PDA

View Full Version : SA: Public Holiday- Monday 5th Oct.

wazamac
24th September 2015, 05:13 PM
Hi Guys,

Anyone out there interested in a hit somewhere?
I think we have the Masters games on at the Vines.

Chilled
24th September 2015, 08:09 PM
I definitely would be there mate but I'm up in the Riverland playing the courses up there over the long weekend. Sorry!

thecollective
24th September 2015, 08:19 PM
I would be available - perhaps we could do Flaggy

wazamac
24th September 2015, 08:29 PM
I'm not fussed where. I will go anywhere for a hit (just not back to Mt. Barker):D

Chilled
24th September 2015, 09:04 PM
Someone is motivated now after his 39 at the vines :D

coalesce
24th September 2015, 09:16 PM
I think just Sunday for me over the long weekend

Hard_Pan
24th September 2015, 09:17 PM
Half price green fees at Victor until November..

That said, I'm not as yet sure what the family's plans are for that weekend.

If I'm free, I'd also be keen for a hit anywhere. Will post again when I know.

Hatchman
24th September 2015, 10:09 PM
It's unlikely I'll have the day free, much disapoint.

thecollective
24th September 2015, 11:22 PM
Victor would work for me

Lagerlover
25th September 2015, 04:37 AM
I'm out.

Sorry guys.

wazamac
25th September 2015, 08:38 AM
Someone is motivated now after his 39 at the vines :D

Motivated yes, trying to play enough games to anchor -YES!:D

Hatchman
25th September 2015, 09:33 AM
I'm not fussed where. I will go anywhere for a hit (just not back to Mt. Barker):D

Maybe we should all go back there as we all couldn't possibly play worse than we did in the scramble.?

Na, only joking. [emoji12]

wazamac
25th September 2015, 01:14 PM
I'd be happy with Victor. Another course to tick off the list.

thecollective
25th September 2015, 03:24 PM
what time would suit you Waza?

wazamac
25th September 2015, 03:46 PM
8:30-9:00 sound good. Earlier the better I think.

thecollective
25th September 2015, 03:58 PM
1/2 price green fee only applicable for Fridays or Sundays; if you're a Drummond Member you get the guest rate which is $38 from memory

TC

wazamac
25th September 2015, 04:01 PM
I'm a member of drummonds, don't know why? but I am.

thecollective
25th September 2015, 04:02 PM
I left a msg on the pro shop answering machine - will book it in for 8:30 Monday morning.

The course is very nice in the mornings particularly during this time of year

TC

wazamac
25th September 2015, 06:33 PM
Will wait to hear. Cheers

Hard_Pan
25th September 2015, 09:02 PM
I'm in for Victor - DG member also :roll:.

thecollective
25th September 2015, 10:15 PM
one spot left.............

call to arms croweaters

TC

nadg63
26th September 2015, 02:54 PM
:(

marcel
26th September 2015, 08:17 PM
Working

thecollective
27th September 2015, 03:02 PM
Just spoke with the pro shop,

They have a Canadian Foursomes private comp on all weekend leaving the mornings out of action

We have the choice of Sunday or Monday at 1:15PM onwards to book

Just bear in mind that daylight savings commences that weekend as well so I would be happy to play Sunday late arvo.

1/2 price green fee offer is available on Sunday

Let me know your thoughts

TC

Hard_Pan
27th September 2015, 03:08 PM
I'm still good with Monday and possibly Sunday (if the cards call that way), TC. Keep us updated mate.

Hatchman
27th September 2015, 03:25 PM
Just spoke with the pro shop,

They have a Canadian Foursomes private comp on all weekend leaving the mornings out of action

We have the choice of Sunday or Monday at 1:15PM onwards to book

Just bear in mind that daylight savings commences that weekend as well so I would be happy to play Sunday late arvo.

1/2 price green fee offer is available on Sunday

Let me know your thoughts

TC

That's a bit un fair you can't play because your not Canadian :razz:

thecollective
27th September 2015, 06:11 PM
That's a bit un fair you can't play because your not Canadian :razz:

u know I might just be ey

Lagerlover
27th September 2015, 06:16 PM
Just read that Victor is the birthplace of the ambrose.

