PDA

View Full Version : Playing SA courses and banging on with Peppas.

Ferrins
19th October 2015, 12:11 PM
Attending the champs soon and was wondering about the types of courses in Adelaide and surrounds. Are they sandbelt or what? Is there any particlar way to play them better.

Also feel free to banter with Peppas to your hearts content.

backintheswing
19th October 2015, 12:26 PM
I would perfect the hybrid stinger. I think bluu has one for sale [emoji3]

3Puttpete
19th October 2015, 12:41 PM
If you're not carrying and using a chipper you're not giving yourself a chance

thecollective
19th October 2015, 01:05 PM
Ferrins:

The courses we are playing that weekend vary. Here is a brief rundown to give you an idea of what to expect:

Tanunda Pines: Country Sandbelt track that opts for a parkland feel, lots of strategic trees, undulating course with generous fairways, severe sloped fast greens that are often multi-tiered, lots of false fronts and run-offs on green surrounds. Rough is severe in places. Bunkering is moderate. ground game here is very risky due to the severity of green slopes - aerial approach is often the recommendation as I have discovered over the years. Take the hybrid over long iron for sure

Victor Harbor: Parkland Tree Lined track, very tight fairways, short in length with soft mulch often used as rough. Quite flat in undulation. Greens are normally quite slow and flat with subtle breaks. Course is quite soft but green entries are flat and forgiving supporting the ground game well. Keep the ball straight and in-play and you will do well.

Gawler: Similar to Tanunda - very sandy with significant trees, very undulating in places, quirky design particularly with Par 3's. Supports ground game, greens are fast but probably not quite as severe as Tanunda. Back nine is extremely tight particularly in the main paddock. Keep the ball straight. Bunkers are moderate in difficulty.

RA: Links course, plays different every time I see it!, very small greens with often severe run-offs, supports position and ground game more than aerial approaches. Severe wind at times can cause havoc ala 1998 Open. Can play quite wide off the tee but Lots of intimidating tee shots. I find keeping the ball low and running is the key on this course. bunkers are quite severe due to shape

Kooey: Parkland Botanical Gardens on a bed of rolling sand dunes!!! Significant trees on undulating land, green and surrounds play softer in comparison to RA, supports a diverse range of approaches but probably more suited to the aerial game. Severe bunkering many cut right against the green as typical on a tier 1 course (playability condition is A1). Pretty tight off the tee but also generous on certain holes. You will get glimpses of the natural land in places (sand dunes, gorse bushes) but much of this is covered in pines. Conditioning and greens are A1 as you would expect.

Glenelg: This one is very hard to describe; Wetlands-sandbelt-parkland is the best I can do! Long and brutal, traditional soded wall bunkering with thick sand, brutal contouring around greens A1 conditioning as expected. Have not played it enough to know what type of game is best suited as I always score high on this track.

TC

Peppas
19th October 2015, 01:15 PM
All I read from that post

Tanunda Pines: Country Sandbelt track that opts for a parkland feel, lots of strategic trees, undulating course with generous fairways, severe sloped fast greens that are often multi-tiered, lots of false fronts and run-offs on green surrounds. Rough is severe in places. Bunkering is moderate. ground game here is very risky due to the severity of green slopes - aerial approach is often the recommendation as I have discovered over the years. Take the hybrid over long iron for sure

Victor Harbor: Parkland Tree Lined track, very tight fairways, short in length with soft mulch often used as rough. Quite flat in undulation. Greens are normally quite slow and flat with subtle breaks. Course is quite soft but green entries are flat and forgiving supporting the ground game well. Keep the ball straight and in-play and you will do well.

Gawler: Similar to Tanunda - very sandy with significant trees, very undulating in places, quirky design particularly with Par 3's. Supports ground game, greens are fast but probably not quite as severe as Tanunda. Back nine is extremely tight particularly in the main paddock. Keep the ball straight. Bunkers are moderate in difficulty.

