PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 10th April

Jarro
12th April 2006, 04:12 PM
had a scratchy 84 around Nudgee today (35 points)

Hit a fair share of fairways, only a handful of G.I.R's and topped it off with 32 putts.

Didn't look at my score all day until i stood on the 18th tee ..... big mistake :x

Jono
12th April 2006, 04:48 PM
Had my best putting round in a long time. 30 putts! 8)

41 points at my home course Bayview. Some good iron play as well ... Driver still a bit crooked. 5 out of 13 fairways hit. :(

This is my first good round since starting the series of lessons, so I'm hoping that it will be an ongoing trend, not just a one off thing ... :lol:

Jarro
12th April 2006, 04:49 PM
nice shootin Doc 8) you hit the driver pretty well at PH i thought, not much to worry about there.

What's that put the handicap at now ?

Jono
12th April 2006, 05:02 PM
nice shootin Doc 8) you hit the driver pretty well at PH i thought, not much to worry about there.

What's that put the handicap at now ?

I hooked a few ... Still playable, but I'd be in trouble on tight courses. I'm going to get it cut down to 44.5 and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll have to find me a Stripper ... I mean a Striper. :lol:

Not sure about the handicap ... I'll have to ring the club tomorrow. Bayview plays a couple of strokes easy, so I doubt I would have lost more than one.

Grunt
12th April 2006, 06:17 PM
Had a hit at Mac Grange with a couple of mates this afternoon. Played ok shot 92 for a nett 72 (par 70). It could have been soooo much better.

I still can't hit my 3 wood off the tee. :-k I am hitting it great off the deck though, I might have to not tee it up when on the tee.

Hit some really great shots, a great 5i 160+m up hill, into the breeze to the green at 10, a great 7i on 12 about 150m out & a great drive on 18 to land between the 2 dams :razz:

If it were not for the 4 triple bogies it could have been anything. Oh well maybe next time.

Eag's
12th April 2006, 06:35 PM
Had my best putting round in a long time. 30 putts! 8)

41 points at my home course Bayview. Some good iron play as well ... Driver still a bit crooked. 5 out of 13 fairways hit. :(

This is my first good round since starting the series of lessons, so I'm hoping that it will be an ongoing trend, not just a one off thing ... :lol:

Well done Jono, great to hear you had a good day with the short stick as well :smt002
How many lessons have you had in the series so far?

Eag's
12th April 2006, 07:52 PM
Played Nudgee today Single Stab
Shot 84
6 Greens
6 Fairways
31 putts

Hit the ball a bit better today and didn't have as many brain farts as usual :oops:
Out to 13 Hcp again :smt087

Jono
12th April 2006, 08:20 PM
Well done Jono, great to hear you had a good day with the short stick as well :smt002
How many lessons have you had in the series so far?

Thanks, Eags. I think I've had 6 or 7 lessons so far (total package of 10 lessons). The last one on putting was the best. He videoed my putting stroke, and on long putts is was too much straight back and forth. He changed my stoke to a more "arc type" stroke for long putts, and I seem to get much better distance control with it.

Having a series of lessons is great. The pro actually remembers what we were working on last time ... :lol: He played a comp round with me and identified lag putting as one of my major weaknesses. Hopefully, that won't be the case much longer.

I'm going to have one more lesson before I go up to Brisbane. Hopefully I can straighten out my driving a bit ... 8)

Hope we can catch up for a round some time, Eags. Love to have a look at your lefty putting stroke. :-D

BrisWesty
12th April 2006, 10:53 PM
After the morning's appointments had a hit at Caboolture - 29 points (3 washes and a string of 9 2 point holes in a row).
5 fairways, 5 GIR, 32 putts and played like a dog! At least 18 shots that were just plain bad. Poor rhythm from 100m in, and difficulty getting the ball to stop near the hole (was playing distance rocks because I've misplaced all my other balls) Lost 3 balls.
If it was a stroke round, I would have been beaten by the 78 year old 20 handicapper I was playing with.
sorry Tezza, you had your chance to give me a flogging and missed it.

AndyP
14th April 2006, 04:21 PM
14/04/2006, Nambour GC, Stableford.

