PDA

View Full Version : Club repairs/adjustments Brisbane area

CB84
11th November 2015, 09:34 AM
Hi, I picked up a set of Cleveland 588 irons that I'm keen to have a hit with but they are totally the wrong specs. Need lie angles changed (and lofts checked) as well as having them shortened a bit.

Have rung around and I'm getting quoted about $150 with the usual disclaimer that they will probably blow up most of the grips in the process and that will obviously send the price north.

That sounds high to me, or am I being unrealistic? Anyone got a favourite guy who does good work but doesn't gouge you? Thanks!

mrbluu
11th November 2015, 10:46 AM
Nice intro. Welcome to the forum

chappy1970
11th November 2015, 11:13 AM
CB84, there's a few around the Brissy area who are very good clubmakers.

They will chime in sooner or later

Ferrins
11th November 2015, 01:37 PM
Bit of mucking around for someone you don't know and wants to pay peanuts.

CB84
11th November 2015, 01:59 PM
Peanuts? Bit rough... The going rate for L/L adjustments and shortening was $5 each per club at my old home club in Sydney. So about half what I'm getting quoted up here. Golf World at Capalaba quoted $5 for the shortening but don't do LL, Cool Clubs do the LL for $5 but charge through the nose for length adjustments. They are more the prices I was expecting but was hoping to get them done at one place to save all the driving around. That's all :)

Ferrins
11th November 2015, 02:09 PM
So 40-50 bills at your old club?

CB84
11th November 2015, 02:11 PM
$80 for a set of 8 irons ($5 for the LL, $5 for length)

Ferrins
11th November 2015, 02:13 PM
What model 588?

mrbluu
11th November 2015, 02:13 PM
$80 for a set of 8 irons ($5 for the LL, $5 for length)

You quoted $150 in the OP, where did this number come from??

CB84
11th November 2015, 02:19 PM
588 forged CB/MB combo, the ones that are about 2-3 years old.

$150 was the ballpark for the places that I rang that could do both. Could get them done cheaper individually but involved a lot of driving and stuffing around.

mrbluu
11th November 2015, 02:21 PM
588 forged CB/MB combo, the ones that are about 2-3 years old.

$150 was the ballpark for the places that I rang that could do both. Could get them done cheaper individually but involved a lot of driving and stuffing around.
Gotcha.

Ron Burgundy
11th November 2015, 03:36 PM
Could try Golf Factory Outlet Virginia. I've used them a couple of times for L/L but not shortening, although they may do both. They have a putter L/L machine too and were always good to deal with.

perci
11th November 2015, 04:32 PM
What part of Brisbane are you in ? I may be interested in doing it !

CB84
11th November 2015, 05:26 PM
Hi Perci, I'm in Seven Hills.

chappy1970
11th November 2015, 05:30 PM
CB,
Perci's a jet, he'll sort you no problems

perci
11th November 2015, 06:22 PM
Hi Perci, I'm in Seven Hills.

To Easy I'm just over at Tarragindi !

bdoug10
6th March 2022, 11:28 AM
Any updated list for lie adjustments around Brisbane? Lately been feeling like the toe is up on most of my irons. When I got them fit it was 2 deg up but maybe swing has changed?

perci
17th March 2022, 01:18 PM
What Irons mate?

markTHEblake
17th March 2022, 01:32 PM
Any updated list for lie adjustments around Brisbane? Lately been feeling like the toe is up on most of my irons. When I got them fit it was 2 deg up but maybe swing has changed? I really suggest you go have a whack on a GC Quad, its the best way to check lie angles. It will give you precise adjustments within 1/10 of a degree. You could draw a black line on a ball and hit it, but thats not ery precise. Then, you go get Perci to bash em with his big hammer.

bdoug10
17th March 2022, 02:18 PM
What Irons mate? Sim 2 max

bdoug10
17th March 2022, 02:19 PM
I really suggest you go have a whack on a GC Quad, its the best way to check lie angles. It will give you precise adjustments within 1/10 of a degree. You could draw a black line on a ball and hit it, but thats not ery precise. Then, you go get Perci to bash em with his big hammer. How does it do they lie angle? If I go to the big swing place what do I look for?

markTHEblake
17th March 2022, 03:09 PM
How does it do they lie angle? If I go to the big swing place what do I look for? GC quad is super clever.Like all the LMs there are heaps of metrics, its difference over trackman is it uses cameras not radar, so it can do lie angle accurately. Trackman does too but I dont know how accurate it could be, its a new parameter and probably calculated rather than measured. You just tell the guy running the show what you want to measure.

3Puttpete
17th March 2022, 03:19 PM
GC quad is super clever.Like all the LMs there are heaps of metrics, its difference over trackman is it uses cameras not radar, so it can do lie angle accurately. Trackman does too but I dont know how accurate it could be, its a new parameter and probably calculated rather than measured. You just tell the guy running the show what you want to measure.

Or you could get a protractor I suppose

markTHEblake
17th March 2022, 03:35 PM
Or you could get a protractor I suppose Not a silly suggestion... i have had success taking a photo of the clubhead and used meausuring tools to check lie angle of the head. But how you gonna hold the protector while he is hitting the ball?

PeteyD
17th March 2022, 03:57 PM
Not a silly suggestion... i have had success taking a photo of the clubhead and used meausuring tools to check lie angle of the head. But how you gonna hold the protector while he is hitting the ball? Very Carefully

perci
17th March 2022, 05:21 PM
Sim 2 max

Mmm would be pretty hard to bend I imagine!

bdoug10
17th March 2022, 08:22 PM
No problem I’ll just put up with them for another year and maybe get new ones come tax time

3Puttpete
17th March 2022, 08:57 PM
Not a silly suggestion... i have had success taking a photo of the clubhead and used meausuring tools to check lie angle of the head. But how you gonna hold the protector while he is hitting the ball?

No idea. I was gonna hold the ball

Daves
17th March 2022, 10:10 PM
No problem I’ll just put up with them for another year and maybe get new ones come tax time

I presume the face dots they use with the GC Quad enables them to measure Dynamic Lie, amongst other things.

Cast Irons can be a real bastard to bend, and they won't necessarily stay bent over time. They can also break. Ping do bend theirs, but they do so pretty violently, I gather.

At the end of the day, Toe Up is only really an issue if you are delivering the club face heel down and it is catching. This would usually result in a quicker closing face and a pull/hook left.

This is a quick way you can measure your Dynamic Lie yourself;

https://www.golfinred.com/fit-lie-angle-without-lie-board/

2 degrees up is pretty common these days in GI irons, to counter the average players tendency to slice/sky their irons.

BobsYourUncle
16th April 2022, 06:46 PM
Where can I get a graphite shaft pulled in Brisbane?

Seems to be a general lack of club repairs in Brisbane, at least in the south/west. Maybe I should invest in a shaft puller.

PeteyD
16th April 2022, 07:06 PM
Where can I get a graphite shaft pulled in Brisbane?

Seems to be a general lack of club repairs in Brisbane, at least in the south/west. Maybe I should invest in a shaft puller.Send a message to Perci, he may be able to help.

Daves
16th April 2022, 07:46 PM
Send a message to Perci, he may be able to help.

Perci is probably a lot closer. But if you get desperate I can do it for you. I am in Cleveland.