PDA

View Full Version : Cobra drivers: Fly Z versus Fly Z +

FuzzyJuzzy
31st August 2015, 12:19 PM
Folks,

Has anyone used both of the current model Cobra drivers and can comment on their differences and which one they prefer? I know they're both rated pretty highly - some places, like MGS, actually rate the Fly Z a little ahead of the Fly Z +. I know the Fly Z + offers lower spin, but does the Fly Z spin so much that it's an issue?
And does the Fly Z head look as big (ie, swept back) as, say, the G25? From what I've read, the Fly Z +, even with the slightly smaller head and less spin, is still quite forgiving. And awesome.
Sorry for the 21 questions.
Thanks Gents. FJ.

dM.
31st August 2015, 12:23 PM
Fly Z sits flatter/more squashed then the +, doesn't spin too much. Fly Z+ gives you the option of bombing low spinning drives when you are hitting it well or offering you close to the same forgiveness of the standard Fly Z when you aren't. Also the + has a deeper face (which i prefer however your mileage may vary).

Dangals
31st August 2015, 12:29 PM
Won't it feel out of place in your bag as it isn't a Titleist :wink:

Wenz
31st August 2015, 12:30 PM
Fly Z+ is 460cc as well, just obviously a deeper face.

Johnny Canuck
31st August 2015, 12:39 PM
Fly Z sits flatter/more squashed then the +, doesn't spin too much. Fly Z+ gives you the option of bombing low spinning drives when you are hitting it well or offering you close to the same forgiveness of the standard Fly Z when you aren't. Also the + has a deeper face (which i prefer however your mileage may vary).

The G30 is really forgiving from my experience.

How is the Fly Z+ by comparison, if you have compared them.

dM.
31st August 2015, 12:46 PM
Less so but still up there with the weight to the rear, I believe this chart will answer most of your questions and gives you a good idea.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/the-most-popular-drivers-of-2015-secret-cg-locations/

Johnny Canuck
31st August 2015, 01:02 PM
Less so but still up there with the weight to the rear, I believe this chart will answer most of your questions and gives you a good idea.

I'll have to give that a read tonight. Cheers.

backintheswing
31st August 2015, 01:09 PM
Fly Z+ is 460cc as well, just obviously a deeper face.

Fly Z is 460cc
Fly Z + is 455cc

wizard_of_oz
31st August 2015, 01:33 PM
Fly Z is 460ccFly Z + is 455ccYou'd have to have a Tiger-esque sense of feel to be able to differentiate that.

backintheswing
31st August 2015, 01:39 PM
They have a very different look from address, as do the bio cell and bio cell pro.

Wenz
31st August 2015, 01:43 PM
Fly Z is 460cc
Fly Z + is 455cc

It is 460cc
http://www.golf.com/equipment/cobra-fly-z-plus-driver-review-clubtest-2015

TheNuclearOne
31st August 2015, 01:49 PM
It is 460cc

http://www.cobragolf.com/fly-z-plus-driver

backintheswing
31st August 2015, 02:09 PM
It is 460cc

You sure ?

Wenz
31st August 2015, 02:50 PM
I guess you can't trust some sources these days.
Why on earth would they make it 455 :S

Harry Putter
31st August 2015, 04:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0HOY-ZZZVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdqIBhOzAcw

I always check out Mark Crossfield's opinion on drivers, when in the UK.

He's talking yards on the numbers btw. ;)

FuzzyJuzzy
31st August 2015, 05:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0HOY-ZZZVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdqIBhOzAcw

I always check out Mark Crossfield's opinion on drivers, when in the UK.

He's talking yards on the numbers btw. ;)

Crossfield's videos are good, although he seems a little too jaded of late when reviewing clubs. His instructional videos are good, but I'm not a fan of his "on the course" videos.
Rick Shiels' videos are usually quite good value too...

FuzzyJuzzy
31st August 2015, 05:49 PM
Won't it feel out of place in your bag as it isn't a Titleist :wink:

Nah, they used to be Acushnet stablemates, so all kosher:).

G.K
31st August 2015, 06:14 PM
Can't say that I've done an extensive comparison of both but I went with the Fly Z and am still happy with my choice. After trying numerous drivers looking for a replacement for for my 910 D2 that I had become so accustomed to, this was the first thing that gave me both a look and feel similar to the 910, but with much less spin which has definitely resulted in a lot more roll out on course. Still using an AD BB 6S as I was in the Titty.

In saying that, I will probably look to pick up a cheap Fly Z + head to play around with when there's a few more used ones on the market.

simmsy
31st August 2015, 06:38 PM
Dibs on the FlyZ

G.K
31st August 2015, 06:54 PM
Dibs on the FlyZ

G30 honeymoon over already?

simmsy
31st August 2015, 07:14 PM
Nah mate.
Rock solid so far.

