PDA

View Full Version : Draw or Fade. Does it even matter?

Richo1
19th December 2015, 12:22 PM
Is one ball flight better than another? Thoughts? (I draw).

PerryGroves
19th December 2015, 01:11 PM
Like you when I am hitting it well I have a slight draw. There are days when I flip and it hooks badly. I have spent a lifetime in the left trees, albeit the new drivers are easier to hit straight.

You always want what you don't have so I always thought having a slight fade was an easier way to play golf when you aren't playing well.

LarryLong
19th December 2015, 01:21 PM
I do both. Randomly. I've always felt like a small fade is an easier shape to keep under control. Either is fine though if you know which way it is going.

live4golf
19th December 2015, 01:51 PM
I used to draw everything when I was younger, now I am straight/fade especially with the shorter clubs. Most good young fellas I play with predominately hit draws, maybe it is easier for you young blokes with your skill and supple bodies? :)

davepuppies
19th December 2015, 05:11 PM
I have always had a natural tendency to hit fades, but grew up thinking all the good players hit draws, so spend a lifetime trying to hit a draw.

If I had of accepted my natural flight and worked on that I would have had a much lower handicap.....

oldracer
19th December 2015, 07:21 PM
I have always had a natural tendency to hit fades, but grew up thinking all the good players hit draws, so spend a lifetime trying to hit a draw.

If I had of accepted my natural flight and worked on that I would have had a much lower handicap.....is that so, I am about the same and have spent the last 12 months trying to hit a draw specifiacally with driver, not so worried about irons but also trying to get the draw flight with my hybrids, maybe you are right, go with the fade as long as its not a slice!!!!

markTHEblake
19th December 2015, 07:36 PM
I do both.

goughy
20th December 2015, 07:09 AM
I too, do both. Unintentionally, unexpectedly, and I would probably call the fade a slice and the draw a hook!

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-you-can-talk-to-a-fade-but-a-hook-won-t-listen-lee-trevino-29-67-64.jpg

Daves
20th December 2015, 07:18 AM
Pick one and make it your go to. I find it hard to do both well. I hit mainly draws these days, hitting straight instead is relatively easy, hitting controlled fades is tougher. I tend to hit pulls instead, though progress is being made (manipulate the club face position, don't change the swing so much). It doesn't really matter which is predominate, if you are doing it right. If you are hitting ugly slices or hooks, different story, get some lessons , or buy new clubs!

westy
20th December 2015, 09:15 AM
As you get older, learing how to hit a sneaky low draw will allow you to keep distance

mrbluu
20th December 2015, 12:40 PM
Is one ball flight better than another? Thoughts? (I draw).

I like moving the ball both ways if I can depending on the hole and the shape of shot required. Probably not the smartest thing to do considering my issues with LOFT :p, but I find playing this way is fun.

Having said that, if its obvious that I'm hitting one shape consistently on the day, I will try to stick with that.

markTHEblake
20th December 2015, 03:12 PM
As you get older, learing how to hit a sneaky low draw will allow you to keep distance
what if you already hit a sneaky low draw?

JADO75
20th December 2015, 03:52 PM
Sometimes my cut has a silent N in it

Jazz18
20th December 2015, 07:17 PM
Sometimes my cut has a silent N in it

This! LOL!

markTHEblake
20th December 2015, 09:03 PM
Beware the silent Fan.

dee cee
20th December 2015, 09:57 PM
I reckon us hackers should stick to our stock shot, but know how to hit the other cause you will need it. Doesn't matter what you prefer, fade or draw. As a footnote I use to try hit most shots straight. It led to misses both ways. I find I'm more consistent if I try to move every shot. Some still go straight but I rarely have a miss that goes the wrong way. Easier to keep it on the course.

3Puttpete
20th December 2015, 10:52 PM
Beware the silent Fan.

Lagerlover
20th December 2015, 11:03 PM
Desmond Tutu?

3Puttpete
21st December 2015, 07:19 AM
Up, uuuup, uuuuuuuuuuuuup!

Hatchman
21st December 2015, 11:08 AM
I'm in trouble as a spray either side is the stock shot atm ��

goughy
21st December 2015, 03:20 PM
Hate it when you're hitting hooks so start aiming for them and immediately start slicing then right.

LarryLong
21st December 2015, 03:36 PM
Hate it when you're hitting hooks so start aiming for them and immediately start slicing then right.

Yep. My usual round is slices off the tee for the first few holes, and then I start drawing it somewhere between 5 or 7. The first draw of the day is always a disaster.

