PDA

View Full Version : Jarryd Hayne 49er

Pages : [1] 2

highballin
16th August 2015, 09:11 PM
How good was this.

http://www.news.com.au/video/id-Q1bHUxdzow-mDM1ffMcs1ZtCbHF5ap7G/Hayne-impresses-on-debut

Hope he makes the cut would love to see him make it!

Bitter
16th August 2015, 09:34 PM
I also hope he does really well. So many people want him to fail and with no good reason.

Johnny Canuck
16th August 2015, 10:47 PM
That was a great run. Hit the hole quick and took a huge gain.

Jazz18
16th August 2015, 11:34 PM
Looks like he belonged there. Took some guts walking away from the NRL and go to the states. Good luck to him.

BenM
16th August 2015, 11:43 PM
One of NSW's finest. As a QLD supporter I'm quite happy to see him over there, and I hope he has enough success to keep him there for a fair few years :)

TheNuclearOne
17th August 2015, 12:03 AM
If not for the slight stumble he was going all the way.

PeteyD
17th August 2015, 05:44 AM
Lots to like about his debut. His kick returning was impressive as well. Blocking and route running need work, as you might expect from someone that has not done it before.

I would love to see him get a contract, still a big ask but he has got a crapload further than most people would have thought.

On another note, Jesse Williams played in Seattle's first preseason game, finally getting some plays.

kiwitown
17th August 2015, 10:25 AM
great debut..hope fully he can win a contract. ..good offensive line work that gave him the hole to go through its the short 2 yard runs that will make the difference.

highballin
23rd August 2015, 09:49 PM
Showtime tomorrow

http://www.foxsports.com.au/us-sports/us-view-jarryd-hayne-needs-to-hone-his-skills-as-a-kick-returner-in-second-nfl-outing-against-dallas/story-e6frf6ju-1227495050938

highballin
24th August 2015, 11:36 AM
Great first half must be close to making the roster me thinks!

PeteyD
24th August 2015, 11:38 AM
Deoends on who he is up against. Will have a look tonight, but i see an impressive return whre he uses a block is up on fartbook

highballin
24th August 2015, 12:22 PM
Great run as running back gave them the old don't argue fend. Loving this!

TheNuclearOne
24th August 2015, 06:22 PM
He's sure making every post a winner. Hope he goes great.

highballin
24th August 2015, 07:48 PM
49ers own website

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/What-We-Learned-from-49ers-vs-Cowboys/fe4fd10c-f308-4bca-9946-dbc1782aedbb

If has not already made the roster one more good game would seal it. What an awesome effort that would be.

PeteyD
24th August 2015, 07:50 PM
Still a long way to go. But he did play as the starting kick returner today. That is pretty huge.

Johnny Canuck
24th August 2015, 08:44 PM
Still a long way to go. But he did play as the starting kick returner today. That is pretty huge.

That's probably his best shot. It would then allow him to learn more about the running back role.

jimandr
24th August 2015, 09:14 PM
I was one who said he wouldn't make it.

But now I think he will.

Running back was always going to be difficult, particularly if he was required to block and/or run decoy patterns. He was always a chance of being a good kick returner, but the challenge was to make the side in another position.

He has shown enough to get an occasional down as a running back, and he's shown plenty of talent as a kick returner. They haven't passed the ball to him yet, and in the right situation he could do well catching screen passes and making ground in the open field.

Good luck to him.

PeteyD
24th August 2015, 09:15 PM
Yea he dropped a pass last week, getting hit at the same time.

Watching the 49ers coverage on game pass, the commentators love him.

highballin
25th August 2015, 06:11 AM
Watching the 49ers coverage on game pass, the commentators love him.

Hard not to with these stats

"So let's quickly recap Hayne's efforts today..

