PDA

View Full Version : Weekends Away

Grunt
18th April 2006, 08:37 PM
Hi All

As I just said in the Mac Grange Plate thread, Rachelle & I are planning a quick weekend away trip. We are a little lost for ideas. Ideas so far have been Blue Mountains, Kangaroo Valley kayak trip & also Hunter Valley.

Any of you have any other ideas we could throw around, trying to a have a cheap weekend together for the 1st time since my op in January.

3oneday
18th April 2006, 08:57 PM
Brighton-Le-Sands

Courty
18th April 2006, 09:01 PM
How about New Zealand? It's not that far from Sydney, it's not that expensive to visit, and it's a whole other country.

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 09:03 PM
is the quality of nearby golf courses a factor?

3oneday
18th April 2006, 09:04 PM
is the quality of nearby golf courses a factor?I think no on this occasion

Grunt
18th April 2006, 09:08 PM
Used to live in Brighton Pete, Probably not overseas travel either, I will look into QF Flights though

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 09:10 PM
as a qantas employee I'd assume you'd get those rediculously low fares?

if so, it doesn't come much better, or cheaper than NZ.

Grunt
18th April 2006, 09:17 PM
You all think our fares are super cheap and Jarro will back me on this. The fares we pay for standy seats are now normally dearer than full fare Domestic fares.We pay the airport taxes, surcharges that the airlines subsidise for most full fare tickets.
International fares are cheaper but the standby option still is hard to plan holidays without spending extra for backup ticket with other carriers.

BrisVegas
18th April 2006, 09:18 PM
Barnbougle Dunes! The cabins there are magic and the clubhouse restaurant at the course is pretty special. Great local steaks and seafood.

Plus, in the region you've got stacks of vineyards, cheese factories, raspberry farms and plenty of other stuff to see, eat and drink in the Tamar Valley. Launceston is lovely too. Don't be afraid of the weather, it's not that cold!

3oneday
18th April 2006, 09:34 PM
mate, just go up the mountains, a nice fire, big juicy steak, child number two will be here in no time !!!!

:lol:

amanda
18th April 2006, 09:37 PM
If you can afford it, try Kim's (http://www.kims.com.au/) - fantastic beachside location and absolutely fabulous food.

On the cheaper side, how about Shoalhaven Heads? Though at this time of year, the mountains (Blue) and a fireside lodge is nice. Barrington Tops is a bit further than the Hunter but excellent bushwalking and lots of nice lodges/B&Bs.

Moe Norman
18th April 2006, 09:38 PM
Grunt,

I'm just basing it on the fact that the Qantas employee's that I know get very cheap fares. perhaps there are different levels? My buddy just went to London for a quick 2 wee holiday for $700 return flying 1st class....

anyway, Freedom gets you to NZ bloody cheap anyway!

PS: I like BV's idea :D

connico
18th April 2006, 09:41 PM
umm, kanga valley is awesome! i went for a 3 day trip kayaking with mates and its freaking awesome..dont know if it was romantic..but the sunsets are awesome.

Regardless if you havnt been visited byron bay, i know its a place for midnight tookers..but its really nice place... :)

Grunt
18th April 2006, 09:46 PM
Well after looking at both fares and seat availability, NZ is off the cards ($100+ each in taxes).

Moe your mate must be high up because myself an aircraft engineer with 17 years experience can only get Business Class at best and the fare to london is $900 plus airport taxes/airline duties.

Well it has more than likely that we will either go to the mountains or something to that effect.

Thanks everyone.

Grunt
18th April 2006, 09:47 PM
umm, kanga valley is awesome! i went for a 3 day trip kayaking with mates and its freaking awesome..dont know if it was romantic..but the sunsets are awesome.

Regardless if you havnt been visited byron bay, i know its a place for midnight tookers..but its really nice place... :)

Looking at an overnight one.

Andrew
18th April 2006, 09:55 PM
I would back Amanda up & say Kim's

Grunt
18th April 2006, 10:47 PM
Sorry Kim's is WAY Out of the budget for the weekend.
Still rebuilding after my time off work, still not back on full pay due to having the shift penalty removal staged for the period I was off. It will be back to normal next pay just on 3 months since the whole thing started with the ambo ride.

Planning on a cheap, but not nasty weekend. Maybe with an activity that is a bit of a challenge. I have just recieved the ok to resume full aerobic exercise, I can mountain bike :) etc.

Virgal_Tracy
19th April 2006, 11:23 AM
B & B at Wentworth Falls called Naini Tal. Just across the road from Wentworth Falls G.C. (www.bluemts.com.au/nainital) Your close enough for all of the bushwalking or even Jenolan Caves.

If your looking to score extra bonus pts then dinner at the Swiss Cottage at Katoomba and you'll be smiling for the next month.

Courty
19th April 2006, 11:30 AM
If you're looking for a B&B, I'll give you a good deal on my spare bedroom. ;)
10 minutes from the heart of Cairns.