PDA

View Full Version : gps golf watch

topspark
23rd October 2015, 06:33 AM
has anyone done a little research on gps golf watches, and if so, the thinnest available and accuracy / performance?

jocker
23rd October 2015, 09:36 AM
has anyone done a little research on gps golf watches, and if so, the thinnest available and accuracy / performance?

I would be very interested in comments on this also. If this is not hijacking, the top end garmin has the directional arrow thing when you are unsighted. Does this work?

AlexMc
23rd October 2015, 09:27 PM
If you are going the thinnest, avoid the Garmin vivoActive. It was terrible. Ended up getting s refund and getting a TomTom Golfer instead.

topspark
24th October 2015, 07:05 AM
If you are going the thinnest, avoid the Garmin vivoActive. It was terrible. Ended up getting s refund and getting a TomTom Golfer instead. how have you found the tom-tom?
does its bulk effect the swing, and is the accuracy as good as the bigger units?

awhc
24th October 2015, 10:19 AM
I have Bushnell Neo XS and it is pretty comfortable. Don't notice it on the wrist when I am playing.

Panda
24th October 2015, 10:20 AM
I would be very interested in comments on this also. If this is not hijacking, the top end garmin has the directional arrow thing when you are unsighted. Does this work?You talking about the S6? I own one of those

jocker
24th October 2015, 10:33 AM
You talking about the S6? I own one of thoseYep, is it worth the $$$?

Panda
24th October 2015, 10:48 AM
I bought one of eBay when they had the 15%? site-wide sale. This was my first gps anything for golf so my feedback may not be too reliable.

The directional arrow works....if the course you're at isn't under some sort of construction. Makes sense considering the maps wouldn't have been updated. Light weight and doesn't hinder play. First watch I ever used on a course. Easy to use once you play around with it a couple times on the course (which can be hard on a busy Sat). The manual that comes with it is absolutely useless. I find the battery last a bit shorter then it states. 1 round with gps on and 2.5days without (normal watch mode). I keep the Bluetooth on full time for both occasions though.

All in all I bought it mainly as a black coloured watch. The gps function was just something I wanted to try as a bonus. Turns out I'm not much of a gps guy which is why I'll be going back to a rangefinder. $300-350 range seems more appropriate. Anything else you want to know?

Archi
24th October 2015, 11:39 AM
My kids bought me an S6 for my 50th
used it twice , found it to be too big and restrictive on the course ( i don't normally wear a watch )
plus it seemed really fiddly to me - maybe just my big fingers but
It wouldn't re-charge after the 2nd outing - took it back to Golfbox - Garmin replaced it immediately
but Golfbox happily let me have the credit instead which is now financing a set of MP25's !!

crayon
24th October 2015, 01:44 PM
I had a tomtom golf gps for about 1month. It was definitely very convenient to be able to see accurate yardages in real time. I believe HOG is selling these for $249 only? One problem I encountered was the software I downloaded from their website did not work for me.
I ended up selling this because I felt I was getting as accurate yardage with golfshot app and I had a bushnell rf as well

topspark
24th October 2015, 03:31 PM
I have asked before, but has anyone any thoughts on the apple watch and the golf apps?

AlexMc
24th October 2015, 07:36 PM
I have an Apple Watch - the golf gps apps aren't up to it yet. Tried it once, waiting to see what else comes out.

The TomTom watch is pretty good. The size doesn't really bother me at all. Uses the same mapping as Garmin.

awhc
24th October 2015, 07:43 PM
I think if you were to get a watch better get one with hazards. Golf Buddy WT5 looks features loaded.

LarryLong
24th October 2015, 08:01 PM
I've used a golf watch for a few years now, and wouldn't go back. I use an old motorola motoactv that was discontinued a few years ago. I love it and although it's a bit bulky I don't find it hinders my swing, and generally it seems accurate enough. Mine is starting to become unreliable and there's a spot on the screen that has burnt out, so it's due for a replacement soon. I'm still hanging out for one that will do running and golf, and I'm not really that worried about advanced features. I was starting to take an interest in the vivoactive - I think it's worth looking for something that covers more than one activity.

I found this article worth reading - http://www.wareable.com/golf/best-golf-wearables-gps-watches-and-swing-analysers

awhc
24th October 2015, 08:25 PM
I had the Vivoactive and sold it within a week. It could only show the distance to the pin and dogleg. I think the layup yardage is not a good feature, considering you can just do the maths in your head. Also you have to upload the course onto the Vivoactive from the phone every time, the latest update did allow the watch to recall the last course you played on.

But on the plus side it did have multiple sport and also could be used as a daily smart watch.

goughy
24th October 2015, 08:29 PM
A few people over at the garmin forums are asking for them to include some of the golf features in the Fenix 3 multisport watch. I don't think they will, but can always hope.

topspark
24th October 2015, 09:37 PM
I have an Apple Watch - the golf gps apps aren't up to it yet. Tried it once, waiting to see what else comes out.

The TomTom watch is pretty good. The size doesn't really bother me at all. Uses the same mapping as Garmin.how much bigger is the tom compared to the apple?

topspark
24th October 2015, 09:37 PM
I've used a golf watch for a few years now, and wouldn't go back. I use an old motorola motoactv that was discontinued a few years ago. I love it and although it's a bit bulky I don't find it hinders my swing, and generally it seems accurate enough. Mine is starting to become unreliable and there's a spot on the screen that has burnt out, so it's due for a replacement soon. I'm still hanging out for one that will do running and golf, and I'm not really that worried about advanced features. I was starting to take an interest in the vivoactive - I think it's worth looking for something that covers more than one activity.