RA: Links course, plays different every time I see it!, very small greens with often severe run-offs, supports position and ground game more than aerial approaches. Severe wind at times can cause havoc ala 1998 Open. Can play quite wide off the tee but Lots of intimidating tee shots. I find keeping the ball low and running is the key on this course. bunkers are quite severe due to shape

Kooey: Parkland Botanical Gardens on a bed of rolling sand dunes!!! Significant trees on undulating land, green and surrounds play softer in comparison to RA, supports a diverse range of approaches but probably more suited to the aerial game. Severe bunkering many cut right against the green as typical on a tier 1 course (playability condition is A1). Pretty tight off the tee but also generous on certain holes. You will get glimpses of the natural land in places (sand dunes, gorse bushes) but much of this is covered in pines. Conditioning and greens are A1 as you would expect.

Glenelg: This one is very hard to describe; Wetlands-sandbelt-parkland is the best I can do! Long and brutal, traditional soded wall bunkering with thick sand, brutal contouring around greens A1 conditioning as expected. Have not played it enough to know what type of game is best suited as I always score high on this track.

TREES TREES MORE ****ING TREES!

thecollective
19th October 2015, 01:25 PM
All I read from that post

TREES TREES MORE ****ING TREES!

Peppas: I see you have been reading your golf architecture book you won, good lad

TC

coalesce
19th October 2015, 01:28 PM
Peppas, he mentions bunkers too :(

Peppas
19th October 2015, 01:35 PM
Peppas: I see you have been reading your golf architecture book you won, good lad

TC

Ahh yes that has been on the coffee table for a year. Great reading :)

Peppas
19th October 2015, 01:35 PM

Yeah I'm screwed.

thecollective
19th October 2015, 01:37 PM

Not as severe as Grange East though Coalesce; bloody Norman!

TC

3Puttpete
19th October 2015, 01:46 PM
Yeah I'm screwed.

I read supports the ground game. You should get a chipper too

Peppas
19th October 2015, 01:50 PM
I read supports the ground game. You should get a chipper too

I got one

It's called an 8i

3Puttpete
19th October 2015, 01:57 PM
I got one

It's called an 8i

Fail.

The right tool for the right job.

Peppas
19th October 2015, 02:07 PM
Fail.

The right tool for the right job.

Well I'm stuffed then

thecollective
19th October 2015, 02:31 PM
Well I'm stuffed then

use your hybrid - works just as good as a chipper

3Puttpete
19th October 2015, 02:37 PM
Well I'm stuffed then

Don't sell yourself short. You're a right tool

Peppas
19th October 2015, 02:37 PM
use your hybrid - works just as good as a chipper

Don't have one, how about a 5 wood?

Peppas
19th October 2015, 02:39 PM
Don't sell yourself short. You're a right tool

Nah, left tool

thecollective
19th October 2015, 02:50 PM
Don't have one, how about a 5 wood?

that will do, Jason Day and Justin Rose use a 3 wood

TC

Peppas
19th October 2015, 02:59 PM
Attending the champs soon and was wondering about the types of courses in Adelaide and surrounds. Are they sandbelt or what? Is there any particlar way to play them better.

Also feel free to banter with Peppas to your hearts content.

Yeah go nuts fellas

jimandr
19th October 2015, 04:04 PM
Great write-up TC. It will be very interesting to see if the courses play as you have described.

I'd add for Royal Adelaide the tip that position off the tee and angle of approach into the greens can make a major difference to the difficulty or ease of approach. Which is exactly as it should be. Leave your drive close to the fairway bunkers, but not in them, for the best lines.

The other tip to note for Kooyonga and RA is that we are on bent greens, and if they are as good as they were last year, they will be as good as anything you have ever putted on.

As far as tips for bantering with Peppas is concerned, start him talking and agree with everything he says. Don't upset him!

Peppas
19th October 2015, 04:18 PM
Great write-up TC. It will be very interesting to see if the courses play as you have described.

I'd add for Royal Adelaide the tip that position off the tee and angle of approach into the greens can make a major difference to the difficulty or ease of approach. Which is exactly as it should be. Leave your drive close to the fairway bunkers, but not in them, for the best lines.

The other tip to note for Kooyonga and RA is that we are on bent greens, and if they are as good as they were last year, they will be as good as anything you have ever putted on.

As far as tips for bantering with Peppas is concerned, start him talking and agree with everything he says. Don't upset him!

Don't worry Jims, very little upsets me these days :)

thecollective
19th October 2015, 04:31 PM

J&R: I have given a basic overview (while eating my lunch) so its nothing special and mostly common knowledge. We have a wonderful array of courses in S.A and are very lucky as most are accommodating to visitors and offer frequent playing opportunities (open days, Golf S.A days etc.) without overcharging willing patrons like you get in Victoria and other states.

