PDA

View Full Version : Moore Park

pt73
2nd November 2015, 05:29 PM
Greenies want it turned into a 9 holer.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/twenty20-golf-proposed-in-new-plan-for-150year-old-moore-park-20151102-gkossf.html

Captain Nemo
2nd November 2015, 05:33 PM
Just like our course, and talk of eastlakes.
I reckon it will happen down the track....

Jazz18
2nd November 2015, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately golf is a sport in decline so greenies and idiots in Government are always going to look at doing things like this. I don't understand why they are worried about out door areas and parklands in this area. If people are going to live that close to the city in apartments, it hardly seems like they are prioritising an out door lifestyle and if they are, surely they realise they might need to travel some to do that.

Kaniss
2nd November 2015, 11:05 PM
"The course could be trimmed to accomodate a new walking track" whats the facination with ****en walking tracks these days? Same thing is going to happen at New Brighton Golf Course, they will lose a terrific hole along the Georges river edge to a walking track so these green scrubbers with sandals on can feel warm and fuzzy inside. Rediculous.

pt73
3rd November 2015, 09:09 AM
Didn't National Parks put a walking track through NSW GC that forced the club to move the 6th green ?

Great idea, let people walk through a golf course so they can potentially get hit by a golf ball, the club's insurance company would love that.

wazandnic
3rd November 2015, 12:17 PM
The article at Moore Park talks of an additional short hole golf course, not removing the current one. It mentions that the current course is the biggest money earner for the Centennial park trust so can;t see them losing that. Just trying to get a bit more from a short course option.

Captain, thought I read something recently saying Kogarah was only going to be cut to 9 holes for the construction works period then return to a modified 18 holer?

Bruce Dickinson
3rd November 2015, 12:56 PM
It's a consultation process with the aim of setting a long tem management plan for the whole facility . The golf course is working on plans to improve the financial return to the trust

http://www.centennialparklands.com.au/about/parklands_projects/moore_park_future/_nocache

Stage One: Development of the 7 Big Ideas
(January 2015 - October 2015)Stage Two: Stakeholder feedback
(October 2015 - December 2015)
Stage Three: Reviewing and analysing feedback
(January 2016 - February 2016)
Stage Four: Drafting a strategic document informed by feedback
(March 2016 - April 2016)
Stage Five: Public exhibition of draft strategic document
(May 2016 - June 2016)
Stage Six: Review, Submission and Endorsement
(July 2016 - August 2016)

Coldtopper
3rd November 2015, 01:28 PM
The sooner this great green space is turned into park land for all user groups to enjoy the better imo! Its a crap course and like many others should fold for the betterment to the health of all Sydney siders!

wazandnic
3rd November 2015, 01:35 PM
Interested to know why it is a crap course?? Many worse in Sydney IMO.

Captain Nemo
3rd November 2015, 02:15 PM
Interested to know why it is a crap course?? Many worse in Sydney IMO.
Many, many way worse.....

Captain Nemo
3rd November 2015, 02:17 PM
The article at Moore Park talks of an additional short hole golf course, not removing the current one. It mentions that the current course is the biggest money earner for the Centennial park trust so can;t see them losing that. Just trying to get a bit more from a short course option.

Captain, thought I read something recently saying Kogarah was only going to be cut to 9 holes for the construction works period then return to a modified 18 holer?

Posssibly, we had good news recently that the nsw govt is backing the new course proposal and is going thru council soon, fingers crossed...

Coldtopper
3rd November 2015, 02:17 PM
Any course that should be used for better purposes. Never have or we never will see a decent club fold, move, shorten, sell off, merge and that's a way to define a crap course. Golf is in decline and the more that these crap courses try and fight the imminent closure the sooner it will happen as they try and re invent the wheel. The Trust / boards don't give care about golfers and neither should they when there is so many better uses of green space.

WBennett
3rd November 2015, 02:25 PM
Isn't Moore Park the busiest course in Australia for number of rounds played?

If they close Moore Park GC, i predict it would be less than 2 years until the developers get their grotty hands on it and turn it into even more apartments.

Leave it as is - there are very few other public courses that close to the city.

wazandnic
3rd November 2015, 02:27 PM
Don't think you have read the article though CT...

