PDA

View Full Version : SA: Xmas hols golf in the SE

Lagerlover
17th November 2015, 09:57 PM
Will be looking for a couple of games between Xmas and mid Jan around Bordertown, Naracoorte or Kingston.

Anyone?

coalesce
17th November 2015, 10:14 PM
Talart is a member at Robe, but I haven't seen him post anything in a while. You could send him a PM?

I'm not sure when I'm working over the holidays yet, so I'm probably out at this stage :(

Lagerlover
17th November 2015, 10:28 PM
Someone recently mentioned the possibility of them playing a Bordertown event in January, can't remember who though..

Hatchman
17th November 2015, 10:28 PM
Will be looking for a couple of games between Xmas and mid Jan around Bordertown, Naracoorte or Kingston.

Anyone?

Depending on the days/dates I may be able to do a day trip or at a long stretch 2 days/1 night stay.
I haven't played Bordertown before and need to add it to my played list.

Lagerlover
17th November 2015, 10:32 PM
Open diary Hatch.

Staying on the farm in Mundulla or kicking back in Kingston... so it'd be whatever suits you guys.
Is there a decent country track half way between you and Bordertown we could play?

hippo10
17th November 2015, 10:36 PM
Depending on the days/dates I may be able to do a day trip or at a long stretch 2 days/1 night stay. I haven't played Bordertown before and need to add it to my played list. Well worth playing if you get the chance. That's where I learnt to play.

Hatchman
17th November 2015, 11:11 PM
Open diary Hatch.

Staying on the farm in Mundulla or kicking back in Kingston... so it'd be whatever suits you guys.
Is there a decent country track half way between you and Bordertown we could play?

There's not too much 1/2 way. Lake Albert is a hidden gem of a course, well it was last time I played it near 12 years ago.
TailemBend has greens but it's nothing great although I've always enjoyed playing it. Keith is good and so is Lucindale. I haven't played Robe. I don't rate Murray Bridge.

Chilled
18th November 2015, 09:09 AM
Crissy to new years will be out for me....usually on holidays with family playing the riverland courses. But I could definitely be up for a trip sometime in January, not too close to new years.

thecollective
29th November 2015, 11:26 AM
There's not too much 1/2 way. Lake Albert is a hidden gem of a course, well it was last time I played it near 12 years ago.
TailemBend has greens but it's nothing great although I've always enjoyed playing it. Keith is good and so is Lucindale. I haven't played Robe. I don't rate Murray Bridge.

have to do Millicent!

Hatchman
29th November 2015, 12:47 PM
have to do Millicent!

Millicent is a very good choice.

Lagerlover
29th November 2015, 05:30 PM
Yep, second only to Naracoorte

Hatchman
29th November 2015, 06:47 PM
Yep, second only to Naracoorte

My record at Naracoorte is far better than my Millicent one but I do rate Millicent the better of the two courses.
Both are great and easily of SA OzGolf Champs Standard.

nadg63
29th November 2015, 06:53 PM
My record at Naracoorte is far better than my Millicent one but I do rate Millicent the better of the two courses.

Not sure that's exactly a good endorsement or not!? :)

Hatchman
29th November 2015, 07:50 PM
We could play Thaxted Park then talk low std [emoji3]

thecollective
29th November 2015, 09:18 PM

I rate Mt Gambier the best of the three - followed by Millicent and then Naracoorte.

Nara is good but the front nine is far too up and back for me.

Mt Gambier takes you around some amazing undulating land, besides the first hole there is a number of strong hole runs.

Millicent has land that beats all three, soil is reminiscent of Royal Melbourne, if I was a multi millionaire I would build a resort here and turn it into a top 20 golf course

hippo10
29th November 2015, 10:32 PM
Have you played Bordertown TC? Be interested to hear your opinion of it. It's built on some decent sandhills and one if the morcoms was significant in its design.

Lagerlover
29th November 2015, 11:29 PM
What's your favourite couple of holes hippo?

thecollective
30th November 2015, 10:30 AM
Hippo; I have never played btown but have heard lots of good things about it

Lagerlover
30th November 2015, 11:12 AM
Have you heard that no one actually calls it btwon?

thecollective
30th November 2015, 11:20 AM
Have you heard that no one actually calls it btwon?