RUNNING BACK
- 8 carries
- total of 54 yards (most yardage of 49ers RBs today)
- longest rush of 34 yards (most yardage of the game from either team)

SPECIAL TEAMS
- Punt returns: 3 returns, long return of 34 yards (others were 27 yard & 23 yards), 28 yard average
- Kick-off coverage: Made a 50-50 tackle to slow down the player"

PeteyD
25th August 2015, 06:50 AM
These is a bit more to running back than just yards. His pass blocking was ok. He needs to learn the sideline is your friend. Yards went begging on the long run when he cut back into the defenders.
I have gone from expecting him to be cut to being quietly confident he can get there.

Monsta
25th August 2015, 10:57 AM
Only one problem, he was tackled by the kicker............ thats a BIG no-no in NFL.

The players will give him so much shit about it, the kickers in NFL are not hired for their athletic prowess (its the equivalent of being tackled by the special needs kid ;))

Still glad for him doing so well and he now knows to run away from the dude kicking the ball............

PeteyD
25th August 2015, 02:22 PM
Kicker was an aussie punter i believe.

Johnny Canuck
25th August 2015, 02:44 PM
Kicker was an aussie punter i believe.

That makes it closer to acceptable.

PeteyD
25th August 2015, 05:30 PM
Apparently he has copped a team mates fine for it! ! Love it.

highballin
25th August 2015, 07:16 PM
Read an interesting article today where the journalist said Hayne could be paving the way for other Rugby players to be scouted by the NFL. Gotta say I don't think there are too many others who would do as well as Hayne. Speed size agility vision great hands and fearless.

Can't think of too many others in league maybe some in Union but I don't watch Union.

What do you think any others who would give a good showing?

PeteyD
25th August 2015, 07:18 PM
They need to have the desire to do it. Not sure that too many would.

backintheswing
25th August 2015, 07:25 PM
Inglis at his peak. Falou as well. Can't think of too many others.

highballin
25th August 2015, 07:57 PM
They need to have the desire to do it. Not sure that too many would.

Money can create a lot of desire

Inglis at his peak. Falou as well. Can't think of too many others.

Yeah they are both big enough and fast enough, maybe not as quick off the mark as Hayne but a handful once in motion.

jimandr
25th August 2015, 10:06 PM
Martin Taupau was on the news tonight expressing his desire. I thought about it after seeing the story, and I decided that none of the forwards could carry the ball. They don't have the speed off the mark and side-stepping (or cut backs, as they call them) ability. Some of them may be able to defend, but surely they couldn't do it better than USA college guys who have been doing it for years.

Some of the strong, very quick and elusive guys may be able to do Hayne style work. People like Michael Jennings and James Tedesco might be a show. I'm not sure about the tall guys like Inglis and Tuivasa-Sheck.

Israel Folou could probably do it. I'm expecting to see a story with his name in it. He'll do anything for money.

Eca
25th August 2015, 10:17 PM
2 weeks in a row they have a Jarryd Hayne highlights on NFL website. He wont clear waivers if 49ers dont sign him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap3000000515102/Preseason-Week-2-Jarryd-Hayne-highlights

highballin
26th August 2015, 06:17 AM
The schedule. http://www.49ers.com/schedule/season-schedule.html

Might be doing the Game Pass 7day trial on Sunday and get the last pre season game the following Friday as well. Then if he makes the cut will sus out the Game Pass options.

PeteyD
26th August 2015, 06:27 AM
Game pass is great if you are into nfl.

Seven has the coverage and if he does get there they will probably show a fair bit if the 49ers games.

mrbluu
26th August 2015, 08:11 AM

Seven has the coverage and if he does get there they will probably show a fair bit if the 49ers games.
I thought Foxtel and ESPN have them rights??? I remember when Mills and Delly was at St Marys they showed pretty much all their games on ESPN on top of their normal college BBall coverage. I'm hoping Foxtel and ESPN will do the same.

PeteyD
26th August 2015, 08:34 AM
Nfl rights are a bit odd. Different broadcasters have different rights.

highballin
26th August 2015, 09:28 AM

Always liked the game but up until now no reason to follow a team.

