PDA

View Full Version : Lessons in Sydney

awhc
30th September 2015, 12:50 PM
I am looking to find a coach in Sydney, do you guys have any good recommendation?

I live in Kingsford down near the Sydney airport. But will be happy to travel to get a good coach.

I usually go Moore Park, Thornleigh or Barton Park driving range.

jocker
30th September 2015, 12:57 PM
I am looking to find a coach in Sydney, do you guys have any good recommendation?

I live in Kingsford down near the Sydney airport. But will be happy to travel to get a good coach.

Scott Davis at Moore Park is great. Very easy to talk to, good communicator and helped me!

Captain Nemo
30th September 2015, 01:37 PM

Where about, I'm in Kingsford!
(did i sell you a putter a while back??)
Anyway, the guys out at St Micks are good, John Serhan etc...
I was seeing Robbie Curtis but he has since moved to Moore park, he has the latest Trackman.
I now see (very infrequently) Chris Small at the Lakes.
Denise Hutton is at Barton Park, Toppy see's her and she's got a good wrap from him?

Grunt
30th September 2015, 02:32 PM
Another at The Lakes I would recommend is Charles Kares

Haystacks
1st October 2015, 06:16 AM
Another at The Lakes I would recommend is Charles Kares

Is your golf a good indicator of the coach's ability? ;)

Dotty
1st October 2015, 06:28 AM
Is your golf a good indicator of the coach's ability? ;)
I didn't think King Haystacks could see Grunt's golf from his lofty throne. :)

Haystacks
1st October 2015, 06:30 AM
I didn't think King Haystacks could see Grunt's golf from his lofty throne. :)

It's a tough gig this Champ thing...

Grunt
1st October 2015, 06:58 AM
I never said I used them. I am not a sadist.

Panda
1st October 2015, 08:19 AM
Creepy....I also live in Kingsford 8)

I see Scott on a weekly basis. Great guy, knows his stuff and is super popular. Only downfall is that he often gets booked out during the week. A week in advance will usually secure you a popular spot though.

As mentioned by Nemo, Robbie has a good rep. I read before some people recommended Ramon as well

http://www.sydneygolfacademy.com/our-coaches

IMO really depends on your style of learning and what you are trying to get out of the lesson(s). We should do a Kingsford game one day ;)

mrbluu
1st October 2015, 08:36 AM
Creepy....I also live in Kingsford 8)

I see Scott on a weekly basis. Great guy, knows his stuff and is super popular. Only downfall is that he often gets booked out during the week. A week in advance will usually secure you a popular spot though.

As mentioned by Nemo, Robbie has a good rep. I read before some people recommended Ramon as well

http://www.sydneygolfacademy.com/our-coaches

IMO really depends on your style of learning and what you are trying to get out of the lesson(s). We should do a Kingsford game one day ;)
Why would u need to see your coach on a weekly basis???

3Puttpete
1st October 2015, 08:43 AM
It's a tough gig this Champ thing...

It's ok Champ, you're doing well.

Haystacks
1st October 2015, 08:47 AM
It's ok Champ, you're doing well.

I think it's all due to your lessons in humility, Champ.

Panda
1st October 2015, 08:51 AM
Why would u need to see your coach on a weekly basis???

Coz I'm new and sh*t brah 8-)

Also I am a uni student so get to play almost everyday of the week, work on my game etc.

mrbluu
1st October 2015, 08:52 AM
Coz I'm new and sh*t brah 8-)

Also I am a uni student so get to play almost everyday of the week, work on my game etc.
What I mean is a week is not enough time for u to have practiced what he taught u. Seems like a bit of a waste of money.

Panda
1st October 2015, 09:32 AM
What I mean is a week is not enough time for u to have practiced what he taught u. Seems like a bit of a waste of money.

Can't say for others but for me I feel its because I'm so new to the game; I learn new things AND develop bad habits a lot more quickly than others. I held my first golf club a little under 4months ago so the 'ironing out' period has been a bit more extreme these past few months. It actually use to be twice a week :wink:

I do agree with the practising comment. Without the almost everyday day playing, chipping and range sessions, it would definitely be a waste to see the coach so frequently. I should clarify that my "weekly basis" comment is by no means a rigid schedule. I'll cancel/add lessons depending on my inexperienced judgement on personal performance and needs at the particular time.

As I am beginning my final uni internship next week (full time teacher), the amount of time I get to play will be drastically reduced. Subsequently, I also expect my visits with the coach to drop as well.

mrbluu
1st October 2015, 09:49 AM
Can't say for others but for me I feel its because I'm so new to the game; I learn new things AND develop bad habits a lot more quickly than others. I held my first golf club a little under 4months ago so the 'ironing out' period has been a bit more extreme these past few months. It actually use to be twice a week :wink:

I do agree with the practising comment. Without the almost everyday day playing, chipping and range sessions, it would definitely be a waste to see the coach so frequently. I should clarify that my "weekly basis" comment is by no means a rigid schedule. I'll cancel/add lessons depending on my inexperienced judgement on personal performance and needs at the particular time.

As I am beginning my final uni internship next week (full time teacher), the amount of time I get to play will be drastically reduced. Subsequently, I also expect my visits with the coach to drop as well.
I can highly recommend videoing your practice sessions to see what u are actually doing vs feel.

awhc
22nd October 2015, 11:09 PM
So I am probably going to try out Moore Park. Either Scott Davis or Rob Curtis. But I saw Scott had a broken arm when I went to Moore Park a month ago. Wonder if that will affect his teaching.

jocker
23rd October 2015, 08:44 AM
So I am probably going to try out Moore Park. Either Scott Davis or Rob Curtis. But I saw Scott had a broken arm when I went to Moore Park a month ago. Wonder if that will affect his teaching.

Went to him yesterday. He is fine. I

Kaniss
23rd October 2015, 11:29 AM
Any of you guys had a lesson with Luke at Milperra? how is he?

peteerb
19th December 2015, 07:46 PM
A little bit delayed but...
I had a lesson with Bobby Walia at St Michaels for 1 hour ($70 thanks to a voucher from crazy golf deals) last month. Helped me a lot compared to 2 previous lessons I had recently had. Videos your swing, tells you what's wrong, helps fixes it, then videos a better swing.