Just trying to hype the thread with some Gen Y grammar

hippo10
30th November 2015, 11:42 AM
What's your favourite couple of holes hippo?
That's a tough question. I quite like 11, a mid iron par 3 set in a pretty natural green site. The green slopes pretty severely from front to back but is a lot wider at the back with bunkers guarding the front. Can make for an interesting decision on the tee where ensuring that you clear the bunkers often leaves you with a slippery downhill putt.

4 is also quite good. Slight dogleg left par 4 where the second shot is played over a deep valley to a subtly deceptive green.

I don't think that there are any 'great' holes there but it has some interesting terrain and is always an enjoyable place to play.

wazamac
8th December 2015, 10:41 AM
Bordertown/ Naracoorte double I would be intersested in. Haven't played either of them. Stay overnight in Naracoorte.
Bordertown Open usually happens around March but will be OS then.

Hatchman
18th December 2015, 09:36 PM
Woohoo.5 more sleeps and I'm on my way!!

Any particular dates for this game?

Lagerlover
18th December 2015, 10:28 PM
Open diary boys

Hatchman
18th December 2015, 10:47 PM
What dates are you down the SE?

Lagerlover
18th December 2015, 10:49 PM
25/12-08/01

Hatchman
21st December 2015, 12:23 PM
Apart from the public holidays I don't have any time off so that leaves Fri 1st, Sat 2nd or Sun 3rd as best options for me.
We had a very brief discussion re: day trip or 2days 1 night stay at the Vines the other week.
I know some weren't keen on the long drive for one day but that doesn't bother me.
It's most likely going to be a day trip for me as the funds have taken a severe beating with some un expected bills. Have done many a 4 hrs drive and play and drive back home for golf over the years. Happy to take a couple of passengers.

Only thing now is to choose date(s) and course(s) if anyone else is going to stay overnight?
I take it Sat & Sun is the preferred options?

3Puttpete
21st December 2015, 12:52 PM
Benno_r wants in. Seems he's in the SE

Lagerlover
21st December 2015, 05:44 PM
Happy to play wherever Hatch.

If no interest from others, what about we play that Lake Albert course you mentioned?

Lagerlover
21st December 2015, 05:45 PM
Naracoorte/Millicent/Bordertown/Keith can be left for a proper OG getaway some other time.

nadg63
21st December 2015, 06:15 PM
Happy to play wherever Hatch.

If no interest from others, what about we play that Lake Albert course you mentioned?

Reputed to be a very nice course. If carts are available and the dates are good I may even make the trip!

coalesce
21st December 2015, 07:01 PM
Still waiting to find out when the other half is working to know if I can get away. It would be day trip only for me if I can do it

nadg63
21st December 2015, 07:23 PM
Still waiting to find out when the other half is working to know if I can get away. It would be day trip only for me if I can do it

If Lake Albert is the go then it's an easy day trip, we used to drive down there just to go fishing.

wazamac
21st December 2015, 09:12 PM
Never played Lake Albert. I'd be in. Officially the I shut the factories from 24th to the 18th but I will still be in and out with work. Can work around any dates though.

Lagerlover
21st December 2015, 09:17 PM
Never played Lake Albert. I'd be in. Officially the I shut the factories from 24th to the 18th but I will still be in and out with work. Can work around any dates though.

Coolio!!

Don't forget to bring your $90 RA voucher to show me.

nadg63
21st December 2015, 09:22 PM
Apart from the public holidays I don't have any time off so that leaves Fri 1st, Sat 2nd or Sun 3rd as best options for me.
We had a very brief discussion re: day trip or 2days 1 night stay at the Vines the other week.
I know some weren't keen on the long drive for one day but that doesn't bother me.
It's most likely going to be a day trip for me as the funds have taken a severe beating with some un expected bills. Have done many a 4 hrs drive and play and drive back home for golf over the years. Happy to take a couple of passengers.

Only thing now is to choose date(s) and course(s) if anyone else is going to stay overnight?
I take it Sat & Sun is the preferred options?

Having looked at my allocated time off over Xmas/New Year Sunday 3rd would work for me.

nadg63
21st December 2015, 09:24 PM
http://www.lakealbertgolfclub.com.au/

wazamac
21st December 2015, 09:28 PM
Coolio!!

Don't forget to bring your $90 RA voucher to show me.

Lagerlover
21st December 2015, 09:30 PM
Having looked at my allocated time off over Xmas/New Year Sunday 3rd would work for me.

