PDA

View Full Version : Cricket 2015/16

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

KristianJ
7th October 2015, 01:16 PM
I figured a new thread for the new season given that the domestic one dayers have kicked off.

And the Cricket Australia XI is paying dividends of embarrassment...an aggregate of 138 runs across 2 games.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/matador-cup-live-scores-victorian-bushrangers-v-cricket-australia-xi/story-fn2mcu3x-1227560056882

Yossarian
7th October 2015, 01:59 PM
There is something quite pleasing about watching ostensibly good cricketers fail so miserably.

Hatchman
7th October 2015, 06:54 PM
Great run chase by the Redbacks in the BBQ cup.
Well done Head & Ferg :)

Yossarian
7th October 2015, 09:08 PM
I suppose SA cricket had to stop being shit at some point.

Hatchman
7th October 2015, 09:48 PM
I suppose SA cricket had to stop being shit at some point.

They are still shit. I expect them them capitulate from here on. They've had their one good game for the year.

hacker
7th October 2015, 10:48 PM
Great run chase by the Redbacks in the BBQ cup.
Well done Head & Ferg :)

I see that Travis Head has removed the dirtiest mo in the history of ever.

Wardy101
7th October 2015, 11:13 PM
CAXI is an absolute joke....whoever came up with the idea should be fired. Dont think it is doing those youngsters any favours getting flogged each game.

Hatchman
8th October 2015, 11:33 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Wato :lol::lol::lol::lol: full toss

Hatchman
8th October 2015, 07:05 PM
They are still shit. I expect them them capitulate from here on. They've had their one good game for the year.

Right on que.
Got flogged against NSW?

BayBum
13th October 2015, 05:03 PM
Looking forward to the Black Caps taking on the Aussie's.

Day/Night test match sounds a bit...meh....but it suits my hours fine so I'll definitely be watching it.

coalesce
13th October 2015, 09:06 PM
Suits me too. Might get some value out of the SACA membership this year!

jimandr
14th October 2015, 10:10 PM
It is both an exciting time and an anxious time to be a cricket fan right now.

I have England v Pakistan on Fox3, Sri Lanka v West Indies on Fox+ and an India v South Africa one-dayer on Fox5. Three games of cricket at once!

However, there are absolutely no spectators in Abu Dhabi, and the flattest pitch in cricket history. Sri Lanka hasn't got many spectators either, so there is zero atmosphere at either game.

Without the crowd atmosphere and the sense of excitement that brings, viewers may stop viewing and the money may stop coming in.

I don't have any sort of answer, but test cricket is in trouble everywhere but England and Australia due to lack of crowd interest. Not good at all.

coalesce
14th October 2015, 10:32 PM
I went to the Dubai game on the last tour. The problem is that none of the ex-pat Pakistani fans can afford or are able to take time off to go to the game. It's a problem specific to Pakistan having to play from home. I saw it suggested they should play their away games in Australia or England but I'm not sure they'd want to move away from the UAE where they have a pretty good record

It will be busier on Friday which is their day off, providing England haven't been bowled out twice by then

TheNuclearOne
17th October 2015, 11:46 PM
A big scoring placid game of cricket has now been turned on it's head between the Poms and Pakistan. Pakistan 8-523, younis 245. Poms 9-598, Cook 263. Anderson comes alive to have them 2-3 and with one day and a bit to go they are 8-169. In recent years the Poms have played some extremely good cricket under such conditions.

As i slowly compiled this Rashid has taken 2 wickets in (two balls) and Pakistan is all out 173. Rashid 5-64 after having the worst ever figures for a debutant (pretty sure i read this) in the first innings of 0-163. Poms 99 to win, what a turnabout after chasing 523.

We should study their methods on the sub continent wickets, they are miles more solid than us.

TheNuclearOne
17th October 2015, 11:47 PM
Malik a second innings duck

Double-hundred and zero in same Test
PlayerBat1Bat2OppositionStart Date

Shoaib Malik Pak
v England
13 Oct 2015

RT Ponting Aus
v India
12 Dec 2003

IVA Richards WI
v Australia
22 Dec 1984

SM Nurse WI
v Australia
5 May 1965

Imtiaz Ahmed Pak
v New Zealand
26 Oct 1955

AD Nourse SA
v Australia
24 Dec 1935

jimandr
18th October 2015, 12:03 AM
Yes, TNO.

I had a spiel prepared when I logged on, after coming home from my regular Saturday Night at the RSL, but you beat me to it.

There may never have been a game of test cricket like this one.

Anyone watching the EPL and monitoring Ozgolf at the same time should switch over to 503. If it wasn't Pakistan, with their corrupt history, you would just shake your head, but even then, no batsman is skillful enough to edge a spinner to slip first ball.

Amazing.

TheNuclearOne
18th October 2015, 03:05 AM
Bad light, boooooooo.

Yossarian
18th October 2015, 08:51 PM
It is both an exciting time and an anxious time to be a cricket fan right now.

I have England v Pakistan on Fox3, Sri Lanka v West Indies on Fox+ and an India v South Africa one-dayer on Fox5. Three games of cricket at once!

However, there are absolutely no spectators in Abu Dhabi, and the flattest pitch in cricket history. Sri Lanka hasn't got many spectators either, so there is zero atmosphere at either game.

Without the crowd atmosphere and the sense of excitement that brings, viewers may stop viewing and the money may stop coming in.

I don't have any sort of answer, but test cricket is in trouble everywhere but England and Australia due to lack of crowd interest. Not good at all.

How many spectators do you expect in UAE?

And how many would reasonably be expected to rock up and watch the West Indies get shafted.

Test cricket isn't in trouble.

jimandr
23rd October 2015, 10:35 PM
Pakistan v England in Dubai isn't the most attractive matchup, so I understand why there haven't been any comments posted.

But in the bits I have seen so far, it is the peripherals that are the most interesting parts of this game.

It will almost certainly be in the highlights somewhere, so viewers should pay particular attention to the lbw dismissal of the Pakistan tailender Zulfiquar. It looks like he is attempting to duck a half-volley!

I didn't see it live, so I don't know whether he had been softened up by 3 bouncers in a row or not, but he is ducking as the ball is being delivered, and naturally the ball isn't going anywhere near where he anticipated. Just amazing.

Almost as amazing was the lbw review Pakistan called for not long ago. Bowler Wahab Riaz to batsman Alistair Cook. Inswinging yorker, Cooks jams down late, ball squeezes of inside edge for 4 to fine leg. Bowler proves he is blind by appealing, and then convinces those behind the wicket that it was out. Replay shows ball not even particularly close to the pad. Review wasted.

Some good sexist camera work in this game, too. There are a few English expats and tourists in the crowd, and the cameras have done a good job of finding the honeys.

coalesce
23rd October 2015, 11:36 PM
I would watch it, but I don't have Foxtel. I saw the wicket in question. Looks like he was expecting a short one and just lost sight of it. Was only an umpires call lbw in the end - looked like it was sliding down maybe

coalesce
23rd October 2015, 11:37 PM
In other news, Voges slammed the pink ball after the NZ warm up today saying it went green by the end. That'll be fun in the test match then!

topspark
24th October 2015, 09:40 AM
I know its early days just after a footy season, but there seems to be a distinct lack of interest at the moment in the cricket.

TheNuclearOne
24th October 2015, 09:45 AM
It should fire back up again quick in just under two weeks. We're coming off a whole lot of cricket in recent months. The match up against the Kiwi's is mouth watering and it should be a great series with any luck.

jimandr
24th October 2015, 11:08 AM
I know its early days just after a footy season, but there seems to be a distinct lack of interest at the moment in the cricket.

It is the same every year nowadays. Domestic cricket just doesn't register with the media, so the season really only starts the day before the first test.

