PDA

View Full Version : Where does Aussie golf sit within the realm of world golf?

goughy
22nd November 2015, 01:57 PM
So watching a few minutes of golf today, got me wondering where you think aussie golf sits within all the tours available around the world?

The US pga tour, and European Tour obviously have to sit one and two, with regards to stature and prize money. But say you had to rank them, in two lists, one for perceived stature and another on prize money or earnings potential? I'm talking everything, including the Nationwide (what ever is called these days), Asian Tour, US college golf, etc etc. Include the Sunshine tour, if it's still around.

If you were an aussie who wanted to claw your way out of the pro shop and have a go at pro, what sort of route would you try to take?

gumby
22nd November 2015, 02:22 PM
Dead last.

Jazz18
22nd November 2015, 02:37 PM
Those of you who have seen me hit a golf ball know that this is pure fantasy on my part but if it were me, Asia would be the logical place to start if I had to work my way up through the various tours. Expenses would be lower in most cases than Europe or USA for instance, it's closer to home and the climate is warm. It's also a strong tour. The standard of golf is very high. Of course the best way to the top tours would be to be born with it and just turn up and go, I'm here like Speith, McIlroy and co but not all pros have that I guess.

Pencil
22nd November 2015, 04:18 PM
Those of you who have seen me hit a golf ball know that this is pure fantasy on my part but if it were me, Asia would be the logical place to start if I had to work my way up through the various tours. Expenses would be lower in most cases than Europe or USA for instance, it's closer to home and the climate is warm. It's also a strong tour. The standard of golf is very high. Of course the best way to the top tours would be to be born with it and just turn up and go, I'm here like Speith, McIlroy and co but not all pros have that I guess.

Which tour though. There more than a few in Asia.

Jazz18
22nd November 2015, 04:38 PM
Which tour though. There more than a few in Asia.

True. I guess trying to qualify for the Asian Tour or One Asia would be the place to start. But as I said above, I'm not exactly speaking from experience or knowledge. It's funny to even say I'm not even close to that level of golf because I'm not even close to not even being close.

Hatchman
22nd November 2015, 04:53 PM
On the World stage the Australian Tour is irrelevant theses days.

jocker
22nd November 2015, 05:30 PM
Happy for Senior, but doesn't say much for Australian golf that he can still win does it?

Lagerlover
22nd November 2015, 05:37 PM
On the World stage the Australian Tour is irrelevant theses days. How much does the value of the AUD come into this?

westy
22nd November 2015, 05:50 PM
Well we shouldn't dismiss. Commercially for most of the worlds golf fans who don't really understand the game, it is no where.
But if you look out there on the web, there is a hard core of golf fans around the world that will be up in the wee hours in America watching our events, because it is one of the few times of the year they get to watch proper golf played on proper golf courses.
It doesn't make any money of course but at least we fly the flag for proper golf. Alas, next week at the open its just American fare,

oldracer
22nd November 2015, 06:19 PM
Pete Senior is pretty unreal, world no 12....couple of very recent PGA winners, Euro PGA winner......nowhere, his effort has to rate

Johnny Canuck
22nd November 2015, 07:00 PM
Well we shouldn't dismiss. Commercially for most of the worlds golf fans who don't really understand the game, it is no where.
But if you look out there on the web, there is a hard core of golf fans around the world that will be up in the wee hours in America watching our events, because it is one of the few times of the year they get to watch proper golf played on proper golf courses.
It doesn't make any money of course but at least we fly the flag for proper golf. Alas, next week at the open its just American fare,

What is proper golf and what constitutes a proper golf course ?

Hatchman
22nd November 2015, 07:22 PM
How much does the value of the AUD come into this?

It would be very minor in the grand scheme of things.
Much more money on offer in other parts of the world these days without the massive travel.

Coldtopper
22nd November 2015, 07:45 PM
Huntingdale is a shit hole at it's best that may have something to do with it!

backintheswing
22nd November 2015, 07:46 PM
Huntingdale is a shit hole at it's best that may have something to do with it!