3Puttpete
27th September 2015, 07:09 PM
Just read that Victor is the birthplace of the ambrose.

And it died at Nudgee today. Chopper

wazamac
28th September 2015, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately on the weekend, I've come to the conclusion that I can't make it around 18 without being able to walk afterwards.
My foot problem is getting worse. Sunday arvo is probably out for me. Monday a possibility but will need a cart.

Hard_Pan
28th September 2015, 09:44 AM
That's no good waz! I remember you mentioning something about this before with a number of people suggesting remedies. That said, I get a bit of pain down the base of my right foot when I wear soft soled shoes but it goes away when I wear shoes with stiff soles.

thecollective
28th September 2015, 10:00 AM
Waza: Victor have carts so will be no dramas there - plus the terrain is quite flat - totally up to you if you're still in

Let me know if Monday is still a goer; I suggest probably 2PM tee off to avoid catching the Canadians

Cheers, TC

wazamac
28th September 2015, 10:04 AM
I'll be resigning my membership today but still want to play the odd social here and there. Doc says it could take up to 6 months to get rid of it.
Still play in the champs but may have to get a cart if it flares up during.
Will re- join when it gets better. What club I don't know yet? Will have a look around to see what's on offer at that time.

thecollective
28th September 2015, 10:12 AM
I'll be resigning my membership today but still want to play the odd social here and there. Doc says it could take up to 6 months to get rid of it.
Will re- join when it gets better. What club I don't know yet? Will have a look around to see what's on offer at that time.

Ok Waza, I will be down at Victor Sunday and Monday and playing the course both days - give me a hoy if you can make it either day. Sunday round will be twilight - probably start around 4ish

HP: Let me know if you're in Monday 2PM

Cheers, TC

wazamac
28th September 2015, 10:18 AM
Monday 2pm is good. Can I get a cart?

Hard_Pan
28th September 2015, 11:40 AM
Monday 2pm is good for me!

Hatchman
28th September 2015, 11:51 AM
You may struggle to get a cart that late as they usually want them back by a certain time so the can lock up and go home.

thecollective
28th September 2015, 12:33 PM
Managed to get trusty ol' Des on the phone (been there a VERY long time!).

He said to rock up about 12:30PM and he will get us out earlier.

They need the cart back by 4:30-5ish so if we keep it to 4 hours we will be fine. I noted we did not want to end up the guts of the Canadian foursomes but ol' Des reckons they should be cleared by 12:30.

I have booked a party of 3 with a cart - im happy to walk and/or tandem share with HP - My carry golf bag is tiny so I can fit clubs/bum and all in the passenger side.

TC

Hard_Pan
28th September 2015, 12:48 PM
Good work TC!! No probs, happy to walk the course myself.

coalesce
28th September 2015, 01:43 PM

What have you done?

wazamac
28th September 2015, 02:51 PM
Its called Planter Fasciitis. I've had it now for a few months and on strong anti-iflammatories but not getting any better until I keep off of it. That, and I'm swinging like a turd made my decision a bit easier. I
don't know what to do about membership as I want to keep a handicap but don't want to pay out the money whilst not playing regularly. I may look at Flexi.

thecollective
28th September 2015, 02:53 PM
Waza: (not to stray you away from the Vines but) Blackwood have a good casual membership offer around $600.

Also Glenelg Pinehill would be worth looking at - both allow you to keep the handicap

TC

wazamac
28th September 2015, 03:06 PM
Flexi at the Vines is $550 and works on a points system but there are a couple of small things at the vines that are pissing me off. State of the bunkers and the laughable 17th hole ( where a good drive will always end up dead under a gum tree)

coalesce
28th September 2015, 03:16 PM
Its called Planter Fasciitis. I've had it now for a few months and on strong anti-iflammatories but not getting any better until I keep off of it. That, and I'm swinging like a turd made my decision a bit easier. I
don't know what to do about membership as I want to keep a handicap but don't want to pay out the money whilst not playing regularly. I may look at Flexi.

