PDA

View Full Version : Pulling irons and wedges

live4golf
29th November 2015, 01:48 PM
My irons and wedges are going left, very left... Driver is ok, fairway ok just irons a wild wedges. Tried ball back a bit, keeping right elbow tucked... Any other thoughts?

Captain Nemo
29th November 2015, 01:54 PM
May sound obvious but aim further rt and just go with it.
Been reading Ray Floyds book The Elememts of Scoring and he's a big believer of rather than try changing your swing, just go with what's happening.
Or video it, post it and let th vultures on here have a a go....
Are you seeing a coach ATM?

live4golf
29th November 2015, 02:19 PM
May sound obvious but aim further rt and just go with it.Been reading Ray Floyds book The Elememts of Scoring and he's a big believer of rather than try changing your swing, just go with what's happening.Or video it, post it and let th vultures on here have a a go....Are you seeing a coach ATM? Not seeing a coach. I will see if I can do a video

Captain Nemo
29th November 2015, 02:22 PM
Don't let it wear you out thinking about it....

3Puttpete
29th November 2015, 02:59 PM
My irons and wedges are going left, very left... Driver is ok, fairway ok just irons a wild wedges. Tried ball back a bit, keeping right elbow tucked... Any other thoughts?

I do this every now and then. One day a bloke in my group pointed out my feet weren't straight, I was pigeon toed in my stance.

3oneday
29th November 2015, 05:28 PM
New set required?

Johnny Canuck
29th November 2015, 07:27 PM
Make sure you maintain your spine angle through impact.

Nice and long on the takeaway. Make sure you get through the ball and don't stay on your back foot.

Wools
29th November 2015, 07:55 PM
I had the same problem but probably due to a completely different reason.

My issue was poor posture with the shorter clubs (hunched shoulders). A concious effort to pull my shoulders back stopped the lefts.

This fix was probably related to maintaining my spine angle, which was not possible with hunched shoulders (as JC suggested above).

3oneday
29th November 2015, 09:03 PM
Someone snuck into your house and changed the lie angle?

Captain Nemo
29th November 2015, 09:27 PM
Mr Blu?

dee cee
29th November 2015, 09:37 PM
It really depends. So many different reasons for a pull. At its core a pull that starts left means the club face was left at impact and if it's a straight pull you are slightly over the top. You have to find out why this is happening in YOUR swing.

Dotty
30th November 2015, 06:05 AM
I find a heat gun and damp flannel best for pulling irons and wedges.

jimandr
30th November 2015, 10:36 AM

I think it is illegal to take a heat gun out onto the course. Or is it? I don't know.

The cure depends upon an accurate description of the symptoms, which is generally why all doctoring (both of golf swing and medical problems) should be done in person.

If the ball is starting left and hooking further, you are turning the club over, and the solution is probably what JC suggested in respect of spine angle and weight transfer. This is one of my main problems. Easy to diagnose, but quite hard to fix.

p4m
30th November 2015, 10:51 AM
not really good enough to comment but more ideas never hurts on the range!

Often for me when i start pulling my wedges i am trying to hit it to hard. Feeling of waiting a bit more at the top normally straightens them out.

Of course pending i dont chunk or thin it :D

Coldtopper
30th November 2015, 08:12 PM
Is Razor on holidays? Or saving up for a new keyboard?

Daves
30th November 2015, 08:28 PM
Make sure you maintain your spine angle through impact.

Nice and long on the takeaway. Make sure you get through the ball and don't stay on your back foot.

This ^.

I had a check up lesson today. My bad shot tends to be a straight pull. It was being caused by an over the top move. Which was brought on by not transferring enough weight to the back foot on the back swing, and lack of hip bump forward on the downswing and through impact. Result was a re-route OTT and a change of spine angle through the ball ( too upright, almost forward lean). The positive is that swing, properly aimed, is pretty handy into the wind!

Johnny Canuck
30th November 2015, 08:54 PM
This ^.

I had a check up lesson today. My bad shot tends to be a straight pull. It was being caused by an over the top move. Which was brought on by not transferring enough weight to the back foot on the back swing, and lack of hip bump forward on the downswing and through impact. Result was a re-route OTT and a change of spine angle through the ball ( too upright, almost forward lean). The positive is that swing, properly aimed, is pretty handy into the wind!

I typed that from personal experience ;). Took me ages to figure out.

mrbluu
30th November 2015, 11:39 PM
I typed that from personal experience ;). Took me ages to figure out.
Is this like goat humping that either scifisicko or razzzzzaaaasarrr spoke about?? (Serious question)

wazamac
1st December 2015, 12:45 PM

It's more of a bitch to drag the generator around the course with you. And those things can be damn noisy.:wink:

live4golf
1st December 2015, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I did see the Osteo last Monday and he fixed my back, might have attributed :)

Progolfgear
3rd December 2015, 10:02 AM
Most common reason for pulling shorter clubs that I came across when teaching was caused by a lack of shoulder turn. With most people, the more they struggle with direction, the worse it got to the point where they would only make about a half a shoulder turn - but still trying to generate speed/power by rotating through the ball leading to shoulder alignment being wildly left at impact.

Give it a go next time you are hitting a few, just try to make a nice full shoulder turn even if its only a 3/4 swing.

sfdoddsy
2nd February 2016, 12:54 PM
Try placing the ball further back in your stance.