On that subject, I noted the other day that the bookies had Australia at $1.60 or so, which seems to me to be very short. New Zealand are a good side, and if the ball swings early Boult and Southee will be difficult to play. I have no confidence in Australia until I actually see the new batting lineup under match conditions.

topspark
24th October 2015, 05:06 PM
I was the same last year, until the tests got under way, and then the 20/20 series started to get a little interesting :)

TheNuclearOne
25th October 2015, 06:58 PM
Will his superb limited overs form, a loss of team experience and the legacy of Buck Rogers get Cowan a recall?

Yossarian
25th October 2015, 10:17 PM
ABD and Faf having a lot of fun in Mumbai.

TheNuclearOne
25th October 2015, 10:27 PM
Hopefully we will see an AB special in the last 6 overs. He's insane when he gets going.

KristianJ
25th October 2015, 10:31 PM
Love hearing the crowd chanting for him and Faf...even though it almost seems like sacrilege that an Indian crowd would cheer on an opposition player like that!

TheNuclearOne
25th October 2015, 10:36 PM
And he's going rank.

KristianJ
25th October 2015, 10:38 PM
So much for letting the 5th fielder back outside the circle. :lol:

TheNuclearOne
25th October 2015, 10:45 PM
Anyone wanna back India? :D

KristianJ
25th October 2015, 11:06 PM
Anyone wanna back India? :D

I'd back NSW to beat India on today's form...

TheNuclearOne
25th October 2015, 11:18 PM
I'd back NSW to beat India on today's form...

Not over there tho :D

TheNuclearOne
27th October 2015, 12:24 AM
Valiant effort by the Poms to survive, only fell just short.

Yossarian
30th October 2015, 01:19 PM
NZ have apparently spat the chewy or something. Declared twice, game over. WTF!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/cricket-australia-xi-v-nz-live-scores-day-two-of-tour-match-at-blacktown/story-e6frf3g3-1227587931490

BenM
30th October 2015, 01:25 PM
Cricinfo says it's lunchtime and they'll make a decision whether to play on during the break.

Yossarian
30th October 2015, 01:26 PM
Cricinfo is wrong I think. It is usually quite useless for domestic fixtures.

BenM
30th October 2015, 01:29 PM
Oh well. Soon find out I guess.

Pitch looks like a subcontinent deck - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CShxzq2UwAAqoJS.jpg:large

Obviously it's not doing much though!

Yossarian
30th October 2015, 01:32 PM
Having seen some footage it does look average but not dangerous or anything like that. Very strange turn of events.

BenM
30th October 2015, 01:46 PM
It is odd.

Peter Lalor says there was a nasty spot on a good length and they didn't want to risk an injury.

https://twitter.com/plalor/status/659922291116019712

AndyP
30th October 2015, 01:57 PM
So brave of Finch and Carters then.

coalesce
30th October 2015, 02:07 PM
Largest ever win? An innings and 503 runs? :)

Pencil
30th October 2015, 08:04 PM
Love how the only bowler to get a wicket has only ever bowled 14 deliveries in first class cricket.

TheNuclearOne
31st October 2015, 06:58 PM
Bit of noise when Finch was left out of the Vic shield squad, particularly when he responded with a double ton vs the Kiwi's.

Travis Dean, the young up and comer who got his spot has just scored 154no and 109no vs The Bulls on debut. When he does actually get out he will be averaging at least 263 LOL

jimandr
5th November 2015, 09:50 AM
The real cricket season starts today, thankfully.

I still don't understand why the media are so confident about Australia's chances, but I'll be cheering for them anyway. I hope Burns and Khawaja go well, because if they don't we are very fragile.

It does concern me a bit that Australia have stated they will be continuing with 'aggressive cricket' when the Kiwi's have stated they won't be sledging, but maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy.

In other news, against all expectations there is another good test happening in the oilfields. The Poms probably won't win, but my remote will be getting a workout switching between the two games in the last hour of our play.

mrbluu
5th November 2015, 10:35 AM
Australia won the toss and will bat.....first bal in 25mins.

Wardy101
5th November 2015, 03:57 PM
great start so far

mrbluu
5th November 2015, 04:37 PM
The selectors must be feeling like a bunch of Dingdongs for not picking Burns and Khawaja for the Ashes series. Both going really well.

Yossarian
5th November 2015, 04:59 PM
I doubt they are feeling that silly. SOS was a stupid selection but you can see why they went with him.

coalesce
5th November 2015, 05:05 PM
This pitch has got more bounce and less lateral movement than anything served up during the Ashes. Nice pitch for them to come into the team on

Yossarian
5th November 2015, 05:15 PM
Coalesce I am not sure I ever said that you were more right about the decks in England than I was.

Lagerlover
5th November 2015, 05:39 PM
Just announced that the Brisbane city council will wait until Tuesday morning to add the nature strip.

Wardy101
5th November 2015, 11:28 PM
Just announced that the Brisbane city council will wait until Tuesday morning to add the nature strip. lucky the kiwis know how to hang out in the field and entertain themselves after that tour match

Think we might let them have a bat after 500 runs are on the board.....wouldn't want them to have another dummy spit

jimandr
6th November 2015, 12:38 AM
It was a rainy day, so I watched almost every ball today. I wasn't game to post during play for fear of putting the Kiss of Death on the players.

But, it could hardly be better for Australia. Not only did our two newcomers make runs, they did it in style.

I was impressed with the way Burns (and Warner) knuckled down early, got though the new ball, and then they cashed in. Then Khawaja played the way you want a three to play when coming in at 1 for plenty, and way better than he he has ever batted in a test before. The confidence boost alone should help both players a lot.

New Zealand, on the other hand, were awful. Southee and Boult were good early, but after the shine was off the ball, they didn't have much to offer, and the other bowlers were barely of test standard.

The only negative I see from the day is that it is going to be hard to draw a crowd for the rest of this game, and if Australia win by a lot (and they should) the other tests may not have decent crowds either. They will battle to give tickets away for the Windies, except for Boxing Day.

Ron Burgundy
6th November 2015, 06:51 AM
I'm heading along today. Looking forward to drinking a thousand beers while watching us pile on plenty more runs before declaring later in the day and hoping the kiwis don't spit the dummy and declare twice.

AndyP
6th November 2015, 07:34 AM
I'm hoping for more domination while there today too. Lots of runs, declare, grab a few wickets. Easy.

AndyP
6th November 2015, 10:40 AM
There's no one here.

I can confirm that the Kiwis have shown up, and it looks like they will continue to play this match; at least the first session anyway.

mrbluu
6th November 2015, 11:42 AM
The Kiwis are bowling well this morning.

LarryLong
6th November 2015, 11:43 AM
Nice ball from Boult to knock over Smith.

I think they might have left the run a bit late though.

coalesce
6th November 2015, 12:59 PM
Coalesce I am not sure I ever said that you were more right about the decks in England than I was.

Pretty sure you did say something like that somewhere in last year's thread but thanks

Ron Burgundy
6th November 2015, 03:08 PM
There's no one here. There's no one sitting in the sun, which is sensible enough. There's a lot of of people crammed into the cricketers club though. I hope Johnson and Starc get a few poles before I get too pissed to remember the rest of the day.

Yossarian
6th November 2015, 03:10 PM
Rogers on the ABC basically saying MJ and Starc shouldn't play in the same side, and between the lines that it cost us the Ashes.

AndyP
6th November 2015, 03:18 PM
RB, did you have to get a package that included footy games for your cricketer's club tickets?

I thought the Aussies would go a bit harder earlier for a bigger total. There wasn't enough party time.

