PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 12 October 2015

jimandr
14th October 2015, 05:11 PM
A Wednesday game for me this week, so an early start to the thread.

My score is a slight chance of standing up for the week, too. No jelly bean score, but 38 points is my best round for many months.

I found out that quality driving is for chumps, but it is good putting that gets the scores. I drove the ball quite poorly, but I hit some good irons, and I had my best putting round for ages. For once I had the speed spot on, and putts kept going in. It was a nice feeling.

So much for my SA Champs handicap farming though. A flag round was coming off, but I've replaced it with a better one.

Ferrins
14th October 2015, 08:16 PM
36pts with 4 doubles due to basic chipping woes😒
Still another flag and down to 9.1 with only one flag for next 7 rounds.

Hard_Pan
17th October 2015, 01:01 PM
4BBB Stab today. My partner had been off for the past three weeks with a bit of sciatica so hopes were not set high but we managed a win with 48 points. Definitely was me riding the bus as my partner (off 22), was putting everything in sight (he ended up with 14 scoring shots!).

The 17th paints the best picture. A 200m par three (index 4), guarded by dense bush on the right, a stand of scraggly trees all the way along the left and two deep bunkers at four and five o'clock from the raised green. I pulled my 24deg hybrid left, over the trees to around 50m to the left of the pin. My partner (a lefty), thin slices into the said trees on the left and then hits one of them fairly solidly trying to get out. We have no idea where his ball is. I go to my ball and lob my second shot within 8 feet but just off the green.

Whilst my partner is looking for his ball, I putt within a foot for a potential 2 points and join my partner in his ball hunt. We find it on another fairway, a shot over trees, about 120m from the pin. He hits a 3 iron that lands 12 feet from the pin, about 4 feet off the green. I tell him, "if I putt my ball we have a sure 2 points. If you putt yours, we get three" - he putts his.

benno_r
17th October 2015, 01:06 PM
Played yesterday. Sucked.

Played today. Sucked a little more.

Good weather though.

Wenz
17th October 2015, 01:18 PM
We find it on another fairway, a shot over trees, about 120m from the pin. He hits a 3 iron

UM WTF? 3 iron from 120m out over trees?

Hard_Pan
17th October 2015, 01:19 PM
Yes, he's in his 70's.. :)

Hatchman
17th October 2015, 01:38 PM
1st round of Club Champs @ Kapunda

Played early today rather than my usual afternoons to make it for Speedway tonight.
Was pi$$ing down all the way for the 30min drive up and rained for the first 3 holes but after that cleared for the rest of the day for perfect conditions with hardly a breath of wind.
Was a real grind and frustrating striking the irons poorly and chipping short to often on slow greens.

Got off a poor start to the round after slotting the first drive of the day to be 5 over after 4. Steadied the ship going par, birdie, par only to trip on my d!ck with a soft double from 100m out on 8. Pared my nemesis hole to close the nine out with 6 over 42.
Started the back nine par, bogey (shank chip), par, bogey. Snap hooked 5iron on the par 3 14th 2 fairways over leaving 70m back to a tight pin. Hit the 56 a bit fat and felt like throwing it at the bag only to find the ball had carried to the green stoping 3 foot from the pin for an easy par save. Best shot of my day so far by a long shot and it was a miss hit :roll:. Started striking it better over the last few going par, birdie, birdie and narrowly missed the third bird in a row from 8 foot on the last to close the nine out square with 37.

Silver lining: can't win it in the first round but at lest I haven't put myself out of it.

Stats
79/72
8/15 effective drives
7 GIR
26 putts
3x birdies, 2x doubles, 1x hosel rocket

Peppas
17th October 2015, 02:01 PM
35pts in a round with yaksta. Had a birdie and 3 wipes. Good times. Should still be on my anchor.

Booyah!

backintheswing
17th October 2015, 03:32 PM
72 off the stick, in the usual wind and rain. Played really good today and was 2 under at one stage, but had 2 bogeys in the last 6 holes. 39 points.

mrbluu
17th October 2015, 03:42 PM
72 off the stick, in the usual wind and rain. Played really good today and was 2 under at one stage, but had 2 bogeys in the last 6 holes. 39 points.
Flusher!!

mrbluu
17th October 2015, 03:43 PM
2nd round of club champs, felt like I played worse but had a better score.....

Johnno
17th October 2015, 06:09 PM
Typical mixed bag today. More bad then good , though being 2nd round of club champs and with not playing the 1st round I wasn't to concerned on score and didn't take the smart option to get out of trouble when I found it a few times which cost me. 3 putted some birdie chances but also dropped some from long range when the damage had been done.