Been a bit lost ever since Super League tore the heart out of league. Used to be an avid Manly supporter but ditched them when they shafted Norths. Had no team to follow since might be a 49er this season.

BayBum
26th August 2015, 04:10 PM
I could see Marty Taupau playing the game.

Folau at wide receiver would be interesting, probably the best air ball player in both union & league

JADO75
26th August 2015, 05:54 PM
Maybe Josh Mansour or Jason Tamahoweveruspellit

jimandr
26th August 2015, 06:06 PM
I thought Foxtel and ESPN have them rights??? I remember when Mills and Delly was at St Marys they showed pretty much all their games on ESPN on top of their normal college BBall coverage. I'm hoping Foxtel and ESPN will do the same.

Last year 7 showed three games from early Monday morning onwards, and ESPN showed a Sunday night game that started 10.00 our time, and then their Monday night game.

The ESPN games are set in concrete, but maybe 7 has a choice of which games they take. If Hayne makes the roster it would be great for 7 to get his game.

There might also be a Thursday night game (Fri morning our time) for the first few weeks. There was last year.

highballin
30th August 2015, 08:51 AM
The show goes on today.

Signed up for the NFL GamePass free trial. But won't get to watch it until tonight.

Will get Friday's game in as well then cancel subscription. Might go for the follow one team option if Jarryd makes it which I think he will.

PeteyD
30th August 2015, 09:00 AM
First cut after this game, 90 to 75 I think. Lets see if he makes that first.

highballin
30th August 2015, 10:18 AM
First cut after this game, 90 to 75 I think. Lets see if he makes that first.

Haha yes waiting to see. But if they don't take him someone else will I reckon.

PeteyD
30th August 2015, 11:11 AM
I think so.

TheNuclearOne
30th August 2015, 11:25 AM
With the story and exposure backing up the early form he's a no brainer for someone i reckon. Be hard for the 49'ers to let him go elsewhere especially given they've put in the hard yards on him. Some of the NRL poaching by the AFL was almost as much about the exposure/profile as the perceived playing impact imo.

PeteyD
30th August 2015, 11:46 AM
Niners have a very good coach for new guys as well. One of the lineman had never played before so they have history. Think he was a shotputter or something.

TheNuclearOne
30th August 2015, 11:51 AM
Hope it all works out then. Looking good.

LoveGolf2012
30th August 2015, 12:34 PM
Reported 10M contract if he gets one..handy !

3Puttpete
30th August 2015, 01:39 PM
Reported 10M contract if he gets one..handy !

If that's true the $10 million isn't the important number. The big issue is how much of it is guaranteed. Their contracts aren't always as we would imagine them to be.

LoveGolf2012
30th August 2015, 01:40 PM
Yeah that's true mate..but you'd think at least 25% so still good $$$

Pencil
30th August 2015, 01:59 PM
If that's true the $10 million isn't the important number. The big issue is how much of it is guaranteed. Their contracts aren't always as we would imagine them to be.

The NFL has got to have the worst contract situation in any sport.

Gw 86
30th August 2015, 02:09 PM
Just need to keep in mind that nfl teams will cut players mid season no questions asked if there not proforming. He needs to be on top of his game every week. As for other players going to try out i think it would have to be in a similar role . It would take to long to learn how to read the game to play linebaker .

live4golf
1st September 2015, 07:23 AM
He made the first cut.

PeteyD
1st September 2015, 07:39 AM
If he is still there Sunday is the key. Mark Davis, who is the #4 back and most likely to have to give way if Hayne makes it is still there too.

Buzz
1st September 2015, 07:49 AM
Hey guys. How much is NFL game pass after the free trial ?

I think Hayne makes the final roster now. They've invested too much in him to just cut him at the last hurdle and then see a rival like the Seahawks - who were also interested early - pick him up and reap the benefits. I think he makes the 53 but agree if he doesn't keep improving he could get cut mid season.