BenM
6th November 2015, 05:52 PM
I thought the declaration might have been a bit premature - at least let Voges ton up! But with 5 down now, we've made pretty good inroads.

TheNuclearOne
6th November 2015, 06:49 PM
Rogers on the ABC basically saying MJ and Starc shouldn't play in the same side, and between the lines that it cost us the Ashes.

They were terrible together late today.

Ron Burgundy
6th November 2015, 07:15 PM
RB, did you have to get a package that included footy games for your cricketer's club tickets?I thought the Aussies would go a bit harder earlier for a bigger total. There wasn't enough party time.Supplier takes us every year. They have year round tickets. I'm not really into AFL so usually turn down the footy tickets but take them up on the offer for the test.

AndyP
6th November 2015, 08:46 PM
Supplier takes us every year. They have year round tickets. I'm not really into AFL so usually turn down the footy tickets but take them up on the offer for the test.
Okay. My FIL goes every year, but won't rejoin the club after they expected footy tickets to be purchased too. It seems strange that you still have to buy admission when you are a member of the cricketer's club.

No problem with my friend's membership in the trust though. That last session was great, especially from where I was sitting.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/06/7b0aa06fd49770deccb94c0fc949a3c5.jpg

TheNuclearOne
6th November 2015, 09:46 PM
How good is that view, jeez. Were you behind Starc's end of Johnson's when the wickets tumbled?

AndyP
6th November 2015, 09:54 PM
Starc's. That has been my regular view for one day of the Brisbane test for many years.

LarryLong
6th November 2015, 10:00 PM
It would be a much better view if somebody could move that giant beer glass.

TheNuclearOne
6th November 2015, 10:02 PM
Starc's. That has been my regular view for one day of the Brisbane test for many years.

Color me jealous.

Ron Burgundy
6th November 2015, 10:13 PM
Okay. My FIL goes every year, but won't rejoin the club after they expected footy tickets to be purchased too. It seems strange that you still have to buy admission when you are a member of the cricketer's club. No problem with my friend's membership in the trust though. That last session was great, especially from where I was sitting. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/06/7b0aa06fd49770deccb94c0fc949a3c5.jpg Good stuff. Was a great last session. We were 90 deg to that view in the wisden room of the cricketers club. Probably not as much fun as when I was younger in boardies making beer snakes in the outer. But air con, silver service dining and a stocked wine list isn't such a bad way to watch cricket.

backintheswing
7th November 2015, 05:01 PM
Well done Joe Burns.

A fantastic century.

jimandr
7th November 2015, 05:02 PM
So, Joe Burns just spent two balls in the nervous 90's on his way to his first century. He needs to relax at the crease a bit more.

AndyP
7th November 2015, 05:02 PM
You must be so proud, BITS.

backintheswing
7th November 2015, 05:16 PM
You must be so proud, BITS.

Very happy for him AP.

I feel he should have been in the side 3 or 4 years ago, but anyway, he's there now, so hope he keeps it going.

AndyP
7th November 2015, 05:33 PM
He should have been in the Caribbean/Ashes squads, but maybe they wanted to get some more cricket into him via Australia A.

BenM
7th November 2015, 06:22 PM
Fantastic knocks from both Burns and Warner, but Burns was making Davey look pedestrian for a while there.

TheNuclearOne
7th November 2015, 08:13 PM
Fantastic knocks from both Burns and Warner, but Burns was making Davey look pedestrian for a while there.

Warner led the way to 50 then visibly went back some gears and started feeding the strike to Burns who responded by upping the ante. Speculation was he was trying to help him to a ton as best he could. I never saw the segment after the rain but Warner obviously ramped right up again. Two killer partnerships for the game.

jimandr
7th November 2015, 11:57 PM
It was about as easy as test match batting gets. A popgun attack totally unsuited to the conditions and a flat, consistently bouncing fast pitch, but it was still really good batting. No matter how easy it looks, you still have to do the job.

Burns gets all the credit today, but Warner doesn't deserve to be overshadowed. Tons in both innings at a very quick run rate, with an allegedly injured hand. A few other players may be lining up to get the same injury.

Declaration thoughts? They have enough runs now, but I'm thinking maybe another 30 minutes, just to make them think a bit more.

I was very impressed by Williamson on the NZ side of the equation. He looked a really good player today.

BenM
8th November 2015, 07:55 AM
I think they'll bat for an hour or so this morning if they can, to try and get Marsh (and possibly Voges) a little bit of match practice and just rub it in a little bit. Maybe less if we lose wickets - with the weather maybe being a factor they wouldn't want to give themselves less than that I would think.

Williamson was very very good. Guptill would ordinarily revel in these conditions too, I'm tipping him to make a decent score this time round - they could push the game well into tomorrow if they bat well. I think we were a bit lucky to get that flurry of wickets late on Friday and break the game open.

backintheswing
8th November 2015, 09:31 AM
I think they'll bat for an hour or so this morning if they can, to try and get Marsh (and possibly Voges) a little bit of match practice and just rub it in a little bit. Maybe less if we lose wickets - with the weather maybe being a factor they wouldn't want to give themselves less than that I would think.

Williamson was very very good. Guptill would ordinarily revel in these conditions too, I'm tipping him to make a decent score this time round - they could push the game well into tomorrow if they bat well. I think we were a bit lucky to get that flurry of wickets late on Friday and break the game open.

Not sure if you were watching yesterday, but Marsh is already out for 2.

BenM
8th November 2015, 11:03 AM
Not sure if you were watching yesterday, but Marsh is already out for 2.

I was, as much as was possible between children and work around the house. Must have been fairly close to the end when other things were distracting me. I saw Smith get out and not much past that.

jimandr
8th November 2015, 11:05 AM

Overnight declaration, so we know the answer to that one. And a dropped chance at short leg already.

I don't rate Guptill, but I thought Latham looked good, we know about Williamson, and Ross Taylor is a very good player. Get them early and the game will be over today. But if we don't, it might get interesting.

TheNuclearOne
8th November 2015, 12:20 PM
Smith is going to have to learn to reign in his reactions to dropped catches a bit moving forward as an el capitano.

Hatchman
9th November 2015, 08:36 PM
Good win by the Aussies.

on a side note how the f**k did W.A loose the shield game to S.A :shock:

Yossarian
9th November 2015, 10:03 PM
Cracking finish, was able to watch most of it. Maybe SA have finally stopped being shit.

3oneday
10th November 2015, 08:46 AM
Another false dawn, NZ only marginally stronger than Zimbabwe.

TheNuclearOne
10th November 2015, 02:26 PM
We;ve lost about 3 home series (something like 2 to SA and 1 to Poms) since 2000, always very strong at home even during transitions. Without looking i'm guessing many others are far better at home.

Lehman and the selectors job now (they know it and are think tanking it) is to improve our performances abroad, particularly in England and on sub continent tours. Will they ever get there? Our only recent history successes playing India or Pakistan away were when we were awesome, and also had some good players that had experience in the conditions. Even our great teams have failed in England for quite some time now.

At least we are home track bullying out here, hate to lose at home and abroad :D

coalesce
10th November 2015, 03:25 PM
These days, unless the opposition is significantly weaker, it is tough for away sides, whoever they are because tours aren't as long and don't include as many warm up games as they used to (and they aren't treated as seriously either).

Also, there's little opportunity for someone to play themselves into contention for selection during a tour, so you can end up sticking with a player that you might have dropped if you were playing at home and there were other players in their state/county teams making their case for selection.

Even countries you'd think have similar conditions like Eng/NZ and Aus/SA seem to find it difficult

TheNuclearOne
10th November 2015, 03:34 PM
These days, unless the opposition is significantly weaker, it is tough for away sides, whoever they are because tours aren't as long and don't include as many warm up games as they used to (and they aren't treated as seriously either).

