PDA

View Full Version : Srixon Z-UR-S

Moe Norman
27th April 2006, 07:35 PM
as some of you may have noticed, I'm a bit of a golf ball hoarder.

If I see them cheap, I'll stock up.

So as a public service I'll let you in on another hot deal I noticed today.

Wandering through A-Mart All Sports tonight at Indooroopilly I came accross these balls for $39 a dozen. Usually $80 a dozen RRP but can be had for $60 if you're lucky.

I didn't have my wallet, just some cash I had picked up from the TAB so only managed 3 dozen. If someone doesn't go back and clear them out, I'm heading in to buy the rest and stick them on ebay. As my cupboard now has nearly 15 dozen new golf balls!

Davemason - sorry I haven't picked up those Hogans for you yet but Keperra is a long way away, maybe ask Macca?

connico
27th April 2006, 07:54 PM
man why dont i see these deals in sydney...freaking cheap **** golf shops in sydney

PRC
27th April 2006, 08:06 PM
Is this an Amart wide deal? I'll try Brookside tomorrow, the other store I'd go to, Capalaba, had an unfortunate accident with an arsonist and is closed.

If you're desperate for someone to go to Keperra I drive by it everyday.

Moe Norman
27th April 2006, 08:08 PM
no idea, but I was in the city amart about a week ago and they didn't carry the ZURS, only ZUR and the URX.

freaking cheap though.

Matt 3 Jab
27th April 2006, 10:05 PM
Sounds like a good deal and should do well on ebay Moe. Srixon make some greats balls now, i used to love the hybrid ball. My first real players ball i used.

Jarro
28th April 2006, 05:24 AM
never tried these balls before, but at that price they might be worth a go.

Davemason
28th April 2006, 08:18 AM
man why dont i see these deals in sydney...freaking cheap **** golf shops in sydney
Mate try living in Bundy (in the bush)

And as Tommo said that Keperra has some hogan balls $30 for 12 if anyone is out that way can they pick some up for me.

pt73
28th April 2006, 08:18 AM
The Z-URS were on sale for $39 at Powergolf during their big Masters sale, so were the U-Tri Tour for $35.

Give them a call, maybe they'll still honour the price as they had mountains of them in stock.

PT

oz
28th April 2006, 02:24 PM
Z-URS is a great ball. I'll be checking the local Amart on my way home tonight. Thanks for the heads-up Moe.

I have 3 preferences for golf balls at the moment.... all interchangeable, really, IMO. The HX 56, The Pro V1x, and the Z-URS. All fantastic balls, but at $39 a dozen the Z-URs would be a clear winner.

macleod
28th April 2006, 04:41 PM
Mate try living in Bundy (in the bush)

And as Tommo said that Keperra has some hogan balls $30 for 12 if anyone is out that way can they pick some up for me.

Done, what flavour?

how many?

PRC
28th April 2006, 05:54 PM
The Z-Urs were at Brookside Amart, there were still 3 dozen left at the store even after I bought enough to keep me in supply for 2006.

Moe Norman
28th April 2006, 06:46 PM
macca - they are Hogan Hawks in a cage to the left of the counter in the pro shop. singles only and $30 for a dozen. if you grab them i'll get them off you monday and post them to Davemason as I have heaps of express post satchels.

Davemason
29th April 2006, 11:25 AM
macca - they are Hogan Hawks in a cage to the left of the counter in the pro shop. singles only and $30 for a dozen. if you grab them i'll get them off you monday and post them to Davemason as I have heaps of express post satchels.

Mate if macca does that i'll take a box of Srixon Z-UR-S as well that would be great \\:D/

As I'm down to my last dozen game balls and I might have to go to ebay to look for some :-k

Davemason
29th April 2006, 11:26 AM
Done, what flavour?

how many?

Thanks mate for doing that for little old me ;)

macleod
29th April 2006, 07:37 PM
cool,consider it done.

oddly enough i have 40 zur-s's sitting here forelornly looking at me...

perfect condition, got them for less athan a $1 a ball...sigh...

PRC
30th April 2006, 11:59 AM
The Z-UR-S were $79 at Amart Brookside yesterday.

