, I'm out for Wirrina.. :(

Chilled
5th March 2016, 05:14 PM
I won't bother with my +1 guys, so that makes a nice even four, see you all down there : )

Hatchman
5th March 2016, 05:19 PM
I'm in the NH Club Champs next Sat guys so regrettably, I'm out for Wirrina.. :(

Well done on getting in HP.

Hard_Pan
5th March 2016, 05:23 PM
Thanks Hatch.

Chilled
9th March 2016, 05:33 PM
30C and fine for Saturday.

wazamac
9th March 2016, 05:50 PM
Which means about 25 at Wirinna with a 25kph southerly.

Chilled
10th March 2016, 10:18 AM
When I was a member of Wirrina we used to go down there to avoid the bad weather in Adelaide. It could be absolutely terrible here and brilliant down there.

wazamac
11th March 2016, 07:21 PM
See you boys tomorrow for a bit of worm burning. Hope the rough is cut short enough.

coalesce
11th March 2016, 07:34 PM
Remember that assuming our vouchers work (after all the initial reason for going!) we shouldn't have to pay anything and we should get a motorised cart and a drink per pair. I'll believe it when I see it

Will try and get there early enough to get in the pro shop first and sort stuff out, but if anyone is there early let me know and I'll send you the vouchers

Chilled
11th March 2016, 07:39 PM
Bob hasn't gotten back to me about the vouchers....so it they are not accepted we need to put the hard word on. As for carts, well, I'd say all the members will grab them, unless as you say, we get there super early to grab some. I'll try and get there pretty early.

coalesce
11th March 2016, 07:45 PM
If not I'm free next Sat to play after 1pm :) - not that the voucher says you have to

Hatchman
11th March 2016, 08:19 PM
It's a 2hr 20min drive for me so I won't be too early.

Chilled
11th March 2016, 08:56 PM
^^ Poor excuse.

If Wirrina falls through we could always play Lady bay :D

wazamac
11th March 2016, 09:13 PM
Lady Boys? I will have my fill of Lady Boys over the next two weeks!

Chilled
11th March 2016, 10:04 PM
Anyone who shoots under 80 I'll buy them a drink :D

coalesce
11th March 2016, 10:10 PM
Bring your wallet!

wazamac
11th March 2016, 10:50 PM
80 points that is!

nadg63
11th March 2016, 11:35 PM
Wirrina+cart+Coalesce = bad/painful memories :)

Hatchman
12th March 2016, 08:30 AM
Bob hasn't gotten back to me about the vouchers....so it they are not accepted we need to put the hard word on. As for carts, well, I'd say all the members will grab them, unless as you say, we get there super early to grab some. I'll try and get there pretty early.

Early? It's 8:00 and I'm the only one here [emoji15]

Wild life run this morning. Skippy every where, nearly got one just out of Gumeracha.

Hatchman
12th March 2016, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the game all. While I may not have enjoyed my own game I enjoyed the company apart from when 3 pricks ν*½νΈ‡ were all hoping I missed the 3rd putt on the 6th. Im happy to report I disapoint and spoilt their joy ν*½νΈ.

Course condition could best be described as average. Greens were versed in pace sloooow, spongy and some had large bare patches in them and varied in pace. Hardly a putt bigger than 8foot holed between all of us all day. Sourounds were long and fluffy. Local rule of preferred lie in bunkers was in play as they have been well and truly neglected.
The whole constantly trying to land the drive in an area half as wide as the fairway to cater for the ball run off the slope with a 2 club wind becomes tiresome.
I've got it out of my system now and don't have to play Wirrina again for another 15 odd years ν*½νΈ€.

Locals were very welcoming. No problems using the vouchers so green fees, cart and drink for $30 is a good deal.

Now to the scores:
Chilled 34
Wazamac 32
Hatchman 28
Coalesce 23

Chilled featured in the ball run down and scored a NTP on the 165m par three playing into a strong 2 club wind. Special mention to the OzGolfer that played a very strategic layup short of the water that starts about 90m after the tee block ν*½νΈ, far too clever.

Are Cougar balls any good?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160312/99207b0cbd9f922906bf2d791fa55a02.jpg

Chilled
12th March 2016, 07:50 PM
The ball on the right isn't much better either, it's a srixon soft feel... a very budget srixon. Srixon was for placing 3rd in A grade I think....lost 2nd place in count back.

Excellent day and out company fun as always. I'm free to admit I love the course and I generally tend to do quite well there for some reason. Not an overly long course but one you have ot think your way around. Fairways were as I remember them, I found the bunkers ok to get out of.....but some bare patches on some greens.

At least the greens are big enough that a lot of times they don't even figure in your putting. Weather excellent, with a bit of wind, but hey, it's Wirrina of course. For $30 each, which was greens fees including a cart and free drink, that's incredible value. They certainly are looking to increase patronage and I'm happy to oblige with deals like this.

Locals were very friendly and some of that may be in part to promoting the place, I've always found them to be super friendly anyways.

Very enjoyable day.

I think coalesce has a leave pass for next saturday but I'll leave him to organise. Also, calling Hard_Pan! Are you there? We discussed coming down for a hit there one day. I think I've only played it once, from memory.

wazamac
12th March 2016, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the hit boys. really enjoyed the layout of the course. Conditioning was average but considering the amount that that place has been bought and sold, it's no wonder.
Probably wouldn't want to walk as it can be along way between tees. Couldn't hit a green in regulation but scrambled pretty well for my 32 with 2 wipes.
Iron play was probably my biggest problem today.
Oh well, 2 weeks to think about it.

Hard_Pan
13th March 2016, 03:37 PM
Message received loud'n clear Chilled. Would be my honour to host you and the local Ozgolf crew on my home track; delapidated as it is because of its ownership situation at the moment.r

Chilled
13th March 2016, 07:34 PM
^^ Cheers buddy, look forward to it.

Well I think Wirrina did something to me, got me all fired up, 78 off the stick at Kooey today, got up and down maybe 7 or 8 times, with 26 putts. Just one of those twice-a-year days I guess.