PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Cisco Router

AndyP
4th September 2015, 09:21 AM
This isn't a thread that I would normally start, but I am getting frustrated in my efforts to buy a Cisco 2911 router with a specific configuration for work. I know that there are IT guys around here, so I'm hoping that you could pass on the details of a reputable seller of Cisco routers to me. I have contacted Cisco, and they were meant to get one of their partners to contact me, since Cisco don't sell directly; that was a week and a half ago. I sent out some emails for quotes a few days and only got one quote back, but on research, the company that responded looks a bit dodgy.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve
4th September 2015, 09:43 AM
http://www.melbourneglobal.com.au around $1800-2000

AndyP
4th September 2015, 10:04 AM
http://www.melbourneglobal.com.au around $1800-2000
Have you used them?
I sent them an email two days ago and they said they would send me a quote, but I'm still waiting. FWIW I'm after a Cisco 2911 V/K9 with other interface cards and specific licences. I'd expect $4000 upwards.

BenM
4th September 2015, 10:13 AM
I use a couple of local resellers, but one (Data#3) is national and the other (Anderson Morgan) has a branch in Brisbane so both could probably help you out.

AndyP
4th September 2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks Ben. Some of these online businesses look dodgy. I think they import from the US directly, and then you could potentially have licence issues.
We normally get our equipment via our head office in Europe, but the lead time is too long on this occasion.

live4golf
4th September 2015, 11:22 AM
Andy,

My network guy purchases his personal Cisco gear from here and highly recommends them:
http://www.warehouse1.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/warehouse1/Products/000000000001035055

AndyP
4th September 2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks gents. All of the above have been contacted.

BenM
4th September 2015, 12:25 PM
Thanks Ben. Some of these online businesses look dodgy. I think they import from the US directly, and then you could potentially have licence issues.
We normally get our equipment via our head office in Europe, but the lead time is too long on this occasion.

Yeah I think with that sort of kit you want to make sure they will fix it if they get the config wrong etc. and you need someone that knows what they're doing a bit. Think Warehouse1 are reputable as well. You'll probably find that the other resellers won't be near the online sellers in price but they will also generally offer a higher service level so it's usually worth it.

golfbound
4th September 2015, 12:30 PM
Did you try Umart online they stock Cisco https://www.umart.com.au/ you may need to get them to order it in from one of there other stores

markTHEblake
4th September 2015, 12:34 PM
Have you taken into account the extra costs of driving one of these babies?

AndyP
4th September 2015, 12:41 PM
Did you try Umart online they stock Cisco https://www.umart.com.au/ you may need to get them to order it in from one of there other stores
They don't sell a router like this. I go to them for smaller things.

Have you taken into account the extra costs of driving one of these babies?
Eh?

markTHEblake
4th September 2015, 12:43 PM
Cisco routers usually need certified propellor heads just to turn them on. If you had some in your company then I assume they would be the ones sourcing it. I was told I needed a Cisco router when I recently upgraded the office to Mid band Ethernet but I just used a business grade netgear instead.

AndyP
4th September 2015, 12:49 PM
This is the exact item that we need to replicate an operational system that we support.

Lagerlover
4th September 2015, 04:45 PM
Sorry, I thought the thread was about Mexican prostitutes..

Carry on.

mrbluu
4th September 2015, 04:50 PM
Sorry, I thought the thread was about Mexican prostitutes..

Carry on.
Que....

AndyP
4th September 2015, 04:55 PM
I'm so glad I've got notifications turned on for this thread.

3Puttpete
4th September 2015, 05:09 PM
I'm so glad I've got notifications turned on for this thread.

So you can get in line behind mrbluu?

aussieashley
4th September 2015, 05:37 PM
Our IT guys use Ethan Group, but I have absolutely no idea what they are like.

live4golf
4th September 2015, 07:37 PM
Is the issue that the guys you've contacted have not got back to you?

AndyP
4th September 2015, 07:53 PM
Is the issue that the guys you've contacted have not got back to you?Mostly, I would like to buy it from a reputable business rather than an unknown. After my various phone calls today, I have several quotes coming through.

idgolfguy
4th September 2015, 08:27 PM
The config should just be migrated across. Cisco retail is about 60% higher than actual buy price.

LarryLong
4th September 2015, 11:04 PM
Dimension Data would sell you one, and I'm sure they would be happy to provide you with a nice hefty quote for install and configuration.

AndyP
5th September 2015, 06:21 AM
Dimension Data is our supplier in Europe. Definitely don't need install or configuration, or support really. Just the hardware and licences.

Thanks all. I should have plenty of quotes available for comparison now.

virge666
7th September 2015, 10:22 PM
We are a Cisco house if you need any help. I have four cisco guys that work for me. And our buy price is about the 1700 mark.

But you will need to buy a support contract to keep it up to date

AndyP
8th September 2015, 09:08 AM
We are a Cisco house if you need any help. I have four cisco guys that work for me. And our buy price is about the 1700 mark.

But you will need to buy a support contract to keep it up to dateThanks Virge. We won't need a support contract because it is only for an internal test system, not an end customer.

virge666
8th September 2015, 09:26 AM
How are you going to configure it?

AndyP
8th September 2015, 09:31 AM
We are a technical company that regularly uses this sort of equipment for our communication systems, so configuring a router is not an issue. The configuration will almost be the same as what is currently in an operational system anyway.

Lagerlover
8th September 2015, 04:07 PM
Hi Andy,

Have you still got notification turned on for this thread?

AndyP
8th September 2015, 04:08 PM
No.

Lagerlover
8th September 2015, 04:09 PM
Whoa, that was quick.

virge666
8th September 2015, 07:58 PM
We are a technical company that regularly uses this sort of equipment for our communication systems, so configuring a router is not an issue. The configuration will almost be the same as what is currently in an operational system anyway.

In that case. Just grab one off a decent eBay seller.

Use your current Cisco account to upgrade the firmware and keep it ticking along.

Job done

AndyP
8th September 2015, 08:04 PM
In that case. Just grab one off a decent eBay seller.

Use your current Cisco account to upgrade the firmware and keep it ticking along.

Job done
I sent you an email earlier today to your commonsense account. I guess you didn't get it.
I'm not sure what the company's stance is on ebay purchases, but I'll check. There's a couple of extra cards and licences to get too.

virge666
8th September 2015, 08:06 PM
I sent you an email earlier today to your commonsense account. I guess you didn't get it.
I'm not sure what the company's stance is on ebay purchases, but I'll check. There's a couple of extra cards and licences to get too.

That will all come with the product if you buy the right one. By memory there are four different products with that model depending on what you want

AndyP
8th September 2015, 08:13 PM
Thanks for your advice, Virge.

virge666
8th September 2015, 08:17 PM
Thanks for your advice, Virge.

No problem at all. I would sell you one but we have to charge you 2400 for the base model.

Much cheaper on the web

virge666
9th September 2015, 09:42 AM
The IP Trading Sales Team
IP Trading Pty Ltd
www.iptrading.com.au (http://iptrading.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=291dd6fd9dde045425fe0eb91&id=df3e56bfae&e=6fa4b2fd89)
Unit 1, 3 Mentmore Avenue
Rosebery, NSW, 2018, Australia
Main +61 2 83 44 55 66
Fax +61 2 9663 4920