PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Central Coast & Hunter Valley?

BogeyGolfer
18th September 2015, 12:41 AM
Planning a bit of a golf trip, head to the Hunter for a night or two, play a few rounds and stop off on the way back somewhere like Kooindah/Magenta. What are the "must play" courses in your view? If you could pick 2 up further north and one to stop off at in the Central Coast area?

FuzzyJuzzy
18th September 2015, 05:38 AM
The Vintage is the best course in The Hunter. Lovely Norman/Harrison track. Central Coast's finest are Kooindah and Magenta, although I've only played the former. And if I was going up, I'd definitely make time for Newcastle GC. Sounds like a fun trip mate.

WBennett
18th September 2015, 07:29 AM
Lock your car.
Remove a tooth to fit in with the locals.
Don't look anyone in the eye

Icestorm959
18th September 2015, 10:35 AM
1. Magenta
2. Vintage

Caveat: Haven't played Newcastle.

live4golf
18th September 2015, 10:43 AM
I am a member at Kooindah, so I may be a little biased. When are you heading here?

Must plays - Newcastle, The Vintage.

Nice course - Cypress Lakes

Central Coast - Can't go wrong with Magenta or Kooindah. Magenta plays tough in the wind, is a great course and is always in great condition. Think you need to stay there to play though. Kooindah is in great condition and is a great course, the greens are top notch as are the fairways.

BogeyGolfer
18th September 2015, 11:16 PM
Seems like the Vintage is easily #1. Interested to hear views on Hunter Valley GC & Cypress? Better or worse than Newcastle? Newy has been mentioned a few times so must be pretty good, no mention of Stonebridge though?

kiwitown
19th September 2015, 07:10 AM
An oldy but a goody is Belmont golf club a good test of golf next to the ocean. You will have played well if you shoot your handicap around there.

sms316
19th September 2015, 09:13 AM
Seems like the Vintage is easily #1. Interested to hear views on Hunter Valley GC & Cypress? Better or worse than Newcastle? Newy has been mentioned a few times so must be pretty good, no mention of Stonebridge though? Stonebridge is a complete turd of a golf course. You're better off not playing golf than going there.

Matt 3 Jab
19th September 2015, 03:58 PM
Kooindah is a great course and a lot of fun. Try and get there.

Magenta obviously the best, but like L4G said, might have to stay there to play without a member.

Newcastle is mint, like mint mint. Open wednesday comp is about $100

Shelly beach has great views, as does Belmont

live4golf
19th September 2015, 04:06 PM
Seems like the Vintage is easily #1. Interested to hear views on Hunter Valley GC & Cypress? Better or worse than Newcastle? Newy has been mentioned a few times so must be pretty good, no mention of Stonebridge though?

Stonebridge is not mentioned for a reason, SMS is being very kind! Cypress is a nice course, but I'd play The Vintage if I had to choose one over the other. Newcastle is a sensational course and is a must play, always ranks in the top 25 courses in the country and has 3 or 4 holes that are ranked in the best in Australia. Hunter Valley GC is a fun course if you just want a hit, definitely nice but it is not in the same league as the others.

BogeyGolfer
19th September 2015, 04:29 PM
Based on consensus, looks like we'll try and play Vintage, Newcastle and Cypress and maybe a cheeky round at Kooindah on the way up or on the way back depending on travel times. Out of curiosity, has anyone actually stayed at the hotels in the Hunter? Most deals seem to include either the Crowne, Potters or Cypress (Grand Mercure) as accommodation options but really we'd prefer to save on that and spend a bit extra on the golf. Any views on these?

Jerrymoo
22nd September 2015, 10:52 AM
Stayed at Cypress Lakes earlier in the year. Accommodation was fairly good, and as guests we saved on our green fees. I enjoyed the course... though, they ought to dig up the 12th hole, IMO.

Steve
22nd September 2015, 11:44 AM
I stay at the Crown, and play Vintage, CL but manly HVGC.

BogeyGolfer
29th September 2015, 04:25 PM
We got our trip all sorted. 3 days, 2 nights, 4 rounds.
Day 1 - Newcastle GC
Day 2 - The Vintage ($125 for all day golf incl. cart seemed decent so we booked an am & pm tee time).
Day 3 - Cypress Lakes (for some reason couldn't yet be booked!?).

Accommodation at Potters Brewery, total cost for the trip $380. Bring on December!!

Godscountry
1st October 2015, 09:32 AM
Youve done quite well there and youve picked the 3 best courses in that order, although there are plenty of days where I rate Cypress above the Vintage....but never above Newcastle. Potters is also a tremendous place for a pissup, just dont talk to ANYBODY who looks local!

AlexMc
11th October 2015, 08:05 AM
We usually do a similar trip in August, however add a fourth round somewhere on the way (Muswellbrook last time, for the last time to be honest).

Godscountry
12th October 2015, 04:12 PM
How was Muswellbrook looking?
Havent played there for years...

BogeyGolfer
13th October 2015, 10:00 PM
Was going to do Kooindah which would be roughly halfway but we're playing 4 rounds in 3 days so didn't have the time and I think 72 holes will be plenty!

AlexMc
17th October 2015, 02:36 AM
Was in terrible condition. Greens had turf missing and weed all the way through it, fairways were OK but appears to be permanent preferred lies. Wouldn't play it again...