FWRR: Saved by short game

0/12 effective T-shots. (Thank you, thank you. No need for the congratulatory PMs.)
3/18 effective approaches.
29 putts.
-------------
6 pars.
10 bogeys.
2 doubles.
Score 42-40-82 stab 35 (Par 34-34-68)

Talk about woeful off the tee. Was slicing nearly everything, except one club, which was going the other way. General ball striking was crap too.

Once I was inside 100m, it was all good (well, almost). The challenge was getting there in the first place. Putter was hot, and the chipping was solid. I was even pitching well with less than a full swing (which gives me some confidence in going to a 52/58 wedge combo).

At the start of the day, I would have taken the 82. But couldn't I at least hit one fairway (on the correct hole)???

To make matters worse, my new golf shoes have butchered my feet and there was no beer waiting for me at the clubhouse (closed for Good Friday).

Next rounds: 15-16/04/2006, Headland GC.
Tomorrow could be interesting....

Flowergirl
14th April 2006, 04:44 PM
Pennant yesterday..........we lost again. I played great golf. I went down 2/1 but I wasn't unhappy. I was down 5 at the 12th. I was playing bogey golf with the odd par - she was playing par golf with a couple of birdies. I came back with four pars in a row but skulled a pitch over the green and into the bushes on the 17th - Game Over!!!
Still - happy how I hit the ball. I even chipped well and thats saying something!!!
We played Mornington at their home track - and it does make a difference. Next week we are at our home course so we better kick butt!!

jimandr
14th April 2006, 07:18 PM
It seems to have been a good putting week this week. I can join in after my 28 putts on my way to 37 points at Carnarvon today with the Sydney OzGolfers. Didn't strike the ball particularly well, and hit a couple of genuine duffs, but my short game in general was really good today.

Fairways = 9 of 14
GIR = 8 of 18
Putts = 28 - 3 birdies, 1 three-putt
Up and down = 4 of 5
Sand Saves = 2 of 3.

Pity about the two double bogeys and two other chipouts. It could have been a very good score without them.

connico
14th April 2006, 07:46 PM
Well what a story...a long story

So we tee off on the 10th, wipe..Continued to the 11 angry with myself, was determined not to wipe the next. Raged hard on the tee after tee shot. Wasnt all the bad and and ended up with a bogie. Then on the 12th after some sound advice from nathen no to go right..couldnt help myself and went right, right at the pin, landed it about 3m away from the pin and sunk the putt for a 2/4 :). Now multiply that for the rest of the day, and wipe around 6 holes and you have my days work.

Regardless enjoyed it and got 29 points with the wipes...Call me the cleaner now.

Moe Norman
14th April 2006, 07:54 PM
Brookwater

8/14 Fairways
13 GIR
38 Putts

81 off the beater on the gold tees.

Eag's
15th April 2006, 01:17 PM
Played Virginia Single Stab today Blue Plates
Hit the ball much better with the irons today and the short game was
solid. Driver was a bit all over the shop.

Shot 82 for 38 points (3 washes :( )
5 Greens
8 Fairways
29 Putts
7/11 U&D
10 Pars
5 Bogeys
3 Doubles

goughy
15th April 2006, 07:54 PM
Why do we continue doing this to ourselves. A nice 95 today, 1/15 fairways, 33 putts (4 x 1 putts and a chip in), the rest is irelevant. I did par my only fairway, and on the 18th after driving oob smashed my second drive, pin high 2nd then 2 good putts for a 6 (claytons par). How important are those fairways. Only had two other straight shot's from tee shot's; a par 4 I parred and a par 5 with my second from a fairway bunker which I also parred. Is anything else screaming at me to just chip out sideways then play at the green.

When it's not meant to happen it's not meant to happen.

Second last hole was 130mtr par 3. PW landed 2 mtrs in front of the hole on the fringe (huge divot mark) and bounced backwards 2 mtrs into a hole left in a bunker. 2 shots to get out and 3 putts to get down from 45 feet.

The guy teeing off after me hit basically the same shot and finished pin high. Oh the pain, the pain.