I'm in

Lagerlover
21st December 2015, 09:31 PM

did you take it out of its frame to take that photo?

Hatchman
21st December 2015, 09:32 PM
Lake Albert is a great layout and a hidden gem. Back in the late 80's early 90's they had some of the best quality greens in S.A.

Not sure on what cart availability would be at lake Albert if possible at all?
Not if the club house would even be open on a Sunday either?

wazamac
21st December 2015, 09:32 PM
It's a date. But where's the nearest schnitty?

wazamac
21st December 2015, 09:35 PM
did you take it out of its frame to take that photo?

This is why I took a photo of it. Didn't want to risk breaking the glass in the car.:D

coalesce
21st December 2015, 09:44 PM
If I could find where I safely stashed it, I'd take a photo of my participation certificate from SA Champs

Lagerlover
21st December 2015, 09:54 PM
Haha..

I've got spares

Hatchman
21st December 2015, 10:03 PM
What, one of these things?

nadg63
21st December 2015, 10:06 PM
Lake Albert is a great layout and a hidden gem. Back in the late 80's early 90's they had some of the best quality greens in S.A.

Not sure on what cart availability would be at lake Albert if possible at all?
Not if the club house would even be open on a Sunday either?

Have just emailed them regarding carts.

Hatchman
22nd December 2015, 12:08 PM
It's a date. But where's the nearest schnitty?

Not sure what the rep of the Pub in Meningie is. Many years ago it was a bit dark :wink:

We locking in the Sun 3rd at Lake Albert.
What time we aiming for?
It's a 2hr 15min drive for me, getting up at 4:30-5am is not an issue for me (just like a day shift week ��)

Lagerlover
22nd December 2015, 12:34 PM
I'm good for whenever. According to the map I'm one street away.

Just need to keep the ocean on my left.

coalesce
22nd December 2015, 01:03 PM
If I'm honest, teeing off at 9-9.30 or later would be as early as I'd be able to motivate myself to get out of bed.

thecollective
22nd December 2015, 01:08 PM
sorry guys, too far for me and timing not good (back @ work next day 4/1)

nadg63
22nd December 2015, 01:27 PM

I'm back on the 4th too, not an issue tho.

Time wise, anything up to 9am!? (in case of another heat wave passing through)

I'll book a cart once tee times are confirmed.

Btw: carts are available.

Hatchman
22nd December 2015, 01:37 PM

I can give you lift mate, it's not a problem.

wazamac
22nd December 2015, 01:41 PM
I can pick you up Nadj if you want.

Hatchman
22nd December 2015, 01:48 PM
I'm good for whenever. According to the map I'm one street away.

Just need to keep the ocean on my left.

Which way would you go, highway or ocean/coorong rd?
Lots and I mean lots of wild life along the ocean rd. Dawn and dusk the high risk times.

Lagerlover
22nd December 2015, 02:22 PM
Lots and I mean lots of wild life along the ocean rd. Dawn and dusk the high risk times.

Pelicans and aboriginals?

Lagerlover
22nd December 2015, 02:24 PM
Was planning the coorong if we are in Kingston, highway if we're in Mundulla.

Hatchman
22nd December 2015, 02:36 PM
Pelicans and aboriginals?

Could be some of those too.
Last trip I did along there saw a very large count of dead Roos, Wallabies and even a couple of dead Deer. I was shocked at the high numbers.

Lagerlover
22nd December 2015, 02:38 PM
You certainly sound rattled.

(thanks for the heads up)

Hard_Pan
22nd December 2015, 03:34 PM
I'm going to be staying at Hahndorf that night and Meningie is only 1 1/2 hrs away so I'm able to join you guys (unless you've got a foursome already). Let me know.

Lagerlover
22nd December 2015, 03:43 PM
Country course HP, groups of 5 and 6 not uncommon.

Hard_Pan
22nd December 2015, 04:17 PM
Ok.. Well I'm available and keen to try this course as I've been to Meningie many times but never played golf there.

Hatchman
22nd December 2015, 05:20 PM
Country course HP, groups of 5 and 6 not uncommon.

Yep, can't see it being a problem. First couple to hole out go to the next tee and hit off and it's still almost as quick as a 4.

thecollective
22nd December 2015, 05:26 PM
put me down as pencil for now - missus will have to suck it up :mrgreen:

nadg63
22nd December 2015, 06:06 PM
I can pick you up Nadj if you want.

