PDA

View Full Version : What score wins your club champs

gumby
9th November 2015, 10:06 PM
Ours was +8 over the 4 rounds done by a +2 marker and former mid-am champion. What about yours?

Steve57
9th November 2015, 10:11 PM
Ours was +2 for four rounds from a guy on 2.

LeftyHoges
10th November 2015, 08:04 AM
Ours is two rounds of stroke to qualify for matchplay. This year I was top qualifier with 71 - 67, then got knocked out in first round of matchplay with 73, so through 3 rounds was -5. Fair to say I'd have finished around par with a massive gagfest in the last round had it been stroke.

Daves
10th November 2015, 08:35 AM
+10 from a scratch marker and ex Club Pro. It was enough to win Gross by 11 shots.

Scifisicko
10th November 2015, 08:52 AM
Ours is two rounds of stroke to qualify for matchplay. This year I was top qualifier with 71 - 67, then got knocked out in first round of matchplay with 73, so through 3 rounds was -5. Fair to say I'd have finished around par with a massive gagfest in the last round had it been stroke.

Sounds like me re the last round, but -5 through 3 rounds is great scoring when it counts. You would have won our 3 round champs by 7 shots. Unlucky to lose matchplay with a 73, was it close?

coalesce
10th November 2015, 09:24 AM
+14 over 4 rounds won ours - the guy who won has a GA of 0.8 went -1, +4, +5, +6 and then won it on a playoff

LeftyHoges
10th November 2015, 09:35 AM
Sounds like me re the last round, but -5 through 3 rounds is great scoring when it counts. You would have won our 3 round champs by 7 shots. Unlucky to lose matchplay with a 73, was it close?

Down 2/1. Literally had 12 straight pars to start the round and was 3 down.

backintheswing
10th November 2015, 09:37 AM
Ours was won by a +1 marker. From memory it was 71, 69, 72, 76.

I was seeded in the last group and another guy in our group shot 69 on the last day to make a playoff.

Scifisicko
10th November 2015, 09:51 AM

Golf gods were against you that day. Your turn next year.

LeftyHoges
10th November 2015, 09:56 AM
Golf gods were against you that day. Your turn next year.

Ha ha. Been saying that for the past 4 years.

mrbluu
10th November 2015, 10:07 AM
Sounds like the other guy played better ;)

LeftyHoges
10th November 2015, 10:19 AM
Sounds like the other guy played better ;)

Exactly. No complaints here in that regard. Just had it been 4 rounds of stroke I would've been 12+ ahead going into the last round. But thems the breaks.

mrbluu
10th November 2015, 10:23 AM
Exactly. No complaints here in that regard. Just had it been 4 rounds of stroke I would've been 12+ ahead going into the last round. But thems the breaks.
Get them to change it. 4 rounds of stroke for the club champs and then have a matchplay champ.

LeftyHoges
10th November 2015, 05:29 PM
Get them to change it. 4 rounds of stroke for the club champs and then have a matchplay champ.

That was the discussion after this year. Will be interesting to see if anything becomes of it.

3Puttpete
10th November 2015, 05:32 PM

That's what we do. Club champs 4 x stroke rounds. Mid year matchplay is 2 x stroke rounds, top 8 gross in each grade play matchplay

Gammon
10th November 2015, 06:24 PM
I think our Club champ (who is in high school) was 8 under after 3 rounds. Shot 4 over last round but was still enough.

Jazz18
10th November 2015, 07:01 PM
That's what we do. Club champs 4 x stroke rounds. Mid year matchplay is 2 x stroke rounds, top 8 gross in each grade play matchplay

We do something similar. 4 stroke rounds for club champs and separate match play with one round of qualy for top 8.