Also, there's little opportunity for someone to play themselves into contention for selection during a tour, so you can end up sticking with a player that you might have dropped if you were playing at home and there were other players in their state/county teams making their case for selection.

Even countries you'd think have similar conditions like Eng/NZ and Aus/SA seem to find it difficult

Good points. It's quite hectic (tour schedules) now unlike years prior as you say. Would however disagree on Aus/SA having trouble handling each others conditions, we just defeated them over there recently and they have beaten us a couple of times out here in recent history.

sol381
10th November 2015, 05:55 PM
Smith is going to have to learn to reign in his reactions to dropped catches a bit moving forward as an el capitano.

Indeed..saw his reaction to lyons drop..if he carries on like that he had better not drop another catch for the rest of his career..still its his first test as captain so maybe he will calm down a bit.

kiwitown
10th November 2015, 08:36 PM
Another false dawn, NZ only marginally stronger than Zimbabwe.

That's a bit harsh, I think we have lost to Zimbabwe a few times.....ha

TheNuclearOne
11th November 2015, 01:28 AM
Indeed..saw his reaction to lyons drop..if he carries on like that he had better not drop another catch for the rest of his career..still its his first test as captain so maybe he will calm down a bit.

He captained for about 3 vs India too. Obviously he's young and will develop. Even the instant (negative) public comments per Starc were something rarely seen by previous Australian Captains.

Steve57
11th November 2015, 07:04 AM
I have no problem whatsoever with what he said and when/where he said it.
It shows that he is real and not a puppet of Cricket Australia.
Too many in the past have just towed the party line.
For me, the match referee didn't go far enough, Starc should have been suspended for the next Test.

3oneday
11th November 2015, 08:40 AM
Easier to drop catches in the slips then where Lyon dropped that one.

TheNuclearOne
11th November 2015, 10:57 AM
I have no problem whatsoever with what he said and when/where he said it.
It shows that he is real and not a puppet of Cricket Australia.
Too many in the past have just towed the party line.
For me, the match referee didn't go far enough, Starc should have been suspended for the next Test.

It's definitely something different isn't it. I'm still betting they phase it out of him, sooner rather than later. Hanging a player out to dry for the media might not go well for team comradery. Time will tell.

After his Lyon carry on he could be seen cuddling up to him walking off for the next break.

TheNuclearOne
11th November 2015, 11:32 AM
Lehmann after some fielding improvements -

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/darren-lehmann-tells-joe-burns-usman-khawaja-to-lift-in-the-field/story-fndpt0dy-1227603686825

Kwaka was noticably ponderous, heard on the radio something about plenty of knee problems in the past but could have been a bit of a gee up. Close in fielding is a specialist position and Burns will need some time to adapt. Tough gig early on.

Sydney Hacker
11th November 2015, 11:43 AM
Lehmann after some fielding improvements - http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/darren-lehmann-tells-joe-burns-usman-khawaja-to-lift-in-the-field/story-fndpt0dy-1227603686825 Kwaka was noticably ponderous, heard on the radio something about plenty of knee problems in the past but could have been a bit of a gee up. Close in fielding is a specialist position and Burns will need some time to adapt. Tough gig early on. I don't know why that don't chuck Khawaja in at bat pad, Burns would have to be faster in the outfield then Khawaja and Usman couldn't be any worse at bat pad then Burns.

TheNuclearOne
11th November 2015, 11:47 AM
I don't know why that don't chuck Khawaja in at bat pad, Burns would have to be faster in the outfield then Khawaja and Usman couldn't be any worse at bat pad then Burns.

Now there's an idea. Apparently a few jibe Kwaka with "Inzy" taunts :D

3Puttpete
11th November 2015, 12:03 PM
You'd put a bloke with a bung knee at bat pad?

Sydney Hacker
11th November 2015, 12:18 PM
You'd put a bloke with a bung knee at bat pad? If his knee is ok to bat for a day plus and field in the out field, then yes.

jimandr
12th November 2015, 12:15 AM
Are there any reliable reports from our friends in the West regarding the pitch.

The only report I read had quotes from the groundsman saying he was hoping it would be something like 'the good old days', meaning quick and lots of bounce.

Sometimes that has also meant no sideways movement, and nothing for anybody if good batsmen get set. Remember South Africa a few years ago?

It is almost unfair for New Zealand to be playing on that type of track. Their bowling isn't suited to bouncy wickets, so our bats might have another cakewalk.

Anyway, the last session each day might make good viewing after a hard day on South Australia's finest courses. I'll be watching.

coalesce
12th November 2015, 07:42 AM
It is almost unfair for New Zealand to be playing on that type of track. Their bowling isn't suited to bouncy wickets, so our bats might have another cakewalk.

Nothing wrong with home advantage. I'm sure Lehmann and co will not be complaining about it when it's in their favour

mrbluu
12th November 2015, 07:58 AM

Nothing wrong with home advantage. I'm sure Lehmann and co will not be complaining about it when it's in their favour
Better than the English and Indian's doctoring their pitches.

The English dish il green seaming wickets when Sri Lanka or India turn up on their shores and the same venue turn into dust bowls when Australia arrive.

When the Indians play Australia or England or SA they produce wickets were they open the bowing with spinners. Contrast that with when they Pakistan. Cos they don't want to lose to to Pakistan, they produce roads were 600 plays 650 for a draw.

3oneday
12th November 2015, 08:16 AM
Exactly what is an ideal pitch for a kiwi test team?

coalesce
12th November 2015, 08:22 AM

Probably a green seamer. Brings their bowlers into the game as the lateral movement makes up for the lack of pace - same as happened in England for the Ashes just gone

coalesce
12th November 2015, 08:22 AM

Or one with rugby posts :)

TheNuclearOne
12th November 2015, 10:29 AM
Probably a green seamer. Brings their bowlers into the game as the lateral movement makes up for the lack of pace - same as happened in England for the Ashes just gone

Green seamer helps them for sure but they will still (huge majority of the time) be missing the home type atmospheric conditions to really pile it on.

I think the Australian tracks have been pretty much the same for a long time now? Most have (been prepared to and) played pretty much to their signature i think.

AndyP
13th November 2015, 08:15 PM
LOL at New Zealand. Warner scores 200 in one day.

BenM
13th November 2015, 09:01 PM
I had the day off work today, was a great day to sit in front of the cricket.

That would be up in the top 5 test knocks I've watched. Ok maybe top 10.

backintheswing
13th November 2015, 09:19 PM
Really looking forward to Mitch Marsh batting tomorrow

PerryGroves
13th November 2015, 11:28 PM
I had the day off work today, was a great day to sit in front of the cricket.

That would be up in the top 5 test knocks I've watched. Ok maybe top 10.

Reminded me of the 200 my brother scored when my sister couldn't get it move around. FFS, sport needs to be a contest, where was Malcolm Marshall, Joel, Dale Steyn, Alan Donald or any of the Poms who could make you play and miss.

I don't want to diss Warner but top ten..............NO

LarryLong
13th November 2015, 11:45 PM
Reminded me of the 200 my brother scored when my sister couldn't get it move around. FFS, sport needs to be a contest, where was Malcolm Marshall, Joel, Dale Steyn, Alan Donald or any of the Poms who could make you play and miss.

I tend to agree - it was a bit monotonous, and almost impossible for the kiwis to find a spot to bowl where he couldn't score. Definitely one of the top ten boot-filling displays though - I wonder if Warner should now be counted amongst the pantheon of flat track bullies?

Although I did see him play and miss once. Matt Hayden wouldn't have done that.

TheNuclearOne
14th November 2015, 01:43 AM

He did actually say "i've watched".