Cheers, want to share a cart or prefer to walk?

Could be some of those too.
Last trip I did along there saw a very large count of dead Roos, Wallabies and even a couple of dead Deer. I was shocked at the high numbers.

Certainly lots of dead roos normally to be found on the side of the road! When we used to go there fishing, Carp, (Pommie thing :) ), we always knew if one of the guys was ahead of us as we'd normally spot a dead roo with a leg missing - he used to have his own bait 'farm', (maggots!), so he'd take a leg home for that! Yeuch.

I'm going to be staying at Hahndorf that night and Meningie is only 1 1/2 hrs away so I'm able to join you guys (unless you've got a foursome already). Let me know.

Could be 6 or so of us at this rate so a couple of groups.

put me down as pencil for now - missus will have to suck it up :mrgreen:

The foot is DOWN :)

Hatchman
22nd December 2015, 06:23 PM
Ok all, how does 9am hit off sound or do we we want to aim for 8 or 8:30am? Just thinking of the travel time.
I've possibly got the furtherest to go @ 2hr 15min according to google maps (it took me longer than that to get to the Victor round in S.A Champs) and I'll be fine with 8am if that's what we want.
Hoping to have the details sorted in the next day and half so I can give them a buzz this Thurs at the latest.

nadg63
22nd December 2015, 06:26 PM
Ok all, how does 9am hit off sound or do we we want to aim for 8 or 8:30am? Just thinking of the travel time.
I've possibly got the furtherest to go @ 2hr 15min according to google maps (it took me longer than that to get to the Victor round in S.A Champs) and I'll be fine with 8am if that's what we want.
Hoping to have the details sorted in the next day and half so I can give them a buzz this Thurs at the latest.

Happy here with whatever time from the above you choose.

Hard_Pan
22nd December 2015, 06:30 PM
Happy with all that too. This IS Sunday the 4th we're talking about?? :)

wazamac
22nd December 2015, 06:42 PM
Happy with whatever suits.

Nadj, might share the cart if nobody else wants it. My foot is pulling up reasonably well nowadays so not fussed either way.

coalesce
22nd December 2015, 06:44 PM
9 is ok for me. It's a 2hr drive for me too and not keen to start earlier as I have things on the night before.

coalesce
22nd December 2015, 06:45 PM
Happy with all that too. This IS Sunday the 4th we're talking about?? :)

4th is a Monday. We're talking the 3rd

Chilled
22nd December 2015, 06:45 PM
Might be able to make it, light pencil for me. Long way for a game of golf!

wazamac
22nd December 2015, 07:22 PM
Hard_Pan, I think you might be on January 2015 Calander.
Beleive me, I don't want another 2015:shock:

nadg63
22nd December 2015, 08:38 PM
Might be able to make it, light pencil for me. Long way for a game of golf!

This one is a doddle, couple of years ago HB and me did a day trip to The Dunes for a game, then home again.

Hatchman
22nd December 2015, 09:14 PM
This one is a doddle, couple of years ago HB and me did a day trip to The Dunes for a game, then home again.

Did the Mt Gambier run from Gepps Cross straight off a 12hr night shift. Finished work at 6am, showered at work and jumped in car and straight through to Mt Gambier golf course for midday tee off. Was 2 over after 12 doing it easy then hit the wall finishing 9 over. Very disapoint and very tiered.

Hatchman
22nd December 2015, 09:24 PM
I'll call up for 9am booking Sun 3rd 2016 :razz:

We have:
1: Larger
2: Hatch
3. Waz
4. Nadg
5. Hardpan
6. Coalesce
7. TC
8. Chilled (pencil)

Hard_Pan
22nd December 2015, 11:17 PM
Yep, Sunday the 3rd.. :roll: all good.

thecollective
23rd December 2015, 10:06 AM
hit the pen, im in - wife gave me silent treatment, then accepted defeat

3Puttpete
23rd December 2015, 10:08 AM
Is there anyone participating in this anywhere near Seacombe Heights?

Hatchman
23rd December 2015, 10:26 AM
Is there anyone participating in this anywhere near Seacombe Heights?

Opposite end of Rad to myself, TC and Hard Pan.
The Vines Marfia may be able help?

