PDA

View Full Version : Clone Quality (Acers)

oz
4th April 2006, 12:47 PM
Admin edit: Discussion moved from Pro-shop thread: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4450

------------------------

I have a set of XDS2 Pros that have been replaced by the Wishons I picked up here.

For those that haven't seen the XDS2 Pros, these are based on the design of the Callaway X14 Pros, and having hit both side by side, I can say that they play almost identically.

oz
13th April 2006, 03:35 PM
Is it a lack of interest issue? Or have I got the price out of whack? If it is the latter, I will consider offers. :)

Cheers

Mike

connico
13th April 2006, 05:13 PM
I think its interests mate, no one here would be caught dead with acers, esp since they are clones of callaways most of the time. Give ebay a go mate, but i think price might be an issue as well.

goughy
14th April 2006, 07:05 AM
There aren't a lot of component users here. And I think you'd need a pry bar to get jono's oxygen's out of his hands.

oz
17th April 2006, 06:49 PM
I think its interests mate, no one here would be caught dead with acers, esp since they are clones of callaways most of the time. Give ebay a go mate, but i think price might be an issue as well.

Well, I can't agree. I am here. I have been for a while. I would be caught dead with these. They are seriously good clubheads, and I have shot many, many good rounds with them. The Acer components are generally well regarded, and this configuration were, in fact, one of the most popular component heads ever released in the US.

I am only selling considering them becuase I hate having spare clubs laying around, and I am loving the Wishons I bought here so much, that the Acers aren't seeing any action. I guess you wouldn't be caught dead with the Wishons either, though, huh? I play golf for results, not brand names.

No Ebay for these. They'll go into a box, and into the garage, for now.

CobraSS
17th April 2006, 07:31 PM
Well, I can't agree. I am here. I have been for a while. I would be caught dead with these. They are seriously good clubheads, and I have shot many, many good rounds with them. The Acer components are generally well regarded, and this configuration were, in fact, one of the most popular component heads ever released in the US.

I am only selling considering them becuase I hate having spare clubs laying around, and I am loving the Wishons I bought here so much, that the Acers aren't seeing any action. I guess you wouldn't be caught dead with the Wishons either, though, huh? I play golf for results, not brand names.

Sorry dude Connico wasn't trying to get up ya nose or anything, but he is right 90% of your customers on this site are OEM ho's, and it will probably need to have Tour written on it somewhere as well.

Just get yourself a permanent texta and scribble Tour on them somewhere and Callaway or TaylorMade and also get a certificate to say it has tested and proven as a performer by BSGforums Todd(bull****ter) and they be shelling out the $$$$$. :razz: :wink:

connico
19th April 2006, 12:38 PM

Dude my current set of clubs are ravens, components...

Regardless not many people on this site actually use components, thats what i was saying. Acer arnt a bad brand but remember they are clones, there is a stigma on clone heads here, only jono uses clones, i dont know anyone else the regularly posts on here that uses clones...you have moved to wishon so you dont count anymore?

Regardless dude i wasnt trying to get up your nose about them being acer, just saying that this wouldnt be the place to sell them. Ebay would be your best bet if you wanted to make a sale.

Btw if you wanted to pull those shafts id take them off your hands :)

Virgal_Tracy
19th April 2006, 12:56 PM
Sorry Connico but I am using clones also. I actually have 2 sets. Acer XP905 (X tour clones) and Black Shark MX7 (Cally X-18) clones. There are others using clones just nowhere near as many using OEM's

connico
19th April 2006, 12:58 PM
Freaking hell who else is using clones/components?

PeteyD
19th April 2006, 01:11 PM
My fairway woods are Integra clones of the TM r7, called t7 beta II. I was suprised at how good the clubs actually are.

My old driver is an integra HRV 2, which I think is a clone of the ERC Callaway.

when I got my new irons I spent too much and bought TM.

Speirsy11
19th April 2006, 04:28 PM
When I was younger I worked in a shop that sold/built component clubs as well as OEM stuff. If you are a 20+ Hcp then they are just fine and wil work just as well as anything else. What we found was that they were inconsistent (even more so than OEM) with head weights, and quality, especially with the woods. If you have a swing speed anywhere near 100mph with driver, you are going to break a LOT of component heads (with the exception of the long drive heads like BANG and such). Acer is the only company I've ever seen have a set of irons with caved faces.......

Like I said, if you are a slash or a bunt, go nuts.....but if you are a low marker that wants consistency and durability, you get what you pay for.

Speirsy

goughy
19th April 2006, 06:34 PM
I used components for a while actually. I've had various dynacraft heads and some synchron as well. But the only sound that rings in my ears these days is 'Ping'. In fact I think my first post on isg was about components. That would be going back quite a few years now.

3oneday
19th April 2006, 08:36 PM
Still have a synchron hybrid in the shed.... aren't the Scotty Newport putters clones ;)

Deano
19th April 2006, 09:27 PM
I own and play,from time to time, a set of ACER XDS2 Pro's.
Dunno why folks call 'em "clones"? They don't share much(if any)of the Callaway technology,they just look similiar.Anyway...that's another of those looooong boring threads we don't need to start tonight....hehe

Deano

BrisWesty
20th April 2006, 08:40 PM
Another clone user.
I'm using Oxygen irons, like Jono.
After all, cloneliness is next to godliness.

goughy
20th April 2006, 08:42 PM

:smt078:smt038

BrisVegas
20th April 2006, 09:12 PM

Nice. Much better than that Jedi rehash. :oops:

Broomstick
20th April 2006, 10:01 PM
I also have a full set of clones I bought about 9 months ago, haven't regretted buying them , Had them fitted after a session on a launch monitor with a good pro.
About a month ago I was lent a Taylormade R5 driver , had a round with it and couldn't hit it any better than my clone and my clone was less than half the price of the R5.

Jono
21st April 2006, 10:01 AM
I tested the Oxygens side by side with the Ping G2's before I bought them. I actually thought the Oxygens felt a bit more solid. The price was less than half price. The Ping had a better finish, but that wasn't worth the extra $$, IMO.

pt73
21st April 2006, 05:24 PM
I sold my clone putter about 7 mths ago, it was a Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 which is a clone of the Ping Anser just much more expensive.

PT