Malcolm Marshall was incredible.

meh
14th November 2015, 09:36 AM
He did actually say "i've watched".

Malcolm Marshall was incredible.

PG is right. Or he hasn't watched much cricket.

TheNuclearOne
14th November 2015, 11:05 AM
PG is right. Or he hasn't watched much cricket.

Well it wouldn't be easy to find 10 better knocks in the last 20 or 30 years that someone has actually "watched" as in not just a bit here and a bit there.

NZ are bowling pretty ordinary and the tracks are great batting wickets but Warners innings shouldn't be underrated. Lets remember he is still going and could easily top 300 if he gets set again and he's already broken plenty of records.

Pretty sure it was chanceless?

meh
14th November 2015, 11:27 AM
Well it wouldn't be easy to find 10 better knocks in the last 20 or 30 years that someone has actually "watched" as in not just a bit here and a bit there.

NZ are bowling pretty ordinary and the tracks are great batting wickets but Warners innings shouldn't be underrated. Lets remember he is still going and could easily top 300 if he gets set again and he's already broken plenty of records.

Pretty sure it was chanceless?

So they are bowling pretty ordinary and it's a great batting wicket but it shouldn't be underrated?!? In other words, it can't get much easier but we still shouldn't underrate it.

TheNuclearOne
14th November 2015, 11:51 AM
So they are bowling pretty ordinary and it's a great batting wicket but it shouldn't be underrated?!? In other words, it can't get much easier but we still shouldn't underrate it.

The guys 244no, may have been chanceless and the innings is being cast aside somewhat. Hundreds of innings on great batting wickets against average bowling have come undone cheap.

Regardless of the bowling and wicket not many players in the last few decades could have done what Warner did yesterday. Warner's dominated the likes of Steyn as well at times. He knows how to get the job done.

BenM
14th November 2015, 02:13 PM
I have watched a fair bit of cricket but it's only natural to remember the more recent ones more clearly.

Marshall was fearsome and so was Ambrose. Watching our blokes bat against those guys was edge of your seat stuff.

markTHEblake
14th November 2015, 07:39 PM
Ordinary declaration by Steve Smith, Nathan Lyon was on fire with the bat.

TheNuclearOne
15th November 2015, 05:44 PM
Fastest bowling of the summer by Starc, he's in the groove. That catch hit Lyon in the gut before his hands were even there :O

TheNuclearOne
15th November 2015, 05:54 PM
160.4 WOW. No one can hang onto the edges off him. Most electrifying spell i have seen for quite some time.

Pieface
16th November 2015, 01:57 AM
Unless the pitch craps out spectacularly this has draw all over it. Cunning CA plan to have everyone desperate to see the cricket move to the new stadium!

Playing Taylor back into form may well bite us on the bum at Adelaide if McCullum can win a toss!

AndyP
16th November 2015, 02:47 AM
If the kiwis declare or get out, we'll see how daring Smith's captaincy is.

Cricket Australia won't even let me watch highlight snippets on twitter while I am OS. :(

meh
16th November 2015, 10:38 AM
Andy, bad luck about that. You missed one of the best 10 knocks in the last 30 years.

mrbluu
16th November 2015, 10:55 AM
If the kiwis declare or get out, we'll see how daring Smith's captaincy is.

Cricket Australia won't even let me watch highlight snippets on twitter while I am OS. :(
Did u try YouTube???

AndyP
16th November 2015, 10:59 AM
I didn't say that I couldn't access any video, but I like following it on twitter, where they show the clips of wickets and other highlights. It gives more of a feeling of seeing things as they happen.

mrbluu
16th November 2015, 11:22 AM
I didn't say that I couldn't access any video, but I like following it on twitter, where they show the clips of wickets and other highlights. It gives more of a feeling of seeing things as they happen.
Gotcha.

Yossarian
17th November 2015, 12:12 PM
Midge :(

mrbluu
17th November 2015, 04:04 PM
Midge :(
+1

Good on him for making the call. Shame he is retiring from all forms of cricket. Thought he would stick around to play state or at least 20/20 Cricket.

backintheswing
17th November 2015, 04:08 PM
Mitch Marsh, our new all rounder is going well with the bat.

Jarro
17th November 2015, 04:20 PM
Sad to see Johnson go .... love watching him play the game.

coalesce
17th November 2015, 04:25 PM
Obviously he will be a big loss for the Aussies, but Starc's spell over the weekend was a bit like the passing of the baton.

As a pom, I'll miss him - begrudingly for when he was good, he was top class, and for when he was not so good he was good entertainment for the barmy army :)

In a funny way, it may make the balance of the Aussie bowling attack better, and give Starc a defined role in it, which might in turn help him be more consistent. It may also increase the length of the Aussie tail (which isn't that long so may not be a problem).

Who should come in on what is likely to be another flat deck at Adelaide? Is Siddle next cab off the rank? Or will they try and get another all-rounder type player in such as Faulkner?

Jarro
17th November 2015, 05:30 PM
Obviously he will be a big loss for the Aussies, but Starc's spell over the weekend was a bit like the passing of the baton.

As a pom, I'll miss him - begrudingly for when he was good, he was top class, and for when he was not so good he was good entertainment for the barmy army :)

In a funny way, it may make the balance of the Aussie bowling attack better, and give Starc a defined role in it, which might in turn help him be more consistent. It may also increase the length of the Aussie tail (which isn't that long so may not be a problem).

Who should come in on what is likely to be another flat deck at Adelaide? Is Siddle next cab off the rank? Or will they try and get another all-rounder type player in such as Faulkner?

All the talk from the 'experts' suggest the Siddle should be the next in line.

TheNuclearOne
17th November 2015, 05:40 PM
Pattinson or Siddle for me. They may want to hold off a bit longer on Pattinson due to injury concerns.

Jarro
17th November 2015, 07:34 PM
Pattinson or Siddle for me. They may want to hold off a bit longer on Pattinson due to injury concerns.
And this is the big concern .... all the new kids on the block that are in line to make the sideare suffering from recurring injuries.

TheNuclearOne
17th November 2015, 09:30 PM
And this is the big concern .... all the new kids on the block that are in line to make the sideare suffering from recurring injuries.

True. Thankfully Starc has had a helluva good roll in recent history. Pretty frustrating, Pattinson was really building some confidence and pace around the Indian tour time and Cummins looked the goods right from the start. Such a shame.

AndyP
18th November 2015, 07:41 AM
There are some good highlight packages of Mitch J on this page: http://www.cricket.com.au/news/feature/mitchell-johnson-retires-2013-14-ashes-australia-england-whitewash-highlights/2015-11-17
Unfortunately, you will probably have to put up with Bet365 ads, but it is worth it.

I enjoyed watching him two weeks ago at the Gabba, and thought there was still some venom in his bowling, so it is disappointing to see him retire.

Jarro
18th November 2015, 06:13 PM
True. Thankfully Starc has had a helluva good roll in recent history. Pretty frustrating, Pattinson was really building some confidence and pace around the Indian tour time and Cummins looked the goods right from the start. Such a shame.

So Pattinson it is ... surely that must be the end of Siddles test career ?

mrbluu
18th November 2015, 06:17 PM
Why would it??? They are both in the squad.