3Puttpete
23rd December 2015, 10:31 AM
Cheers Hatch.

Rightio Vines mafia, what say you?

Hatchman
23rd December 2015, 10:33 AM
hit the pen, im in - wife gave me silent treatment, then accepted defeat

Excellent

I treasure the silent treatment moments from the Minister .
It's a bit like a cease fire on the Gazza strip. You know it's not going to last and you know it's only time being used to re-group before the bombardment starts again over nothing [emoji3]

coalesce
23rd December 2015, 10:48 AM
Cheers Hatch.

Rightio Vines mafia, what say you?

Not far from me. What can I do for you Mr Ex-Champ?

3Puttpete
23rd December 2015, 10:50 AM
Good man. I'll pm you

Hatchman
23rd December 2015, 02:18 PM
I'll call up for 9am booking Sun 3rd 2016 :razz:

We have:
1: Larger
2: Hatch
3. Waz
4. Nadg
5. Hardpan
6. Coalesce
7. TC
8. Chilled (pencil)

I called up today to book us in. They have nothing on and nothing booked in so they said just rock up and play.
Have been told Club House won't be open and like all small country towns use an honesty box for green fees so bring $25 cash for that.

It's most likely going to be mid 30's temps so bring some drinks. I'll bring a large esky with some ice to chuck your drinks in to keep them cold.

Lagerlover
23rd December 2015, 04:32 PM
Excellent.

Thanks Hatch

nadg63
23rd December 2015, 04:46 PM
So definitely happening? If so I'll see how I go about getting a cart when the club house etc is not going to be open!?

Guessing there must be somewhere we can go afterwards for a drink/food if wanted?

Hatchman
23rd December 2015, 05:15 PM
So definitely happening? If so I'll see how I go about getting a cart when the club house etc is not going to be open!?

Guessing there must be somewhere we can go afterwards for a drink/food if wanted?

There's another contact number for a different person to who you ring for bookings on the web page to ring about Golf Carts. Possibly a member that loans his or some out (just guessing)? Give him a ring mate and find out what the deal is?
I'm sure something will be open in town for food & drink (Schnit?).

nadg63
23rd December 2015, 07:32 PM
There's another contact number for a different person to who you ring for bookings on the web page to ring about Golf Carts. Possibly a member that loans his or some out (just guessing)? Give him a ring mate and find out what the deal is?

I have the number here HM in their reply to my email. Cheers.

nadg63
26th December 2015, 12:22 PM
For cart booking purposes, what time has been settled on, 9am!?

Hatchman
26th December 2015, 01:40 PM
For cart booking purposes, what time has been settled on, 9am!?,

Yes, we are aiming for 9am.

thecollective
26th December 2015, 03:24 PM

Worst case Murray Bridge pub does a good schnit,

Lagerlover
28th December 2015, 10:33 AM
Come back to Mundulla for a Pooginagoric turkey schnitty...

Magnificent

Lagerlover
28th December 2015, 10:34 AM
Forgot to mention they're free range....

Healthy body, healthy mind...catch cry for 2017

Lagerlover
28th December 2015, 10:35 AM
Deep fried in GM free canola oil which makes me even healthier

Hatchman
28th December 2015, 10:56 AM
Haven't tried a Turkey Schnit before.

nadg63
29th December 2015, 04:11 PM
Been trying to arrange a cart today, but to no avail so far! If it doesn't happen then I'll likely have to bail :(

nadg63
29th December 2015, 05:27 PM
Been trying to arrange a cart today, but to no avail so far! If it doesn't happen then I'll likely have to bail :(

Cart sorted, I'm in :)

Hatchman
29th December 2015, 06:08 PM
Cart sorted, I'm in :)

Excellent.
It's likely to be a cool 35degrees so you can play drink cart wench between picking up early on bad holes ��

Lagerlover
29th December 2015, 08:13 PM
Boys,

I've somehow hurt my knee. If no one else has put their hand up, I'll jump in with Nadg.

Lagerlover
29th December 2015, 08:14 PM
If someone has, can another cart be sorted on my behalf please?

nadg63
29th December 2015, 09:41 PM
Boys,

I've somehow hurt my knee. If no one else has put their hand up, I'll jump in with Nadg.

All good, Waza would have taken the spot if vacant but happy to walk so all good LL, it's yours. We'll make a right pair, knackered knees all round! (I had both of them playing up over the weekend, twisted the right one trying to give the dodgy left one an easier time - duh!)

