PDA

View Full Version : Calling all hot tips!

Courty
18th April 2006, 08:37 PM
Hi guys,

I won a poker night on the weekend. One of the conditions of winning is that half of the pot has to be spent on bets (further gambling :roll:) with any of the additional winnings going into a kitty for a night on the town later in the year.
I have to bet on an event which is taking place in the next few weeks, so the results can be reported at the next poker night. I have $75 to spend, and was planning on splitting it between a couple of different bets: some calculated risks, some reasonably safe. I am going to buy a quickpick for this weekends lotto draw, which will leave me with just under $70 to spend. I know there are a few of you out there who are keen punters so I thought I might seek some advice, as I'm not much of a gambler apart from the odd poker night, footy tipping & the Melbourne Cup.
The first thing that came to mind was the World Cup, but it's a little too far away. Same with the US Open & Ryder Cup (the last winner picked up a nice purse for picking Lefty at the Masters)
So what am I left with... I've had a look around and I am considering putting a red note on Vijay to defend his Shell Houston Open title (odds to be released). There are also some Champions League matches in a few days time, but I don't follow soccer enough to spot a worthwhile bet.
Anyone got any other bright ideas or surefire winners?

Edit: Vijay is paying $5 for a win, next closest is D. Toms at $15 here (http://www.iasbet.com/Sport/BetTypeContainer.aspx?SportId=12&CompetitionId=19672&BetTypeId=53&FutureFlag=False).

Fishman Dan
18th April 2006, 08:51 PM
Newcastle hold value for the NRL, and St Kilda or Geelong are the pick of AFL.

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 08:52 PM
g69, premierships aren't decided in the next few weeks.

perhaps sports multi bet. I usually pick unbackable favourites accross the three codes and it pays quite well.

Last week I had Cats/Crusaders/Tigers combo. F#cking Hakws mauled the Cats and ruined it for me :(

Courty
18th April 2006, 08:55 PM
perhaps sports multi bet. I usually pick unbackable favourites accross the three codes and it pays quite well.

Could be a goer. I wouldn't mind picking a First Four on the nags, but I can't tell a thoroughbred from a glue factory special.

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 09:04 PM
considering the hawks paid $29 for the win by more than 5 goals, the cats were as short as they come.

I was actually sceptical on which game to take in the NRL, i had my AFL and S14 teams down as absolute certainties :(

Grunt
19th April 2006, 08:21 AM
Another that will be a gamble and should pay good money would be for the Rabbits to beat the Warriors in the NRL. They almost got up against the Dogs on Monday and have a few more players back from injury/suspension. They should be paying about 5 or 6 to 1

AndyP
19th April 2006, 08:24 AM
Of course, there's no bias in that tip at all, is there?

Grunt
19th April 2006, 08:26 AM
There may be a little bias but in all honesty it may be their best chance for a win since the start of the season.

AndyP
19th April 2006, 08:37 AM
I like Melbourne over Sydney with a 12.5 pt headstart at $1.90 in the AFL.

You could put some money on Federer to win most of his matches, his odds are usually short, but you could use it in a multibet.

I'd get on Jonas Thomassen at $2.30 for Norwegian Idol too.......

Moe Norman
19th April 2006, 05:55 PM
as if the Rabbits would pay $5 to beat the Warriors? what drugs are you on?

Webster
20th April 2006, 05:32 AM
I reckon Badds might be a chance to go back to back this week. Should be around $55-1. Get on!

Fishman Dan
20th April 2006, 06:41 AM
Carlton are a chance to beat Hawthorn Friday night - and the odds should be tantalising!

AndyP
23rd April 2006, 05:05 PM
I like Melbourne over Sydney with a 12.5 pt headstart at $1.90 in the AFL.
Damn, that was a good tip. I should have got on the outright win to Melb for $2.40.