PDA

View Full Version : Late slice with the driver.

Kaniss
26th November 2015, 11:09 PM
Gents what do you make of this problem ive been having recently. Been playing for a few years now always with a regular shaft in my driver and when I first started I was slicing very badly (as you do). Over the years I fixed this slice and begun driving the ball extreamly well. I still play the same regular shaft which is a Bassarra with a 910d2. My swing at that time was not as fast or acccurate as it is now.

In the last 4 month I have formed this late slice where the ball will begin to go straight then towards the end of its flight it will stray to the right. My mate who is a single hc is telling me to switch to a stiff shaft, he recons im swinging much faster than before and "outgrown" the regular flex. Ive noticed this also and my tempo and accuracy at contact is way better now.

Im swapping the bassara regular shaft with oldmike so im really keen on trying the stiff shaft he is sending over but do you think my mate is right? Is it time to switch? How did you guys know it was time to switch to a stiff?

I got a new fairway with a stiff shaft recently and its been the best move ive done all year. Hitting it really well and not slicing it at all.

What do you guys think?

oldracer
27th November 2015, 12:08 AM
Gents what do you make of this problem ive been having recently. Been playing for a few years now always with a regular shaft in my driver and when I first started I was slicing very badly (as you do). Over the years I fixed this slice and begun driving the ball extreamly well. I still play the same regular shaft which is a Bassarra with a 910d2. My swing at that time was not as fast or acccurate as it is now.

In the last 4 month I have formed this late slice where the ball will begin to go straight then towards the end of its flight it will stray to the right. My mate who is a single hc is telling me to switch to a stiff shaft, he recons im swinging much faster than before and "outgrown" the regular flex. Ive noticed this also and my tempo and accuracy at contact is way better now.

Im swapping the bassara regular shaft with oldmike so im really keen on trying the stiff shaft he is sending over but do you think my mate is right? Is it time to switch? How did you guys know it was time to switch to a stiff?

I got a new fairway with a stiff shaft recently and its been the best move ive done all year. Hitting it really well and not slicing it at all.

What do you guys think?.

Scifisicko
27th November 2015, 11:43 AM
Sound like your path is out to in. Ball starts straight, so club face is pointing at the target. Put an empty plastic drink bottle on the ground a foot behind the ball and just outside of an on plane take away. Hit the ball and miss the bottle. No more slice.

Remember that an on plane swing is in-to-in (rotates around your body and is not down the line) so the bottle should be very close to the target line behind the ball. Maybe a balls width outside the target line a foot behind the ball.

But of course you should try a new shaft first.

olddogmike
27th November 2015, 12:01 PM
The new shaft I sent is a Fujikura Motore F3, which has got too hard for me with arthritis and after my by-pass surgury. I am 73 now and have to go to something softer.

Kaniss
27th November 2015, 01:49 PM
The new shaft I sent is a Fujikura Motore F3, which has got too hard for me with arthritis and after my by-pass surgury. I am 73 now and have to go to something softer.

That's not good mate, hope you've recovered well. My grandpa had 2 by-pass surgeries he still plays at the age of 79 and loves it, he has to use a cart though.

I'm dying to try the Motore can not wait for it to get here...

mrbluu
27th November 2015, 08:32 PM

What do you guys think?
Sounds like u need to buy a SLDR mini*

* I may know someone with a couple to sell.

Kaniss
27th November 2015, 11:41 PM
Sounds like u need to buy a SLDR mini*

* I may know someone with a couple to sell.

Hahah next time im at Sharkies ill let you know. bring it down I wouldnt mind having a try before I buy..

Kaniss
5th December 2015, 01:54 AM
Had a session at the range last night with the stiff motore. Holy shit, no slice what so ever, just a nice straight line with the odd Fade thrown in. Boy am I impressed. :) cant wait to game it this weekend.

Looks like the regular flex was the problem. Really happy now.

olddogmike
5th December 2015, 01:34 PM
Glad its working for you Kaniss, the Bassara is a lot easier on my arthritic elbows:lol:

Kaniss
7th December 2015, 09:47 AM
Glad its working for you Kaniss, the Bassara is a lot easier on my arthritic elbows:lol:

Good to see your happy with the Bassarra Mike.

I played my local yesterday and on the 18th there is a lake to the right with a little offshoot river that cuts the 18th hole right at the limits of a pretty decent drive, in addition it's an extremely tight FW. For years I have tried to get over this little river with my driver only to end up in the drink. It's become a tradition with my buddies to try and get over it every week. You have to really strike the ball extremely well and dead straight to make it over.

Yesterday I got over the river by about 20m. Couldn't believe it. Loving this shaft.