PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne OzGolf Day - National GC (Mon 2/8)

AndyP
23rd July 2004, 10:15 AM
I will be in Melbourne from Wednesday 28 July - Tuesday 3 August. Just wanted to put some feelers out for a round while I am down there.

While I am there, I have lots of family responsibilities that will keep me busy, and was initially told by "she who must be obeyed" that there would be no golfing for me. However, she has now asked if I am taking my golf clubs. I take that as a green light. :wink: It looks like Friday, July 30 is the day I might be able to play, in the morning anyway.

Would really like to play a top 100 course while I am down there too. So are any of you Melbournites interested?

JJJ
24th July 2004, 08:28 AM
Andy,

You'd find Henry would be more then happy to take you to CGC. What's more he's pretty good company on the golf course - it's behind a keyboard he has the occassional issue :)

I'm not sure about Friday morning but I'll see what I can do. Might be able to swing a game at RMGC with one of the boys. Aside from Friday, Sunday morning might work if you'd like to have a game at the National early. We might even be able to entice Kite Boy out of his girlfriend induced retirement. Let me know - I need to have a hit and try out the new toy anyway.

JJ

Jarro
24th July 2004, 08:31 AM
Andy,

Much to Jarro's amazement you'd find Henry would be more then happy to take you to CGC. What's more he's pretty good company on the golf course - it's behind a keyboard he has the occassional issue :)

I'll have to take your word for it mate :wink:

AndyP
24th July 2004, 05:05 PM
Much to Jarro's amazement you'd find Henry would be more then happy to take you to CGC. What's more he's pretty good company on the golf course - it's behind a keyboard he has the occassional issue :)
Yeah, but I wouldn't feel right putting up a thread on the "other" forum. I only make the occasional post now. Don't think I actually had any direct head-butting with Henry anyway.

I'm not sure about Friday morning but I'll see what I can do. Might be able to swing a game at RMGC with one of the boys. Aside from Friday, Sunday morning might work if you'd like to have a game at the National early. We might even be able to entice Kite Boy out of his girlfriend induced retirement. Let me know - I need to have a hit and try out the new toy anyway.

Sunday morning is definitely out for me. Parents will be visiting then. Plus I am going to the footy in the arvo, Melbourne v Hawthorn (Go the Hawks! Yay team! :cry: ). We are staying in South Yarra, and I don't think there would be much chance of me stealing our one car for a trip down to the bottom of the Peninsula anyway.

Would love to do the National round on another Melbourne visit if the offer is still there. :) This trip has been organised and paid for by the outlaws, so I must do the right thing. 8-[

Let me know if you can swing a Friday round. If you can that would be great.

JJJ
24th July 2004, 05:53 PM
Andy,

I'll see what I have on Friday and if I can sneak off in the morning. Might try for a very early game at somewhere on the sand belt.

JJ

AndyP
24th July 2004, 07:50 PM
JJ

I have no problems with very early, although I am sure I will have some temperature adjustment issues. :roll:

goughy
25th July 2004, 01:36 AM
Andy, you've been in canberra on and off for like weeks now. What temperature adjustment do you think you need to go through that you haven't already got covered :? :wink:

AndyP
25th July 2004, 06:51 PM
Andy, you've been in canberra on and off for like weeks now. What temperature adjustment do you think you need to go through that you haven't already got covered :? :wink:
True. Maybe I've got too used to Brisbane weather over the last two weeks. 8) And it doesn't stop it from being bloody cold either.

AndyP
5th August 2004, 08:26 AM
Had the Melbourne OzGolf Day (which I guess is the first) on Monday of this week, with JJJ. Played 31 holes at National on the Mornington Peninsula. Played 13 on the Ocean course, and 18 on the Old (although we were running out of light at the end).

Thought the Old course was awesome, I loved it. :D Ocean wasn’t too bad, however I can certainly see why JJJ has some issues with it.

Really enjoyed the day, despite the on and off drizzling rain. It was pretty windy, although JJJ will tell you that it was only a slight breeze. I guess I’m not used to hitting a good 3W into a par 3 and seeing it fall short. :shock:

Thank you for the whole experience, JJJ. Very much appreciated. Hope we can catch up on a Queensland course in the future. 8)

Sorry onewood, no scores to report, we played best ball.

BrisVegas
5th August 2004, 09:34 AM
Awesome! Glad to see you liked the Old Course Andy. It's a wild layout. I was amazed at some of the elevation changes and views.... :shock:

Did JJJ crack one over the corner on 17? When he played with me he hit is so far left off the tee that we all assumed it was a lost ball, but turned out to have cut right across the dogleg and finished up merely a short iron from the green (par 5!). :D :D

I am heading back to Melbourne again in Nov (27-30) and will be on the prowl for a sandbelt round.... Hope to try and catch up with JJJ/Schank/KiteBoy et al. again....

AndyP
5th August 2004, 09:54 AM
Awesome! Glad to see you liked the Old Course Andy. It's a wild layout. I was amazed at some of the elevation changes and views.... :shock:
Indeed! Best views I have seen on a golf course.

Did JJJ crack one over the corner on 17?
Not this time. Don't think his driver was up for the challenge, plus it was almost dark.

I am heading back to Melbourne again in Nov (27-30) and will be on the prowl for a sandbelt round.... Hope to try and catch up with JJJ/Schank/KiteBoy et al. again....
Have you got the travelling bug or something?
Are you going to try and play somewhere new?

BrisVegas
5th August 2004, 10:00 AM
Just picked up a couple of cheap flights with jetstar. We bought some flights to Melbourne the other week when they were on sale just on the spur of the moment. Making a 4 day weekend out of it.

I got a few friends in Melbourne and out at Horsham, so we are planning a drive along the Great Ocean Road. I'm sure I could find the time for a round on one of the famous sandbelt courses if someone from down there wanted a guest... :wink:

Next week's trip to Tassie was planned months ago as our "big" holiday for the year. Again, it came about because of cheap flights direct Brisbane to Hobart.... No more travelling for me for a while. The house has sucked up any spare funds for the forseeable future.... :roll:

AndyP
5th August 2004, 10:27 AM
A few good golf courses at the start of the Great Ocean Rd, near Geelong. Warrnambool GC is rated 85th in the country (at the other end of the Rd). Horsham is at 52. If only it was a golfing holiday. :wink:

JJJ
5th August 2004, 02:04 PM
BrisVegas,

Give us a little warning and I'll see if we can sneak onto RM. Might be worth smiling at Judge and getting a game at Ranfurlie as well. On the Great Ocean Road Trip I'd recommend Barwon Heads and 13th Beach (the Beach Course not the Greek Course) as well as Port Fairy (sesational place to stay) and as Andy has said Warrnambool and Horsham if you come back inland.

JJ

BrisVegas
5th August 2004, 08:40 PM
RM.. :smt023 I'll plan around it!