Went off early early today, was still in the car park when my name was announced. So had to race over with no warm up of any sort to the 1st where I normally play it safe with an iron but thought ' I've been nailing my driver last few rounds and its got the largest head so even if I miss a bit least I'll be out there somewhere' - didn't quite go as I planned. Was lucky to make any contact, would have hit the back half of the bottom of the club , it dribbled away to the left bounced over a hedge and ended up on the edge of the practice green maybe 6m in front of me. Lucky it was so early and there wasn't a full house there to witness it.

Jazz18
17th October 2015, 11:36 PM
Club Champs Rd 2. 85 gross, 75 nett. Was running 7th after Rd 1 and 1 shot back now running second, 5 shots back in the gross event. Left about 6 shots out there today. 2 or three of them were putts under 2 feet! No shanks today. Could have been much better but wasn't really playing that well so could have been a lot worse.

3oneday
18th October 2015, 07:56 AM
Lots of champs on.

Played my 2nd round yesty too, 1 worse than last week. Haven't had a double in two rounds, nor a birdie either. Frustrating.

backintheswing
18th October 2015, 08:34 AM
Club Champs Rd 2. 85 gross, 75 nett. Was running 7th after Rd 1 and 1 shot back now running second, 5 shots back in the gross event. Left about 6 shots out there today. 2 or three of them were putts under 2 feet! No shanks today. Could have been much better but wasn't really playing that well so could have been a lot worse.

Is this in b grade or a1?

yaksta
18th October 2015, 09:38 AM
37 pts with Peppas at his home track Link Shell Cove. I think I have my putter sorted now to find a driver.

Peppas
18th October 2015, 09:46 AM
37 pts with Peppas at his home track Link Shell Cove. I think I have my putter sorted now to find a driver.

Nice work flusher!

jasonb
18th October 2015, 12:56 PM
A bit of handicap farming today in preparation for matchplay against Peppas , par .. -7 , flagged round would have dropped off as well

Lagerlover
18th October 2015, 12:59 PM
Nice work team

coalesce
18th October 2015, 01:26 PM
-10 for me with jasonb. Great day all round after forgetting my shoes and hat and borrowing a pair from the pro shop that were too small and gave me blisters

As I said to Jason during the round, handicap farming is all well and good but at some point you have to start playing better - not confident I know how that's going to happen!!

Hatchman
18th October 2015, 02:50 PM
-10 for me with jasonb. Great day all round after forgetting my shoes and hat and borrowing a pair from the pro shop that were too small and gave me blisters

As I said to Jason during the round, handicap farming is all well and good but at some point you have to start playing better - not confident I know how that's going to happen!!

If you build it, scores will come. Something like that ��

Peppas
18th October 2015, 04:28 PM
A bit of handicap farming today in preparation for matchplay against Peppas , par .. -7 , flagged round would have dropped off as well

If you'd seen me play recently you'd realize you don't need to handicap farm for this :)

Jazz18
18th October 2015, 04:59 PM
Is this in b grade or a1?

A1 (we call it A reserve) believe it or not. Leading score for 2 rounds is 164, 22 over! I'm on 169. 27 over in total. 19 over total on the front nine, 8 over in total on the back. No guessing which 9 I favour. Lucky to be where I am really.

RobNewy
18th October 2015, 05:09 PM
+2 in Par at Eastern today. Played of 12.

30 putts.
11 FIR
Only 6 GIR

Hatchman
18th October 2015, 05:24 PM
A1 (we call it A reserve) believe it or not. Leading score for 2 rounds is 164, 22 over! I'm on 169. 27 over in total. 19 over total on the front nine, 8 over in total on the back. No guessing which 9 I favour. Lucky to be where I am really.

How does A and A reserve work? Not taking the p!$$, serious question.

backintheswing
18th October 2015, 05:34 PM
Up here, + to 5 is A grade, 6 to 11 or so is A1. This is in opens and club champs.

Our normal comp is 0 to 14 A grade.

3Puttpete
18th October 2015, 05:42 PM
Participation certificates

Hatchman
18th October 2015, 05:50 PM
Up here, + to 5 is A grade, 6 to 11 or so is A1. This is in opens and club champs.

Our normal comp is 0 to 14 A grade.

Cheers BITS.

Jazz18
18th October 2015, 06:40 PM
How does A and A reserve work? Not taking the p!$$, serious question.

Not sure what other Sydney clubs do but A grade is + to 8 and A reserve is 9-13 for club champs for us. Normal comps are + to 13 for A grade.

3Puttpete
18th October 2015, 07:33 PM
Dropped a flag and added another one. That's 4 in a row. Poor champs prep.

I'm really gonna earn the back to back SA Champ tattoo