PDA

View Full Version : Why hit draws

magman
12th October 2015, 05:34 PM
See the pros always or mainly hit a draw. Why?

I been thinking i can hit a nice little draw more consistently especially with the longer irons or 3w. If i try and play straight it sometimes fades also, odd slice even.

Anyone else play a draw?

coalesce
12th October 2015, 05:42 PM
Paging highballin

He hits the straightest draw I've ever seen!

Hatchman
12th October 2015, 05:45 PM
Paging highballin

He hits the straightest draw I've ever seen!

I giggled.

virge666
12th October 2015, 07:33 PM
Cause they go further, are less effected by the wind, and easier to hit with a half decent golf swing.

Also in previous times. You had to lower the spin rate and the best way to do that was with a draw. The fade shot would balloon it's tits off.

Lagerlover
12th October 2015, 07:45 PM
....cos I've got a SfTec

markTHEblake
12th October 2015, 07:53 PM
See the pros always or mainly hit a draw. Why?

To be honest I dont think they do.

Anyone else play a draw?
Yes, that's why I aim a little to the right.

davidw88
12th October 2015, 08:10 PM
Used to be all I hit, that or a hook. Now hit a shit fade that doesn't go near as far, would like to get back to hitting one.

Scifisicko
12th October 2015, 08:26 PM
One of Trevino's great quotes is "you can talk to a fade but a draw wont listen". John Daly said that before he started playing a fade, he had no idea whether his 5i would go 190 or 230. If you dont have a huge amount of time to groove your draw, a fade is probably a safer stock shot. Not always the funnest though.

3oneday
13th October 2015, 08:16 AM
You get more bad bounces playing a draw :)

Just ask Robert 8)

benno_r
13th October 2015, 08:19 AM
If I could hit one, I'd probably have a good reason why I do it.

Toolish
13th October 2015, 09:28 PM
I play a draw, used to play a fade...was not a deliberate change but a result of working on other impact stuff I was working on.

shanksalot
14th October 2015, 06:41 PM
I play a draw, used to play a fade...was not a deliberate change but a result of working on other impact stuff I was working on.

same story here.
Now I really struggle to hit a fade. usually turns into a straight pull left.
A push draw means you are impacting the ball from slightly " inside" th e target line . the clubface is slightly open giving the " push ' part. It is open because the hands are in front of the ball at impact. the release must be delayed or you hit the ground behind the ball.
With a fade its a more glancing blow and you can get away with casting the club a bit more. the clubface is more open compared to the swing path so you get more spin. and higher flight.
In other words the draw is a more "solid" shot , but not necessarily better.
I was warned by Drawers of the ball not to learn the draw. They all told me to stick with the fade. They said things like the Travino quote above .
Did I listen ? Nooo. I wanted to hit the preety draw ,didn't I. I got the distance with the driver I was looking for but now can hook the ball badly at times and the left side and right side of the course is now in play . with the fade the left side of the course was never really a concern.
So now I am re learning to fade the ball so I can use it on holes with trouble on the left.

Hutchy
14th October 2015, 11:12 PM
Working on a draw with the dog and a fade with the rabbits, double cross city.

oldracer
14th October 2015, 11:46 PM
turn 12 and 1 at Philip Island, Bathurst in corporate facilities, a smashin night with the bride and a draw over and around trees landing on the green in 2 on a par 5, not much gets any better, I can see why the pros want eutopia all the time

Hutchy
15th October 2015, 11:45 AM
turn 12 and 1 at Philip Island, Bathurst in corporate facilities, a smashin night with the bride and a draw over and around trees landing on the green in 2 on a par 5, not much gets any better, I can see why the pros want eutopia all the time

Reminds me of this.

Second round[edit (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2000_U.S._Open_(golf)&action=edit&section=7)]Friday, June 16, 2000
Saturday, June 17, 2000
Weather conditions made the course extremely difficult for scoring. Tiger Woods (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Woods), however, seemed almost impervious to the conditions and continued to make birdies to stretch his lead. On the 6th hole, Woods fired a now famous approach to reach the par-5 in two shots, ripping an iron from deep rough over the ocean and a cypress tree and landing within 15 feet from the hole. He would two-putt for birdie, would also birdie the 7th and 11th holes. With darkness settling in, Woods and his playing partners decided to attempt to play the 12th hole, a par 3, before halting play. Woods made the most of it, sinking a 30-foot putt for birdie and finishing his day with a large fist pump. Woods played indifferent golf after returning on Saturday and would settle for a two-under par 69. Still, with the scoring average so difficult, he increased his lead to six shots.