I downgraded to flexi. The amount I play it is slightly cheaper, and I had kind of left it too late to look at alternate courses anyway.

I'm going to guess you already have, but have you tried orthotics? I used to get a throbbing pain in my heels and calves for hours after having played, and replaced the insole in my golf shoes with a set of these http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/55733/Orthaheel-Workforce-Large and I don't have that problem anymore. Now I can fall asleep on the sofa after a game without the throbbing keeping me awake :)

nadg63
28th September 2015, 04:50 PM

Dropping like flies! I resigned from The Vines also, last week - obviously due to my knee.

wazamac
28th September 2015, 07:03 PM
I downgraded to flexi. The amount I play it is slightly cheaper, and I had kind of left it too late to look at alternate courses anyway.

I'm going to guess you already have, but have you tried orthotics? I used to get a throbbing pain in my heels and calves for hours after having played, and replaced the insole in my golf shoes with a set of these http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/55733/Orthaheel-Workforce-Large and I don't have that problem anymore. Now I can fall asleep on the sofa after a game without the throbbing keeping me awake :)

My doc said to that a podiatrist will be a last resort. Other thing I can get is ultrasound to break down all of the scared tissue. I have a small one at home from when I used to do Athletics, so I will try that.

Hard_Pan
2nd October 2015, 09:04 PM
I'm going to be offline from about lunch time tomorrow until hitoff (Monday 12:30), so I'm just checking all is still good for those going.. :)

thecollective
2nd October 2015, 09:09 PM
I'm going to be offline from about lunch time tomorrow until hitoff (Monday 12:30), so I'm just checking all is still good for those going.. :)

See you there Hard Pan!

TC

Hard_Pan
2nd October 2015, 09:39 PM
Indeed! Cheers, TC.

wazamac
3rd October 2015, 12:37 PM
Will see you there guys. Looking forward to it. Will be be my last hit prior to champs.

Hatchman
5th October 2015, 11:19 AM
Enjoy. At least it will be a little cooler down there than it is out North.

Hatchman
6th October 2015, 10:47 AM
How did everyone go?
Herd there was a tree down blocking the road in Victor. Who's errant tee shot was responsible?

Hard_Pan
6th October 2015, 11:58 AM
That would've been the wind Hatch.. of which there was plenty! That, plus the (what felt like), near 40 deg heat (very odd of Victor even in the midst of Summer), made for a tough day on the course for all and sundry. 26 points for moi but could've have been much better if not for 3 lost balls on the front 9.

Aside from the wind and the heat, the course is in top condition. The fairways were all well looked after and very even in condition (no dead/rough patches). I found the greens receptive (except for maybe the 17th where I managed to make the green with a 150m shot out of a culvert only to watch it slowly trickle 20 feet off the green and down a long slope into semi-rough), and quite nice (for me), but I recall TC rating them as a bit slow. That said, he also mentioned they would be top notch and in their prime come comp time.

Having never played there before waza and I relied on TC's inside knowledge which served us really well as there's a couple of hidden traps about the place but otherwise, it's a very friendly and inviting course that really rewards good shot making. My person favourites the 12th par 5 which I managed to par despite the wind blowing my tee shot onto the adjacent fairway and the 15th, which is just a great hole to play.

wazamac
6th October 2015, 01:14 PM
Bloody windy!!!!! Managed a measly 24 points. Loved the Greens.
Thought the day was going to be good with a par to start then slowly disintigrated, mainly in the bunkers.
Could not get a handle on the sand and having to punch through to get it out.
Still coming up and out of the drives which is putting me on the back foot right from the start.
Only hit two good drives for the day and both of them ran out and into the swamp.
Will definitley be ringing the pro today to book lessons to see if I can get rid of the wood chop.

thecollective
6th October 2015, 08:23 PM
Just got back from Victor...