Steve57
31st August 2015, 07:37 PM
Nah mate.
Rock solid so far.
You haven't replaced the RAZR Fit have you?

simmsy
31st August 2015, 07:48 PM
[emoji3][emoji3]
About 3 drivers ago
[emoji6]

spanner039
31st August 2015, 07:51 PM
I found niether that good I was pretty disapointed after the glowing reviews

The fly spun stupidly and the + had crap feel and was pretty short, your right pretty similar in looks to the g25

Differences were bugger all visually, I am maybe the odd one out but (with trackman watching) they didnt warrant any more than 5 hits each for me

It would pay to have a hit of each yourself and post some results

backintheswing
31st August 2015, 07:53 PM
I found niether that good I was pretty disapointed after the glowing reviews

The fly spun stupidly and the + had crap feel and was pretty short, your right pretty similar in looks to the g25

Differences were bugger all visually, I am maybe the odd one out but (with trackman watching) they didnt warrant any more than 5 hits each for me

It would pay to have a hit of each yourself and post some results

So maybe I should stick with the bio cell pro which I am very happy with?

Steve57
31st August 2015, 07:54 PM
[emoji3][emoji3]
About 3 drivers ago
[emoji6]
Wow, I thought you were together forever!

Steve57
31st August 2015, 08:02 PM
So maybe I should stick with the bio cell pro which I am very happy with?interesting you say that Ash as I have gone back to the Masters LE Bio Cell that I bought off you and am hitting it better than anything else. A seriously good stick!

benno_r
31st August 2015, 08:03 PM

No.

simmsy
31st August 2015, 08:04 PM
Yeah it did nothing wrong just felt like a change.
Then got itchy for a G30 had a trackman session on it and it was slightly lower spin with a heap more forgiveness so went down that path.
Only played a handful of comp rds with it but so very very happy.

JADO75
31st August 2015, 08:19 PM
I have the Fly+ & it's a great head, a definite upgrade over the bio+ (one of my all time favourite heads) as it's more forgiving with heel & toe shots plus it offers the advantage of changing your spin & launch.
I've hit the normal Fly & found it launched a little higher, spun a bit more than the Fly+ in the same loft using the same shaft in both. I prefer the Fly+ better as it plays pretty similar to the Fly with the weight back & then you have the option of moving the weight forward to make it play like a totally different driver.
I had the weight back when I first started using it but now have it forward & my shaft of choice is an Aldila Tour green. The sound took a little getting used to as I thought the Bio+ sounded perfect & this sounds a little more tinny but It's not horrible.
If I wasn't hitting my G30's so well I'd be using the Fly+ all day

JADO75
31st August 2015, 08:21 PM

The Bio Pro is like a G30 LS with muck all forgiveness

spanner039
31st August 2015, 08:22 PM

The bio pro is betterer (for me too) than the flyz things,

Lagerlover
31st August 2015, 08:29 PM
The bio pro is betterer (for me too) than the flyz things,

+1

JADO75
31st August 2015, 08:30 PM
+1

Don't you mean the bi pro?

Wenz
31st August 2015, 08:39 PM
Arghhhh. Fight the urge to buy a g30 ls.

Johnny Canuck
31st August 2015, 09:06 PM
Arghhhh. Fight the urge to buy a g30 ls.

I hear you. A 10.5 LS head and tip would be very tempting.

Daves
14th November 2015, 07:09 AM
Cobra Fly Z + head arrived Thursday. Glued up a shaft and took it for a run yesterday. I struggled a little to hit it on the front nine, a pull hook off the 1st wasn't the greatest start. I worked it out by the time I got to the turn and smashed it on the back nine, looong and straight. I played it with the flip weight back. It will be interesting to see how it goes with it forward.

I have a LS Tec arriving shortly, to add to the SF Tec. I also have a Bio Cell and a Bio Cell +, so lots of opportunities for comparisons!

My initial impression is the Fly Z + is as long as anything else I have hit. Once I worked it out, it was very straight as well. I would still give the points to the G30 SF on straight though, but the Fly Z+ has the Ping covered on distance at this stage.

FuzzyJuzzy
14th November 2015, 08:21 AM
I've got a spare Cobra tip in good nick lying around if anybody wants it for $30 posted. It's from a Bio Cell driver, but works fine with the Fly Z range. The good BITS has even put together a chart on what different Cobra tips play at in different model Cobra drivers. He is totally awesome:).

Stuart
14th November 2015, 11:05 AM
Cobra Fly Z + head arrived Thursday. Glued up a shaft and took it for a run yesterday. I struggled a little to hit it on the front nine, a pull hook off the 1st wasn't the greatest start. I worked it out by the time I got to the turn and smashed it on the back nine, looong and straight. I played it with the flip weight back. It will be interesting to see how it goes with it forward.

I have a LS Tec arriving shortly, to add to the SF Tec. I also have a Bio Cell and a Bio Cell +, so lots of opportunities for comparisons!

