PDA

View Full Version : Thick putter grips

Johnno
1st November 2015, 04:54 PM
Looking at maybe splashing out for a new putter. Just after thoughts on the thick superstroke grips.

Have hit a few in shops and they feel a bit odd, though still seemed to roll them ok. Are they improvement once you get used to the size?

benno_r
1st November 2015, 04:58 PM
half will say the rock, half will say they suck.

Flatso 3.0 is my fave.

thecollective
1st November 2015, 05:04 PM
Johnno: I agree with Benno; I have one on my Bobby Grace and its ok, but I have found the perfect Winn jumbo grip that IMO feels better and is marginally cheaper

Best way to find out is to spend some cash on one and test it out - not a bad gamble at $40

TC

Hatchman
1st November 2015, 06:36 PM
I've been on the thick grip train since the mid 90's, way before they became popular.
Picked up a putter in a golf shop that had one as a giggle and it felt way better in the hands than the usual size. My hands sat naturally where I wanted and didn't feel I had to manipulate them into position like I was with standard size. Had my own re-gripped then and there and haven't looked back. Found it helped quiet the hands on the stroke as I was previously prone to the odd yip.
They don't make the grip in question anymore but the thick one I had put on my SeeMore Si3 is very similar.

davidw88
1st November 2015, 06:39 PM
I like them but not over mid slim in the super stroke, they feel to big otherwise.

freddy a
1st November 2015, 06:41 PM
Super stroke 3.0 slim for me, I find im less wristy with these grips.

Johnno
1st November 2015, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the advice. Shops seem to only have the real thick ones or thin so may have to purchase a thin and swap it if I want in the middle.
Feel like the thick would help with short putts, which I can struggle with, though also feel it could make long range harder.

Hutchy
1st November 2015, 07:57 PM
I have a new used 2.0 mid size, by that I mean fitted and not used other than few rolls indoors.

$10 plus post about $8

mrbluu
1st November 2015, 08:25 PM
Looking at maybe splashing out for a new putter. Just after thoughts on the thick superstroke grips.

Have hit a few in shops and they feel a bit odd, though still seemed to roll them ok. Are they improvement once you get used to the size?
I hate them. I like to feel the putter head release when I'm putting and for me fat grips mask this.

Hutchy
1st November 2015, 08:35 PM
I hate them. I like to feel the putter head release when I'm putting and for me fat grips mask this.

+1....First time I tried on of these recently. Good if it helps but if you go alright with STD grip feel is way better.

timah!
1st November 2015, 08:47 PM

Yep, here too. Trialled a few, back to standard gripmasters.

Johnny Canuck
1st November 2015, 08:47 PM
Flatso 2.0 is the go.

Johnno
1st November 2015, 09:04 PM
I might try and see if I can try a few sizes plus putter styles before actually making a call on getting something. Cheers again

Scifisicko
2nd November 2015, 09:13 AM
Used for a year or two. Putting went backwards. Back to standard.

3oneday
2nd November 2015, 12:26 PM
I use "The Claw", love it.

mrbluu
2nd November 2015, 12:28 PM
I use "The Claw", love it.
This claw???

https://youtu.be/jVF-ugA2Atk

Anfield
2nd November 2015, 04:02 PM
I've got 2 gripmaster mid and a gripmaster featherlight grip going pretty cheap if you wanna try them
Also got an iomic mid in blue
All in very good condition