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd February 2016, 07:56 AM
My stock shot shape is a draw these days, and when I'm particularly unco I hit these
low duck hooks with my driver, because the club head is too far behind me, swing is too flat, and I can get in the habit of closing the club face too quickly. Or something along those lines.
Anyway, a ropey draw that turns back into the fairway is pretty awesome, except for when you need to hit a straight ball or a cut. In those situations I'm usually up the duff, so I've started practicing trying to move the ball the other way. I set up for a cut in the most simple way I've heard it explained (by Bernard Langer on one of the golf shows): point the club head at your target, line your body (feet and shoulders) up with where you want to start the ball, then just make your normally swing (i.e., swing where your body is aligned to). When I do this (so far, at least - I've only just started trying it) I either hit very small cuts, or I hit nice straight shots that don't really have any sideways movement at all.
Goes to show how shit my swing is if I set up for a cut and end up hitting it pretty straight. But I think if I have a reasonably reliable draw and am kind of able to fluke some straight shots, then I can mostly get by. But only being able to (with any modicum of confidence) move the ball one way can be a total pain in the arse. Take for example the 10th at Liverpool - a short left to right dogleg 4 with water on the corner and trees tight on the right from tee to nearly the water. You've either got to hit it straight off the tee, or conjure a little controlled fade that drifts back to the fairway. So I often end up lengthening the hole because I turn the ball over and am hitting my second from the left rough - potentially adding 25m to my approach shot. The trees tight on the right from the tree prevent a shot that starts out to the right and draws back to the fairway.

mrbluu
2nd February 2016, 08:00 AM
My stock shot shape is a draw these days, and when I'm particularly unco I hit these
low duck hooks with my driver, because the club head is too far behind me, swing is too flat, and I can get in the habit of closing the club face too quickly. Or something along those lines.
Anyway, a ropey draw that turns back into the fairway is pretty awesome, except for when you need to hit a straight ball or a cut. In those situations I'm usually up the duff, so I've started practicing trying to move the ball the other way. I set up for a cut in the most simple way I've heard it explained (by Bernard Langer on one of the golf shows): point the club head at your target, line your body (feet and shoulders) up with where you want to start the ball, then just make your normally swing (i.e., swing where your body is aligned to). When I do this (so far, at least - I've only just started trying it) I either hit very small cuts, or I hit nice straight shots that don't really have any sideways movement at all.
Goes to show how shit my swing is if I set up for a cut and end up hitting it pretty straight. But I think if I have a reasonably reliable draw and am kind of able to fluke some straight shots, then I can mostly get by. But only being able to (with any modicum of confidence) move the ball one way can be a total pain in the arse. Take for example the 10th at Liverpool - a short left to right dogleg 4 with water on the corner and trees tight on the right from tee to nearly the water. You've either got to hit it straight off the tee, or conjure a little controlled fade that drifts back to the fairway. So I often end up lengthening the hole because I turn the ball over and am hitting my second from the left rough - potentially adding 25m to my approach shot. The trees tight on the right from the tree prevent a shot that starts out to the right and draws back to the fairway.

Or you can play it like I do. Take a 2iron off the tee for position and cut the ears off it, take a drop, knock the next one one and make 5/1.

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd February 2016, 08:05 AM
Or you can play it like I do. Take a 2iron off the tee for position and cut the ears off it, take a drop, knock the next one one and make 5/1.

Now there's a man who knows his bread and butter:). I usually hit hybrid or 3-iron off the tee on that hole. Can be a PW in if you put it near (but not in) the water, or a 6 or 7-iron if you're in the left rough or near the big GUR area further left. I'm playing Cabra tomorrow morning...that will test my newfound (new fluked:)) ability to hit straight shots:).

highballin
2nd February 2016, 08:06 AM
Depends on the hole shape and if there is OB or water down one side. I will tee up on the side where the trouble is and try and hit fade or draw away from the trouble.

When I am playing well this generally means the worst outcome is just off the fairway or in the trees but not OB or in the water.

It's from there on where I generally f*ck the hole up.

Daves
2nd February 2016, 08:13 AM
I have the same issue Fuzzy. Stock shot is a draw, and I really struggle to hit a cut when I need too. Bad shot is a pull right (being a Lefty).

A couple of things I am working on. 1) from my teaching Pro who got me hitting the draw in the first place, I need more hip bump i.e. lateral hip slide. 2) a swing tip in the latest AGD from J B Holmes, your body has to rotate toward target in front of the club, and turn all the way through. The Pull apparently comes from the body rotation stopping and the club catching up (though I am talented and can also do it via an OTT move with the open set up!).

benno_r
2nd February 2016, 08:48 AM
Depends on the hole shape and if there is OB or water down one side. I will tee up on the side where the trouble is and try and hit fade or draw away from the trouble.