TheNuclearOne
18th November 2015, 06:36 PM

Might be if Justin Langer has anything to do with it :D

coalesce
18th November 2015, 06:43 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see neither play and them go with 2 spinners. O'Keefe did well with the pink ball at Adelaide Oval last year and it's going to be pretty flat

Starc, Hazelwood, Marsh, Lyon and O'Keefe is not a bad attack on a deck that will be slow bowler friendly. Also an opportunity for Marsh to have more bowling responsibility

TheNuclearOne
18th November 2015, 07:05 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see neither play and them go with 2 spinners. O'Keefe did well with the pink ball at Adelaide Oval last year and it's going to be pretty flat

Starc, Hazelwood, Marsh, Lyon and O'Keefe is not a bad attack on a deck that will be slow bowler friendly. Also an opportunity for Marsh to have more bowling responsibility

Quite a few are tipping the twin spin attack. Why not.

jimandr
19th November 2015, 10:54 PM

The more I think about this, the more I am convincing myself that O'Keefe will play. It seems strange to bring him in, bearing in mind the prior knowledge of the drop-in wicket and the pink ball, if they weren't going to play him.

I'm not sold on Hazlewood as one of only two primary fasties though. I wonder if Siddle may be a better option on a super flat, possible spin friendly track. I think Hazlewood will miss having Johnson bowling fast at the other end.

On the subject of MJ, I always really admire guys who know when it is time to go, and don't hang on just for the money or glory. I liked it when he said he knew it was time when he started looking at the clock on a warm day and the team was getting nothing from the track.

I think history will remember him very well. He always had a go, and maintained his pace right to the end. We'll forget the wild days when he bowled over after over or half-tracker rubbish, but we'll never forget him against England here. He did some very good stuff against South Africa too.

3oneday
20th November 2015, 05:19 AM
They're leaving the pitch green to protect the ball? Could be interesting, doubt they'll play two spinners on a greentop plus they rarely move away from 3 quicks these days.

SundayHack
20th November 2015, 07:59 AM
How many more chances is S Marsh going to get?

AndyP
20th November 2015, 09:20 AM
Negative one.

mrbluu
20th November 2015, 10:35 AM
They're leaving the pitch green to protect the ball?

That's what I read as well.

I also read that they want to rest Hazelwood as he has done a lot of bowling in recent months so he will be right for the rest of the summer.

I would like to see Faulkner get a go, as I think he is a better bowler and batsman than M Marsh.

AndyP
20th November 2015, 07:27 PM
I also read that they want to rest Hazelwood as he has done a lot of bowling in recent months so he will be right for the rest of the summer.
Why rest him now? Is there something coming up that is more important than ensuring a test series victory? I don't like how they do this.

mrbluu
20th November 2015, 07:31 PM
Why rest him now? Is there something coming up that is more important than ensuring a test series victory? I don't like how they do this.
I don't like it either, but supposedly they are worried he will break down.

TheNuclearOne
20th November 2015, 10:10 PM

Haven't we effectively "won" the series already? We've retained the trophy.

Having said that every Test is an important one.

AndyP
20th November 2015, 10:59 PM
I don't think we'd be happy with a one all series draw, but retaining the trophy.

TheNuclearOne
20th November 2015, 11:04 PM
We wouldn't be happy losing any single match. I don't know, with the regular injuries going on it's a hard one. Interesting how Starc has played so much and had the odd niggle but they don't seem to want to rest him. He's bowled heaps too.

Pencil
20th November 2015, 11:19 PM
If Mark Craig was NZ´s first choice spinner I´d hate to know what there 2nd choice is like.

jimandr
25th November 2015, 10:03 PM
India v South Africa is showing on my TV at the moment, and it is very interesting cricket in a slightly perverse way.

The pitch is an absolute shocker. Day 1 and it looks like a day 5 track, and is playing even worse. India were all out 215, and only got there because the Saffers didn't bowl well and Morne Morkel has gone off injured. Ashwin and Jadeja will be very difficult to keep out.

One interesting thing was that the Indian TV had a Hawkeye image showing the speed of the ball out of the hand, when it bounced, and then as it passed the batsman. I haven't seen that before, and they only showed it once that I saw. The SA paceman bowled a bouncer out of the hand at 140, and it was 72 when it reached the batsman. Without any context it is hard to know what that means, but it would be very interesting to compare the same thing on a Perth wicket.

I haven't followed this series very closely, but I know it has been low scoring. I was still surprised to see that Faf Du Plessis has scored 1 run so far in the series.

Yossarian
26th November 2015, 12:17 AM
The lost four days in the second test so Faf would have only batted three times I think. The Indians take pitch preparation very seriously.

TheNuclearOne
27th November 2015, 02:09 AM
Good to see S.A. going about as well as we do on such a track. May have read lowest Test score in India. Edit - against India apparently.

coalesce
27th November 2015, 03:18 PM
Looks like this test is going to be on a flat pitch with a slow outfield. We might have to wait til several days in for it to get interesting... Or until it gets dark...

coalesce
27th November 2015, 05:18 PM
Or until NZ self destruct. Last 2 wickets (Taylor and McCullum) have been really ordinary shots.

TheNuclearOne
27th November 2015, 07:43 PM
N.Z. are extremely fortunate Starc went off.

jimandr
27th November 2015, 09:22 PM
Looks like this test is going to be on a flat pitch with a slow outfield. We might have to wait til several days in for it to get interesting... Or until it gets dark...

I think it has all been interesting so far. Much better than the 1 for 300 first days in Brisbane and Perth.

I'll be very interested in the post match comments regarding the ball. At first sight it appears to be doing a bit more than it should.

3oneday
27th November 2015, 09:35 PM
Wouldn't know, can't see it.

coalesce
28th November 2015, 04:34 PM
Aussie batsmen have made it look like a minefield in that first session. It's really not doing that much. Smith had been playing nicely, particularly with Nevill and then that horrible shot!

TheNuclearOne
28th November 2015, 07:43 PM
Didn't see it live but looks like some ordinary batting. Woeful ways to get out for both Marshes and if not for the utterly disgraceful Lyon decision we would have been in deep shit. Credit to Nevill and the tail despite the howler. Mitch Marsh needs to step up this innings as one of the all rounders roles is to shoulder some serious bowling responsibility when there is an injury. Needs some runs desperately too.

SundayHack
28th November 2015, 07:46 PM
Both Marsh failed again with the bat. No big surprise there though

Lagerlover
28th November 2015, 08:52 PM
Worst substitute fielder ever

KristianJ
28th November 2015, 09:10 PM
Boof's probably hoping it doesn't get to the stage where he has to do a subbing spell.

TheNuclearOne
29th November 2015, 05:46 PM
Good chance for the two Marshes to show why they are in the team here. Also a chance for Vogues to imprint himself more deeply into the side. Definitely in trouble, ball moving a bit and us doing the same old same old.

jimandr
29th November 2015, 09:32 PM
A victory in the end, but it was very hard work.

For a while the Marshes both looked like they could bat, but it didn't last long, and his cameo surely wasn't enough to keep M Marsh in the team.

Is Faulkner fit? If he is, I would pick him to replace M Marsh anyway. With Starc (and Johnson) out, I think some left arm variation will be needed.

Apart from the fact that it was a 3 day test, I think the pink ball experiment was a success. The players and cameras seemed to pick up the ball OK, and I don't think it is bad thing that it moved around a bit.

TheNuclearOne
29th November 2015, 09:56 PM
Is Faulkner fit? If he is, I would pick him to replace M Marsh anyway. With Starc (and Johnson) out, I think some left arm variation will be needed.

Faulkners scored about 105 runs in his 6 recent Shield innings. Bagged 9 wickets in those three games at around 28. He's couldn't be underperforming at a worse time.

3oneday
29th November 2015, 10:00 PM
Maccullum called it an experiment, probably a fair assessment. 3 day tests won't win many fans, nor sponsors.

mrbluu
29th November 2015, 10:06 PM
Maccullum called it an experiment, probably a fair assessment. 3 day tests won't win many fans, nor sponsors.
It's not as good as a day test but I actually liked it. Whilst 3 day test marches aren't great, they are better than shitty draws like we saw in Perth.

