PDA

View Full Version : Average players distances

magman
29th September 2015, 11:00 AM
I think all these years i have been smashing the ball too hard. I need to slow it down and play conservatly.

What is the average distances for say a player playing off 10, from wedge, mid irons, long irons and woods.

Daves
29th September 2015, 11:04 AM
Plenty of data out there. Here are a few references;

http://blog.trackmangolf.com/performance-of-the-average-male-amateur/

http://golf.about.com/od/beginners/fl/Golf-Club-Distances.htm

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-know-which-golf-club-to-use.html

http://www.golflink.com/tips_5459_average-distance-each-golf-club.html (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-know-which-golf-club-to-use.html)

benno_r
29th September 2015, 11:15 AM
Depends really.

7i hit flush. 150m
7i knifed. 165m

stopper
29th September 2015, 11:16 AM
I should try knifing all my irons then to get those extra 15 metres.

stopper
29th September 2015, 11:16 AM
Are we talking carry or total?

benno_r
29th September 2015, 11:57 AM
Are we talking carry or total?

Flushed is total - allow 150 carry, 5 run out.
Knifed - 50% carry! :lol:

jimandr
29th September 2015, 03:35 PM
The links Daves posted tell most of the story. I really liked the trackman article.

There is no typical golfer, so there is no typical distance a golfer should achieve. Of course, the typical internet golfer usually hits it 300 plus (but I wasn't hitting it well the day you saw me).

Everyone wants more distance. If they didn't, golf club manufacturers would go out of business, and discussion sites like us wouldn't have anything to talk about.

I'm at less distance than the mythical average, but have a slightly better handicap. More distance is more fun, but accuracy and consistency are the keys to better scores.

However, I think I might head to the practice fairway to practice knifing shots. The trouble is, in my experience knifing drivers doesn't generate the extra distance I need.

Hatchman
29th September 2015, 04:10 PM
The links Daves posted tell most of the story. I really liked the trackman article.

There is no typical golfer, so there is no typical distance a golfer should achieve. Of course, the typical internet golfer usually hits it 300 plus (but I wasn't hitting it well the day you saw me).

Everyone wants more distance. If they didn't, golf club manufacturers would go out of business, and discussion sites like us wouldn't have anything to talk about.

I'm at less distance than the mythical average, but have a slightly better handicap. More distance is more fun, but accuracy and consistency are the keys to better scores.

However, I think I might head to the practice fairway to practice knifing shots. The trouble is, in my experience knifing drivers doesn't generate the extra distance I need.

Distance control is some what harder to control when knifing/gutting it :lol:. No good for carrying over trees and what ever other obstacle is not on the fairway :lol:. Not much good for carrying green side bunkers and getting it to stay on either :lol:

magman
29th September 2015, 05:21 PM
Dave thanks for those links.

Stopped at the range this arvo on the way home, slowed down and relaxed my swing a lot and it made a huge difference in accuracy and consistency to my irons, hybrid and 3 wood. Struggled a bit slowing the driver, found i was coming over the top or if i shortened my swing i would slice. Did get a few that i hit nicely and distance wise they wernt that far off when i do try and crush the ball

markTHEblake
29th September 2015, 06:56 PM
is the average distances for say a player playing off 10, from wedge, mid irons, long irons and woods.
Depends, I am a scrawny runt excuse of a man, yet a body builder ex ice hockey player mate of mine who can bench 150, but cant get within 50 metres of my drives, because he hits the ball like a pansy.

But if you want something to aim for, If you can hit a 7 iron 130m you are doing better than most of the world.

goughy
29th September 2015, 07:17 PM
Mtb is sneaky long. Even watching your shots, they don't really look like they're gonna go that far yet once you get to them you realise you really get it out there. And consistently too. Not like me who can have 150mtrs difference between a good and bad drive :(

Richo1
15th December 2015, 04:25 PM
Growing up my dad taught me that 5 iron should go 150m. When I began getting better I starting making bad swings hitting everything soft because "5 iron should go 150m". I now hit 8 iron 150m. Everyone has their own distances. Know your game not someone else's. That is the only way to play good golf.

goughy
15th December 2015, 05:08 PM
There is no typical golfer, so there is no typical distance a golfer should achieve..

Corey Pavin won a major. Nuff said!

(I wouldn't be saying that if I could regularly drive it 250, or 240, or 230, or 220 or..................)

goughy
15th December 2015, 05:14 PM
And you have to take into account the type of club, the loft etc etc.

Courty
15th December 2015, 06:56 PM
I think all these years i have been smashing the ball too hard. I need to slow it down and play conservatly.

What is the average distances for say a player playing off 10, from wedge, mid irons, long irons and woods.

The actual numbers are irrelevant. As long as your distances are reasonably consistent, you've got something to work with. To get consistent distances, you need consistent, solid contact. If your swing is too long, or you're going too hard at the ball, your contact goes out the window. Swing at 80%, and concentrate on making a smooth swing 'through' the ball, not 'at' the ball.

Daves
15th December 2015, 09:25 PM
The actual numbers are irrelevant. As long as your distances are reasonably consistent, you've got something to work with. To get consistent distances, you need consistent, solid contact. If your swing is too long, or you're going too hard at the ball, your contact goes out the window. Swing at 80%, and concentrate on making a smooth swing 'through' the ball, not 'at' the ball.

Exactly. As someone who plays different irons each week, I have to adjust to different loft set ups. I don't have a distance, but I do know how far I usually hit each club. And I do know how to extract a little extra, or a little less. Execution is the only variable really.