Lagerlover
29th December 2015, 09:59 PM
Thanks mate.

I'll make sure I bring waz something nice

Lagerlover
29th December 2015, 10:03 PM
Any of you blokes got a really cheap buggy you've be thinking of getting rid of?

Nephew's vintage pilgrim buggy finally gave up the ghost the other day, they're doing it a little tough and I wouldn't mind finding him something.

Hatchman
30th December 2015, 07:55 AM
Any of you blokes got a really cheap buggy you've be thinking of getting rid of?

Nephew's vintage pilgrim buggy finally gave up the ghost the other day, they're doing it a little tough and I wouldn't mind finding him something.

I have an old Pilgrim copy he can have.

Lagerlover
30th December 2015, 09:28 AM
That'd be great Hatchy

Lagerlover
2nd January 2016, 10:26 AM
that breeze might be hurting tomorrow chaps.

Hard_Pan
2nd January 2016, 12:49 PM
All set for tomorrow at 9.00am. Hardly use any cash these days but got my $25.00 for the honest box... Why can't this club have a pay wave honesty box.. c'mon get with the times guys!! ;)

Lagerlover
2nd January 2016, 01:09 PM
What's half a cart worth Nadge?

Hatchman
2nd January 2016, 01:30 PM
that breeze might be hurting tomorrow chaps.

Diet problems? ��

nadg63
2nd January 2016, 04:08 PM
What's half a cart worth Nadge?

$17.50

Lagerlover
2nd January 2016, 05:54 PM
Diet problems? ��

No $hit!!

Lagerlover
2nd January 2016, 05:55 PM
$17.50

Cool. See you all there.

Last chance for any stuff needing to go North..... not bluu!!!

Hatchman
2nd January 2016, 06:20 PM
No $hit!!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/01/6c2590b8653cf94fc465c99476506ef5.jpg

Try some of these. I have know idea what they are but internet recommend.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/01/bc19c0eb38ec8f137841d42e3fb9b013.jpg

Lagerlover
2nd January 2016, 06:31 PM
Post reported.

thecollective
2nd January 2016, 09:17 PM
Feel bad only putting $12.50 in the honesty box - but I guess that is what recips are for

see u there! unless Hatch kicks me out of the car on the way for being annoying

Lagerlover
2nd January 2016, 09:45 PM
I trust Waz is all over the Mr Percival Cup, and the pelican is to scale.

3Puttpete
2nd January 2016, 09:47 PM
Proper number 1 special fella

Lagerlover
2nd January 2016, 10:26 PM
Racist.

One of Ernie's better movies for mine.

Lagerlover
2nd January 2016, 11:26 PM
Might wear a better fitting cap...

Lagerlover
3rd January 2016, 02:46 AM
Near 40k winds... I'm thinking 4bbb or 2 ball ambrose might be more "fun"

thecollective
3rd January 2016, 08:20 AM
Hatch already off to a good start, waitress was keen on the attire (and potentially the contents) then the first birdie of the day at the Meningie turnoff

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/50ce1d8e15af7d1c6fbdbf8297a4f3aa.jpg

highballin
3rd January 2016, 08:45 AM
Love it! Good ol Hot Pants :)

Hatchman
3rd January 2016, 01:30 PM

coalesce
3rd January 2016, 02:34 PM
I dunno FU Coffee implies she didn't like you ;)

mrbluu
3rd January 2016, 05:15 PM
I dunno FU Coffee implies she didn't like you ;)
Depends if it came with a happy ending ;)

Chilled
3rd January 2016, 05:18 PM
Hot in pants but not in game :D

Great turn out and good to see everyone again, really enjoyed the hit today. Very interesting course. Tough greens, grass wise......some good risk/reward holes.....but overall most holes were interesting in some way or another.

I'd play there again given the opportunity.

Chilled
3rd January 2016, 05:22 PM
The scenic 18th right dogleg with the lake in the distant background....

....and the Percival Pelican cup winner with 32 points, coalesce!

Hatchman
3rd January 2016, 06:36 PM
Had great day, well worth the 2hr drive. Good to catch up with all.
Got off to a great start with the flirty Tanya at the Tailem Bend Shell Roadhouse. Got the first birdie off the day with a topnot bouncing off the windscreen right in front of TC just after the Meningie turn off.

