PDA

View Full Version : Doing a Phil ...

Jono
18th April 2006, 05:24 PM
Well, I've done it. Just got my second driver. Cheap no name brand and no loft stated on the club. Just said "high launch". Measured the loft and it came out just under 15 degrees! :shock: Basically a 460cc three wood ... :lol:

See how it goes ... 8)

miro
18th April 2006, 05:30 PM
You my friend have some very serious issues that you, and a non golf professional, should spend some time on. :)

Grunt
18th April 2006, 05:36 PM
Why? Are you really that good to justify this or is playing golf for more than enjoyment, is it a suplementary income for you as a doctor?

connico
18th April 2006, 05:37 PM
can i have it when you done???

Jono
18th April 2006, 05:38 PM
You my friend have some very serious issues that you, and a non golf professional, should spend some time on. :)

How dare you make such a statement. What do you exactly know about me, miro? You didn't even take the time out to get to know me last time we played ... you were too busy throwing ...

HANG ON, HANG ON ... :-s Am I stealing someone else's line here? :shock: :mrgreen:

We'll see, miro. When you think about it, taking the 3 wood out of the bag and replacing it with a similar loft driver is not such a crazy idea. I'll probably use it more off the tee, and if I start hitting more fairways, who cares if it looks silly? :-D

Grunt
18th April 2006, 05:40 PM
who cares if it looks silly? :-D

You do Jono You Do

Remember the worlds greatest lob wedge, Is that still in the bag?

connico
18th April 2006, 05:40 PM
what brand is it jono??? can i get one too? :)

Jono
18th April 2006, 05:42 PM
Why? Are you really that good to justify this or is playing golf for more than enjoyment, is it a suplementary income for you as a doctor?

Club cost less than $100. I got it because I know I'm not "that good". 15 degree driver at 450cc is more forgiving, IMO, than a 150cc 3 wood off the tee. I hardly ever use my 3 wood off the deck. So why not get a similar loft driver with a bigger head that is more forgiving? :smt102

Any more question? :-D

Grunt
18th April 2006, 05:42 PM
I can a high marker having the said club in the bag but not as an extra club, one to replace the driver. Phil has teh short game that none of us have so he can have it in the bag quite easily.

Jono, should you go the 2 putter theory? It may pay bigger dividends.

Jono
18th April 2006, 05:47 PM
what brand is it jono??? can i get one too? :)

It's a budget line made by Srixon called "Tour Special". Shaft is pretty ordinary, but the head feels quite good. Sits nice and square.

I'm playing tomorrow, so I'll report back with the results. 8)

connico
18th April 2006, 05:50 PM
TS hehe i got one of the drivers, mines a 9.5 but it went high..its a GAL shaft isnt it???

its a 405??? or a 455??

Jono
18th April 2006, 05:52 PM
I can a high marker having the said club in the bag but not as an extra club, one to replace the driver. Phil has teh short game that none of us have so he can have it in the bag quite easily.

Jono, should you go the 2 putter theory? It may pay bigger dividends.

Grant. Read my lips. 3 wood out. 15 degree driver in. Got it?

"Doing a phil" was just a title to grab your attention ... :mrgreen:

Still same number of wedges in my bag. PW, GW, SW, LW. Thought about 2 putter option before. In the end, I thought that might slow the play down too much and decided against it. 8)

It's got nothing to do with how good I think I am. It's just an experiment ... Of all people, I thought you might understand ... :smt102

Jono
18th April 2006, 05:54 PM
TS hehe i got one of the drivers, mines a 9.5 but it went high..its a GAL shaft isnt it???

its a 405??? or a 455??

455. Nice and big. I liked the look of it at address. We'll see if it performs ... he, he ...

Jono
18th April 2006, 05:55 PM
I saw some Whales on spesh at Amart the other day for $39.

I was actually tossing up between the Killer Whale and the Tour Special. I went with the TS because I didn't want you to become a trend setter ... :roll: :lol:

3oneday
18th April 2006, 06:00 PM
I used two the last two weekends, same theory, more trajectory than shape. Hit the 9.5 Hibore 6 times when I wanted a higher traj, the 8.5 driver with an 80 gram shaft 7 times when I wanted precision and a lower flight.

Seemed to work fine around my home course, but then not so well on a foreign course.

Disclaimer - This in no way means I am agreeing with what Jono says, in any way shape or form.

