PDA

View Full Version : Pdp points, choosing a pro

dougkpga
24th April 2006, 06:20 PM
I know I put this in another section as well but I need some answers. Thanks all.

I wonder if any golfers out there know what the PDP program of the PGA is?

Do you know the difference between an A rated and a AAA rated golf pro is?

How do you decide on a pro to go to?

Is it true that 70% of golfers have either had one or no lessons in the last year?

I am doing a bit of research as I am a PGA pro myself.

Jarro
24th April 2006, 06:26 PM
Is it true that 70% of golfers have either had one or no lessons in the last year?

i'd say that's probably right.

as for the rest of the questions, i have no idea :mrgreen:

AndyP
24th April 2006, 06:35 PM
I don't.

I'm guessing AAA is better right? What do I win?

Word of mouth. Would sit down with the pro first to see if they are right for me too.

Dunno, let me ask another nine golfers. I have never had a one-on-one lesson with a pro.

BTW, one thread is enough. It will be seen.

3oneday
24th April 2006, 07:51 PM
Jarro knows the difference between an A rated and an X rated Pro I believe !!!!

Never heard of the PDP program, in this place I thought it must have been computer speak for something.

Does an AAA rated charge more ?? I reckon.....

Last Pro I went to I went because he was just starting out, so I wanted to help him out. More a donation than a lesson I reckon.

Pete

Jarro
24th April 2006, 08:14 PM
Last Pro I went to I went because he was just starting out, so I wanted to help him out. More a donation than a lesson I reckon.

.. how long until he gets out of therapy ?

Bruce
24th April 2006, 09:46 PM
I'm guessing that PDP stands for some sort of Professional Development Program and would have something to do with accreditation for teaching pros. That would be used to separate out between A or AAA ratings based on completing these programs.

Almost every 'coach' in Australia has to undergo some sort of accreditation now. I had a level 1 for Volleyball and level 2 for AFL umpiring. Mine decay and need to be renewed periodically, does the same apply to your golf ones Doug?

I can easily believe the 70% number. It may even be worse than that. I know an awful lot of golfers who are content to go round with swings that really would make Ben Hogan puke. Parry looks like Els in comparison to some of the choppers I play with. And their fine with that. You're asking that question here in a place where the people are into golf and much more likely than the general populus to take a lesson and quite a few of them haven't/won't.

I chose my Pro based on a friends recommendation and how the first lesson went with him to see if his style of teaching was a match for my style of learning.

I had a look at your site. Are you now on the Gold Coast having previously been in Melbourne?

Keza_G
24th April 2006, 09:48 PM
Professional development Program

The amount of Professional Development seminars etc they have attended or Teacher information they have purchased determines the PDP points and therefore a higher rated professional is more qualified not only to teach but also in regards to acquiring Trainee's... Pro's with AAA rating can have 2 trainee's (as does my boss)

Word of mouth but also sucess with previous students....But I work with 3 Pro's and actually go to one of them...

A true statement.... but also... those that have had one, if they are happy with the results will usually go back for more.....

3oneday
24th April 2006, 10:18 PM
Professional development Program

The amount of Professional Development seminars etc they have attended or Teacher information they have purchased determines the PDP points and therefore a higher rated professional is more qualified not only to teach but also in regards to acquiring Trainee's... Pro's with AAA rating can have 2 trainee's (as does my boss)

Word of mouth but also sucess with previous students....But I work with 3 Pro's and actually go to one of them...

A true statement.... but also... those that have had one, if they are happy with the results will usually go back for more.....did you get the job ??

Oh, not a position vacant ad ?? sorry ;)

:lol:

dougkpga
24th April 2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks for this info guys as it is really important to me.

Apologies for showing my sig, this wasn't meant to be a plug.

Please keep it comoing.

BTW.. KezG has it pretty well spot on (I htink she works with pros up near Brisbane?)

Courty
25th April 2006, 10:04 AM

From reading this thread I figured out it probably stands for Professional Development Program. Other than that, I've never heard of it.

The obvious answer would be that a AAA pro is more highly qualified. However, if (as Keza suggests), a AAA rating can be attained just by sitting through more seminars, it probably doesn't mean much unless they are assessed on the information that was presented to make sure they retain the info & understand it's applications.

Hard to say, I haven't seen a pro since I was a junior (15 years ago). If I decide to see someone, I will go to whoever is available, as there isn't much choice where I live. In the meantime, I'll continue to consult Ben Hogan's book when I have problems.

I would have no problems believing that. The majority of golfers I know are happy chopping it around. For them, golf is just an excuse to get away from work/ spend time with friends etc, so they aren't really fussed on what their swing looks like or worried about reducing their handicaps to single figures.

I am doing a bit of research as I am a PGA pro myself.

Hope that I have helped, even though I suspect I have not. ;)

markTHEblake
25th April 2006, 11:20 AM

I know what a PDP is because i have to comply with one in my own business. The general public doesnt need to know what that is, but the do need to be educated that there is value in being accredited with that respective organisation. No different than knowing builder has to be licensed with the BSA, a Doctor with the Medical Board, or a Mortgage Broker with the MIAA.

If the PGA doesnt promote the accreditation, then its pointless.

Obviously AAA is a better teacher but that is meaningless to me unless I know WHY he is a better teacher. In some organisations it simply means he pays a higher membership fee.

The only lessons i have ever had were with my club pro when I was a junior (which were free), and later on Dad shouted me lessons with his old mate Bill Britten (which were technically free) and then from a good freind of mine (for free)

can you see a developing Pattern here. A contributing factor to that would also have been I spent a long time at clubs where the Pro couldnt beat me so why would i get a lesson from him.

probably.

I think that a lot of people perceive lessons as hard work. Its kinda like going to a Physiotherapist. You give him $50 for 20 mins, and he gives you a list of exercises that you gotta spend 1 hour a day doing.

People are looking for quick fixes, if it takes hard work its just too hard.

dougkpga
25th April 2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for your help guys. I have to get back to the PGA with some opinions by the public that are very different from their perceptions.

jimandr
26th April 2006, 10:38 PM
Doug, as it appears that you doing a survey or some early market research, I'll provide my answers, although they will probably confirm what you think about golfers similar to myself.

My golfing profile is similar to MarktheBlake's, although i'm not quite as good as he is, and I could certainly never beat pro's at any time.

I've been playing for over thirty years, and haven't had a lesson for most of that time. I haven't heard of the PDP program, and have no idea of A or AAA ratings.

I don't know whether my local club pro is involved, but purely for convenience (and possibly local loyalty) I'd choose him first if I were to have a lesson.

I know my game and my swing pretty well, and I wouldn't have a lesson at all unless I was desperate (I was very close last year), and it coincided with a holiday. I simply do not have the time, opportunity or desire to put in the effort on the practice fairway to apply whatever lesson tips I would receive.

I suspect there are a lot of golfers with similar views to mine, who would virtually never consider going to a pro for lessons.

Don't know whether this helps or not.