AndyP
15th April 2006, 08:16 PM
Stop your whinging, goughy. A respectable score can still be made if you don't hit fairways. See my score from yesterday.

AndyP
15th April 2006, 08:16 PM
15/04/2006, Headland GC, Stroke

FWRR: 'Tis a strange game.

8/14 effective T-shots.
5/18 effective approaches.
4/12 successful up and downs.
35 putts.
--------------
1 birdie.
5 pars.
9 bogeys.
2 doubles.
1 other.
Score 42-45-87 nett 74 (Par 36-36-72)

After every T-shot on the front nine, I would scratch my head. How could I hit it so bad yesterday, and not hit one solitary fairway, yet hit it great today (I hit every fairway on the first nine). My ball striking today was solid, couldn't have asked for better really. Had a bad three hole stretch on our back nine, but besides that I'm wrapped.

Short game was tough on those greens, and I could've done without a four putt, but I'm relatively happy with it. Hopefully I've adjusted to the pace now, and will be set for tomorrow.

Based on last year's results, I should be thereabouts after the first round. I'm not too worried, just hoping to hit it more or less the same tomorrow, and a little better around the greens.

PeteyD
15th April 2006, 08:21 PM
First match post vasectomy. Crappy 29 Stableford points today. 8 points going out, could not do anything right and had 4 wipes in a row. 21 Coming home, including a Par 5 on the hardest hole. This is a weird game. Add another 0.1 to my fat butt handicap.

goughy
15th April 2006, 08:40 PM
Stop your whinging, goughy. A respectable score can still be made if you don't hit fairways. See my score from yesterday.

I'm tired and have no chocolate. Let me whinge.

And I'm the king of no fairway good scores. But it's still easier from the middle.

I spose my point is if I can par from the fairway, then if I'm in a bad spot in the trees just getting the ball out should still leave me no worse than bogey, rather than the 4 triples today from being cute.

AndyP
15th April 2006, 08:46 PM
I spose my point is if I can par from the fairway, then if I'm in a bad spot in the trees just getting the ball out should still leave me no worse than bogey, rather than the 4 triples today from being cute.
Cute doesn't suit you, although the boss may disagree.

goughy
15th April 2006, 08:49 PM
No, I'm sure she agrees. She got the raw end of the deal.

McMw
15th April 2006, 11:20 PM
YEAAAA!!!
my first decent round of the year this pm...
finished with 70, with missed birds on 17 and 18 to break par... :(

lucky tho...had a chip-in deuce on the 5th to be 2under the card after 5, but bogeyed 8, and 3-jacked the 9th to finish level for 9...

great to have a decent round (finally) this year... :mrgreen:

jimandr
16th April 2006, 05:56 PM
Had another good putting round today, leading to a 38 point round that should've been much better. It's funny how you record good scores when you hole a few on the greens, no matter how poorly you strike the ball.

Fairways = 5 of 14, awful, including an out of bounds
GIR = 9 of 18
Putts = 31, 1 three putt, 1 birdie, 3 others over 10ft
Up & Down = 4 of 6
Sand Saves = 0 of 1
Penalty = 2

Moe Norman
17th April 2006, 05:00 PM
16/4 Pelican Waters (Blue Tees)

Putted extraordinarily well, shame my normal game was off. I was ordinary off the tee and made some uncharacteristic errors with my irons.

Didn't keep normal stats but added up putts post round and had only 30 putts!

Shot 81 off the stick
2 Triples
3 Doubles
2 Bogeys
6 Pars
5 Birdies

Could have been so much better if I could get the ball off the tee. One birdie was a holed PW from 125m on the 3rd hole Par 5 after dumping my second in the water. The other 4 birdies were regulation. The two triples killed my score, which was a shame.

17/4 Pacific Harbour (Blue Tees)

75 off the stick.

Fixed yesterdays tee troubles, the putting stayed solid and I finally put a decent round together. Playing from the blues made it easier, but on both days I played with father in law who isn't much of a golfer.

I hit 15 GIR, so if I'd putted as well as yesterday it could have been a ripper. Only had one 3 putt and that was on the second, that green is a killer!

again no stats, but birdied 1, 7 and 18 and combined with my three double bogeys I had 12 pars. I did miss some very gettable birdie putts but I'm happy to get in the hole in two for the moment.

hopefully I've turned the putting around now and my game is back. I missed 3 greens for 3 doubles though, which needs attention!