Pete

Jono
18th April 2006, 06:06 PM
I used two the last two weekends, same theory, more trajectory than shape. Hit the 9.5 Hibore 6 times when I wanted a higher traj, the 8.5 driver with an 80 gram shaft 7 times when I wanted precision and a lower flight.

Seemed to work fine around my home course, but then not so well on a foreign course.

Disclaimer - This in no way means I am agreeing with what Jono says, in any way shape or form.

Pete

Yep. I got it for my home course as well. There are 5-6 tee shots where you need a high trajectory drive. Needs to go a tad further than my 3 wood distance. In theory, this 15 degree driver should be perfect.

Not that I'm agreeing with you, of course ... 8)

terryand
18th April 2006, 06:17 PM
Phil has teh short game that none of us have .

Speak for yourself......Oh that right your not left handed, must just be our natural born talent :-D

Terry.

AndyP
18th April 2006, 06:32 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Dr. Phil.

just
18th April 2006, 07:45 PM
Does Dr Phil use 2 Drivers?

AndyP
18th April 2006, 07:53 PM
No, he's learnt to love his one driver and accept it for what it is.

goughy
18th April 2006, 08:04 PM
Out of interest you should try it off the deck. Might be ok. Years ago when I last couldn't hit a 3 wood, I had a 12* brosnan driver that pulled double duty for me.

Jono
18th April 2006, 09:01 PM
No, he's learnt to love his one driver and accept it for what it is.

:smt042 :smt043

Hey ... you watch day time TV? :shock: :lol:

Jono
18th April 2006, 09:07 PM
Out of interest you should try it off the deck. Might be ok. Years ago when I last couldn't hit a 3 wood, I had a 12* brosnan driver that pulled double duty for me.

I'll give it a try at the range, Goughy. It's quite a deep face driver though ... At my home course, there aren't really any reasons to use the 3 wood off the deck. Even on other courses, if I am out more than 210-220 meters from the green, I'm probably better off laying up with a mid iron and leaving a wedge in. Trying to hit the green with the 3 wood off the deck more often than not leaves me in trouble. So that's another reason for having the 15 degree driver instead of the three wood. :-D

By the way, I saw VJ hit a bunch of driver shots off the grass at the practice range last year at the US PGA. Very nice, low, boring shots. I'm no VJ though ... :lol:

3oneday
18th April 2006, 09:12 PM
By the way, I saw VJ hit a bunch of driver shots off the grass at the practice range last year at the US PGA. Very nice, low, boring shots. I'm no VJ though ... :lol:Hi-bore I think Jono, been meaning to try it but I haven't had any rounds lately I've wanted to kiss goodbye :lol:

jimandr
18th April 2006, 10:43 PM
I'm waiting for the post that announces the end of the Cobra, replaced by the Tour Special.

Then the post that reshafts the Tour Special with a shaft that costs three times what the club costs.

I can see some big scores at the 7th and 12th at Bayview if it has a draw bias.

If this is successful, it could be the reinvention of 'hoing as we know it (reverse 'hoing maybe?). Not that I would ever agree with Jono.

Jarro
18th April 2006, 10:52 PM
good luck with it all Jono ... sounds like it just might work for ya ;)

McMw
19th April 2006, 01:19 AM
was thinking of going with 2 drivers just for the fun factor...but then I realize that I can hit both fades/slices and draws/hooks with the same driver...so problem solved...

just don't know which one's gonna show up...

like the idea of the trajectory factor tho...

Jarro
19th April 2006, 08:17 AM
couldn't you just achieve the same results by just playing around with ball position, tee height etc. :confused: Getting extra height out of a driver shouldn't be a problem.

3oneday
19th April 2006, 08:24 AM
couldn't you just achieve the same results by just playing around with ball position, tee height etc. :confused: Getting extra height out of a driver shouldn't be a problem.u could, but that involves a swing change possibly, or different swing thoughts.

Same swing, same setup, different traj, appeals to me....

Pete

miro
19th April 2006, 08:50 AM
Jono,

Saw Gary the other day and he told me you had kicked his ****, shot the lights out etc etc. Surely this wasn't with the two driver setup was it??

Still waiting for a round review.

TS
19th April 2006, 09:36 AM
Jono. After seeing you 4 putt the 18th at Long Reef last Sunday. The next thing you need to try is to have 4 putters instead of 4 wedges.