When I am playing well this generally means the worst outcome is just off the fairway or in the trees but not OB or in the water.

It's from there on where I generally f*ck the hole up.
You mean a draw, or a draw?

Flusha!

mrbluu
2nd February 2016, 08:54 AM
Now there's a man who knows his bread and butter:). I usually hit hybrid or 3-iron off the tee on that hole. Can be a PW in if you put it near (but not in) the water, or a 6 or 7-iron if you're on the left round or near the big GUR further left. I'm playing Cabra tomorrow morning...that test my newfound (new fluked:)) ability to hit straight shots:).

I've also found that when I cold top the ball, the flight is pretty straight....hahahaha

Good luck tomorrow mate, what time are you off??

My elbow is stuffed so maybe no golf for a few weeks for me

highballin
2nd February 2016, 08:59 AM
You mean a draw, or a draw?

Flusha!

Depends on wind direction:neutral:

3oneday
2nd February 2016, 09:11 AM
My elbow is stuffed so maybe no golf for a few weeks for metoo many beers?

mrbluu
2nd February 2016, 09:13 AM
too many beers?
I wish.

I think I was skimming too many stones and shells at Bundeena on Australia Day with my kids. That will teach me to be a good dad, cos I don't seem to hurt myself when I'm at golf !!!

dee cee
2nd February 2016, 09:15 AM
4 iron, 9 iron, chip and three putts here... Hit a draw off the tee though....

highballin
I wish.

I think I was skimming too many stones and shells at Bundeena on Australia Day with my kids. That will teach me to be a good dad, cos I don't seem to hurt myself when I'm at golf !!!

Too many pulls I mean hooks

3oneday
Shower time

Lagerlover
2nd February 2016, 09:17 AM
I don't get too hung up on this... there's trees each side of most fairways.

3oneday
2nd February 2016, 09:18 AM
Not to mention issues with LOFT.

Lagerlover
2nd February 2016, 09:37 AM
Haha

Scifisicko
2nd February 2016, 09:42 AM
Goes to show how shit my swing is if I set up for a cut and end up hitting .

Helps to know what is actually happening when you pull that off. Ball will start towards the target line and spin right. Search the D plane.

razaar
2nd February 2016, 11:16 AM
A straight draw or straight fade have the clubface held on target through impact with the face being wiped across the ball, from the inside for a draw and straight through for a fade with more hip twist at impact which drags the square clubface across the ball imparting cut spin. It is not possible to play these shots with a fast rotating release.

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd February 2016, 03:21 PM
I've also found that when I cold top the ball, the flight is pretty straight....hahahahaGood luck tomorrow mate, what time are you off??My elbow is stuffed so maybe no golf for a few weeks for me0822 tomorrow mate. I'm in the unusual position where I can go to Livo first and warm up on the course - maybe play six holes or so - then trundle over to Cabra all lubed up and ready to roll:).

mrbluu
2nd February 2016, 03:24 PM
0822 tomorrow mate. I'm in the unusual position where I can go to Livo first and warm up on the course - maybe play six holes or so - then trundle over to Cabra all lubed up and ready to roll:).
Sounds like a lot of effort to me....

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd February 2016, 03:27 PM
A straight draw or straight fade have the clubface held on target through impact with the face being wiped across the ball, from the inside for a draw and straight through for a fade with more hip twist at impact which drags the square clubface across the ball imparting cut spin. It is not possible to play these shots with a fast rotating release. You'd be surprised at the shots I can play mate - poor shots, poorer shots, shit shots, shittier shots, horrific shots, tragic shots...with a solid fluke or two in between:).

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd February 2016, 03:30 PM
Sounds like a lot of effort to me....Not when your elbows aren't stuffed:).I might hit up the Cabra GM about pro rata through to end of March. Do I get a wicked discount if I tell him you and I are brothers from another mother?:).

mrbluu
2nd February 2016, 03:32 PM
Not when your elbows aren't stuffed:).I might hit up the Cabra GM about pro rata through to end of March. Do I get a wicked discount if I tell him you and I are brothers from another mother?:).
I'm quite sure they will take your money for a month or 2!!!

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd February 2016, 03:33 PM
I'm quite sure they will take your money for a month or 2!!!

But I want the Bluu's Bro special price:).

mrbluu
2nd February 2016, 03:34 PM
OZgolf prices don't apply to membership subs ;)