PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Golf Club... What to expect?

Chapzzzz
28th December 2015, 12:27 PM
Hi All...

We're coming down to Melbourne early January for my son to play the Victorian Junior Masters.
It's being played at Waverly & Churchill Park.

However we've been invited to play at the Victoria Golf club which I sort of understand to be one of the better clubs in Melbourne.

Any one care to share their opinions on Victoria Golf Club and what to expect?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Chapzzzz

Captain Nemo
28th December 2015, 12:58 PM
Mark, see here:
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/41718-2015-Uncivil-War-III-February-6th-Victoria-Golf-Club

Beautiful track, very enjoyable...
Say hello to the young fella and good luck.
L

GuyIncognito
28th December 2015, 12:58 PM
Tremendous bunkering and a lot of advantage in being able to hit a long ball.

oldracer
28th December 2015, 01:11 PM
as the reigning Vic Golf Club Ozgolf Champ, it is all about position, position, position 8) have fun as I don't remember very much about it at all

BenM
28th December 2015, 02:28 PM
Very nice track in fantastic condition. Pure fairways and rock hard greens, I recommend not flying all your shots to the green, try to bounce them just short and run on where possible.

LarryLong
28th December 2015, 03:37 PM
Very nice track in fantastic condition. Pure fairways and rock hard greens, I recommend not flying all your shots to the green, try to bounce them just short and run on where possible.

This. The best shot I hit all day was a 4 hybrid on the 1st. Perfectly struck, I expected it to roll up towards the green somewhere, but it pinged off the hard ground and rolled at least 50 or 60 metres - all the way into the bunker at the back of the green. I was shattered.

My only other observations were that the bunkers weren't anywhere near as sandy as I expected, and the grass was very nice to walk on.

oldracer
28th December 2015, 03:54 PM
"grass was very nice to walk on" haha, you n Shaz the barefoot golfers at VIC :roll:

westy
28th December 2015, 04:21 PM
Expect proper sandbelt golf - one of only three proper sandbelt courses in Melbourne (RM and KH being the other two, with the rest being overgrown parkland courses)

Firm and fast if the weather is correct, good width, nice undulation, hard greens, excellent bunkering and in general a style of golf that offers options and does not always reward bombing.

And a nice bar

PerryGroves
28th December 2015, 04:31 PM
Wonderful course, I'm from NSW so was unaccustomed to the hard pan of the bunkers and was ill equipped the first time around. Brought a low bounce sand wedge the 2nd time I played and had more success.

WBennett
28th December 2015, 04:49 PM
Wonderful course, I'm from NSW so was unaccustomed to the hard pan of the bunkers and was ill equipped the first time around. Brought a low bounce sand wedge the 2nd time I played and had more success. Definately worth practising in the bunker down by the range. Bunkers dont have much sand by design so it takes a different technique.I really enjoyed the course. Significant undulation and an unusual P5 P5 finish to each 9. Stay under the hole on approaches - a club short is better than a club long in most cases.

Coldtopper
28th December 2015, 04:57 PM
Expect proper sandbelt golf - one of only three proper sandbelt courses in Melbourne (RM and KH being the other two, with the rest being overgrown parkland courses)

Firm and fast if the weather is correct, good width, nice undulation, hard greens, excellent bunkering and in general a style of golf that offers options and does not always reward bombing.

And a nice bar You obviously don't play Metro. Vic is ok and a good track but nothing compares to Metro's condition. Played it last week and its so far ahead of any course I've ever played. Can't wait to play it again in 6 weeks!

LarryLong
28th December 2015, 05:26 PM
Definately worth practising in the bunker down by the range. Bunkers dont have much sand by design so it takes a different technique.

What's the best technique? Swing hard and steep and try to get under the ball?

WBennett
28th December 2015, 05:56 PM
What's the best technique? Swing hard and steep and try to get under the ball?Ask a sandbelt expert that!For me it was a low bounce sand wedge and committing to the shot. Cant flick or scoop it out.

BenM
28th December 2015, 06:29 PM
Also the greens are some of the purest you'll ever putt on. They are quick and true. Bring your best putting stroke - you won't get a lot of massive swinging putts, the breaks are usually more subtle, and you can be confident that the ball won't die hard in one direction so you can lag them to the hole all day. It's all about pace.

Hux
28th December 2015, 06:42 PM
Running them onto the green is probably as good advice as I can give. They are tiered greens and if you hit the face of the tier with a shorter iron you are guaranteed to spin it back and off the green. I was hitting the ball pretty well last time I played but kept getting the reject with wedges spinning back off.

It is a pretty special course.

westy
28th December 2015, 06:54 PM
No I didn't forget Metro. Metro is well conditioned, but for design it isn't a patch on Vic.

Chapzzzz
28th December 2015, 08:25 PM
Thanks for your opinions guys.
From Darwin it's a long way away and certainly a lot different to what I'm used to...

Cheers
Chapzzzz

Coldtopper
28th December 2015, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your opinions guys.
From Darwin it's a long way away and certainly a lot different to what I'm used to...

Cheers
Chapzzzz whatever Westy thinks! You will want to see a decent course after those two shit tracks. Hope the kid plays well.

Jazz18
28th December 2015, 09:29 PM
No I didn't forget Metro. Metro is well conditioned, but for design it isn't a patch on Vic.