KristianJ
29th November 2015, 10:10 PM
There'll be a few 3 day tests coming up against the Windies, methinks...

Nevill needs to bat 6 regardless of what they do with the all rounder quandary. His efforts in the 1st innings were excellent.

3Puttpete
29th November 2015, 10:10 PM

Cricket Australia want to make tests 4 days. They'd rather 3 than 5 I reckon.

coalesce
29th November 2015, 10:31 PM
It would have been a 3 day test if you prepared a sporting wicket like that and had a day game. Modern techniques (or players chosen) don't seem prepared to graft it out when the ball is doing a bit (and whilst it was moving, it wasn't unplayable). Lots of batsmen gave their wicket away when set.

And even having said that, apparently it was a record total crowd for a non-Ashes test match in Adelaide, and that's even with it only lasting 3 days. We'll be seeing more of them.

Mitch Marsh looks more of a number 8 to me - bats more like a Mitchell Johnson. I wouldn't back him to regularly get 50s. Whilst I think his bowling is underrated, I'm not sure there aren't other bowlers who could do a job at 8. Swapping him and Nevill doesn't really solve anything - the team is still a batsman light. If there isn't an all-rounder genuinely worth their place, then don't play one - do you really need more than 4 bowlers against WI anyway? Could be a good time to blood a young batsman at 6, as I'm not convinced that Voges has much of a future either. Shaun Marsh has earned himself another game, at least until Khawaja is back.

With the next test 10 days away and Starc injured, will they go with Burns, Warner, Smith, Voges, S Marsh, M Marsh, Nevill, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Siddle, Lyon? Which other bowler will come into the squad? Will they also bring in another batting allrounder?

3oneday
29th November 2015, 10:41 PM
Won't matter against Windies. It'd be a struggle to get 3 full days.

3Puttpete
29th November 2015, 10:57 PM
Brisbane will have a day/night test possibly as soon as next year

coalesce
29th November 2015, 11:00 PM

Isn't it Pakistan and South Africa next year (not sure in which order). Would that bring the crowds flocking to the Gabba?

3Puttpete
29th November 2015, 11:02 PM
Isn't it Pakistan and South Africa next year (not sure in which order). Would that bring the crowds flocking to the Gabba?

I think the Poms bring them flocking. And then most of the flockers are Poms.

AndyP
30th November 2015, 08:15 AM
South Africa might, as they rarely play at the Gabba.

WBennett
30th November 2015, 08:53 AM

Doesn't Brisbane have an issue with afternoon thunderstorms in November? I can't imagine 9 wanting to show old highlights and 2 and a Half Men in primetime whilst another session is washed out.

Its one of the advantages of the Adelaide Oval this time of year - its warm, its dry, its perfect cricket weather

WBennett
30th November 2015, 08:55 AM
South Africa might, as they rarely play at the Gabba.

South Africa traditionally have a home series starting on Boxing Day so they will be 3 match series pre Christmas - the Brisbane/Perth-Hobart/Adelaide matches

TheNuclearOne
4th December 2015, 10:18 PM
S.A. getting pumped again. First away series loss in 9 years looks like being a big one.

mrbluu
5th December 2015, 07:14 PM
S.A. getting pumped again. First away series loss in 9 years looks like being a big one.
The Indians got the shits with England doctoring the pitches over there so they decided to take it out on SA. The ball was turning sideways from day one and opened the bowling with a spinner.

Awesome cricket.

TheNuclearOne
5th December 2015, 07:32 PM
The Indians got the shits with England doctoring the pitches over there so they decided to take it out on SA. The ball was turning sideways from day one and opened the bowling with a spinner.

Awesome cricket.

They reckon this pitch is a lot better than the last but S.A. are shell shocked now and even struggling with the medium pacers. I still remember the pitches they served up to us a few years back, jebus!

You'd think India have enough already the way things have gone but they will certainly chug along slowly (just over 2rpo) until S.A. are buried. Maybe they have a slog when they get closer to 400 ahead if things pan out for them.

Poor old Faf is averaging 8 for the series, woof, woof hahahaha

AndyP
5th December 2015, 09:45 PM
The touring WI side look like they will really take it up to the Australians in the coming weeks.

BenM
5th December 2015, 09:54 PM
The touring WI side look like they will really take it up to the Australians in the coming weeks.

In the cricket or in the post match drinking?

TheNuclearOne
6th December 2015, 06:50 PM
Amla 3 off 68 cherries at a S.R. under 5 haha. Wonder if he's thinking draw?

backintheswing
6th December 2015, 07:20 PM
I have been to the shield game, Qld vs NSW. 4 for 215 at stumps off 96 overs. Maybe this is why no-one goes when it's played at the city grounds. Dead set painfully slow batting by Qld.

3Puttpete
6th December 2015, 07:53 PM
I have been to the shield game, Qld vs NSW. 4 for 215 at stumps off 96 overs. Maybe this is why no-one goes when it's played at the city grounds. Dead set painfully slow batting by Qld.

Radio said the outfield was crap (for cricket/scoring). Any truth to it?

backintheswing
6th December 2015, 07:55 PM
The outfield is perfect. Just a touch long. It's a massive ground and a faster outfield may have given them 20 more runs, if that.

3Puttpete
6th December 2015, 08:01 PM
Fair enough. On the bright side they bowled 96 overs

backintheswing
6th December 2015, 08:18 PM
Yeah they did. NSW had 2 spinners who bowled a heap of overs, and combined with Qld not scoring, it was a day where a lot of overs for bowled.

AndyP
6th December 2015, 08:59 PM
The non-scoring in the Ind vs SA test is fairly gripping at times.

jimandr
6th December 2015, 09:36 PM
The non-scoring in the Ind vs SA test is fairly gripping at times.

It actually isn't too bad watching this on TV.

But it would be absolutely deadly to be at the ground, with no benefit of close-ups and slow motion replays to see what is going on. Being at the ground is great when strokes are being played, but it can be really dull when runs are not being scored.

There could be another day of this, which is hardly the type of cricket that brings the crowds in.

TheNuclearOne
6th December 2015, 09:46 PM
I think the excite will be in the result, can Amla, AB and the others hold out a bowling unit who are very dangerous on home turf? Can the bowlers think them out/set them up when they are in 100% defensive mode? To some it might be rivetting stuff. Not impossible that we might have a grandstand finish late on the 5th day.

LarryLong
7th December 2015, 09:08 AM
What would be more soul-destroying - bowling to A.B. when he wants to score quick runs, or bowling to him when he wants to score none at all?

Ditto Amla. He's brought up his double Cowan and he's showing no signs of putting the cue in the rack.

TheNuclearOne
7th December 2015, 11:31 AM
Apparently the pitch is getting easier vs harder too LOL

TheNuclearOne
9th December 2015, 02:27 PM
If his mates could have pushed a draw AB's 43 off 297 balls, an innings that occupied the crease for just a few minutes short of 6 hours may well have gone down as one of the great ones. Amla was near as resolute. Anyone know how much closer their series loss vs our series win narrowed the gap for top spot? Realistically we need to roll them head to head after our Pommie performances.

jimandr
10th December 2015, 10:51 AM
OK. Part 2 of the season has started.

The pitch doesn't appear to be as green as early reports suggested, but it still isn't easy, which is the way it should be.

The Windies bowling is adequate, but their batting is a real weakness.

The trouble with the buildup to this series is that the Windies have been downgraded so much that anything less than an Aussie thrashing will be considered a poor performance. Which probably isn't fair to either side.

EDIT: I'm changing my assessment of the pitch and the bowling. Suddenly it looks really easy. It could be another 1 for 400 day.