I gave them a hit out this morning. Shot an 81 that featured 3 OOBs, including one via a sand wedge :oops: The balls performed as you'd expect, the big improvement for me was putting. I can't recall putting any better than I did today and I think that's down to the softer feel of the Srixon ball compared to the Callaway's I've used for the last 2-3 years.

macleod
30th April 2006, 12:30 PM
Mate if macca does that i'll take a box of Srixon Z-UR-S as well that would be great \\:D/

As I'm down to my last dozen game balls and I might have to go to ebay to look for some :-k

Dave,only the zur's are at $39

You still want a box of them? I got the hawks thismorningbut held off at the amart just in case you didn't want the normal zur ones.

i loved the couple of zur ones i used before my injury layoff (now officialyy into like 3 months i believe...)

macleod
30th April 2006, 12:31 PM
the Hawks dozen are in hand! will fork over toMoe Monday

Davemason
30th April 2006, 03:39 PM

You still want a box of them? I got the hawks thismorningbut held off at the amart just in case you didn't want the normal zur ones.

Thanks mate

Tommo what did you get for $39 at Amart the z-ur or z-urs??

Davemason
30th April 2006, 03:52 PM

But just thinking that is still a good price for the balls and I'll take a dozen of someones hands for $39
But get them to Tommo tomorrow so he can send them to me all at once.

Macca if you can get me a dozen and pm your bank details I'll put the $69 into your account if you get the srixons aswell .

macleod
30th April 2006, 04:00 PM
But just thinking that is still a good price for the balls and I'll take a dozen of someones hands for $39
But get them to Tommo tomorrow so he can send them to me all at once.

Macca if you can get me a dozen and pm your bank details I'll put the $69 into your account if you get the srixons aswell .

done! i'll go nick a 12 o the zur's...:D

just
2nd May 2006, 12:33 PM
Hi

I was driving through Deception Bay on Sunday and checked out A-Mart. They had the Z-URS on special and had plenty of boxes on the shelves if anyone is passing by that way and interested. Picked up a couple of boxes myself.

Just

Jarro
2nd May 2006, 12:44 PM
can somebody give me a quick rundown on the Z-URS.

can you compare them to any other ball ?? i'm using ProV1X's at the moment.

cheers.

andylo
2nd May 2006, 12:46 PM
Got 2 boxes and tried it yesterday in Pacific.

For $39 its the best value but it lack of the consistent on general performance like the V1, V1x or HX Tour/56

just
2nd May 2006, 01:04 PM
Srixon website compares the Z-URS to the ProV1. The Z-UR is the ProV1x equivalent. All the ball comparisons I've read rate both Srixon balls pretty highly, but I can't comment personally, as I haven't tried them yet.

Just

andylo
2nd May 2006, 01:19 PM
To me it perform more like a NXT or Laddie Extreme than a ProV1 or simular high performance ball

Fishman Dan
2nd May 2006, 01:44 PM
I just bought a dozen at House of Golf in Parra for $39 - they have quite a few in stock.

If people want them, let me know and i'll duck down there tomorrow.

Matt 3 Jab
2nd May 2006, 04:08 PM
I want to know how anyone here can really test a ball??
If your not playing off 4 and below i dont think you could tell weather its the ball or your swing, there are just too many variables.
Andylo, what is meant by this? "lack of the consistent on general performance like the V1, V1x or HX Tour/56"??
spin, distance, flight ect??
I think the only way a ball could be tested is by a machine

chappy1970
2nd May 2006, 04:28 PM
macca - they are Hogan Hawks in a cage to the left of the counter in the pro shop. singles only and $30 for a dozen. if you grab them i'll get them off you monday and post them to Davemason as I
have heaps of express post satchels.

For those who like Hawk Balls, they have em on sale at House Of Golf in Melbourne for $45 per dozen.

Chappy

andylo
2nd May 2006, 04:33 PM
While machine is not an option I have my own way to test ball....

If you going to question about my consistency of my swing then you don't have to read the following. But thats how I go thru to test balls for last 1.5 year.

My current favourite ball is HX TOUR 56 and ProV1. I get 10 of them each (V1, 56 and ZUR-S) and do the following:

Make each brand/model ball with number 1-10.

Start with driver:
Hit #1 56, V1, ZURS,
record the flight and distance, good or bad shot
then hit #2...
So on so forth...

