PDA

View Full Version : quest for the perfect swing, or enjoy and improve.

magman
18th September 2015, 06:57 PM
Do you stop and try to rebuild your swing into the perfect swing like Tiger, or play with the swing you have and make adjustments to your swing for any mistakes and enjoy the game and hopefully end up like Furyk.

Daves
18th September 2015, 07:21 PM
Do you stop and try to rebuild your swing into the perfect swing like Tiger, or play with the swing you have and make adjustments to your swing for any mistakes and enjoy the game and hopefully end up like Furyk.

Your swing is your swing, not a lot you can do about it really. Just accept what you have and work with it. It is all about impact and past, anything before that is instinctive!

mrbluu
18th September 2015, 07:36 PM
I don't think it's necessary to have a perfect swing, as we just don't have the time and effort to practice. I do believe in trying to build a more fundamentally sound swing so u can be more consistent. It depends what u want out of the game and how much time u can devote to it.

oncewasagolfer
18th September 2015, 08:34 PM
I have been working on trying to build a more fundimentally sound swing this week. My grip and take away have been getting worse and worse and as a consequence I have no consistency. First two shots today were straight right oob but I realize it won't happen overnight. I wasn't planning on playing any comps until I have the new swing thoughts bedded in but for some reason I ended up putting my name down for tomorrow. I might have to hit a 5 iron off of the first tee tomorrow don't want to spray another one over the fence and onto the road☺

Dotty
18th September 2015, 08:34 PM
New equipment will fix any swing flaws.

It's the OzGolf way.

oncewasagolfer
18th September 2015, 08:39 PM
New equipment will fix any swing flaws.

It's the OzGolf way.
I am either getting wiser with age or don't have any money to spare for new clubs as I have no interest in buying clubs. I just want to have a reliable repeatable swing not the erratic mess I have been for years.

shanksalot
18th September 2015, 09:07 PM
I reckon develop a swing decent enough that you have a consistent miss![unless you want to go tour pro]
On a good day you will hit lazers.
On a bad day you should hit many on your miss side.
I did not realise what my miss was, until my Local pro pointed out My miss was usually a pull left.
This was during a course management lesson.
So now I allow for that missed shot on almost every shot.
went from 6-7 GIR on a good day to 10 -12 GIR on a good day immediately after this advice

ie approach shot where pin is on left. left off green is big trouble , aim for right of green , if pulled left should still be on left side of green , little pull in middle of green , and straight shot on right side of green or just off for easy 2 putt or up and down. A push will be off the green but plenty of green to play to.

I m starting to realise golf is a game of managing the inevitable poor shots.
If you can predict with reasonable certainty where your rubbish shot will go, you can allow for it and use your killer short game :roll: to clean up the mess, and make pars or tap in bogeys.

as you improve your swing you hit less of those consistent misses and more lazers
hope this helps

Hatchman
18th September 2015, 09:08 PM

If your golfing life is relatively young it may be easier to make dramatic changes.

Speaking/typing as someone who has been there done that I wouldn't recommend it.
I got to 4 under the old hcp system (0.1 days) with a swing that had a number of faults. Wanted to change things to more conventional in the quest to be better and a lot more consistent. Had a lot of lessons and did a butt load of practice working on the swing. In 18months I had drifted out to 1 game away from getting to 9. I broke hcp that round by a couple of shots and walked away from the game for 6 years as I had grown to hate it.
Hind sight it was the wrong thing to do as it stuffed me up. Too many years of ingrained faults to change.

razaar
19th September 2015, 06:23 AM
Dave is close to the mark in his post about swing ownership and instinctive movements. To successfully change an instinctive action we need to replace it with another instinctive action. Our instincts are allied to our concepts so we need to change our conceptual understanding of what we are trying to do.
Given that there is so much misinformation out there about what is correct and what a perfect swing is, how would you know that you are on the right track?

Richo1
15th December 2015, 04:43 PM
Achieve perfect impact. There is no such thing as a perfect swing. There are pretty swings and there are functional swings. Swings that work. Swings that win millions of dollars. Furyk's swing is functional. And he is a millionaire. He can control impact and that is the ONLY thing that matters.

highballin
15th December 2015, 06:07 PM
6mths ago I decided to make a swing change under the guidance of my club pro. 6mths later I am just starting to feel like the change is starting to take effect even though my scores don't reflect that.

