PDA

View Full Version : Mini Drivers - Your thoughts.

Kaniss
18th November 2015, 03:29 PM
Gents I need some feedback on these Mini Drivers. What are your opinions in comparison to larger 460cc heads? Do they sound and feel the same or do they feel more like a fairway? do they go the same distance as a 460 or fall short?

The reason I ask is, I currently have the 910d2 which I'm sort of happy with, my only problem is I just can't seem to be consistent with bigger heads. Put my fairway in my hands and the ball seems to go where ever I want it.

I will be upgrading to a 915 shortly but they have quite a few varieties, some big some small. Booked a fitting with Titleist to see which one works best, but maybe a mini driver is the key for me.

I also own a 915F and a TM 3wood Burner Superfast 2.0. The burner has a bigger head in comparison to the 915 and I seem to hit pretty good both of these.

Cheers.

olddogmike
18th November 2015, 04:23 PM
My Japanese drivers are smaller than 460, the Yammy is 440, and the Royal Collection is about 420. After using these I go back to my 910d2 I feel that the Titty is gigantic by comparison. I don't see any loss of distance with the smaller clubs, I reckon it makes you more accurate finding the sweet spot.

mrbluu
18th November 2015, 06:00 PM
I don't its the size of the head that u struggling with normal drivers. I think
its the length of the shafts (45") vs 43.5" with the minis and the "normal" 3 woods.

icandy
18th November 2015, 09:53 PM
Love my SLDR mini driver, i'm playing at 14 degree one, its about 10m short of my driver but always a fairway finder. I use it a lot more than my driver.

3oneday
19th November 2015, 07:37 AM
It's a longer three wood, definitely not a driver replacement.

Jazz18
19th November 2015, 07:46 AM
I've not hit one in the course but I can't imagine it would be that versatile. I struggle hitting fairway woods of the deck so I need something that is easy to get u in the air. A big head with a deeper than normal face for a fairway wood is not recipe I need for that.

Daves
19th November 2015, 07:48 AM
I've not hit one in the course but I can't imagine it would be that versatile. I struggle hitting fairway woods of the deck so I need something that is easy to get u in the air. A big head with a deeper than normal face for a fairway wood is not recipe I need for that.

They are easier to hit off the deck than you might think.

WBennett
19th November 2015, 07:51 AM
Binh talked me out of buying his this week.

I hit driver ok (but not straight) and my 3 wood v-steel well.

Got to love the 10 year old technology.

mrbluu
19th November 2015, 09:17 AM
Love my SLDR mini driver, i'm playing at 14 degree one, its about 10m short of my driver but always a fairway finder. I use it a lot more than my driver.
For me definitely a fairway finder but I don't anymore or less than normal 3 wood. It's certainly not as consistently as long as my LS.

The big head is awesome when I'm not swing well.

definitely not a driver replacement.

Agreed

Binh talked me out of buying his this week.

I hit driver ok (but not straight) and my 3 wood v-steel well.

Got to love the 10 year old technology.
Yes I did.

It's for ppl who struggle hitting 3 woods off the tee.

It is OK off the deck but not as good as a normal 3 wood.

I said this when I first got it, the Mini's are good but not as satisfying to hit as a well struck 3 wood.

supo67
19th November 2015, 11:26 AM
If u get one u like, its tough to get it out of ur bag. on the shorter courses like pete dys or that monster of a man muirhead I use the min almost exclusively now . its easier than a 3 wood. ,longer and u can shape it much better/consistant.
the shaft selection is ultra important. I fnd u need it heaver and tighter. I dont eve nbother tyring t o hit it off the deck its soley a realcement for the big dog. distance Is about 20 yards less than the driver but its a lot more accurate.
trick is to find one u like the look of at address. when u find it , u will fall in love with it .

TheNuclearOne
19th November 2015, 05:58 PM
It's for ppl who struggle hitting 3 woods off the tee.

It is OK off the deck but not as good as a normal 3 wood.

Certainly more comfortable off the tee peg for those that struggle with the 3 wood but i can't see why it can't be a driver replacement for those that cannot control the driver for the life of them or thereabouts. Drivers useless to them and the Mini will have much more control and will also be longer than their 3 wood off the tee fit for fit.

I had the SLDR TP 12* and probably should have kept it. It was somewhere in between my driver and 3 wood for length off the tee and very accurate. It was also much much easier to hit than 3 wood off the tee with it's generous head and face.

Off the deck i would personally agree it's not as good as a normal 3 wood if you can hit one ok. Having said that my Mini was surprisingly easy to bash off the deck and very straight. It did have a restrictive low ballflight that actually lost it a tad of distance vs a well struck 3 wood but gee it was straight.

But imo absolutely a bonfide driver replacement for someone hopeless with driver. For someone who drives it reasonably well to better not so much.