Goes to where all the ball landed and record the distance and result

Then do the same with 7 iron
Do all of above and try to hit high shots

Again with 7 iron...
Do all of about but try to hit low shots this time

Use the 54* wedge
Do all of about with full shot

Use the 54* wedge
Do all of about with half shot

Use the 54* wedge
Do all of about with chip shot

Finally, putting

Draw a line across the all the ball
Find the flatest piece of green
Line up and hit putts with the same stroke, same direction
Record how the ball roll, if the line is still pointing toward to target, rolling distance

There're more details in between from the above.

But with that I can have an idea of the following:

Which ball is longer/shorter
Which ball launch higher/lower
Which ball have more/less spin
Which ball rolls the most consistent on green

Plus the general feeling when hit different ball

Moe Norman
2nd May 2006, 04:35 PM
wish I had a swing and putting stroke as consistent as yours AndyLo.

i'd be more accurate putting with one of those novelty balls!

Jarro
2nd May 2006, 04:35 PM
well, anyway ... at that price, i might buy a dozen and give 'em a whirl :mrgreen:

andylo
2nd May 2006, 04:53 PM
One final word on these issue:

In these 2.5 years I have try much more clubs, balls, even tee and gloves than 99% of the population on this board.

Plus from what I read and learn thru out the golfing I developed a system that can test thing. The result of my test IS NOT the correct answer for everybody but IT IS FOR ME.

For comment I have for the ZUR-S is ONLY my personal comment and my own thought.

If you think a very un-talented high handicap hacker cannot test the differences of different equipments I think you are wrong. If you ever been thru hitting at least 1000 balls per nite EVERY NITE on different equipment you certain can feel some differences not matter how dull your nerve system actually is.

People who knows me understand how anal I can be on equipments.

Again the result maybe not an answer for you, but it works for me. And if someone ask a equipment question and I happen to tried it I will tell what I found. But you don't have to believe it, and no point question me if I can see the difference.

Matt 3 Jab
2nd May 2006, 05:01 PM
Adnylo, i wasnt questioning your thoughts on the ball, i was just asking how you could tell how the ball reacted, and your system seems very good, i dont have the time or patients to do that, i grab a ball, smash it and walk on, i never seem to notice the difference in spin or distance, but as you said i dont bash 1000 balls a night. My comment was more about an "in round" ball test, not a driving range test or practice session test. All that knowlage comes in handy here, thats why people ask questions.

andylo
2nd May 2006, 05:05 PM
Thats cool Matt. No hard feeling here. Just try to make my point.

Fishman Dan
2nd May 2006, 05:11 PM
Who got Andy started... everyone knows he's a machine.

Andy - unfortunately although i believe you hit more balls than everyone else put together (in the whole, wide world), i can't can justify that your swing is good enough to draw scientific comparisons. Your methods however can't be faulted.

Is there a Nobel Peace Prize for golf ball flight?

3Jabber - just get to Parra and buy some ;)

Matt 3 Jab
2nd May 2006, 05:12 PM
Point made, if i took the time one afternoon to do something like you do, i might find a ball that suits me the best, for now, i mark it with a big texta line and tee it up.

Matt 3 Jab
2nd May 2006, 05:13 PM
3Jabber - just get to Parra and buy some ;)
nah, ebay is my friend, strata tour ace's are pretty cheap second hand, no one seems to like them except me, maybe because i like poker ;)

Moe Norman
2nd May 2006, 05:19 PM
i test a ball 'on course' as well.

If I feel like I nail a drive, then I compare what a nailed drive with a different ball did in regards to flight etc from my memory. Same with Approach shots and spin rate - much like AndyLo it's not an exact science but thats how I like to do it. Everyone has their preference and system. One of my best rounds ever was with a Top Flight "Exceptional Spin" - so really it's all about confidence anyway - thought it does help to have an idea of how a ball reacts around the greens.

the V1X and V1 are without doubt the longest pills for me, but they both spin too much.

I lose at least 10m going to other pills but I can control the spin a bit better with them and also don't like paying a premium.

Fishman Dan
2nd May 2006, 06:19 PM
Alternatively those who spin the ball too much (i.e. off the face of a driver :oops:) may gain some distance with something other than a premium ball.

So as a hacker A-Lo - have you tried something like a Precept Laddie?

Jarro
2nd May 2006, 06:20 PM
Moe, if the ProV1X spins too much for you, then you are in serious trouble.

