PDA

View Full Version : Square grips for Irons?

wizard_of_oz
12th September 2015, 06:19 PM
I've always been curious if any manufacturer makes square grips for irons? I would imagine that if a square putter grip helps to keep hands quiet and square to target, then I don't see why a square iron grip won't do the same thing?

Pingsta
12th September 2015, 06:46 PM
Is it legal to use anything other than a roundish grip on irons.

I don't know the answer just asking the question as I've never seen square grips for irons before.

shanksalot
12th September 2015, 06:51 PM
Not legal to use anything other than round on clubs except putter:
See R & A Appendix II 3.

For clubs other than putters ,the grip must be circular in cross section , except that a continuous , straight, slightly raised rib may be incorporated along the full length of the grip...................

http://www.randa.org/en/Equipment/Equipment-Rules.aspx#/equipment/?ruleNum=3. Grip (See Fig. VII)

wizard_of_oz
12th September 2015, 07:09 PM
Not legal to use anything other than round on clubs except putter:See R & A Appendix II 3.For clubs other than putters ,the grip must be circular in cross section , except that a continuous , straight, slightly raised rib may be incorporated along the full length of the grip...................http://www.randa.org/en/Equipment/Equipment-Rules.aspx#/equipment/?ruleNum=3. Grip (See Fig. VII)Ah, there you go. I would imagine that golf would be a lot easier game if the grips could be square.

shanksalot
12th September 2015, 10:16 PM
You can try making a square grip as an experiment . nothing stopping u from practicing with it!
Maybe 4 pieces of wire down a grip wrapped in insulation tape , then covered in heat shrink tube for grip.
Prob cost a few $

razaar
13th September 2015, 08:39 AM
I have a set of reminder grips for woods and irons that Wilson installed on some of their sets during the mid 1960's. There is a flat section on the top of the grip where the heel pad sits against the grip. It was so effective that the R&A made this design illegal. I suspect that a nail in its coffin was it was patent protected, which would have caused issues within an emerging
Equipment industry.

petethepilot
13th September 2015, 01:59 PM
I've always been curious if any manufacturer makes square grips for irons? I would imagine that if a square putter grip helps to keep hands quiet and square to target, then I don't see why a square iron grip won't do the same thing?
Maybe not as the only time you want the clubface square to the target is at impact. The full swing is more rotary than square to square.

Thoughts?

wizard_of_oz
13th September 2015, 03:22 PM
It's rotary, but the way I view it is if the grip was square, "feeling" where the club face at all times in the swing and even more so at impact isn't guesswork anymore. Also, gripping correctly each and every time so that the club face is truly square to target would be achievable. Wonder how it translates into reality. An old Superstroke slim 1.0 could be interesting to chuck on just for fun, albeit illegal.

Johnny Canuck
13th September 2015, 05:07 PM
Maybe not as the only time you want the clubface square to the target is at impact. The full swing is more rotary than square to square.

Thoughts?

100% agreed.

johl
13th September 2015, 05:17 PM
I remember using a grip that you could slide over any club that had cut away areas for each of your fingers so that the club would be square at impact. Think of it like those rubber training aids that kids would put on pencils to learn the right grip. It worked OK but it gives no benefit to your game