Yossarian
10th December 2015, 11:24 AM
No one has been bowled out first innings at Tassy this year. The wicket is great, the windies are terrible and anything other than us thrashing them is a poor performance. The lost to the CA XI but 10 wickets for crying out loud.

SundayHack
10th December 2015, 11:27 AM
Going at 6+ an over. Can't be to tough out there. Windies are a disgrace

Yossarian
10th December 2015, 12:36 PM
Joe Burns technique has some issues.

coalesce
10th December 2015, 12:39 PM
Really a disgrace? That seems a bit premature.

I would have thought the WI would be pretty happy at lunch having taken 3 wickets after losing the toss, particularly the "main men" Warner and Smith. So what they've conceded a few more runs than they'd have liked?

You've got to judge a test match on more than an hour of play and the warm up games that went previously

SundayHack
10th December 2015, 12:50 PM
When the teams 3 biggest names would prefer to be out here playing in our domestic big bash then play for their country. Yeah West Indian crickey is a disgrace

coalesce
10th December 2015, 01:03 PM
Neat change of argument there

Ashes
10th December 2015, 01:05 PM
When the teams 3 biggest names would prefer to be out here playing in our domestic big bash then play for their country. Yeah West Indian crickey is a disgrace

The West Indies is a country now?

SundayHack
10th December 2015, 01:11 PM
Neat change of argument there
You like that.

Moe Norman
10th December 2015, 01:14 PM

That's not the preference of the players. the WICB are choosing not to select them, they aren't choosing not to play

SundayHack
10th December 2015, 01:16 PM
That's not the preference of the players. the WICB are choosing not to select them, they aren't choosing not to play
Well West Indian cricket is a shambles.

AndyP
10th December 2015, 02:33 PM
Well West Indian cricket is a shambles.
and a disgrace.

Yossarian
10th December 2015, 02:48 PM
Really a disgrace? That seems a bit premature.

I would have thought the WI would be pretty happy at lunch having taken 3 wickets after losing the toss, particularly the "main men" Warner and Smith. So what they've conceded a few more runs than they'd have liked?

You've got to judge a test match on more than an hour of play and the warm up games that went previously

Can we judge it now?

TheNuclearOne
10th December 2015, 02:55 PM
Joe Burns technique has some issues.

He'll be under pressure as an opener sometime before the end of the NZ tour i'm thinking. I like him more in the middle order but he's definitely got a couple of things to iron out. Hard to do that an as opener.

3oneday
10th December 2015, 03:07 PM
This disgraceful yet?

AndyP
10th December 2015, 03:18 PM
You've gotta love S Marsh making runs. He is the future.

Yossarian
10th December 2015, 03:23 PM

I am in no way a SOS fan but he is only 32. If he has finally got his head sorted there is no reason he can't play for 4 or 5 years. Big if.

Windies overrate is disgraceful.
Body language terrible.

Steve57
10th December 2015, 03:23 PM
Can we judge it now?
Must be getting close!

Steve57
10th December 2015, 03:24 PM
50 overs in 2 sessions.
Going to be a long series at this rate!

TheNuclearOne
10th December 2015, 03:26 PM

Just hope he doesn't go back to his almost unlimited penchant for single figure scoring.

TheNuclearOne
10th December 2015, 03:27 PM
Must be getting close!

Looks like they haven't changed since the 80's, and with some spin to boot!

coalesce
10th December 2015, 03:46 PM
Can we judge it now?

Probably can now. If Voges and Smarsh are getting runs, they must be the worst team ever in the history of cricket :)

Yossarian
10th December 2015, 04:01 PM
Pretty harsh on Voges there!

Yossarian
10th December 2015, 05:22 PM
I just want this to end.

simmsy
10th December 2015, 06:11 PM
worst summer of cricket ever.

AndyP
10th December 2015, 06:49 PM
The West Indies are making themselves candidates for Darwin/Cairns tests like Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

3oneday
10th December 2015, 07:56 PM
worst summer of cricket ever.really worst summer ever? That seems a bit premature.

Jarro
10th December 2015, 08:05 PM
A bit of payback for the floggings Lloyd/Richards and Co. handed us during those long summers in the 80's

Yossarian
11th December 2015, 11:49 AM
Officially a disgrace?

BenM
11th December 2015, 12:00 PM
Their bowling attack has lacked venom and their fielding has been lacklustre. I wouldn't call them a disgrace though.

Yossarian
11th December 2015, 12:40 PM
I would.

coalesce
11th December 2015, 12:59 PM
Hasn't helped them being down a bowler, but that happens.

What will the selectors do when Khawaja is fit again now Voges and Marsh have filled their boots? 6 genuine batsmen and get rid of the last Mitch standing?

SundayHack
11th December 2015, 01:01 PM
Wouldn't be the first time Australia have dump someone after make a big ton.

backintheswing
11th December 2015, 01:05 PM
Shuan Marsh out, Khawaja back in.

3Puttpete
11th December 2015, 01:06 PM
Burns out. Khawaja in

backintheswing
11th December 2015, 01:11 PM
Burns averaging low 40's compared to Marsh averaging low 30's. I know who I would rather have.

Yossarian
11th December 2015, 01:14 PM
I agree but that score will make it tough to punt him.

Ashes
11th December 2015, 01:19 PM
I think S Marsh would go before Burns. There are question marks over Burns as an opener but SMarsh has the same issues.

One of the Marsh bros will go.

TheNuclearOne
11th December 2015, 01:24 PM
They have plenty of options, not many of them perfect lol.

Kwaka could simply have to wait. They could bang on about wanting him 100% fit and not rushing him yada, yada. They love Marsh and his last couple of innings might not have him far behind Kwaka, rightly or wrongly.

Simply ease S.Marsh out as last one in first one out.

Drop Burns and open with SOS. Unfair on Burns at this stage, lose right/left combo and likely fast track SOS nicking off and compiling an array single figure scores.

Drop Mitch and play 6 bats like most. Not the least likely scenario given he's scored no runs however the selectors crave an all rounder like Bluuey craves a good solid early "DIBS" :D and he has taken some very good wickets.

Play Mitch Marsh as a bowler and drop him further down the order. Not implausible given his bowling efforts and the fact quite a few are broken down.

Given the ridiculously easy batting wickets and poor opposition it probably doesn't matter short term which will likely allow Mitch Marsh to stay in somewhere. Actually the flat tracks might lean the way of an extra bowler in the all rounder just in case.

SundayHack
11th December 2015, 03:06 PM
4/78.

sms316
11th December 2015, 04:48 PM
Wouldn't be the first time Australia have dump someone after make a big ton. Jason Gillespie never played another test after scoring an unbeaten double century.

AndyP
11th December 2015, 04:52 PM
Bring back Brad Hodge!

3oneday
11th December 2015, 05:39 PM
Doesn't matter, NZ followed by WI, might as well stick the NSW Second 11 in.

Boxing day should be awesome.

Hatchman
11th December 2015, 05:46 PM
4/78.

So they're putting up a fight [emoji33].
And people were suggesting they'll get belted ........oh hang on[emoji12]

KristianJ
12th December 2015, 09:21 AM
Someone on the books at Sky Sport in En Zed is a clever dick (pun intended...)

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/11/b7b2888e6d69c6a5cbca79a1a5b7c77e.jpg

Steve57
12th December 2015, 11:50 AM
I think we are safe to say now that the West Indian cricket team's performance is a disgrace!
This will be over before lunch at this rate.

Steve57
12th December 2015, 12:07 PM
Tubby says they are in disarray. I prefer disgrace!

G.K
12th December 2015, 12:07 PM
I think we are safe to say now that the West Indian cricket team's performance is a disgrace!
This will be over before lunch at this rate.

I second this notion.

BenM
12th December 2015, 01:00 PM
OK. Now I will say they are a disgrace.