oldracer
15th October 2015, 12:13 PM
it would be incredible to think you could do that more often than not

Hutchy
15th October 2015, 06:24 PM
it would be incredible to think you could do that more often than not

True...great when you get a hole you will never forget.

westy
17th October 2015, 03:24 PM
I suspect most pros hit a draw simply because they are better players and a draw tends be more natural

Hackers like me tend not to understand how to lead from the legs and so we invariably have an out to in swing path that leads to a fade. Pros to a large extent generate the power they do by a big hip release and when the legs and hips leads the downswing, then you tend to get an inside out path, and thus a draw.

Having said that, more pros play a bit of a fade now as modern balls don't penalise a fade as much as they once did, and a fade is a little easier to stop and control into the greens. Its correct that an old balata ball could balloon and go nowhere if a high fade got caught by the wind, while a nice little low draw would run and run.

Jack Nicklaus and Lee Trevino only ever hit fades and they were half decent

Scifisicko
17th October 2015, 04:49 PM
Why does everyone think the pros all hit draws? Can think of several that prefer a fade, blubba, Ryan moore, Westwood, duffner, rose, snedeker etc

TheSlicedLife
17th October 2015, 07:52 PM
Ahhh the draw, it's like the unattainable mystical unicorn that all hack slicers dream of.

markTHEblake
17th October 2015, 08:13 PM
Confucious say, to hit draw face must impact ball with less loft, ball go further
Simple Math

if like hit fade, must buy club less loft, ball go same

Scifisicko
17th October 2015, 09:56 PM
Not less loft on the pull fade compared to the push draw?

oldracer
17th October 2015, 10:04 PM
Not less loft on the pull fade compared to the push draw?more loft on the draw???

Hutchy
18th October 2015, 12:18 AM
Confucius also say man who have hand in pocket all day like playing with balls.

Man who set up with open face must hit draw.

Scifisicko
18th October 2015, 06:12 AM
more loft on the draw??? Push draw hit with an open face, pull fade hit with a closed face (relative to the target)

TheSlicedLife
18th October 2015, 06:43 PM
More Confucius please.

TheSlicedLife
18th October 2015, 06:46 PM
More wise Confucius please.

Hutchy
18th October 2015, 08:26 PM
Bruce Lee say it is like a finger pointing to the moon, concentrate on the finger and miss all the heavenly gwory

Man who take sleeping pill and laxative on the same night will wake up in deep shit.

Dotty
18th October 2015, 08:33 PM
Do not worry, budgie bottom.

On second thoughts, that may have been Peter Moon in Fast Forward.

3oneday
18th October 2015, 08:35 PM
Where did this all go?

TheNuclearOne
18th October 2015, 09:51 PM
The fades most pro's hit is so much different to a choppers. They put more of a baby draw swing on it with changed face and alignment angles, not wiping across so much and a lot less steep.

Scifisicko
19th October 2015, 05:35 AM
From long to mid iron distance to a right pin most will hit a fade.

Daves
19th October 2015, 10:15 AM
A draw can help us shorter hitters eek out a few more metres, but they can be harder to keep on the fairway. If you aren't swing great, they have a habit of running into trouble, more often than not. The trick is to hit consistent little baby draws, aka Gazgolf, otherwise known as Tampon!

I have been in both worlds. I used to hit a consistent slice. I then spent a lot of time at the range. Working on body alignment, and working out where to aim, and swing to, eventually got me hitting consistent draws. That lasted for a couple of years, and then I started to hit little fades. Which was OK, because they were more controllable, and I didn't lose much distance, at least initially. But over time my baby fade became a ugly slice and I lost all control.

A little bit of range time and a lesson identified the issues, body alignment, swing path and aim, and a chicken winged follow through (not, not a buffalo wing!). It wasn't long, and I was hitting draws again.

I find that if I am hitting one shape consistently, it is very hard to hit the opposite shape when you need it. For me now, aiming to hit it straight and a touch higher, is my "fade" shot most of time. I try not to change the swing, just the set up a touch. The other thing that I find helps is a swing thought, low to high finish for a draw, high to low finish for a fade, or a straightish fade.