PDA

View Full Version : I've played that tournament course!

jimandr
16th October 2015, 10:17 PM
After Steve57 indicated that he had played the course of the Fry's Open, I thought it might be a good idea to open a thread for exactly that purpose.

Some courses look better on TV than in real life, some play easier than they look, or harder, or whatever. This is the thread for the course namedroppers among us.

The thread will work best if people enter their tall stories of birdies on 18 at Pebble, etc at the time that course appears on TV (and even better if the leader takes double). I'd expect lots of stories while the Aussie PGA is at Royal Pines, or there is an event on the Sandbelt.

I won't be doing much participating myself. I've only played NSW and The Lakes among regular tourney venues. But I do get a charge out of knowing that I played the last 7 holes at The Lakes in 2 under, particularly when I see a pro cost himself the event through not being able to do what I did (I don't talk about the doubles on 10 and 11 that day, though).

coalesce
16th October 2015, 10:19 PM
I've played the Brabazon at the Belfry and I got nowhere near to driving the 10th like Seve

Lagerlover
16th October 2015, 10:22 PM
Played home of the Cascata open medley...parred the 11th

PerryGroves
16th October 2015, 10:37 PM
Lowlight: Blue Monster at Doral. Dull course on uninteresting land out near Miami airport.

Highlight: Birdied the last at The Old Course for 77.

Grunt
16th October 2015, 11:09 PM
Played Blue Canyon in Phuket was home to the Johnnie Walker some years ago. Highlight was eagling 18 :) was in the old days when I could almost play :)

benno_r
16th October 2015, 11:23 PM
Aside from normal Aussie fair, only really played Blue Canyon and Horizon Hills (Johor Open). Neither overly exciting, but ridiculous greens stimping at 13 at Horizon Hills.

Steve57
16th October 2015, 11:29 PM
Good idea for a thread Jim!By the way, I finished, 4,4,4 at Silverado for a 90! Slope off the blue tees (back) is 133 which is where I played it from but there were two or three special tees being built for the Frys which were a further 20 - 30 metres further back.

meh
17th October 2015, 06:36 AM
Played port royal in Bermuda where they played the pga grand slam of golf. The par 3 with water on the left was stunning.

Dotty
17th October 2015, 07:56 AM
Richmond NSW, home of the Australian Senior PGA.

I've even had wins from my last two starts, as the course rewards the 130m bump-and-run 6 iron.

KristianJ
17th October 2015, 08:07 AM
If Dotty cites Richmond, I'll cite Yarra Bend, host of the Australian Speedgolf Open.

Went around a lot slower, that's for sure...

Coldtopper
17th October 2015, 08:26 AM
Any one played in tournament conditions at Nudgee that would be special ?

Grunt
17th October 2015, 01:00 PM
Ohh I forgot Kapalua, has been a long time though played there in 1997.

SundayHack
17th October 2015, 01:22 PM
Played Kapalua 1 week before the pga tournament of champions. The course was in mint condition. Shame the wife gave me a lesson. Did managed to birdie 18 though.

petethepilot
17th October 2015, 01:33 PM
Shot 71 around Muirfield Scotland (British Open course). Never can go back as I can't beat that score!
Fairways lined with 2' high hay!

P.S. Hardest course to get on in the UK.
Had to organise and pay 18 months ahead!

Dangals
17th October 2015, 01:35 PM
Played the Hills and millbrook in NZ during the open... Amazing feeling to be playing inside the ropes and having people applaud shots etc

live4golf
17th October 2015, 08:36 PM
I have played the Blue Monster a couple of times and TPC Heron Bay (pretty crappy). I got to play Torrey Pines South a month before the US Open in 2008. The greens had just been re-cored but the course was pretty close to tournament condition for an inspection by the PGA...it was rather tough, especially the rough! Super fun though.

PerryGroves
17th October 2015, 09:02 PM
Ohh I forgot Kapalua, has been a long time though played there in 1997.

I've played Riviera in LA where they hold the Northern Trust Open, didn't see Grunt there.

rhino62
17th October 2015, 09:41 PM
TPC Scotsdale - the 16th looks completely different without the stadium.
Greyhawk in Pheonix - has held a PGA tournament there. Phil Mickelson is the course ambassador.
Rio Secco in Vegas - used to play the Wendy's 3 Tour challenge there - PGA, LPGA & Champions.

LoveGolf2012
17th October 2015, 09:49 PM
Last year I played the Earth Course in Dubai,the home of RTD final.Amazing course,just pure.Super hot,ball flew a mile,greens best I've ever seen,had to lie on them to see if they were real grass they are that good.Played awesome that day to,was 4 over after 14,then had to pull the pin,my back was playing up badly.

Spewing I didn't get to play the 18th,but I just could not swing,hadn't played in a while before it,I was shot!

GuyIncognito
18th October 2015, 06:40 AM
Finca Cortesin, home of the euro matchplay. Super track.

I think theyve had events at TPC Las Vegas that I've played a few times.

Wolf Creek has had something iirc?

Pretty sure they've had events on the Oceanico courses in Portugal, I've played a couple of those.

Normal aussie courses

westy
18th October 2015, 12:44 PM
Big difference between playing a tournament course, and playing it in tournament condition or from the tournament tees

I have played half a dozen Open Championship courses, which are hard enough, but then you look back from the members tees to where the champ tees are and wonder what planet these guys are on.

I have played just about every Aus Open course and the length difference in general is not so great. With those it is more a matter of speed, firmness and silly pin positions.

Last year I played Karrinyup the Monday after the Perth International from the back tees with championship pin positions and hard greens and struggled to break 90.

timah!
18th October 2015, 01:10 PM
Natadola Bay in Fiji. In the wind. And some showers. Awesome.

Hutchy
18th October 2015, 01:59 PM
Played here when growing up, born in Hexham. Think it was British champs track a couple times.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=slaley+hall+golf+course&rlz=1C1GGGE_enAU465AU469&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=979&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCcQsARqFQoTCPGKlYmDy8gCFYGDpgodks0HUw

AlexMc
19th October 2015, 11:58 AM
Played at Natadola too - brutal. Went out to Pebble Beach during the week - had a putt on the practice green. Best green I've ever putted on.

Craig_Syd
19th October 2015, 02:14 PM
Played Augusta 2006 off the back tees in June, course wasn't pretty as the flowers weren't out but it was firm and fast. One day 36 holes best day of my life after kids and wedding. Biggest surprise was the elevation change from the clubhouse down to Amen Corner...

live4golf
19th October 2015, 04:20 PM
Played Augusta 2006 off the back tees in June, course wasn't pretty as the flowers weren't out but it was firm and fast. One day 36 holes best day of my life after kids and wedding. Biggest surprise was the elevation change from the clubhouse down to Amen Corner... Winner, stop the fight. That must have been awesome.

3Puttpete
19th October 2015, 06:16 PM
Played Augusta 2006 off the back tees in June, course wasn't pretty as the flowers weren't out but it was firm and fast. One day 36 holes best day of my life after kids and wedding. Biggest surprise was the elevation change from the clubhouse down to Amen Corner...

The mrs and kids probably aren't reading this mate. We understand.

Craig_Syd
19th October 2015, 07:55 PM
Winner, stop the fight. That must have been awesome. Played some other great courses on that trip... Honors Course Tennessee and Wade Hampton, two world class tracks.

Craig_Syd
19th October 2015, 07:55 PM
The mrs and kids probably aren't reading this mate. We understand. You just never know!