Virgal_Tracy
18th April 2006, 12:19 PM
HAd 2 games over the Easter weekend. The 1st was on Friday with the rest of the boys at CArnarvon. Was quietly satisfied with the 35 pts with the driver working well and not too much adjustment needed to the new irons (X18 clones)

Easter Sunday at Bathurst. Again 35 points. A little disappointing as had 3 wipes from 8-10. Apart from that very solid. Driver again worked well. Score could have been much worse but finished 4/3 and 3/4.

Happiest aspect of the wekend was the change in lofts with the wedges. 53 and 58 have given me so much more confidence than previouslyand was hitting some great shots all weekend. Putting does need some work. Played Friday with the 6.4 and Sunday with the 5. Much more comfortable with the 5. Disatnce seems to be beter with it.

AndyP
18th April 2006, 12:25 PM
16/04/2006, Headland GC, Stroke

FWRR: Oh, what a waste.

10/14 effective T-shots.
6/18 effective approaches.
4/10 successful up and downs.
36 putts.
--------------
1 birdie.
3 pars.
6 bogeys.
5 doubles.
3 others.
Score 50-46-96 nett 83 (Par 36-36-72)

Hit it really well of the tee for the majority of the day, but stuggled off the deck and wasted opportunites. Started to get to me at the end of the front nine, then got burnt by a couple of downhill putts after nice approaches, and threw a couple more holes away afterwards. Pulled my head in to grab a bird on the 12th and finish the round off okay.

Next round: OZgolf Matchplay, April 25, Oxley GC

goughy
19th April 2006, 07:14 AM
Tell you what andy. Lets combine games. You take the tee shots and putts, I'll take everything else. When I find fairways generally the only thing that stuffs my par is my putting. Hit the green near the pin off both my tee shots that hit fairways (one was after an oob), parred the difficult par 3, three putt bogey on another and lucked out big time on the third. Left a huge plug mark on the fringe 2mtrs short of the hole; ball bounced 2mtrs back into a plug in a bunker. 2 to get out and 3 putts. Another in the group hit the same shot as me and just missed his birdie putt. I was spewing.

Anyone up for an ambrose. I'll drive first and putt first ok.

Flowergirl
19th April 2006, 07:54 AM
Woo hoo. Played on Sunday at Rosebud Country Club. Played either really good - two birdies!! and a few pars - but then also 5 wipes for 32 points. Was on 19.4 so I thought I was back to 20. Just looked up and the CCR was 32. Yeah!!!!! Oh crap - just realised playing par today. Gulp!!!

Jono
19th April 2006, 01:13 PM
Well ... I won the comp with 41 points last Wednesday at my home course Bayview, and then had a semi collapse at Carnarvon on Easter Friday with 29 points. Played again at Bayview today and had a relatively "easy" 40 points ... 8)

First round with two drivers today. 9 degree Cobra which I used only 3 times and the 15 degree Tour Special which I used for the rest of the tee shots. One tee shot lost in the trees but otherwise all the tee shots were "effective". Very happy with the 15 degree which seems (to me, anyway) more forgiving than the 3 wood off the tee, and goes a little higher than the 3 wood. About 220 to 230 meters, nearly all carry.

Eag's
19th April 2006, 03:24 PM
Well ... I won the comp with 41 points last Wednesday at my home course Bayview, and then had a semi collapse at Carnarvon on Easter Friday with 29 points. Played again at Bayview today and had a relatively "easy" 40 points ... 8)

First round with two drivers today. 9 degree Cobra which I used only 3 times and the 15 degree Tour Special which I used for the rest of the tee shots. One tee shot lost in the trees but otherwise all the tee shots were "effective". Very happy with the 15 degree which seems (to me, anyway) more forgiving than the 3 wood off the tee, and goes a little higher than the 3 wood. About 220 to 230 meters, nearly all carry.

Well done on winning the comp Jono :smt038
Looks like those lessons are starting to pay of mate :smt002