Hatchman
11th November 2015, 12:06 AM
Over the various clubs I've been a member at over the years I played in the following formats:
2 rounds of 18 holes stroke Sat-Sun. Top 8 qualify for match play all done and dusted over Sat-Sun the following week.
2 rounds over 2 Saturdays. Top 8 qualify for match play with only one match each Saturday until finished.
2 rounds over 2 Saturdays. Top 4 qualify for 36 holes stroke play on the Sunday with the qualifying rounds not counting onto the score. All other grades only play 18 on the Sunday.
2 rounds over 2 Saturdays. Top 4 qualify for 36 holes stroke play on the Sunday with qualifying scores counting this time. All other grades played 18 still.
4 stroke rounds over 4 Saturdays.
4 stroke rounds over 4 Saturdays with top 4 playing in same group in last round.

I've had success in 3 of those formats.
I believe the 4 stroke round format is the best but also a strong advocate for having a Matchplay Championship game in the season as well.
One of the clubs I was at had the Club Championship (4 round stroke) and Winter Shield was straight out Match play after qualifying in Monthly Medal. There was always big competition to get the double with 5 of us around the same standard.

AndyP
11th November 2015, 12:47 AM
Our format is 4 Saturday rounds for the club championship. However, 8 qualify for the Matchplay Championship from your gross score from round 3 and 4 of those club champs.

As for the score that wins, I'm not sure, but it is the same guy that wins nearly every year in both the club and matchplay champs.

Courty
11th November 2015, 02:35 PM
Ours is 4 rounds of stroke (the makeup tends to vary), with the lowest gross being crowned club champ. The top 16 gross scores from each grade go into a knockout Matchplay with a separate title (Matchplay Champion) of which I am a recipient [emoji41]

GuyIncognito
11th November 2015, 06:41 PM
Ours is just 4 rounds of strokeplay.

This year I believe +15 won it, shot by a 2 marker.

3Puttpete
11th November 2015, 07:33 PM
Ours is 4 rounds of stroke (the makeup tends to vary), with the lowest gross being crowned club champ. The top 16 gross scores from each grade go into a knockout Matchplay with a separate title (Matchplay Champion) of which I am a recipient [emoji41]

Recently or did we already know this?

Bitter
11th November 2015, 08:54 PM
Ours was won this year at +8 for the 4 rounds by an 18 year old. Giant kid though that hits it about 3k off the tee.

Top 8 Scratch scores in each grade go into the match play championship.

Courty
11th November 2015, 09:52 PM
Recently or did we already know this? Nah, it was 2004 I think. Back when I could play... and was in B Grade. :mrgreen:

Timbo
12th November 2015, 08:49 AM
In the last few years ours is usually won by a score around 6-10 over after 3 stroke rounds. Prior to that one bloke won it 19 times in the previous 20 years, usually with a score around par. He played off a handicap between scratch & +3 and for the last 5 or so years he wasn't really playing. He would put in 5 cards in the weeks leading up to the Club Champs to make sure he qualified, then he would come out and blow everybody away. He left town a few years ago. What a bastard......

3Puttpete
12th November 2015, 09:24 AM
-1 over 4 stroke rounds

Daves
12th November 2015, 09:41 AM
The "interest" this year at our club, wasn't in the best gross score overall, but on the C Grade winner, who would have finished in the top 20 in A grade Gross, and would have won B Grade gross by 4 shots! He won C grade gross by 16 shots! I was bemused to hear one of our committee members compare him to another well known Qld Bushranger, and Ozgolfer!

Captain Nemo
12th November 2015, 12:40 PM
I think our Club champ (who is in high school) was 8 under after 3 rounds. Shot 4 over last round but was still enough.
Your a touch wrong Twinkles.
He finished school last year.
Is off +2 or better.
Went -4, -4, even, +4
Won by the length of Flemington straight, and rightly so as all he's done this year was play golf....don't even think he's helped his old man in the pro shop for a day!

Captain Nemo
15th November 2015, 04:35 PM
Your a touch wrong Twinkles.
He finished school last year.
Is off +2 or better.
Went -4, -4, even, +4
Won by the length of Flemington straight, and rightly so as all he's done this year was play golf....don't even think he's helped his old man in the pro shop for a day!

Side note...
He just finished tied 77th at the NSW Open on -1 (missed cut).
Not bad for an amateur......