Geez even playing one regular season game would be a huge achievement.

highballin
1st September 2015, 09:25 AM
Buzz see link below. I will probably do the $129.99 option just follow the 49ers if they take Hayne.

https://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/secure/packages

PeteyD
1st September 2015, 09:26 AM
Playing the pre season is a huge achievement. Getting a team to include an untried 28 year old in the 90 man roster was huge, particularly given average life expectancy of a running back is 3.5 years, and they come out of college so are finished well before 28.

I want him to make it and hope he does. I think even if he gets cut now, someone will put him in the practice roster to give him a year to learn running back better.

highballin
1st September 2015, 09:36 AM
If he is still there Sunday is the key. Mark Davis, who is the #4 back and most likely to have to give way if Hayne makes it is still there too.

Davis looked good I thought would be surprised if they cut him

Eca
1st September 2015, 09:53 AM
Davis looked good I thought would be surprised if they cut him
Niner nation experts seem to think they both make it & Hunter (I think the name) the returning injured Running back will get cut.

PeteyD
1st September 2015, 10:00 AM
That would be good for all but hunter

sms316
1st September 2015, 10:21 AM
Elvis is retweeting an anonymous account so it must be true. Perhaps Grunt can verify?

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh170/smsmith1976/433BDC93-8654-4807-A01F-C5EB1C91B40A.png (http://s256.photobucket.com/user/smsmith1976/media/433BDC93-8654-4807-A01F-C5EB1C91B40A.png.html)

Eca
1st September 2015, 10:37 AM
That would be good for all but hunter
Media line of questioning is not even making the cut but will he start as the Punt returner. Hope he makes it.
Sux for hunter alright.

Johnny Canuck
1st September 2015, 11:17 AM
Media line of questioning is not even making the cut but will he start as the Punt returner. Hope he makes it.
Sux for hunter alright.

From the plays I have seen, he is very good as a returner. Above average speed and a very good instinct at finding the holes. He's got the things that you can't teach.

jimandr
1st September 2015, 11:43 AM
First game is an ESPN Monday Night Football west coast game, starting at 12.00ish Tuesday our time.

So we will see it, and so will all of the USA.

If he plays and succeeds, it will be really big news in the States, and we'll probably get a bit sick of hearing about it (but we'll be loving it).

BUSHY
1st September 2015, 08:31 PM
FYI.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/01/6d9a2cc72734779f965e58194d0219e2.jpg

Eca
1st September 2015, 08:50 PM
From the plays I have seen, he is very good as a returner. Above average speed and a very good instinct at finding the holes. He's got the things that you can't teach.
And those instinctive ball switch away from tacklers. I don't think he had much training or chance to work on any pass block as RB so he is likely punt return and option play as RB coz he can catch better than the 3 ahead of him.

Eca
2nd September 2015, 07:23 PM
Geez.. he hasnt made the squad yet and he is on Madden 16' already.. & his Jersey has sold out from the official store lol..
He better make it now...

highballin
2nd September 2015, 10:17 PM
Geez.. he hasnt made the squad yet and he is on Madden 16' already.. & his Jersey has sold out from the official store lol..
He better make it now...

Yeah name is in Pen now not pencil

BayBum
4th September 2015, 08:37 PM
Another impressive pre season run.

I had an actual LOL when he bumped off the defender on the side line.

Also noted that he took some advice and learned that "the sideline is his friend" - Good call Petey :wink: Albiet, he had no other option, BUT he didn't try to step back inside and keep going. Coaches will note that down I'm sure.

Funny a game that takes so long to play (with so little action, comparatively speaking), Is so time precious.

I'm buying a 49'ers hat lol #HaynePlane

Captain Nemo
4th September 2015, 08:54 PM
I'd say he's a def lock after today's game.
Good luck to him.