It's one of the lowest spinning balls out there

Fishman Dan
2nd May 2006, 06:42 PM

It's one of the lowest spinning balls out there

Are you trying to stir up A-Lo with that kind of talk?

Jarro
2nd May 2006, 07:03 PM
Are you trying to stir up A-Lo with that kind of talk?

not at all Dan, merely stating a fact.

Moe Norman
2nd May 2006, 07:21 PM

It's one of the lowest spinning balls out thereonly off the tee mate.

it's supposedly high spin with a wedge and low spin with driver - which I found to be true.

andylo
2nd May 2006, 07:57 PM
Alternatively those who spin the ball too much (i.e. off the face of a driver :oops:) may gain some distance with something other than a premium ball.

So as a hacker A-Lo - have you tried something like a Precept Laddie?

Try the Laddie, Laddie Extreme, Noodle (different models), Loco (different models), TopFlitessss and whatever you can name of. I dont' mean I try them ALL available on market but I am sure I cover no less than 60% of them.

Turn out HX Tour 56 is the best and ProV1 is 2nd.

jimandr
2nd May 2006, 10:32 PM
As this thread seems to have turned into a 'whats on special right now', I can annouce that The Golf Factory at Narellan have my favourite ball, the Precept U-Tri Tour, at $39 a dozen. The Golf Factory also have a store at Penrith, but I doubt if this'll be much help to us OzGolfers.

I think I'll get some on Sunday. If anyone wants to place an order, PM me.

Interestingly, their ad in the local paper also have superseded R7's at $349, and R580's at $229. Lowest prices I've seen.

I know this is the wrong thread, but Drummond Golf at The Crossroads have Hi-Bores at $649, with choice of 'good' shafts (Proforce, Aldila NV etc). The sales guy told me they'd sold 10 over the weekend, which he seemed to think was impressive. I thought Jono, for one, would like to know this.

Toolish
3rd May 2006, 09:22 AM
$39 for U-tri's sounds good...what would freight be worth to Geelong?

Fishman Dan
3rd May 2006, 09:57 AM
Jim - ask any golf store and i reckon they've all sold "about 10" :?

PowerGolf have had the U-Tri Tours at that price for a long time, my only beef with that ball is they cut up too easily.

Currently PowerGolf in St Leonards have a wide variety of trade-in clubs on the rack, such as a 510 (retail) with YS-7 stiff shaft for under $200. A good selection of drivers and fairway woods, hybrids, and a few sets too.

jimandr
4th May 2006, 12:14 AM
$39 for U-tri's sounds good...what would freight be worth to Geelong?

I have a feeling this shop does mail order. I'll be ringing to ask tomorrow. If they do, I'll grab the email address and distribute it to interested parties.

connico
4th May 2006, 12:34 AM
Been reading all this, and iv tried alot of balls too, i dont really have a favourite, i just need a ball to last one round with out getting totally cut up. Iv been playing consistently enough to not lose a ball around, last week both rounds i ended up with not losing a single ball. But i noticed that the Prov1 i was playing with, which was brand new...was cut up pretty badly by the time i hit the 10th hole of the day. It had a few patches of bite marks from the teeth of my blades which i think does affect the flight. So whats a long lasting ball, what ball wears well? and where can i get them cheap?

andylo
4th May 2006, 07:36 AM
ProV1x, HX Tour 56, B330S are very durable in my opinion.

I personally don't find ProV1 is too bad (the latest version) but HX Tour, B330 is not very good. But ZUR-S is quite bad. Already got scuff mark after 4 holes and I showed Kee and he also shake his head.

Other bad one... Noodle, Loco Super Spin, TopFlite almost everything :lol:

Some ppl say Utri Tour scuff up quick but I don't find its the case. Laddie Extreme is very good as well. Srixon Super Soft is actually good but this is the ball I hate a lot. Maxfli Revo2, Revo Tour are great but they turn yellowlish very quickly.

Just to name a few ;)

Davemason
31st May 2006, 11:09 AM
Was in Brisbane CBD for work and went to Amart in the mall and they had Z-URS for $39 but the Z-UR were $79.

So if you are after Z-URS head to Amart in the mall they had about 6 boxs left.

Fishman Dan
6th June 2006, 01:17 PM
Still $39 at HoG in Parra. There's about a dozen boxes left.