Thanks for the hit and giggle guys - I was using my backup holiday set so with no comp on took the opportunity to work on a few sore points and continue to re-build my new swing. Hit one of my longest drives ever thanks to staying on plane and resisting the over the top move that has been with me since inception. Other than that my game was pretty ordinary. Swing changes certainly are taking their time to stick.

Was stuck in the carpark after the game for 1.5 hours with a bust ignition barrel on my company's old Commodore Station Wagon; lucky the tow truck was close by - looking forward to getting the CRV back!

Sad to hear that (after reading the clubs newsletter) they are in financial trouble at present. They owe the bank a long term debt and with rising costs and falling green fee traffic & membership have no long term solution to combat this. Apparently only 40% of its available green fee times are being utilised.

However what certainly does not help is when the club decides to book out the entire weekend with some old fart Canadian foursome comp! When we turned up we were bluntly warned by some old giza that there were two more comps to tee off before us - of course both groups were no where to be seen - then Des came out and said go. Funny that after two holes they all gave up leaving us with the entire course to ourselves.

They have also stopped the Drummond Club discount making it a $48 green fee round. Whilst I understand that they need every dollar right now it is a big ask for the local recreational golfer to pay that much for a hit and giggle.

40 km's up the road is Willunga GC; a quality public golf course that offers a comp for the members and social access most times. I would estimate that this club uses about 80-90% of its green fee time slots. It is a overly friendly place and packed to the rafters with social recreational golfers.

Perhaps VHGC need to re-think their business model.

TC

nadg63
6th October 2015, 08:34 PM
Noticed it was a northerly yesterday, the only time Victor Harbor GC suffers from the heat, any other direction for the wind and it can be around 10* cooler than Adelaide - unlucky guys.

As for your comment about financial troubles TC, it doesn't help when the majority of their membership are retirees, (Victor isn't known as God's waiting room for nothing! During a round just take in the amount of 'Dedicated to .... ' benches scattered around the course), who do not want a Sunday Comp, or many others during the week; they're quite happy with the Saturday only at the weekend - been like that for years. It's a shame it is in difficulties as it is one of the better courses in my opinion, and of a better standard than the others in it's vicinity: McCracken, Willunga, South Lakes and even Mt Compass.

thecollective
6th October 2015, 08:39 PM
Noticed it was a northerly yesterday, the only time Victor Harbor GC suffers from the heat, any other direction for the wind and it can be around 10* cooler than Adelaide - unlucky guys.

As for your comment about financial troubles TC, it doesn't help when the majority of their membership are retirees, (Victor isn't known as God's waiting room for nothing! During a round just take in the amount of 'Dedicated to .... ' benches scattered around the course), who do not want a Sunday Comp, or many others during the week; they're quite happy with the Saturday only at the weekend - been like that for years. It's a shame it is in difficulties as it is one of the better courses in my opinion, and of a better standard than the others in it's vicinity: McCracken, Willunga, South Lakes and even Mt Compass.

You make a good point Nadg - the club needs to realise it is not 1978 anymore and even its recent changes are still 10 years behind the 8 ball when it comes to attracting more business. I agree it is a top golf course - particularly in terms of its conditioning and would be a real shame to see it end up in Fleurieu GC territory.

TC

Hatchman
6th October 2015, 09:39 PM
That's sad to hear Victor is in some financial trouble and does sound like the typical club full of old fuddy duddies trying desperately to cling to the golden days where it was ok to keep the course predominately exclusive for members to use as little as they saw fit. Wake up you old farts. We no longer live in those times, they are long gone. Back then there was no McCracken, Links Lady Bay or Fleurieu to compete with.

As the Collective mentioned the club have to seriously look at their business plan in how to bring in the money from outside and make the course accessible to green fees players. To have the course closed to public traffic for a senseless 4 ball comp round on a public holiday is just plain dumb and stupid.
The Rad in a golfing sense is a very small world and news of clubs not making green fees players welcome travels fast and damages your club image and bottom line on the books. As has been mentioned there are other options to play before you travel all the way to Victor as it's basically the last in the line for travel. It's no Royal Adelaide or Kooyonga so the course alone is not enough to make one choose to drive past the others to play for a restrictive time.