PDA

View Full Version : Driver swing weights

senecio
24th July 2004, 03:41 PM
After buying a 2nd hand Titleist 975D driver recently I noticed that there was a line under the loft on the sole of the head. I had not seen this marking before and was a little worried that the driver I had bought was not the real thing.

I asked a few people and I was told that Titleist used this marking to indicate that the head was designed for use with a steel shaft. After sending a email to Tileist, I got this reply.

"The line under the loft was a manufacturing mark to indicate the head as a lighter head than standard. These heads were used with heavier shafts to help maintain swingweight".

Makes sense to me. This would explain why it was swinging with a D1 swingweight when I got it with a Graffalloy Prolite in it and it now swings at D3/D4 with an R300 shaft.

My question is, do other manufacturers do the same thing? That is, manufacture different weighted heads for different shafts. Even with graphite there could be 25 to 30 grams between two different shafts. That could mean as much as 3 to 4 swingweight points if the head weight doesn't change to match

Ryan