"The Trust makes a significant proportion of its annual income from the golf club at Moore Park, and wants to find a way to maximise that revenue.
"We are looking at some ideas about how we might be able to create other activities in that area which will support the recreational requirements of the 40,000 people moving into Green Square over the next few years," Mr Ellis said.
But Moore Park Golf Course would remain an 18-hole facility"

I don't think you will see it folding anytime soon.

Coldtopper
3rd November 2015, 02:48 PM
Don't think you have read the article though CT...

"The Trust makes a significant proportion of its annual income from the golf club at Moore Park, and wants to find a way to maximise that revenue.
"We are looking at some ideas about how we might be able to create other activities in that area which will support the recreational requirements of the 40,000 people moving into Green Square over the next few years," Mr Ellis said.
But Moore Park Golf Course would remain an 18-hole facility"

I don't think you will see it folding anytime soon. Must be reading a different article! He states the course will remain (no time) is a clear indication and a quick look at the Trust members and its objectives will spell out the end of the course. Why not a bad thing IMO. The 40 hectares would make a great park for all to enjoy.

Bruce Dickinson
3rd November 2015, 03:59 PM
The sooner this great green space is turned into park land for all user groups to enjoy the better imo! Its a crap course and like many others should fold for the betterment to the health of all Sydney siders!
from their website, plenty of open space for the public

Moore Park comprises 146 hectares of which 115 hectares are open space.

Bruce Dickinson
3rd November 2015, 04:00 PM
Isn't Moore Park the busiest course in Australia for number of rounds played?

If they close Moore Park GC, i predict it would be less than 2 years until the developers get their grotty hands on it and turn it into even more apartments.

Leave it as is - there are very few other public courses that close to the city.
It's not the busiest but still a very busy and important public facility

Captain Nemo
3rd November 2015, 04:05 PM
I think when they talk "Moore Park" they are including a full size AFL ground and some soccer fields near Sydney Boys High, shit load of land.
Looking back now, I doubt it will close down fully, they have spent a shitload on the driving range, which stays open till midnight a few nights a week.

Captain Nemo
3rd November 2015, 04:16 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/3e9035e37d57502e84755a30607b3973.jpg

Bruce Dickinson
3rd November 2015, 04:21 PM
I think when they talk "Moore Park" they are including a full size AFL ground and some soccer fields near Sydney Boys High, shit load of land.
Looking back now, I doubt it will close down fully, they have spent a shitload on the driving range, which stays open till midnight a few nights a week.

Moore Park is one of three parks

http://www.centennialparklands.com.au/about/centennial_parklands

It's a revenue generator for the trust that helps pay for other activities, makes no sense to close

pt73
3rd November 2015, 04:26 PM
Great picture, so why can't the people who want access to green space use Centennial Park which is within walking distance.

Sorry I forgot that Greenies don't like golf courses ..........

Dotty
3rd November 2015, 05:38 PM
Great picture, so why can't the people who want access to green space use Centennial Park which is within walking distance.

If they are serious, then they would ban cars from Grand Drive and all the other roads within the park.

Oh wait. They don't like to have a long walk.

pt73
3rd November 2015, 06:55 PM
Yep, bicycles only and must wear hemp clothes as Lycra is person-made by evil multinational companies.

Icestorm959
3rd November 2015, 07:27 PM
I read it as they are looking at turning it into either half a golf course (9 holes) or to shorten the course to an 18 hole, speedy golf course where each hole is about 100 metres (in effect halving the golf course but still keeping it at 18 holes).

if either of these plans go ahead, its going to go down the shitter.

Coldtopper
3rd November 2015, 08:40 PM
Moore Park is one of three parks

http://www.centennialparklands.com.au/about/centennial_parklands

It's a revenue generator for the trust that helps pay for other activities, makes no sense to close Has the largest spend per acre to maintain than other facility under the Trust. Makes sene to close on pure business numbers. Public golf courses within urban boundaries are a waste of Crown land and should be used for the masses to recreate rather than the small percentage of a diminishing golfers.

tim_golfer2
3rd November 2015, 08:57 PM
Has the largest spend per acre to maintain than other facility under the Trust. Makes sene to close on pure business numbers. Public golf courses within urban boundaries are a waste of Crown land and should be used for the masses to recreate rather than the small percentage of a diminishing golfers.
Nearby Heffron Park has the Des Renford Aquatic Centre with a gym and multiple pools none of which my family (and probably many other families in the municipality) use. Same for the football fields & netball courts. But I wouldn't call them a waste of public land and advocate closing them down.