Have been stuck in between swings and thinking too much about how to swing. Hopefully I will end up with a more consistent swing but at the moment only pain on the scorecard.

I must say though it does feel worth it when I get it right

Scifisicko
15th December 2015, 06:57 PM
Achieve perfect impact. There is no such thing as a perfect swing. There are pretty swings and there are functional swings. Swings that work. Swings that win millions of dollars. Furyk's swing is functional. And he is a millionaire. He can control impact and that is the ONLY thing that matters.

Arms and club path are unsightly in the backswing, but he drops it into the slot on transition and its pure from there.

Richo1
15th December 2015, 08:40 PM
Arms and club path are unsightly in the backswing, but he drops it into the slot on transition and its pure from there. At impact all the top guys are the same. What the backswing looks like is irrelevant.

hardtrier
16th December 2015, 07:11 PM
Dave is close to the mark in his post about swing ownership and instinctive movements. To successfully change an instinctive action we need to replace it with another instinctive action. Our instincts are allied to our concepts so we need to change our conceptual understanding of what we are trying to do.
Given that there is so much misinformation out there about what is correct and what a perfect swing is, how would you know that you are on the right track?
that is a very interesting concept. in other words, you then agree that if we can setup somehow with a visualization of what we want to achieve, then our subconscious mind (only if we allow it free reign) will automatically direct the correct impulses to our muscles .
if i for instance set up to do a lawn bowl and then turned that on a 90 degree tangent to mirror a golf swing setup, in theory, that is a much easier way to attain perfect equilibrium and the ultimate stance.
i must confess it actually works .
what it implies to me is that the golf backswing is predominantly an underarm movement, but if your initial setup is not in the desired equilibrium position to start with, then any alterations to same are inconsequential later in the swing.

topping
10th February 2016, 06:50 AM
Having played golf for 40 years, the answer is quite simple. Get really, really good at chipping and putting. Assuming that you can hit the fairway and a fair number of greens, nothing else matters. It's a little known fact that even on the PGA tour, with their perfect swings and daily practice, average greens hit in regulation is nowhere near 100% even for the best players. Get in on the green in as few shots as you can and hole the putt.

mrbluu
10th February 2016, 07:01 AM
It's a little known fact that even on the PGA tour, with their perfect swings and daily practice, average greens hit in regulation is nowhere near 100% even for the best players.

Really????

razaar
10th February 2016, 08:49 AM
that is a very interesting concept. in other words, you then agree that if we can setup somehow with a visualization of what we want to achieve, then our subconscious mind (only if we allow it free reign) will automatically direct the correct impulses to our muscles .
if i for instance set up to do a lawn bowl and then turned that on a 90 degree tangent to mirror a golf swing setup, in theory, that is a much easier way to attain perfect equilibrium and the ultimate stance.
i must confess it actually works .
what it implies to me is that the golf backswing is predominantly an underarm movement, but if your initial setup is not in the desired equilibrium position to start with, then any alterations to same are inconsequential later in the swing.Before a Player can successfully employ visualization techniques in a golf swing, he needs to have ownership of his swing. He has to know his swing intimately. Most golfers never get close to knowing their swing. They are chopping and changing hoping to stumble on the secret. As a result they have no real concept of a golf swing, but a head full of concepts depending what golf tip comes to mind at the time. We all do it or have done it.

Hatchman
15th February 2016, 08:44 PM
6mths ago I decided to make a swing change under the guidance of my club pro. 6mths later I am just starting to feel like the change is starting to take effect even though my scores don't reflect that.

Have been stuck in between swings and thinking too much about how to swing. Hopefully I will end up with a more consistent swing but at the moment only pain on the scorecard.

I must say though it does feel worth it when I get it right

Your swing from tee to green is sound enough to get you to single figures.
You need to spend 90%-95% of any practice time working on that short game and distance control.

wazamac
19th April 2016, 06:37 PM
Wish I had a swing like this: http://www.golflink.com.au/news/viral-news/2016/04/watch-this-two-year-olds-perfect-swing.aspx

highballin
19th April 2016, 07:13 PM
You need to spend 90%-95% of any practice time working on that short game and distance control.

Doing exactly that now. Only practice short game nothing else.

Swing comes and goes but short game is slowly improving each week

Hatchman
20th April 2016, 05:08 PM
Doing exactly that now. Only practice short game nothing else.

Swing comes and goes but short game is slowly improving each week

Looking forward to seeing your improvement in the whatcha shoot threads when it happens.