How does it compare to Woodlands?

chappy1970
22nd November 2015, 07:49 PM
Will tell you after my hit there Wednesday

Coldtopper
22nd November 2015, 07:49 PM
How does it compare to Woodlands? woodlands better but no room for a event. The only decent hole at huntingdale has a Sbend attached. Spanner will chime in soon with a +1

backintheswing
22nd November 2015, 07:50 PM
I played Woodlands this year and thought it was very ordinary, so Huntingdale must be a shithole haha.

Coldtopper
22nd November 2015, 07:51 PM
Will tell you after my hit there Wednesday desperate for a game CC hope it's a work event?

Coldtopper
22nd November 2015, 07:51 PM
I played Woodlands this year and thought it was very ordinary, so Huntingdale must be a shithole haha. +1

chappy1970
22nd November 2015, 07:53 PM
desperate for a game CC hope it's a work event?

Yep, corporate day Mitch.

Better than the best day at work IMHO

Coldtopper
22nd November 2015, 07:54 PM
Yep, corporate day Mitch.

Better than the best day at work IMHO I'd prefer to be at Work. Post pics of the drinks girls please.

chappy1970
22nd November 2015, 07:55 PM
Tough crowd

Lagerlover
22nd November 2015, 07:55 PM
The only decent hole at huntingdale has a Sbend attached. Hahahahahaha

jocker
22nd November 2015, 08:54 PM
Huntingdale is a shit hole at it's best that may have something to do with it!Are you kidding?

hacker
22nd November 2015, 08:57 PM
Are you kidding?

He never kids.

Coldtopper
22nd November 2015, 09:13 PM
Are you kidding? no kids leave that to goat handlers in Isis. What you think it rates better than a shit hole. You need to get out more!

mrbluu
22nd November 2015, 09:44 PM
Tough crowd

Didn't know CT has put on enough weight to be a whole crowd ;)

westy
22nd November 2015, 09:47 PM
What is proper golf and what constitutes a proper golf course ?

Three words

Firm and fast

Jazz18
23rd November 2015, 12:37 AM

Three words

Firm and fast

C'mon mate, not again with these silly comments about The Australian. It's a great golf course and from what I saw last week, in mint condition. I'm told it's like that pretty much all year round too, lucky members. Golf is about variety and the differences each course and location can throw at you. Not about whether a golf course is firm and fast or "proper golf" as you like to call it. There's no such thing. Golf has many guises and that's the way it should be.

Johnny Canuck
23rd November 2015, 12:54 AM
Three words

Firm and fast

Looking forward to the US Open?

WBennett
23rd November 2015, 07:11 AM
I played Woodlands this year and thought it was very ordinary, so Huntingdale must be a shithole haha.

Wow. Really? I love playing there.

oldracer
23rd November 2015, 09:41 AM
Wow. Really? I love playing there.mmm I was a bit underwhelmed

WBennett
23rd November 2015, 10:18 AM
mmm I was a bit underwhelmed

What did you expect?

I like 1 and 2, and 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 are a sensational run of holes over some great rolling land.

3 is a magic hole, and 4 is insane. I love it.

There is a little up and backness for 13-16ish, but its a course that is always presented well, takes a fair bit of thought to get around, and one I could play as a member every day of the week.

I'd like to play Huntingdale just to see what the golf snobs on another forum reckon is rubbish after the reno's.

thecollective
23rd November 2015, 10:30 AM
Golf is about variety

Jazz: When you look closely at the layout of The Australian, how much variety are you actually getting?

TC

jimandr
23rd November 2015, 11:35 AM
We seem to have got a bit off-topic.

Goughy's post really asks three questions.

The easiest to answer is the issue of where our Tour stands. Our tour is a long way down, but when I thought about it a bit, I decided it didn't really matter. Essentially, there are only two tours, the US and European, and every other tour serves as a feeder tour for those tours. The players only play the minor tours because they can't get on the Big Two, and they use those tours to gain enough ranking points to get in the good events.

Taking the ranking points issue into consideration, as a young player, I would concentrate on the Australian tournaments because they have quite high ranking points, particularly if good players are in the event. Get a top 5 in the Aussie Open when Spieth is in the field, and you get ranking points almost for free.

The other big benefit as a young Aussie is that a win gives you a local profile. Would anyone have heard of Daniel Popovic if he hadn't won the PGA a few years ago.

One thing that puzzles me is why young US players don't come here for our summer. The web.com guys are in their off season, but none of them come to play our events. Maybe those guys haven't got enough money, but I would have thought it would help their golf to play our courses.