Its 4:49 here so I will chew up my last 11 minutes with a few more thoughts;

In terms of difficulty Glenelg is by far the hardest course I have ever played in S.A and very hard to put a description on when you are hacking your way through it. To others though they disagree and find the likes of RA and Kooey a sterner challenge - both of these suit my game so it comes down to you and your weaknesses more then strengths.

In terms of the flagship course RA I have always considered it under-rated but over the years too many course designers have touched too many aspects of it and as a result we are left with a design that is far different from the original Mackenzie / Rymill design. The part that I love though is the way it plays depending on the conditions of the day. The greens seem so small and bland but over time you understand how and why they are shaped and the best angle to approach is often the most awkward to get to.

Kooey is visually spectacular and for that reason makes it S.A's best course in many ppl's eyes (just ask Chilled), its strategy though is much clearer than RA and the angles and contours are well highlighted and less subtle. It is a ball-strikers course that rewards the big shots. The bunkering IMO is outstanding and my favourite to play out of in S.A.

Glenelg is so hard to comment on and I am yet to get my head around the design. In saying that though there are some fantastic holes. 12 is my personal favourite; a short Par 5 that is so much fun to play - the green has a similarity to that of #3 @ RA with a ridge that dissects the green vertically (rather than horizontal @ RA) - make sure you get it on the correct side otherwise you have a very tight chip shot off a bare lie.

Hope you all enjoy the trip.

TC

Ferrins
19th October 2015, 04:55 PM
I threw a racquet into one of the trees down there when I was playing juniors. Might be still there.😀

thecollective
19th October 2015, 06:02 PM
Lol Ferrins, I'm sure your parents were pleased, I didn't get past the fence when I was a junior

Hatchman
19th October 2015, 07:32 PM
I've played both Grange courses, Royal Adelaide and Kooyonga a lot more than I've played Glenelg. Having played all of them in the last 18 months I would say Glenelg has been the big improver over the years and I rate it over both Grange courses easily for quality.
As for difficulty I find both Grange courses a lot more difficult than Kooyonga, Royal Adelaide and Glenelg. Not sure why but The Grange courses just seem to tear my game a new one nearly every time I play either of them. One round under 80 (that was this year) in near on 20 rounds over the 2 courses combined easily makes it my nemesis course. I've posted a number of rounds in the 70s at both R.A and Kooyonga and don't seem to struggle to score the same as I do at Grange. I haven't played Glenelg as often as the others but know from experience it seems to be more of a strategic course. There are holes you can go after and there's holes you need to be a lot smarter on rather than just blazing away. My memory banks don't hold any nightmares like Grange but also no found memories of good/great rounds either.

Hatchman
19th October 2015, 08:16 PM
I've done the big 3 we play now it's time for the others.
I would say that Tanunda is one of those courses that can be polarising. Some will like and enjoy it or you'll hate it it. It's the greens that will give you that perception of the course. They are very challenging with the bumps, tiers and slope in them. They are not easy to read and it can be easy to have a horror day with the flat stick. Having said that the layout is very good with lots of variation in the holes. Local knowledge or having played there a fair bit would be a big advantage to scoring without battling.

I've played Gawler a lot over the years in its various layouts and changes. One thing that has remained consistent is I find if I don't drive the ball well there I don't score well. The greens are always good here and can get very quick. There's a couple of holes where if they are quick and you put it in the wrong spot, good luck not 3 jiggling it.

Last time I played Victor was about 15yrs ago and not too many times before that. From what I do remember there was nothing overly complicated or difficult about the course. With that said it is in no way easy. You still have to be striking it well to score well as there is so big trouble to get into on the wrong holes. A very picturesque and pleasant walk.

Peppas
19th October 2015, 08:22 PM
So where's my banter hatchy?

Ferrins
19th October 2015, 08:37 PM
So Victor Harbour suxs and we are only playing it to apease lager.

coalesce
19th October 2015, 08:43 PM
The view from the first tee is reason enough to play it

Hatchman
19th October 2015, 09:02 PM
So where's my banter hatchy?