Does conditioning matter to you or is it all about the "design"?

Coldtopper
29th December 2015, 08:20 AM
Does conditioning matter to you or is it all about the "design"? I don't think Westy gets out much Jazz!

westy
29th December 2015, 09:58 AM
of course conditioning matters, but it is secondary. Otherwise we would all think the Australian is the best course in the country.

I have played all of the sandbelt numerous times and so have a view based on experienced - but it is still just my view. Metro is very good, but it is a flat site and it shows. With few natural undulations or real natural greens sites, everything has to be manufactured, and you can tell. Vic is a far better piece of land and the course benefits from that

BenM
29th December 2015, 10:53 AM
I can't speak for anyone else but generally speaking I'd rather play a great layout in good condition than a good layout in great condition.

Jazz18
29th December 2015, 03:52 PM
of course conditioning matters, but it is secondary. Otherwise we would all think the Australian is the best course in the country.

I have played all of the sandbelt numerous times and so have a view based on experienced - but it is still just my view. Metro is very good, but it is a flat site and it shows. With few natural undulations or real natural greens sites, everything has to be manufactured, and you can tell. Vic is a far better piece of land and the course benefits from that

If you ever get an invite to play the Aussie, just PM me. I'll take your spot if you're not interested.

westy
29th December 2015, 03:55 PM
Played it recently via recips. Its a fun day out, but RM it aint.

Jazz18
29th December 2015, 04:05 PM
Nice. Wish I had recips there. From what you wrote about it in the past, I wouldn't have thought it possible for you to enjoy it. Not all golf courses can be RM or Barnbougle or KH, but it doesn't mean they aren't great in different way.

Yossarian
29th December 2015, 04:16 PM
I'm getting the weirdest feeling of déjà vu right now.

Coldtopper
29th December 2015, 08:01 PM
I'm getting the weirdest feeling of déjà vu right now. so stop touching the mushroom then!

Chapzzzz
29th December 2015, 09:32 PM
I'll do my best to post a reply on my game & thoughts about the course.
Playing there this Sunday.
Have to work out which Scotty to take...

westy
30th December 2015, 10:22 AM
There are some decent bones there, but the aesthetics offend me. The grass is too green, the sand is too white and there are too many ponds. The old course pre Nicklaus would have been amazing

Jazz18
30th December 2015, 11:49 AM
I'll do my best to post a reply on my game & thoughts about the course.
Playing there this Sunday.
Have to work out which Scotty to take...

How many have you got? I'm going to need to start doing that soon. My massive collection comes to a grand total of 3. Beginners class I know compared to some on here and TCC.

I've never played Vic but I hear it's good. Enjoy.

Yossarian
30th December 2015, 12:34 PM
You like the shiny don't you Jazz.

Captain Nemo
30th December 2015, 01:57 PM
How many have you got? I'm going to need to start doing that soon. My massive collection comes to a grand total of 3. Beginners class I know compared to some on here and TCC.

I've never played Vic but I hear it's good. Enjoy.

Jazz, you will lose your shit if you saw what Mark has, really you would....
I've seen a small selection first hand a few times, outstanding....

Jazz18
30th December 2015, 05:05 PM
You like the shiny don't you Jazz.

I've been known to like the odd shiny thing. At least I know I'm not alone here :)

Jazz, you will lose your shit if you saw what Mark has, really you would....
I've seen a small selection first hand a few times, outstanding....

That coming from you is endorsement enough. I'm impressed without even seeing it!

benno_r
30th December 2015, 05:11 PM
I've been known to like the odd shiny thing. At least I know I'm not alone here :)

That coming from you is endorsement enough. I'm impressed without even seeing it!
You realise they are all Scottys right?

Not sure if he has anything decent though... [emoji13]

Captain Nemo
30th December 2015, 05:27 PM

He's got one I'd die for, I pester him each time I see it....

Jazz18
30th December 2015, 05:57 PM
He's got one I'd die for, I pester him each time I see it....

I'm sure I could find something too! :)

wazandnic
30th December 2015, 06:10 PM
I'm sure you could... It IS a very impressive collection!!

Chapzzzz
31st December 2015, 12:31 AM
I mostly collect the Tour hand stamped Scottys.
Although I do have a few Limited and a couple of OTR's
I think there's about 48 there at the moment.
I'm more active on TCC.
Benno you're more than welcome to call around and have a look. I'll be away for the next couple of weeks though.
Chapzzzz

Jazz18
31st December 2015, 01:16 AM
I mostly collect the Tour hand stamped Scottys.
Although I do have a few Limited and a couple of OTR's
I think there's about 48 there at the moment.
I'm more active on TCC.
Benno you're more than welcome to call around and have a look. I'll be away for the next couple of weeks though.
Chapzzzz

Holy crap! The boys weren't kidding. Love your work Chapzzzz!

aussieashley
31st December 2015, 06:47 AM
I mostly collect the Tour hand stamped Scottys.Although I do have a few Limited and a couple of OTR'sI think there's about 48 there at the moment.I'm more active on TCC.Benno you're more than welcome to call around and have a look. I'll be away for the next couple of weeks though.ChapzzzzVery nice.Any Laguna's in the collection?