Very keen to give the AB TP Mini a bash.

Kaniss
20th November 2015, 01:20 PM
I think I will have to hit one this weekend to see how I go...Might see if the proshop has one for a test. Looks like distance wise you fall just short of a 460 driver.

oldracer
22nd November 2015, 12:07 AM
What's the diff between a 3 Deep 13* and a mini driver, mini drivers have deeper faces? Guess I could google,

benno_r
22nd November 2015, 09:20 AM
What's the diff between a 3 Deep 13* and a mini driver, mini drivers have deeper faces? Guess I could google,

Not a lot except the 3deep will likely go longer.

oldracer
22nd November 2015, 09:57 AM
Not a lot except the 3deep will likely go longer.sorta my thoughts as well, a good option I think

KristianJ
22nd November 2015, 11:24 AM
3 Deep's overall head size is closer to your traditional fairway wood size as well. It's just got a deeper face than the equivalent fairway and looks a little narrower from front to back too.

dazza99
22nd November 2015, 05:11 PM
I have a sldr mini 12 deg and it most definitely is driver replacement or back up. I only use it rarely off the grass, but it's there if needed. I find my 2hybrid easier off tighter lies.

I tend to carry both my R9 and the mini. If my swing goes a little awry with the driver and I start fading/slicing then the mini comes into it's own. I think I can just get the head through the air and squared up that much easier.

Today I actually played the 2nd and 3rd holes with mini and then used it the whole way cos it went so well. Probably hit 10/12 fairways with it. And struck well it's not too much shorter than my regular drive. Although my best with driver beats it by some way. Still sooner be 190 straight than 220 in the sh!t :)

mrbluu
22nd November 2015, 05:23 PM
Still sooner be 190 straight than 220 in the sh!t :)

190m vs 220m is not a driver replacement.

dazza99
22nd November 2015, 07:07 PM
190m vs 220m is not a driver replacement.

You missed the bit that it's not much shorter than usual drives mate.

I'm normally the 200+ mark with driver. My best go out to 220+
The mini goes around 190 pretty constantly. so I'm probably losing 10-20M on most drives, rather than 30.

Agree that it's basically using a 3 wood off the tees. But to me it's driver replacement because that's what I'm using it for, more than off the grass that I'd use a 3 wood for. I do have an R9 3wood that I used to carry. It probably goes nearly as far as the mini but just not as consistent or straight for me. Being a 12deg mini helps for me because i tend to hit a high ball. You don't get a 'normal' 3 wood of that loft.

Bitter
5th December 2015, 10:37 PM
First day out with SLDR Mini 12* today. Quite disappointed as all I could hit were well over cooked draws. Not sure if it is the shaft but I could not keep it anywhere near the right side. It actually feels great off the club and seems to have great distance but everything I hit was a 50m draw.

TheNuclearOne
5th December 2015, 11:09 PM
First day out with SLDR Mini 12* today. Quite disappointed as all I could hit were well over cooked draws. Not sure if it is the shaft but I could not keep it anywhere near the right side. It actually feels great off the club and seems to have great distance but everything I hit was a 50m draw.

Shaft. I'd be surprised if you are hitting the TP 7.3.

Ashes
6th December 2015, 12:01 AM
Why not play a high loft driver head and build it shorter? Would need to add weight to get the swing weight up, but surely it would be easier still to hit?

Bitter
6th December 2015, 07:29 AM
Shaft. I'd be surprised if you are hitting the TP 7.3.

Yeah, it just the standard 57g thing. Hit it quite high too for a 12*.

solarbear
6th December 2015, 08:24 AM
Wish Cleveland would rerelease the Hibore 2 Wood.

The 400cc headsize makes it easier to square, the shorter shaft and higher loft make it easier to hit a fairway.

Its about 90% of my driver in distance. It seems to have all the advantages of the driver and 3 wood in one club.

My golfpro hit mine the other day and was like, 'wow that is nice, what is the loft?'

Scifisicko
6th December 2015, 08:33 AM
Its about 90% of my driver in distance. So about the same as a 3w?

solarbear
6th December 2015, 07:14 PM
So about the same as a 3w?

Depends on the 3W and the player. It goes a bit longer than mine, but I am sure there are better 3W out there.

icandy
7th December 2015, 11:32 AM
Yeah, it just the standard 57g thing. Hit it quite high too for a 12*.
I can sell you my TP shaft that I took out of my Mini Driver, I was hitting low draws with that.

Bitter
7th December 2015, 12:57 PM
I can sell you my TP shaft that I took out of my Mini Driver, I was hitting low draws with that.

How much are you asking?

icandy
7th December 2015, 01:26 PM
$35 will do.

Bitter
7th December 2015, 01:45 PM
$35 will do.

PM Sent