Tanunda and Victor are just warm up rounds for when you take out the S.A Champs at Gawler and Royal Adelaide ��

Hatchman
19th October 2015, 09:05 PM

No, far from it.
If we wanted sux we would have a game at Fuxsted Park.

Peppas
19th October 2015, 09:33 PM
Tanunda and Victor are just warm up rounds for when you take out the S.A Champs at Gawler and Royal Adelaide ��

Trees!

Hatchman
19th October 2015, 10:27 PM
Trees!

You'll be slotting them down the middle by day 3 you'll be "saying what trees' I didn't see any in the middle of fairway" ��

jasonb
19th October 2015, 10:39 PM
I threw a racquet into one of the trees down there when I was playing juniors. Might be still there.

I think there is footage of Peppas using the racquet on the 12th at RA last year out of the TREES , was a great overhead volley!

Hatchman
19th October 2015, 11:25 PM
I think there is footage of Peppas using the racquet on the 12th at RA last year out of the TREES , was a great overhead volley!

This one

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LuYnat0xkYc

Peppas
20th October 2015, 05:24 AM
You'll be slotting them down the middle by day 3 you'll be "saying what trees' I didn't see any in the middle of fairway" ��

You're an optimistic guy hatchy!!

Peppas
20th October 2015, 05:25 AM

I'll try bring it out at our matchplay, if we end up playing each other. Keep blowing out and the match up might change!!!

thecollective
20th October 2015, 08:58 AM

Incorrect! its conditioning is superior to both Gawler and Tanunda, it is a better course visually and has more consistency in the layout as well. Gawler has magnificent land but some of the layout is really quirky. Tanunda has a good layout but trees spoil the day in many areas + a couple of greens need a re-build with one almost unplayable (#10 just ask wazamac)

In a ranking Victor would be ahead of both Gawler and Tanunda. In the past Lucas Parsons has noted Victor as one of his favourite courses to play in Australia.

TC

Lagerlover
20th October 2015, 12:37 PM

#suckit

....on the back of that remark I've organised a welcome to country ceremony, attendance compulsory.

3Puttpete
20th October 2015, 12:48 PM
Boooooooo

Lagerlover
20th October 2015, 12:52 PM
Boooooooo

Don't make me hire a bus to Hindmarsh Island!!!

Hatchman
20th October 2015, 01:55 PM
Don't make me hire a bus to Hindmarsh Island!!!

For secret women's business :)

Ferrins
26th October 2015, 05:27 PM
Gap Between 3w and 4i. Hybrid or driving iron??

Peppas
26th October 2015, 05:57 PM
7 wood bro

Everyone is doing it

I have one for sale? :)

Ferrins
26th October 2015, 06:06 PM
I best contact me ol mate Krishna and see if Vijay has a spare one.

coalesce
26th October 2015, 06:39 PM
+1 to the 7w :)

Lagerlover
26th October 2015, 06:58 PM
I best contact me ol mate Krishna and see if Vijay has a spare one.

Tell him you know perci, he didn't mind the old man going through his bag.

Peppas
27th October 2015, 08:36 AM
I got a Vsteel 7 wood if you want ferrete

Ferrins
27th October 2015, 09:01 AM
You want to give me wood?

Peppas
27th October 2015, 09:19 AM
Only if you are buying

Ferrins
27th October 2015, 10:42 AM
Just to make it clear the question was hybrid or driving iron with no mention of lady lofted fairway woods.

Peppas
27th October 2015, 10:45 AM
Just to make it clear the question was hybrid or driving iron with no mention of lady lofted fairway woods.

Oh I'm sorry Ferret

How about a Mizzy 20 degree hybrid?

Hatchman
27th October 2015, 05:06 PM
Gap Between 3w and 4i. Hybrid or driving iron??

Easy
Hybrid with Hello Kitty Handbag & Purse.
Iron without.

Ferrins
27th October 2015, 06:03 PM
I'm loving my polio bag so guess it's a jdm hybrid.

Ferrins
27th October 2015, 06:04 PM
Easy
Hybrid with Hello Kitty Handbag & Purse.
Iron without.

Ferrins
27th October 2015, 06:05 PM
Why the fk are my pics sideways?

Hatchman
27th October 2015, 08:23 PM

I don't see any Hello Kitty hanging off the bag so iron it is :D

Why the fk are my pics sideways?

You took it sideways? :razz: