PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Swing Speed from Curing Overswing

Icestorm959
21st November 2015, 06:53 PM
Basically my normal rotation makes Rory look stiff - I have a massive overswing, on my upswing my club goes past perpendicular with the ground and finishes about 40 degrees past that. Have mostly corrected it now in my irons so that I no longer over-swing - I've gained a lot more accuracy as a result, but the downside is I've lost around 10 miles of club head speed, so my irons are around 5 to 15 yards shorter than previously.

The question I guess, is how do I get that club head speed back, now that I am no longer able to use body rotation as much?

Captain Nemo
21st November 2015, 07:04 PM
Get a lesson, seriously!
The pros at your club must be very good, looking at how good the juniors in the academy they have there....

Peppas
21st November 2015, 07:21 PM
Where you get your swing speed numbers from? Pre curing overswing and post?

oldracer
21st November 2015, 07:45 PM
Basically my normal rotation makes Rory look stiff - I have a massive overswing, on my upswing my club goes past perpendicular with the ground and finishes about 40 degrees past that. Have mostly corrected it now in my irons so that I no longer over-swing - I've gained a lot more accuracy as a result, but the downside is I've lost around 10 miles of club head speed, so my irons are around 5 to 15 yards shorter than previously.

The question I guess, is how do I get that club head speed back, now that I am no longer able to use body rotation as much?just wondering if those numbers are relevant, surely accuracy would rate far more than club head speed and distance, assuming that your current numbers are still "average", give me fairways anytime

LarryLong
21st November 2015, 07:57 PM
just wondering if those numbers are relevant, surely accuracy would rate far more than club head speed and distance, assuming that your current numbers are still "average", give me fairways anytime

This. I'd give 5-15 yards of distance for a jump in accuracy, no questions asked.

mrbluu
21st November 2015, 08:46 PM
Basically my normal rotation makes Rory look stiff - I have a massive overswing, on my upswing my club goes past perpendicular with the ground and finishes about 40 degrees past that. Have mostly corrected it now in my irons so that I no longer over-swing - I've gained a lot more accuracy as a result, but the downside is I've lost around 10 miles of club head speed, so my irons are around 5 to 15 yards shorter than previously.The question I guess, is how do I get that club head speed back, now that I am no longer able to use body rotation as much? Sounds like u need to buy a G30 ;)

Captain Nemo
21st November 2015, 08:51 PM
Not after what I'm putting together for him.....

Hatchman
22nd November 2015, 10:57 AM
How far were you previously hitting a 7 iron before shortening the swing?

Icestorm959
22nd November 2015, 12:23 PM
The swing change came about as a result of a lesson! Pro said the distance will eventually come back, but didnt tell me how!

160 yards (total distance) with the 7 iron before shortening my swing, down to about 145 yards now, which I think makes be below average.

Captain Nemo
22nd November 2015, 12:31 PM
mate, just do what the pro says!!!
;)

oldracer
22nd November 2015, 01:06 PM
The swing change came about as a result of a lesson! Pro said the distance will eventually come back, but didnt tell me how!

160 yards (total distance) with the 7 iron before shortening my swing, down to about 145 yards now, which I think makes be below average.yards or metres Ice??

3Puttpete
22nd November 2015, 01:23 PM

160 yards (total distance) with the 7 iron before shortening my swing, down to about 145 yards now, which I think makes be below average.

How far does your 6 iron go now?

Hatchman
22nd November 2015, 08:13 PM

You shouldn't be concerned being just below average. A bit will come back with timing.

mrbluu
22nd November 2015, 08:53 PM

JDM distance for JDM sticks :mrgreen:

Johnny Canuck
22nd November 2015, 09:30 PM
Icy, I went through this last year. Major overswinger. The power comes in your shoulder turn and getting your chest turning through the ball.

I have shortened my swing considerably and not lost distance.

There is a Gary Player vid that Virge loves that covers the body getting through the ball. I am sure someone can quickly post it for you. I'd look for it if I wasn't on my phone and didn't want YouTube to cut out my music while I pack up my garage ;).

Icestorm959
22nd November 2015, 09:57 PM
Icy, I went through this last year. Major overswinger. The power comes in your shoulder turn and getting your chest turning through the ball.

I have shortened my swing considerably and not lost distance.

There is a Gary Player vid that Virge loves that covers the body getting through the ball. I am sure someone can quickly post it for you. I'd look for it if I wasn't on my phone and didn't want YouTube to cut out my music while I pack up my garage ;).

Thanks, that sounds really helpful, I'll have a search for it.

Eca
23rd November 2015, 07:31 PM
Nice work C. Remembering your swing, I think you might be losing your lag with the changes. With the shorter swing, check where your clubhead is when you get your hand down around your hip level. Should still be pointed up with dorsiflexion on your right hand. Just my 2c :)

Icestorm959
24th November 2015, 07:34 AM
Nice work C. Remembering your swing, I think you might be losing your lag with the changes. With the shorter swing, check where your clubhead is when you get your hand down around your hip level. Should still be pointed up with dorsiflexion on your right hand. Just my 2c :) Thanks mate. After I google what dorsiflexion means I will no doubt pick up some speed! =)

JADO75
24th November 2015, 04:01 PM
http://youtu.be/1SUzcDUERLo

You're welcome!

Yossarian
24th November 2015, 04:15 PM
Swing faster.

virge666
25th November 2015, 07:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50YdbuOdR2g

Balance dude.

You have to swing in balance. You cant swing fast with the body out of balance.