Grunt
3rd November 2015, 09:20 PM
I grew up using Heffron, from League in the Matraville corner, Union in the opposite corner near Maroubra, Swimming squad at Heffron Pool (before it was Des Renford) to chasing girl that played Netball. I gave it some good use.

LarryLong
3rd November 2015, 09:21 PM

Why does everybody hate Greenies? Golf courses on coveted urban land have far more to fear from right-wing capitalists with an interest in property development these days. Greenies are more likely to see golf courses in urban areas as the lesser of two evils and lobby for them to be retained in some form.

My read of the article was that the local member wants to trim it into a proper 9-hole course and the owners want to turn it into an 18 hole Mickey Mouse pitch and putt course. Sounds like a poor outcome for golfers either way, but I'd almost go along with the Greenie on this one if I had to choose.

tim_golfer2
3rd November 2015, 09:27 PM
I grew up using Heffron, from League in the Matraville corner, Union in the opposite corner near Maroubra, Swimming squad at Heffron Pool (before it was Des Renford) to chasing girl that played Netball. I gave it some good use.
Squad with Barry Rogers?

Grunt
3rd November 2015, 09:40 PM
Squad with Barry Rogers?

Yep

WBennett
4th November 2015, 07:39 AM
Why does everybody hate Greenies? Golf courses on coveted urban land have far more to fear from right-wing capitalists with an interest in property development these days. Greenies are more likely to see golf courses in urban areas as the lesser of two evils and lobby for them to be retained in some form.

My read of the article was that the local member wants to trim it into a proper 9-hole course and the owners want to turn it into an 18 hole Mickey Mouse pitch and putt course. Sounds like a poor outcome for golfers either way, but I'd almost go along with the Greenie on this one if I had to choose.

Exactly. The land is worth far 'more' to a developer to put another 10000 apartments on than as green space. What next, the SCG Carparks?

Where is that like button?

Bruce Dickinson
4th November 2015, 10:20 AM
Has the largest spend per acre to maintain than other facility under the Trust. Makes sene to close on pure business numbers. Public golf courses within urban boundaries are a waste of Crown land and should be used for the masses to recreate rather than the small percentage of a diminishing golfers.
Are you actually serious or just trolling?

Yossarian
4th November 2015, 12:46 PM

Probably because of Anne Summers.

Dotty
4th November 2015, 01:07 PM
Next the greenies will want to knock down the Opera House and extend the Botanic Gardens, because they never go to the opera.

pt73
4th November 2015, 01:21 PM
Next the greenies will want to knock down the Opera House and extend the Botanic Gardens, because they never go to the opera.
I doubt that as there won't be anywhere highly visible to hang their protest banners.

Coldtopper
4th November 2015, 02:56 PM
Are you actually serious or just trolling? Serious. There wouldn't be a public golf course owned by a trust or government in Australia that wouldn't be looking at the downturn in returns on golf courses. Public courses are a poor use of recreational space and more need to close to ensure the better courses remain viable.

Icestorm959
4th November 2015, 03:39 PM
Serious. There wouldn't be a public golf course owned by a trust or government in Australia that wouldn't be looking at the downturn in returns on golf courses. Public courses are a poor use of recreational space and more need to close to ensure the better courses remain viable.

Most public courses are struggling but I think Moore Park is the exception to the rule - they've increased green fees from about $35 (five years ago) to about $60 these days (roughly), while still being one of the busiest courses in Sydney, so I'd say their returns have been improving.

Coldtopper
4th November 2015, 04:05 PM
Most public courses are struggling but I think Moore Park is the exception to the rule - they've increased green fees from about $35 (five years ago) to about $60 these days (roughly), while still being one of the busiest courses in Sydney, so I'd say their returns have been improving.
The CPMPT have in their business plan spelt out "maintains the right of the public to use Trust lands" as a clear policy is a good a indicator that golf at CPMPT is nearing a close. This land is so under utilised as a golf course. This is not a greenie thing just good policy development by turning the course into more sustainable land for all to enjoy.

backintheswing
4th November 2015, 04:56 PM
They just need to find an endangered scrub Python or some similar reptile, and the greenies will jump on board and start hugging trees.

Bruce Dickinson
4th November 2015, 05:16 PM
Serious. There wouldn't be a public golf course owned by a trust or government in Australia that wouldn't be looking at the downturn in returns on golf courses. Public courses are a poor use of recreational space and more need to close to ensure the better courses remain viable.
That might be an east coast view of things but most public courses in Perth are profit making and host upwards of 100,000 visits per annum. Convert them to something else and the council probably faces a cost to maintain with no guarantee of any additional recreational visitors above the 100,000 plus using that were already using the area.