Well done to coalesce on being the inaugural winner of the Mr Percival cup. I needed that birdie on the last more than just for having two in a row that I knew at the time.

The layout off the course is fantastic with plenty of variety and better than I remember it. The greens grass is much different to what I remember thou. At a guess I think they've lost the fight to maintain good quality fine left grass greens and have gone to a course leaf couch. This made them a little fickle to chip to and putt on. Puting a good roll on the ball is the key to stopping the putts from bouncing a lot and wandering off the line.

Thumbs down to the Meningie Hotel for not having any Chicken Schnits or Coorong Mullet when we checked in for lunch ��

Lagerlover
3rd January 2016, 07:31 PM
Good day boys. Appreciate all the travel made by all.

Great course layout, different grass on the greens and it would be spot on!!

nadg63
3rd January 2016, 07:38 PM
As per previous, good social day out playing Lake Albert Golf Course at Meningie. Weather wise it was sunny, not too hot with an occasional breeze. Was good to be having a hit again, albeit having to use a cart, shared with LL who'd also managed to hurt his knee - a right pair of cripples! Not sure if we'd overdone it over Xmas but the cart cried enough at the 15th green requiring a quick call to the office and a replacement being sent out. Cheers guys, enjoyable day.

coalesce
3rd January 2016, 09:01 PM
An enjoyable day all round. I actually enjoyed the drive but then I guess the novelty of Australian vistas of salt lakes and green/gold hasn't worn off yet still!

I started with 2 pars on my way to 18 points with 2 wipes on the front 9. Choked a bit on the back 9 - another 2 wipes and some scrambles for 1s on the back meant only 14 on the back

I actually didn't mind the greens and although different, I didn't think them any harder to putt on tho I did have one change direction off the grain at the last minute early on so just decided to putt the break out on any shorter ones after

It was definitely a little gem of a course tho. With 5 par 5s and some varied par 4s there was plenty to think about. 4 of the 5 par 3s were a little samey tho - varying only by about 20m with the same layout. Would definitely go back tho!

Finally thanks to Lagerlover for being the instigator of this - without you we wouldn't have played there at all!

Hatchman
3rd January 2016, 11:23 PM
The par 3's are as follows:
3rd 145m
6th 160m
9th 170m
12th 130m
14th 160m

Agreed 4 of the 5 play very much the same and is a small weakness in the great lay out.
The 3rd and 12th are the best of the 5. The 3rd while shorter than 6,9 & 14 plays the same as those 3 as the green is very elevated from the tee block level making it easily 2 clubs more than the yardage. The 4 greens all have dead ground in front of the green making a full carry from tee to green important.
The 12th is great par 3 with it's long skinny bunker protecting all of the left hand side and some of the back and the drop off dip on the right hand side. The green is tiny and is an upside down saucer. Combine this with the exposure to any breeze/wind off the tee and it's no snack. A bit surprised that it's rated the easiest hole on the course.

Not sure if they do club member statistics to rate their holes but I found the easy ratings of theses par 3's a bit odd and in contrast off 7 I have shots on 4 of the 5 par 5's including indexes 1&2.

thecollective
4th January 2016, 09:51 AM
Agree with Hatch; besides the fantastic 12th the par 3's were like deja vu (elevated tee, downhill bunkerless green). Reminded me a little of Murray Bridge. The 6th and 9th were so similar I checked with Lager to see if we were playing the same hole.

The undulating sand belt land was a great site to see - when you have such good land and soil it is very easy to carve a good layout and they have certainly done that at Lake Albert. I was a big fan of holes 11, 12 and 17 plus I like the change to #1 with just the one tree as opposed to an overflow (ala Tanunda / Victor Harbor) strategy that stifles the hole. I thought the Par 5's were all a tad too long in length with no real short one to encourage club/handicap golfers to reach in two.

Big thanks to 'Hotpants' Hatch for the lift and Lager for getting us out into the country. We should do it again sometime soon. Perhaps a Waikerie trip should be put on the cards again.

Hatchman
4th January 2016, 05:29 PM
I think a day trip to Waikerie some time during the year is a must do.
It's 2hrs from the City and an easy drive down the Sturt hwy.
Waikerie is another great layout with better conditioning than Lake Albert.

coalesce
4th January 2016, 06:16 PM
I'd have to go to the bakery just for the alliteration

Lagerlover
4th January 2016, 07:22 PM
I was asked why I didn't bring any pies back when I got home.

