PDA

View Full Version : is any 1 player really worth $1.2 million a season ?

Jarro
23rd April 2006, 09:33 AM
i mean, c'mon ... he's only a rah rah player .... albeit a very good one.

I just think we can't afford to be paying players that much cabbage when somewhere along the line the grassroots level suffers.

AndyP
23rd April 2006, 09:43 AM
I hope other people know what you are talking about, because I've got no idea.

Jarro
23rd April 2006, 09:45 AM
i'm sure there are plenty of others that will know exactly what i'm talking about

Fishman Dan
23rd April 2006, 09:47 AM
I heard 'a mining company' has chipped in big bux to lure him over there. I think the Force needed to come up with something, because it would be hard to lure players to WA for several seasons at a time.

Just ask the South's management about the troubles of luring high profile players ;)

Jarro
23rd April 2006, 10:05 AM
i've read that the ARU/Force contribution is $700,000 per annum, the rest will be made up by private enterprise.

loads of dosh for a 23 year old.

Moe Norman
23rd April 2006, 11:01 AM
I just think we can't afford to be paying players that much cabbage when somewhere along the line the grassroots level suffers. I think the very fact that he's heading west will do wonders for grassroots Rugby over there. Much like recruiting Wendel raised the profile of the sport, but dropped the standard ;)

PRC
23rd April 2006, 02:41 PM
Does it even put him in the top 20 paid Aussie sportsmen? What does Andrew Bogut get for 8 points and 9 rebounds a game?

Jarro
23rd April 2006, 03:09 PM
Well, Bogut is playing in the USA where astronomical pay-packets are commonplace.

over here it's a little different due to our much smaller population.

I just find $1.2million per annum for a Rugby player is a bit stupid really :???:

Fishman Dan
23rd April 2006, 03:55 PM
I think the very fact that he's heading west will do wonders for grassroots Rugby over there. Much like recruiting Wendel raised the profile of the sport, but dropped the standard ;)

Until he came to his senses... and Sydney. Quality player in a quality team ;)

Did you see SportsWorld this morning? Lauren Jackson, arguably the worlds best female basketball player in the worlds toughest comp, earns $120k per year! :shock: Shaq earns $20m.

Moe Norman
23rd April 2006, 04:43 PM
she earns way more than that, someone is meesing with some figures.

Fishman Dan
23rd April 2006, 06:09 PM
Thommo - salary caps in the WNBA are $700k per year.. for the *entire team*

Moe Norman
23rd April 2006, 08:22 PM
endorsements?

Fishman Dan
23rd April 2006, 09:23 PM
Not sure about that. I don't think that's a major factor though - would you drink the Gatorade that Lauren Jackson drinks, or the Gatorade Kobe Bryant drinks?

Lauren who?

Unless you're talking about womens hygiene products, and i don't think there's a lot to be made there in endorsements either..

The other thing is Jarro, he's not really a "very good" Rah Rah player yet either. He's got talent, but there's no proof he's the next Farr Jones, Ella or Gregan.

Moe Norman
23rd April 2006, 09:43 PM
She's one of the biggest names in Womens basketball. Considering Serena and Venus were on deals worth $50mil + I'm guessing Jackson would be at least earning $5 mil.

That house of hers in Albury suggests she is.

Fishman Dan
23rd April 2006, 10:00 PM
We're talking Albury... it's no Miami, Florida!

People around there make Tasmanian's look like Rhodes Scholars.

McMw
24th April 2006, 07:23 AM
Schuey is being offered (reportedly) 60Million Pounds for the next 2 years by Ferrari... best job by far!!! :mrgreen:

Fishman Dan
24th April 2006, 07:28 AM
Mau - except for the expectation from billions of Italians to win.... or else!

Courty
24th April 2006, 08:02 AM
is any 1 player really worth $1.2 million a season?

Not in Australian sport... that said, prices are rising all the time, and it was going to happen sooner or later. I thought it would be more of genuine superstar though.

I would be interested to see what the highest paypacket is in all of the Super 14 teams. I doubt the Kiwi's would have anyone higher, but what about Seth Efrica?

