PDA

View Full Version : Pingophiles...help me out

oldracer
26th November 2015, 09:55 PM
Ok, I am now intrigued, having one of my first purchases be a 2-W set of i5's of which I still carry the 2i, gone the forged JDM route, which of the Ping stable should I look at to take me forward, play off 17, don't like the look of very much offset, this is very important to me which tends me toward i20/25...S55/56, thoughts anyone and thanks

backintheswing
26th November 2015, 09:59 PM
I have had all those Al and they are all good. I25 is probably my favourite. Pick what suits your eye.

And don't forget some ping glide wedges. I picked these up today from the local shophttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/26/c175be1d60e36e81269ec9301abed1cc.jpg

oldracer
26th November 2015, 10:03 PM
Bits, my consumate Ping man....like the look of all that...fondled very fondly Solarmans i20's whilst in his office and they looked sweet, I must investigate more i think. First time you have had the glides???

backintheswing
26th November 2015, 10:18 PM
Yes picked up today. Only glitch is I ordered an ES 56 and they sent a WS. I will have to take them back tomorrow and wait another 3 weeks

oldracer
26th November 2015, 10:22 PM
Yes picked up today. Only glitch is I ordered an ES 56 and they sent a WS. I will have to take them back tomorrow and wait another 3 weeksdifference???

backintheswing
26th November 2015, 10:28 PM
WS is wide sole.
TS is thin sole.
SS is standard sole.

Then ping in July real eased the ES for Eye2 sole, in the tradition of the ping eye wedges. Was built for Louie.

The ES is supposed to be the easiest wedge to hit out of all bunker lies. We will see.

benno_r
26th November 2015, 10:31 PM
Ok, I am now intrigued, having one of my first purchases be a 2-W set of i5's of which I still carry the 2i, gone the forged JDM route, which of the Ping stable should I look at to take me forward, play off 17, don't like the look of very much offset, this is very important to me which tends me toward i20/25...S55/56, thoughts anyone and thanks
In all honesty Al, you will find little in the modern range, that isn't super chunky, that will hang with the i5s.

For the midrange chopper like you or me, there is nothing better.

hippo10
26th November 2015, 11:43 PM
I was pretty close to buying a set of S55's. They are sweet.

oldracer
26th November 2015, 11:50 PM
WS is wide sole.
TS is thin sole.
SS is standard sole.

Then ping in July real eased the ES for Eye2 sole, in the tradition of the ping eye wedges. Was built for Louie.

The ES is supposed to be the easiest wedge to hit out of all bunker lies. We will see.thanks Ash

oldracer
26th November 2015, 11:53 PM
In all honesty Al, you will find little in the modern range, that isn't super chunky, that will hang with the i5s.

For the midrange chopper like you or me, there is nothing better.thanks Ben, young fellas too big to rassel em off him so I'll keep an eye out

oldracer
26th November 2015, 11:55 PM
I was pretty close to buying a set of S55's. They are sweet.like the look of em Hippo, buy em n let me know :wink:

Jazz18
27th November 2015, 07:29 AM
Never hit anything before S57/i15 but all their irons since and including them have been really nice. I've owned a set of S56 (wish I never sold them) and I've still got my S57's (will probably never sell them). Currently into my tourstage irons but always in the back of my mind, I will go back to my pings or another set of pings at some point. The S55's look nice too but very skinny.

Stuartd147
27th November 2015, 07:58 AM
I have had I20's (hated them), S56's (not as forgiving as I needed), I25's (great once I put the KBS Tour V's in them) and S55's (tried a mates set and fell in love with them) with standard CFS shafts. The 55's are easier to hit than they might look and give accurate distances, offset is minimal. I have only just parted with them after 18 months cos it's time for a change (that's the ozgolf way isn't it??), just not sure what I will get. Have to sort out a torn rotor cuff first. I played off 6-8hcp, but I think they could work for most. See if you can get a demo of an I25 and an S55 with stock CFS shafts and give them a go.