Lagerlover
4th January 2016, 07:24 PM
I was asked why I didn't bring any pies back when I got home. gave her a reason to talk to me, which was nice.

Hatchman
4th January 2016, 07:26 PM
I was asked why I didn't bring any pies back when I got home.

You ate all of doz you bought :-s?
If only they knew :razz:

Lagerlover
4th January 2016, 07:32 PM
Hahaha.

Least no animals were harmed in my trip. PETA have been informed, lesbians on the way.

marcel
4th January 2016, 07:35 PM

Well played

Hatchman
4th January 2016, 07:36 PM
Hahaha.

Least no animals were harmed in my trip. PETA have been informed, lesbians on the way.

I didn't kill anything on the way home, only on the way there :evil:.

I'm a member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals :lol:

Lagerlover
4th January 2016, 07:40 PM
I'm a member of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals :lol:

So I trust you've reported the white jacket wearing imbecile at the Meningie Pub for not carrying enough chicken schnitties??

Lagerlover
4th January 2016, 07:41 PM
Still can't remember butterfish/Jew/mullaway ever being thinner than the breaded coating.

thecollective
4th January 2016, 07:51 PM
Or the schnitzel with more moisture in the batter than the bloody gravy

Lagerlover
4th January 2016, 07:53 PM

You're schnit was battered?

thecollective
4th January 2016, 07:54 PM
It was crumbed with a shiteload of flour

Lagerlover
4th January 2016, 08:00 PM
I have an old Pilgrim copy he can have.

Hatchy,

Handed this over this morning, and the young bloke was absolutely beside himself.

Thanks once again.

3Puttpete
4th January 2016, 08:06 PM

Wouldn't that be a rhyme?

Hatchman
4th January 2016, 08:07 PM

You're schnit was battered?

It was crumbed with a shiteload of flour

So I trust you've reported the white jacket wearing imbecile at the Meningie Pub for not carrying enough chicken schnitties??

Crumb coating was not adhered very well to the schnit, it fell to bits when trying to cut. Schnit was on top of chips and pepper gravy had no heat what so ever. It was a 4 maybe 5 at best.
Just for the record a score of 3 would result in not bothering to eat it all.

The Pub is on the Schnit Sh!t list along with Schnit House. Their Schnitzel frying cards should be re-voked

Lagerlover
4th January 2016, 08:09 PM
I'm not complaining, it was nice to be able to sit inside.

Hatchman
4th January 2016, 08:09 PM
Hatchy,

Handed this over this morning, and the young bloke was absolutely beside himself.

Thanks once again.

Excellent, happy to help.

coalesce
4th January 2016, 08:18 PM
Wouldn't that be a rhyme?

Possibly. It could be both consonance and assonance. It isn't alliteration because the first letter or the first letter of the first stressed syllable isn't repeated. But the joke doesn't scan as well then

Lagerlover
4th January 2016, 08:41 PM
Possibly. It could be both consonance and assonance. It isn't alliteration because the first letter or the first letter of the first stressed syllable isn't repeated. But the joke doesn't scan as well then Then you guys wonder why the dumbass interstaters don't like us.

Hatchman
5th January 2016, 06:39 PM
Possibly. It could be both consonance and assonance. It isn't alliteration because the first letter or the first letter of the first stressed syllable isn't repeated. But the joke doesn't scan as well then

Then you guys wonder why the dumbass interstaters don't like us.

Please forgive him, he's still classed as an alien :).
At least another 5-6yrs go or full acceptance of FUIC for that to change .

Lagerlover
10th January 2016, 07:35 AM
Played Naracoorte Friday, couple of the greens a little stressed, but fairways in great condition 11th still my favourite ..make the trip boys!!!

Bordertown's greens in best condition I've seen them, though off fairway is still and always will be dead and buried.

Heard Millicent has had to pull their water back at moment and some parts are struggling a little.

Didn't get the clubs out at Kingston, but that was looking pretty green from the road.

Over and out.

Daves
10th January 2016, 08:23 AM
Please forgive him, he's still classed as an alien :).
At least another 5-6yrs go or full acceptance of FUIC for that to change .

I believe there are BOLOs out for him in most states these days. He has to keep on the move.....