Grunt
19th April 2006, 09:42 AM
Jono. After seeing you 4 putt the 18th at Long Reef last Sunday. The next thing you need to try is to have 4 putters instead of 4 wedges.

:smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043

TS you might be onto something there. Jono could buy a different type of putter. A blade, a 2 ball, ping anser type & maybe a broomstick

TS
19th April 2006, 09:45 AM
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043

TS you might be onto something there. Jono could buy a different type of putter. A blade, a 2 ball, ping anser type & maybe a broomstick

Jono already have all the above putters, he just need to take out a few clubs to fit them in. I can see Jono's bag will consist of 2 drivers, few irons, 1 wedge and 4 putters.

Jono
19th April 2006, 01:28 PM
To all the knockers out there (read miro, Grant, TS) ... I had a very comfortable 40 points at Bayview today. Love the feel of the 15 degree driver, and except for one drive, all the other tee shots were "effective" (meaning I had a shot to the green). The 15 degree driver works great around Bayview where you need the height to carry trees and water. Only used the Cobra 3 times today, 2 of those were around 260 meter mark and the other was around 240. The 15 degree driver went around 220 to 230 meters, very high (higher than 3 wood), and nearly all carry. Love it. 8)

As 3oneday said (and again, I am in no way agreeing with him) it's great to be able to hit two completely different trajectory drives with exactly the same swing. If you haven't tried this before, I suggest you try it before you knock it. :roll: :lol:

Jono
19th April 2006, 01:31 PM
Jono already have all the above putters, he just need to take out a few clubs to fit them in. I can see Jono's bag will consist of 2 drivers, few irons, 1 wedge and 4 putters.

Who's the one that just went out to buy a new putter because he was sick of 3 putting? :roll:

TS
19th April 2006, 01:37 PM
Who's the one that just went out to buy a new putter because he was sick of 3 putting? :roll:

I should have know better than to buy my last putter from Jono. The Corza has been train by the Doc to 3 & 4 putts every green, it is too late to untrain it.

peter_rs
19th April 2006, 01:37 PM
good to hear the results were good and the 2 driver could be around for a bit longer

TS
19th April 2006, 01:38 PM
Jono. We should start calling you Mr Bayview since you can't score anywhere else.

ren
19th April 2006, 01:45 PM
good idea mate. Most players can't consistently hit 13/15 degree woods from the fairway anyway, or 3,4,5 irons, and also lob wedges. Whatever works.....it's good to keep experimenting.

andylo
11th May 2006, 09:50 AM
Jono has already on the road of future.

The bottom line is, you didn't spend $350 on that new driver to keep it in the bag, but you don't have the swing speed to gouge out of the rough like the pros--and you're not gouging with a wedge. Titleist's Phillips has a solution: "I could see a day when [non-tour] players carry two drivers, maybe a 9-degree and also a 13-degree for tougher driving holes." That would give golfers a chance to play a safer club without feeling like they're keeping the big dog from coming out to play.

http://golfdigest.com/instruction/index.ssf?/instruction/gd200606bombers4.html

PRC
11th May 2006, 06:08 PM
I can't wait for the days of the 28 club bag

addamsmith
12th May 2006, 07:23 AM
Hey PRC where is your full stop.
Get it.
Ha Ha

990B Luva
12th May 2006, 08:46 AM
the Titleist guy mentioned is Dave Phillips, his brother plays at Jindalee.... one of the guys there bought a hand stamped "commemoration" Cammy from him

PRC
12th May 2006, 02:06 PM
Hey PRC where is your full stop.
Get it.
Ha Ha

Took me a second but I did get it, I think I explained that I was quite drunk at the time - so a belated apology if I ruined your thread.

What is a "hand stamped commemoration Cammy"?

990B Luva
12th May 2006, 10:18 PM
it is a Cammy that was made for Dave Phillips when he was with Scotty Cameron, it has his initials and completly different sole stamping. it is a Newport Mid Slant, i will try to get some pics of it for ya's

Bruce
13th May 2006, 03:58 PM
I may be doing a Phil this week.

I bent my 3I today on a Ti Tree at Sandringham and Ben won't be able to have it done before I head off to Tocumwal. I don't think I'll miss the 3I too much but with a free slot then I might as well give it a burl.