Discounting the Aussie events though, I'd go the Asian Tour route if I was a young player. Web.com is too hard to win and the courses aren't much chop, while the Japan Tour seems to be very insular. Players go to Japan and stay there, but they don't seem to use it as a stepping stone to better things.

Jazz18
23rd November 2015, 11:42 AM
Jazz: When you look closely at the layout of The Australian, how much variety are you actually getting?

TC

I think all golf courses have the same feel to them within the layout. That's normal. Variety within one course is hard to achieve but I think the Australian doesn't do a bad job of it. You do have to hit different clubs off tees and there are long holes and short holes. Some blind, some laid out in front of you and you are hitting different clubs into greens as well. It's definately not a driver wedge course. But my comment about variety was in reference to the comment that "proper golf" should be firm and fast. If all golf would be firm and fast, it would get rather boring don't you think?

WBennett
23rd November 2015, 11:51 AM
One thing that puzzles me is why young US players don't come here for our summer. The web.com guys are in their off season, but none of them come to play our events. Maybe those guys haven't got enough money, but I would have thought it would help their golf to play our courses.

For a web.com player who has had three or 4 weeks off, it would make sense to have a golfing holiday in Aus. Put your hand up for 3 events, get a little appearance money to cover costs, and play golf in a different environment.

And as you said, a couple of Top 5 finishes helps the WGR and future prospects of making big events.

The young US amateur will be better for his experience gained over the weekend. And we will be interested in seeing his career progression.

thecollective
23rd November 2015, 12:08 PM
If all golf would be firm and fast, it would get rather boring don't you think?

In directly answering your question: No

Firm and fast conditions brings more aspects of the game into play. Its not so much about delivering the ball to target anymore; but also how the ball is going to react once it has landed. It also accommodates a broader range of shots and a greater aspect of strategy.

If you look at best courses in the world most apply the firm / fast principle; Royal Melbourne being the classic example. Its not about hitting target because getting to the hole is not as easy as hitting the green and stopping it. You need to find the correct pathway from the right angle and play to the correct slopes on each green.

Why did Jordan Spieth choose to play Royal Melbourne last week?

TC

Johnny Canuck
23rd November 2015, 12:21 PM
For a web.com player who has had three or 4 weeks off, it would make sense to have a golfing holiday in Aus. Put your hand up for 3 events, get a little appearance money to cover costs, and play golf in a different environment.

And as you said, a couple of Top 5 finishes helps the WGR and future prospects of making big events.

The young US amateur will be better for his experience gained over the weekend. And we will be interested in seeing his career progression.

A web.com guy that 99% of the golfing population has not heard of (which is most of them) is not going to pull any appearance fee.

It's too expensive, plain and simple. $5K in airfares for the golfer + 1 to get to a major city, internal flights, car hire, food, lodging for a guarantee of zero dollars, playing against the best this country has to offer.

Factor in dealing with the time change, a very warm environment and playing on courses that they don't know at all, it's just all too much for a couple weeks over here.

In directly answering your question: No

Firm and fast conditions brings more aspects of the game into play. Its not so much about delivering the ball to target anymore; but also how the ball is going to react once it has landed. It also accommodates a broader range of shots and a greater aspect of strategy.

If you look at best courses in the world most apply the firm / fast principle; Royal Melbourne being the classic example. Its not about hitting target because getting to the hole is not as easy as hitting the green and stopping it. You need to find the correct pathway from the right angle and play to the correct slopes on each green.

Why did Jordan Spieth choose to play Royal Melbourne last week?

TC

Fast and firm is good, I agree, but the course needs to be designed in a manner that it can support fast and firm. Not all courses are suited to this style.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons that Spieth chose to play RM, besides fast and firm.

thecollective
23rd November 2015, 12:38 PM
Fast and firm is good, I agree, but the course needs to be designed in a manner that it can support fast and firm. Not all courses are suited to this style.

JC: what is the normal way a golf course is setup in Canada? I know little about the golf courses over there so I wonder if firm / fast can be produced in such a cold climate?

TC

goughy
23rd November 2015, 01:03 PM
We seem to have got a bit off-topic.

Thanks Jim, I was just gonna let it go. But you swung it back around.