The only conversion likely to occur is courses rezoned and used for housing with the loss of green space for all

Coldtopper
4th November 2015, 05:41 PM
That might be an east coast view of things but most public courses in Perth are profit making and host upwards of 100,000 visits per annum. Convert them to something else and the council probably faces a cost to maintain with no guarantee of any additional recreational visitors above the 100,000 plus using that were already using the area.

The only conversion likely to occur is courses rezoned and used for housing with the loss of green space for all The Town of Cambridge Strategic Comminity Plan would be a good indicator that your little track will be a redevelopment site sooner than you think. Not that different from Moore Park if you look. The numbers in the ToC LTFP would also be alarming. Public green space for golf courses isn't sustainable as the community needs continue to develop.

Bruce Dickinson
4th November 2015, 06:26 PM
The Town of Cambridge Strategic Comminity Plan would be a good indicator that your little track will be a redevelopment site sooner than you think. Not that different from Moore Park if you look. The numbers in the ToC LTFP would also be alarming. Public green space for golf courses isn't sustainable as the community needs continue to develop.
Thanks for the heads up, perhaps you would like to tell them that before they finish the upgrade to hospitality buildings currently underway. Would be a dreadful waste of money to finish in June 2016 and then have houses on it a year later.

Please note that redevelopment would require rezoning under two different planning schemes and is a freehold site owned by the Town so it wont be happening as soon as you think.

Coldtopper
4th November 2015, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the heads up, perhaps you would like to tell them that before they finish the upgrade to hospitality buildings currently underway. Would be a dreadful waste of money to finish in June 2016 and then have houses on it a year later.

Please note that redevelopment would require rezoning under two different planning schemes and is a freehold site owned by the Town so it wont be happening as soon as you think.Are you talking about the same green space overlay! Anyway good luck hope your course survives the coming decade.

Yossarian
4th November 2015, 09:38 PM
I think we can safely say Coldtopper has very little idea.

hacker
4th November 2015, 10:24 PM
If crap public courses all go, where are the crap/beginning golfers supposed to go, should they happen to want to play golf? Wouldn't more crap golfers at good courses ruin the experience of the good golfers at the good courses? i.e You would have to play with shit golfers like me playing infront of you.

Bruce Dickinson
4th November 2015, 10:47 PM
Are you talking about the same green space overlay! Anyway good luck hope your course survives the coming decade.Thanks, reasonably confident we will survive another ten years.

Icestorm959
5th November 2015, 10:30 AM
If crap public courses all go, where are the crap/beginning golfers supposed to go, should they happen to want to play golf? Wouldn't more crap golfers at good courses ruin the experience of the good golfers at the good courses? i.e You would have to play with shit golfers like me playing infront of you.

Well if all the crap courses go there is still no issue with being crap. You just need to be a rich crap/beginning golfer. That's how it is working out for golf in the rest of Asia.

meh
5th November 2015, 10:42 AM
I think we can safely say Coldtopper has very little idea.

This is not new.

Kaniss
5th November 2015, 10:54 AM
They just need to find an endangered scrub Python or some similar reptile, and the greenies will jump on board and start hugging trees.

Bingo!. We had a job like that the greenies at Leichardt Council ran the builder to the ground because some endangered mouse or some shit lived on that land he owned. Never seen such bullshit in my whole life.

LarryLong
5th November 2015, 10:56 AM
Just a gentle reminder to stay on topic and avoid sniping from the sidelines.

Peace and love, people.

3oneday
5th November 2015, 11:04 AM
Noone goes outside anyway, they're all on their ipods, iphones etc.

Plenty of green space in Sydney, it's probably just wanting to extend from the showground precinct that every rich prick in Sydney has shares in.

If they want grass, drive to Randwick racecourse and walk around with the horsies :)

Jazz18
5th November 2015, 04:29 PM
Noone goes outside anyway, they're all on their ipods, iphones etc.

Plenty of green space in Sydney, it's probably just wanting to extend from the showground precinct that every rich prick in Sydney has shares in.

If they want grass, drive to Randwick racecourse and walk around with the horsies :)

Spot on Pete. The silliest thing is they don't even have to go that far. Centennial park is even closer!