My initial impression is the Fly Z + is as long as anything else I have hit. Once I worked it out, it was very straight as well. I would still give the points to the G30 SF on straight though, but the Fly Z+ has the Ping covered on distance at this stage.

How does it compare distance-wise to the older drivers you have been playing around with (such as the Fast 12LS)?

My feeling from trialing a few new and older (last three/four years) drivers is that there is no difference in maximum distance, but there is possibly some difference in the loss of distance on slight mis-hits. My Ping i15 is still the longest driver I have hit, but only when I middle it.

TheNuclearOne
14th November 2015, 11:27 AM

The Ping equivalent to the Fly Z + is the LS, as it also was to the Adams Fast 12 LS you like a lot. It should eat into those distance differences once tuned up.

Daves
14th November 2015, 03:48 PM
The Ping equivalent to the Fly Z + is the LS, as it also was to the Adams Fast 12 LS you like a lot. It should eat into those distance differences once tuned up.

Looking forward to finding out! I also have yet to try the Z + with the weight forward. Sounds like there might be a few more yards in that. Hopefully having the same standard shaft options (PL Blues and Reds) for each, will make comparisons easier also.

TheNuclearOne
14th November 2015, 06:06 PM
Looking forward to finding out! I also have yet to try the Z + with the weight forward. Sounds like there might be a few more yards in that. Hopefully having the same standard shaft options (PL Blues and Reds) for each, will make comparisons easier also.

You will love the LS mate.

Daves
15th November 2015, 11:23 AM
You will love the LS mate.

I am really looking forward to hitting it! I am having lots of fun at the moment experimenting with the low spin brigade. That mygolfspy link, dM posted, on CG location is very interesting. If I read it right, the Fly Z+ with the weight forward is going to be similar to the JPX 850. It also throws the Adams Blue up as a potentially interesting driver!.

Daves
15th November 2015, 11:50 AM
I am really looking forward to hitting it! I am having lots of fun at the moment experimenting with the low spin brigade. That mygolfspy link, dM posted, on CG location is very interesting. If I read it right, the Fly Z+ with the weight forward is going to be similar to the JPX 850. It also throws the Adams Blue up as a potentially interesting driver!.
Here is the link again;

and this prior article is a must read first to fully appreciate the 2nd article;

http://www.mygolfspy.com/golf-club-center-of-gravity-cg/

Daves
19th November 2015, 01:20 PM
Still waiting for the G30 LS to arrive. Gotta "love" AP! Parcel takes less than 7 days to get to OZ, and is now 8 days in APs hands!

Anyways, I have been doing some testing/comparing and tinkering. I have a Bio Cell, a Bio Cell + and a Fly Z+. And a few test shafts to use with them. I took the 3 for a run on Monday. I liked the Bio Cell a lot, easy to hit, very forgiving and straight. It also has the familiar Cobra loud "Tink" that many like. I struggled a little with the other 2 though, mainly due to the shafts being too long I think. The Bio Cell is 45.75" standard, whereas the Bio Cell + is 45.25"and the Fly Z + 45" neat. I initially built the shafts at 46", on the basis it is much easier/preferable to shorten them, than have to lengthen them.

The Fly Z+ was also set up with the flip weight forward, and you can certainly notice the difference. Not my preferred set up, though it would be tempting to use it in windy conditions.

After Monday's round, I shortened the Test Shafts to play at 45.25", and added some lead tape to the Bio Cell to compensate. I played comp yesterday with the shortened Fly Z + with the Flip Weight back, and it was a way better set up for me. It was very accurate, seemingly quite forgiving, though most were actually coming out of the middle. It also seemed very easy to hit, the only fairway I missed all day was when I got too technical with my swing set up, trying to hit a high draw and just managed to hit it straight left. It felt much like the Bio Cell to swing, and only lacked the louder tink sound. It was consistently long as well, and it seemed easy to crank one up when you needed to and/or had a bit of space to work with.

LeftyHoges
19th November 2015, 10:03 PM
Dibs on the Fly Z, Daves.

I hit someone's right handed one in WA and spanked it.

Daves
19th November 2015, 10:56 PM
Dibs on the Fly Z, Daves.

I hit someone's right handed one in WA and spanked it.

Dibs noted Nick.

Has anyone seen spare weights for the Fly Z for sale anywhere other than from Cobra?

jocker
21st November 2015, 05:52 PM
Dibs noted Nick.

Has anyone seen spare weights for the Fly Z for sale anywhere other than from Cobra?

No, but if you find some, I need one, so please let us know if you find them.

Daves
21st November 2015, 10:53 PM
As mentioned in my Bag Lotto thread, I took the Bio Cell for a run today and it worked a treat. I thought it felt a lot like the Fly Z+ with weight back. It was quite long, very long when I stepped on it. But also very straight. I can't comment on forgiveness, because they were all coming out of the middle! The shortened shaft and lead tape have worked very well!

I have a Fly Z head in transit. The comparison will be interesting.