PeteyD
4th September 2015, 09:19 PM
Next week is a totally different game though. HAve not watched the game yet but his stats were pretty impressive.

Watching Seahawks Raiders at the moment. I think Jesse Williams might have just done enough to get in the 53 at Seattle.

Eca
4th September 2015, 09:22 PM
Another impressive pre season run.

I had an actual LOL when he bumped off the defender on the side line.

Also noted that he took some advice and learned that "the sideline is his friend" - Good call Petey :wink: Albiet, he had no other option, BUT he didn't try to step back inside and keep going. Coaches will note that down I'm sure.

Funny a game that takes so long to play (with so little action, comparatively speaking), Is so time precious.

I'm buying a 49'ers hat lol #HaynePlane

http://gifyu.com/images/HayneCrushV2.gif

BUSHY
4th September 2015, 09:23 PM
Next week is a totally different game though. HAve not watched the game yet but his stats were pretty impressive.

Watching Seahawks Raiders at the moment. I think Jesse Williams might have just done enough to get in the 53 at Seattle.

You're right, but with each game he's only getting better. I really can't wait for the season to start. What's he worth if/when he's in??

PeteyD
4th September 2015, 09:27 PM
Dunno depends on how he goes. He will be on the rookie guaranty contract I imagine. If he can learn the extra running back stuff like pass blocking and downfield blocking he could end up playing for a few years.

TheNuclearOne
4th September 2015, 09:42 PM
Ellington went rather well today.

Eca
4th September 2015, 09:55 PM
Dunno depends on how he goes. He will be on the rookie guaranty contract I imagine. If he can learn the extra running back stuff like pass blocking and downfield blocking he could end up playing for a few years.
RB that can pass block & catch with average running (which he is not) is valued more than a straight out running back. See how he improves as a pass blocker coz their starting RB ain't that great in that area.

highballin
5th September 2015, 05:48 AM
Makes me laugh when they get excited about dropping a shoulder on some one or making a tackle. They ain't seen nothing yet when he knows what he is doing and runs the right angles etc etc.

They made a big deal about picking up a bouncing ball. He would get his ass kicked in league if he didn't pick that ball up. He is only doing what comes natural. Can't wait till he puts a hit on some one because he can hit with the best of them. Front on kaboom I mean!

Congrats to him on what he has done so far. Think he has made it which is freaking awesome if he has!

PeteyD
6th September 2015, 06:55 AM
He's in. Unbelievable achievement.

AlexMc
6th September 2015, 06:58 AM
It's official - he's in.

I have tix for the home game against the Ravens. Hopefully he gets picked for the game squad now!

highballin
6th September 2015, 07:17 AM
Well what an achievement can't wait for the season to start now. I've always liked NFL now I have a reason to get into it!

Scary thing is I don't think he has done anything really special yet by his standards

wazandnic
6th September 2015, 08:48 AM
Sensational. Look forward to following the season.

Funny I know it was always touted that gridiron players were soft having to wear helmets and pads etc. The way the NRL is going with so many players laying down, so many infringements for shoulder charges, etc etc... IMO it is making the NFL look harder and more full on. Great to see them just hammer each other even with a helmet on!

Can't wait...

Eca
6th September 2015, 09:08 AM
Yup he is in! Congrats to him & exciting season
Hope he stays healthy.
You're right he is doing things instinctively & he will get so much better as season progress.

sms316
6th September 2015, 09:38 AM
So many bandwagon jumpers. When is PeteyD getting some 49ers gear? ;)

PeteyD
6th September 2015, 09:46 AM
Never.

JADO75
6th September 2015, 09:48 AM
When JH announced he wanted to give the NFL a shake I believed he was no hope, happy to see him prove people like myself wrong

sms316
6th September 2015, 10:09 AM
Never. You know you want to. Maybe you should watch Super Bowl XXIV for some inspiration. Montana, Rice, Lott etc. now that was a great team. Steve Young was the backup QB.