Peppas
27th November 2015, 08:34 AM
I like the S56s more than the i20s I had

I dunno why though. Disclaimer I am also a chopper

oldracer
27th November 2015, 08:41 AM
I have had I20's (hated them), S56's (not as forgiving as I needed), I25's (great once I put the KBS Tour V's in them) and S55's (tried a mates set and fell in love with them) with standard CFS shafts. The 55's are easier to hit than they might look and give accurate distances, offset is minimal. I have only just parted with them after 18 months cos it's time for a change (that's the ozgolf way isn't it??), just not sure what I will get. Have to sort out a torn rotor cuff first. I played off 6-8hcp, but I think they could work for most. See if you can get a demo of an I25 and an S55 with stock CFS shafts and give them a go.good idea Stu, cheers

oldracer
27th November 2015, 08:44 AM
I like the S56s more than the i20s I had

I dunno why though. Disclaimer I am also a chopperhaha choppers Unite!!!!!!

goughy
27th November 2015, 08:49 AM
Am I allowed in this thread? Most of mine must be classics cause they don't appear on the ping website anymore. Still rocking i3+'s and see no reason to change (since I don't really play anyway ;) ). And my eye2 1i.

oldracer
27th November 2015, 09:13 AM
Am I allowed in this thread? Most of mine must be classics cause they don't appear on the ping website anymore. Still rocking i3+'s and see no reason to change (since I don't really play anyway ;) ). And my eye2 1i.oh, guess you are....when I first joined the forum i had just bought my i5's and thought I would carry them forever but I wandered far and wide, love some copper eye2's :o

benno_r
27th November 2015, 09:28 AM
oh, guess you are....when I first joined the forum i had just bought my i5's and thought I would carry them forever but I wandered far and wide, love some copper eye2's :o

Copper ISI's float your boat? I know a guy...

thecollective
27th November 2015, 09:33 AM
I20's are the go! perfect balance of cavity VS blade, very forgiving and solid feel

Offset isnt too bad - if your playing off 17 I would not get too fussy about all that anyway.

kiwitown
27th November 2015, 09:43 AM
Racer where did you get those ferrules from In your avatar? nice irons by the way

chappy1970
27th November 2015, 09:56 AM
Al I'm going to ask a stupid question, if you are stripping the Yammies at the moment, why don't you think they can take you low?

From your recent form, there seems to be very little reason as to why you couldn't knock a few shots off consistently.

I know what I have stated is blasphemy around these parts, but you seem to be in a good place with your kit

oldracer
27th November 2015, 11:01 AM
Racer where did you get those ferrules from In your avatar? nice irons by the wayhttp://stores.ebay.com.au/18-a-Day-Golf?_rdc=1 thanks

oldracer
27th November 2015, 11:04 AM
Al I'm going to ask a stupid question, if you are stripping the Yammies at the moment, why don't you think they can take you low?

From your recent form, there seems to be very little reason as to why you couldn't knock a few shots off consistently.

I know what I have stated is blasphemy around these parts, but you seem to be in a good place with your kithey mate, nothing will replace the Yams, you know me, just a bit of this and a bit of that, just looking to keep life interesting ;) I'll get the i5's to you next sat for the SPB's, cheers Al

oldracer
27th November 2015, 11:08 AM
I20's are the go! perfect balance of cavity VS blade, very forgiving and solid feel

Offset isnt too bad - if your playing off 17 I would not get too fussy about all that anyway.thanks TC, guess I better put my Miura blades and Epon 302/Tour combo's up for sale then, probably shouldn't be trying to play them 8-)

Yossarian
27th November 2015, 11:16 AM
Correct.

simmsy
27th November 2015, 11:26 AM
All Ping irons are like rusted bars of 1" reo bar

JDM buttery goodness forever!!

thecollective
27th November 2015, 11:52 AM
thanks TC, guess I better put my Miura blades and Epon 302/Tour combo's up for sale then, probably shouldn't be trying to play them 8-)

we play golf to enjoy don't we? hence you should play what makes you smile

Peppas
27th November 2015, 12:03 PM
S56s made me smile at Kooyonga and Glenelg

thecollective
27th November 2015, 12:05 PM
S56s made me smile at Kooyonga and Glenelg

I used a loan set of S56s @ Tasmania GC - amazing out of the middle, really loved the Z PING branded shafts as well

Peppas
27th November 2015, 12:08 PM
I used a loan set of S56s @ Tasmania GC - amazing out of the middle, really loved the Z PING branded shafts as well

What's the middle feel like?

benno_r
27th November 2015, 12:09 PM
What's the middle feel like?

Zing! Classic Peppas.

solarman
27th November 2015, 12:34 PM
Bits, my consumate Ping man....like the look of all that...fondled very fondly Solarmans i20's whilst in his office and they looked sweet, I must investigate more i think. First time you have had the glides???

So that's why they never behaved after that. Hope you washed your hands :)

oldracer
27th November 2015, 01:46 PM
So that's why they never behaved after that. Hope you washed your hands :)haha sure did, but remember it was also cause you never lined the sight line up on your ball :(