And does it say anything about the quality of our tour when a mid 50's pro wins one of our big 3 (not taking anything away from PS).

WBennett
23rd November 2015, 01:16 PM
It says that the field this week was absolutely horrible and European Tour co-sanctioning can't come fast enough.

oldracer
23rd November 2015, 01:31 PM
What did you expect?

I like 1 and 2, and 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 are a sensational run of holes over some great rolling land.

3 is a magic hole, and 4 is insane. I love it.

There is a little up and backness for 13-16ish, but its a course that is always presented well, takes a fair bit of thought to get around, and one I could play as a member every day of the week.

I'd like to play Huntingdale just to see what the golf snobs on another forum reckon is rubbish after the reno's.not sure what I expected, guess I didn't think it would be a bush track which if I had, is the essence of the sandbelt. Some nice holes granted but nothing made me go wow

spanner039
23rd November 2015, 02:35 PM
not sure what I expected, guess I didn't think it would be a bush track which if I had, is the essence of the sandbelt. Some nice holes granted but nothing made me go wow

Agree with this, if it were on the Peninsula i would probably play Eagle Ridge before it.

And Agree with CT the joint is a fair dump always has been always will be, some of the new holes have actually improved while others like 5 and 15 (which both have had more rebuilds than Richmond FC) are pretty bad.

Last played it 8 years ago vowed never to go back, apart from work - which still stands to this day.

Also heard this was the last Masters and only went back to Huntingdale as a farewell, if that's correct fair indication that the AU tour is rooted.

Edit i thought the racer was on about Huntingdale!! which his statement still applies, but not to Woodlands.

Johnny Canuck
23rd November 2015, 03:02 PM
JC: what is the normal way a golf course is setup in Canada? I know little about the golf courses over there so I wonder if firm / fast can be produced in such a cold climate?

TC

Fast and firm has a pretty small window in Canada, much like the golf season.

Once the snow melts at the end of March, early April, we get a ton of rain in April as well. It takes a while to get the moisture out of the greens as you don't get the heat until mid to late June/July. Starts getting cool in Sept and courses are closed very early in Oct.

We get the fast, but there is really a small period when you get the firm.

When you start playing upon course opening in early April, you get used to playing on very soft greens for a good while.

WBennett
23rd November 2015, 04:11 PM
Agree with this, if it were on the Peninsula i would probably play Eagle Ridge before it.

And Agree with CT the joint is a fair dump always has been always will be, some of the new holes have actually improved while others like 5 and 15 (which both have had more rebuilds than Richmond FC) are pretty bad.

Last played it 8 years ago vowed never to go back, apart from work - which still stands to this day.

Also heard this was the last Masters and only went back to Huntingdale as a farewell, if that's correct fair indication that the AU tour is rooted.

Are you talking Huntingdale or Woodlands? I was on a Woodlands tangent.
Never played Huntingdale.

spanner039
23rd November 2015, 04:21 PM
Are you talking Huntingdale or Woodlands? I was on a Woodlands tangent.
Never played Huntingdale.

Huntingdale!!! Woodlands, a course i had a lot to do with in a previous life is one of my Favs.

Now i read your post properly i can see you mean Woodlands

Ive now let you off the hook as far as being a judge of golf courses!!!!

WBennett
23rd November 2015, 08:11 PM
Huntingdale!!! Woodlands, a course i had a lot to do with in a previous life is one of my Favs. Now i read your post properly i can see you mean WoodlandsIve now let you off the hook as far as being a judge of golf courses!!!! Whew. The Spanners Seal of Approval!How do they get decent fields? Co-sanctioning. 3m AU per event prize money. Hell, have the events as the start of the web.com tour

Charger
11th December 2015, 09:47 PM
Its not like the good old days..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xen9I5iQxfU

Hux
12th December 2015, 10:16 AM
thanks for the video, nice to look back at GN in his prime.

Coldtopper
13th December 2015, 08:21 AM
Its not like the good old days..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xen9I5iQxfU yeah great event. The players walked off the 3rd after the idiots didn't water the greens and balls wouldn't stay. Maybe one of the biggest balls up ever in a event in Australia. Not the best example. Great l era of golf all the same.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1987-11-30/sports/0160310146_1_australian-open-reschedule-third-hole