The Lauren Jackson thing is correct, Moe. Her contract with her WNBA team is around the $120k (AUD) per season. That said, the seaon is only 6 months, so she can supplement her earnings by playing WNBL. She also earns match payments for representing the Opals. I'm sure she is getting some endorsements, but they are more likely to be in the US of A where she is the star player in their league.

jimandr
24th April 2006, 08:35 PM
It always amazes me when a payment barrier in sport isn't just broken, but smashed. Are we to believe there was an underbidder offering $1.1 million per year, or that Giteau's manager knocked back a similar amount and said 'cough up some more'?

No other Union player is getting half that amount.

I follow US Baseball quite closely. They don't have any type of salary cap. 10 years ago San Francisco paid Barry Bonds $10m a year for six years, which was 20% more than the next salary. Two years later, Bonds wasn't in the top 10 salary earners, and the deal was considered one of the best ever signed by a club.

The same may happen here. Mark Gasnier will be laughing, because the Waratahs will now be expected to go close to matching that amount. If they offer it, he'll accept it, and the 'Tahs will regret it. He's good, but he's not worth the risk to Union.

It is not good for the game, only for a few elite players.

The Hat
24th April 2006, 09:28 PM
The shuey will be going to Renault next year (if he continues to race ) Alonso will be going to Williams.

Moe Norman
24th April 2006, 10:12 PM
but smashed. Are we to believe there was an underbidder offering $1.1 million per year, or that Giteau's manager knocked back a similar amount and said 'cough up some more'?

No other Union player is getting half that amount. I have it on good authority that his actual Rugby contract is worth $650k. With $350k guaranteed off field earnings with 'potential' for more.

Union players abroad are making more than that, far more. Cau Cau is earning that from playing contracts alone, his Nike deal would probably be the same again.

Gregan would easily earn more than $1million a year through various channels and Nathan Sharpe was lured to the force only last year for $700k playing contract which is more than Giteau.

I'd also suggest Larkham would be earning in the vicinity of $1mil as would George Smith, Lote and unfortunately Wendel would be right up there as well.

Fishman Dan
25th April 2006, 07:57 AM
Thommo - not sure about Lote and Wendell. Are you talking about their multi year deal, or annual contract? If all of these players are earning 7 figures per year there wouldn't be such a blow-up about Giteau.

Jim - the Tahs have already said they aren't going to pay Gasnier a stupid amount.

McMw
25th April 2006, 08:52 AM
The shuey will be going to Renault next year (if he continues to race ) Alonso will be going to Williams.

Alonso to Williams - that's in ink already...

Schuey to Renault - speculation...

Raikkonen to Ferrari - speculation...

Moe Norman
25th April 2006, 08:57 AM
If all of these players are earning 7 figures per year there wouldn't be such a blow-up about Giteau. the blowup isn't the figure, but how they came to the figure. There is a 'gentlemens' agreement that 3rd party payments should not be part of the package offered by the franchise, and the force have openly ignored this.

Giteau's rugby contract is worth $650k, less than the captain he plays under now and less than the captain of his new team. However, they packaged it up under a contract from the force to include 3rd party payments. This is what the blowup is about.

Who knows how much Gregan earns? I'm certain it would be more than $1mil, its just that most of it isn't governed by his contract with the Brumbies/ARU while Git's off field earnings have been guaranteed by the force and written into his contract.

Fishman Dan
25th April 2006, 09:01 AM
Gregan also has a very profitable business in the centre of Sydney. Would his 'earnings' reflect this?

The reason for the blow-up with the 3rd party is that the Super 14's has no salary cap. Therefore outside payments are allowed. This is much the same as the Roosters paying NRL players wives 6-figures as beauty consultants or radio weather cameo's to rort the salary cap.

Courty
25th April 2006, 09:07 AM
This is much the same as the Roosters paying NRL players wives 6-figures as beauty consultants or radio weather cameo's to rort the salary cap.

Really?! :shock:

Fishman Dan
25th April 2006, 09:10 AM
Perhaps a bit of artistic license there ;), but there was a similar rort in the early days of salary caps.

But you can't tell me the Roosters can feasibly have that line-up and not be doing something dodgy..

Courty
25th April 2006, 09:16 AM
Perhaps a bit of artistic license there ;), but there was a similar rort in the early days of salary caps.

But you can't tell me the Roosters can feasibly have that line-up and not be doing something dodgy..