I found this article worth reading - http://www.wareable.com/golf/best-golf-wearables-gps-watches-and-swing-analysers interesting article, thanks

AlexMc
25th October 2015, 04:52 PM
how much bigger is the tom compared to the apple? A fair bit bigger, but not obstructive with the swing. Better battery life than any of the Garmins I've had previously too...

goughy
11th December 2015, 07:43 AM
I used my Pebble watch last time I played, with the freecaddie golf app. Only issue was that the course wasn't updated for some hole changes. But my Garmin Fenix 3 multisport watch has just had an update to include a golfing app with things like layup distances, F/C/B green, shot measuring etc. Stoked.

And Grunt, it's had rowing and stand up paddle boarding functions added too! Maybe time to ditch Suunto?

Timmyd
18th January 2016, 11:49 AM
Hey Goughy, sorry to reply to an old thread. Can I ask what the name is of the app you are using on your Garmin Fenix 3??

AlexMc
18th January 2016, 12:00 PM
I'd be interested in whether you can use the Fenix 3 for golf too. Brilliant watch - add golf to the mix and it would be even better!

LarryLong
18th January 2016, 12:05 PM
In other news, I ended up buying a vivoactive. On the golf side it's pretty basic, but if you only want distance to the pin and scoring history it is a good option. Nice and light on the wrist, tracks steps and does running stuff, and has oodles of battery life.

goughy
18th January 2016, 01:55 PM
Hey Goughy, sorry to reply to an old thread. Can I ask what the name is of the app you are using on your Garmin Fenix 3??

I'd be interested in whether you can use the Fenix 3 for golf too. Brilliant watch - add golf to the mix and it would be even better!

Guys, it now natively supports golf. The feature was added into the beta test firmwares I was using, and as of the latest update (fw 6.50) it is now officially supported. Golf just appears as an activity option like running and cycling etc does. You can pre download courses in the Garmin connect mobile app and then when you go to play it sends the course to the watch. It's not like the app on the Garmin watches, there's no images of anything.

You get meterages to front/centre/back, and can also display layup distances (100/150/200), can measure shot and currently the only stat it will record is your score. I'm hoping that will change as the feature list for the new Tactix watch (which shares the F3 firmware etc) advertises statistics recording too (greens, fairways, putts etc). It generally auto advances holes too.

AlexMc
18th January 2016, 11:20 PM
Cool. Can you download more than one course onto the watch? Dubbo actually comes up as 3 courses as it is 27 holes...

goughy
18th January 2016, 11:38 PM
You only download each course as you use it, and when the round is over its gone from it. But you can keep multiple courses on your phone.

Ok, I just had a look and I downloaded the 3 nines of Dubbo. Playing 18 you'd have to load the first nine, finish it, then load the next nine to finish the 18. At least from what I can see.

coalesce
18th January 2016, 11:45 PM
Game golf now supports Apple Watch, which makes me more interested in getting one...

AlexMc
18th January 2016, 11:49 PM
You only download each course as you use it, and when the round is over its gone from it. But you can keep multiple courses on your phone. Ok, I just had a look and I downloaded the 3 nines of Dubbo. Playing 18 you'd have to load the first nine, finish it, then load the next nine to finish the 18. At least from what I can see.No worries - like the vivoActive then. That worked fine while it worked, that just wasn't for very long. Probably going to get one. The TomTom is alright - I just want more from a watch I exercise with.

goughy
19th January 2016, 12:05 AM
There are a swag of new F3 models to hit the market. There's one with built in hrm, plus the new tactix. And an expensive as titanium model.

AlexMc
19th January 2016, 08:47 PM
Pulled the trigger on a Fenix 3 today. I miss the extra stuff that I get on my Apple Watch and I'll get that on the Fenix plus GPS capability.

coalesce
19th January 2016, 09:02 PM
Pulled the trigger on a Fenix 3 today. I miss the extra stuff that I get on my Apple Watch and I'll get that on the Fenix plus GPS capability.

What does an Apple Watch do that others don't and vice versa?

goughy
19th January 2016, 09:07 PM
It runs out of battery in one day..... ;)

coalesce
19th January 2016, 09:13 PM
Is that it?

goughy
19th January 2016, 09:19 PM
What they each do crosses paths, but they are different devices.

The garmins are really designed for active people who want to track that, and have some extra features. Gps and water proof.

Smart watches can do some of it when tethered to a phone. But that itself is a restriction. What they do better is being an extension of your phone. Even the geek in me doesn't need that that much.

What all the Smart watches seem to suffer with is battery life. Where as most of the fitness based devices are getting many days between charges. I flit between a pebble watch and F3 and am pretty much charging each once a week or less.

A Garmin (or suunto or polar) can't be an apple watch (or Android watch) but an apple watch can't touch the others in what they can do.

AlexMc
19th January 2016, 09:20 PM
Stuff like use it for running and cycling and other sports. On the course it can give notifications from your phone. The Apple Watch is great, but it is a terrible golf watch.