No that it's helping their on-field performances much this season. :roll:

mike
25th April 2006, 10:44 PM

In the early 90's it was reported Bradley Clyde's missus was paid $200 000 to clean the Queanbeyan Leagues Club and never had to pick up a mop all year.

Fishman Dan
26th April 2006, 06:45 AM
It was probably just a very, very clean club that never required tidying up?

Moe Norman
26th April 2006, 06:51 AM
she had an incentive based contract and got a $50k bonus for keeping it so clean.

jimandr
26th April 2006, 10:09 PM
Moe and Fish,

Assuming your info is correct, then I stand corrected. I knew about a few of the overseas contracts, but I wouldn't have thought any Australian players would be on more than half a mill.

It just goes to show that if you give a sporting team manager a pot of money, it will not be spent wisely.

Which begs a question that is related. Which players in a Union team should be getting the really big money?

I have a real problem with the wingers pulling in the bucks. They are rarely undisputed matchwinners, but can sometimes be blamed for losses. I understand Lote and Wendell have slightly different circumstances as League converts who 'allegedly' pull in some extra crowd numbers, but I still just don't see it. I have the same problem with Gasnier, or any centre for that matter. In some forward slogs on wet grounds, the centres rarely see the ball, so they aren't going to win the match for you. Even on a dry day, the centre is very dependent on other members of the backline.

In a totally different way, I don't see the value in big money for forwards, unless they have a John Eales style of influence on the game. They are better off developing a strong pack spirit by paying them all a similar rate.

I can, on the other hand, see some value in halfbacks, five eighths and perhaps fullbacks. They can be matchwinners, and certainly influence a game, either through good play or bad play. A really good goalkicker might be as valuable as anybody.

Fishman Dan
26th April 2006, 10:20 PM
Jim, you didn't mention "Media profile". If a player is a hack on the field (perhaps a little harsh) but can conduct himself OFF the field, then the bucks will continue to roll in.

Bulldogs players need not apply.

Good wingers in union are a premium. Lomu, Campese, some of the wingers in the super 14's earn their keep (not going to even attempt their names), throw in Wendell and Lote who can bust it up the middle as well. Mortlock began on the wing for Australia, Tune.. the list goes on.

Jarro
12th January 2007, 08:56 PM
sorta pales into insignificance when you read about Becks new contract to play soccer in the USA :shock:

Fishman Dan
12th January 2007, 10:27 PM
Just as Becks paled into insignificance in a team of superheros. He did the smart thing - cashed in his chips and moved on!

BrisWesty
13th January 2007, 06:46 AM
Utter waste of money.

Jarro
13th January 2007, 07:12 AM
Just as Becks paled into insignificance in a team of superheros. He did the smart thing - cashed in his chips and moved on!

But he didn't move for the money did he ;)

goughy
13th January 2007, 07:44 AM
He moved so posh can start a movie career with best friend's katie and tom. He probably figures that his 300mil will be a drop in the ocean compared to her earnings potential in Hollywood:smt119:roll:

Courty
13th January 2007, 09:04 AM
Ha. Who wants to watch Anorexic Spice in a movie? The same people who wanted to buy her solo album I would be guessing: not many.
Will Posh & Becks become the next high profile Scientologists?

BrisWesty
13th January 2007, 10:06 AM
Will Posh & Becks become the next high profile Scientologists?

Could be Courty; lots of money, lots of celebrity profile - Scientology seems to love those requirements. But most importantly, it would probably only take a damp face washer to brain wash those two. ;-)

Moe Norman
13th January 2007, 12:04 PM
why is scientology any more of a brainwash than christianity?

they're all religion and they all cause trouble.

just
13th January 2007, 12:40 PM
why is scientology any more of a brainwash than christianity?

they're all religion and they all cause trouble.

Amen, brother !!!!!!:smt044

AndyP
13th January 2007, 01:23 PM
A religious debate in a soccer thread. Cool! I'll get the popcorn.

Moe Norman
13th January 2007, 01:48 PM
isn't this a rugby thread?

marcel
13th January 2007, 01:52 PM

not like this place to get off topic.

Headline in today's Oz says Becks getting $1.57 per sec

Fishman Dan
14th January 2007, 07:16 AM

AP gets upset when you start a new topic about something that resembles a previous discussion. He goes all Rainman-like and mumbles something about using a 'Search' function. Never heard of it myself.