PeteyD
6th September 2015, 10:27 AM
3 of my favourite players. Still hate the 49ers. Look at you bandwagonning.

sms316
6th September 2015, 10:40 AM
3 of my favourite players. Still hate the 49ers. Look at you bandwagonning.Pfft. I remember being filthy at Lott going to the Raiders. I really got into watching the NFL back when Don Lane used to do a one hour show each week. I'm by no means a hardcore follower but will probably watch a dozen games a year.

live4golf
6th September 2015, 10:52 AM
I am on the bandwagon

timah!
6th September 2015, 10:53 AM
I am on the bandwagon

+1

highballin
6th September 2015, 11:01 AM
I am on the bandwagon

I'm on

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2015, 11:50 AM
Sensational. Look forward to following the season.

Funny I know it was always touted that gridiron players were soft having to wear helmets and pads etc. The way the NRL is going with so many players laying down, so many infringements for shoulder charges, etc etc... IMO it is making the NFL look harder and more full on. Great to see them just hammer each other even with a helmet on!

Can't wait...

http://youtu.be/v-1MQ0Cnbhs

What a lot of people don't realise is a lot of the biggest hits don't involve the guy running or catching the ball. Getting blindsided on a block really sucks.

BUSHY
6th September 2015, 11:55 AM
I'm on

Me too.

highballin
6th September 2015, 01:36 PM
http://mobile.news.com.au/video/id-dva29kdzpxvllFEFIZ_Iy9vsV5AQNoZr/The-plays-that-got-Jarryd-Hayne-on-the-49ers-roster

PeteyD
6th September 2015, 04:30 PM
So good guys. Enjoy the bandwagon. I hope he gets plenty of time on the field. Knowing the 9er defense he should get plenty of kick off returns ;)

AndyP
6th September 2015, 05:30 PM
Meh.

wazandnic
6th September 2015, 05:35 PM
http://youtu.be/v-1MQ0Cnbhs

What a lot of people don't realise is a lot of the biggest hits don't involve the guy running or catching the ball. Getting blindsided on a block really sucks.

Yeah that stuff! ;)

3Puttpete
6th September 2015, 06:18 PM

Total, average per year, guaranteed

PeteyD
6th September 2015, 06:35 PM
I thin the guaranteed might go up since he made the 53. Pretty sure the 108000 was for the preseason.

Gw 86
6th September 2015, 06:54 PM
The real stuff starts now hopefully he gets to suit up first game and keep progressing, meeds to get lower and protect that ball.

BUSHY
6th September 2015, 07:00 PM

Total, average per year, guaranteed

I reckon he can cash in on sponsorship too seeing the US is a much bigger market. Bigger companies paying bigger $$

PeteyD
6th September 2015, 07:04 PM
Oh yea. Marketing while he is a big story he should be able to cash in a bit.

BUSHY
6th September 2015, 07:16 PM
Considering the 49ers store sold out of his jersey in the second week of pre season I suspect he'll make a few bob.

Johnny Canuck
6th September 2015, 10:44 PM
Considering the 49ers store sold out of his jersey in the second week of pre season I suspect he'll make a few bob.

They probably only made about 10 jerseys in preparation.

jimandr
7th September 2015, 04:23 PM

There have been a few stories in the media speculating about how Hayne will benefit financially.

The consensus seems to be that he has signed a standard rookie contract, which usually means about 500k a year for his first three years. Good money by our standards, but chickenfeed in USA Pro Sport terms. He wouldn't be getting anything from merchandise sales.

He may be worth a fair bit in endorsement deals if he goes well, though. He already has some name recognition through his novelty value, so Aussie linked businesses like Outback Steakhouse might be interested. USA is such a big market that even something minor is worth a fortune on a nationwide basis.

If he can last three years then he will be in the big money as a free agent. US Pro Sports isn't like Australia in that respect. Nobody expects the players to be loyal to their original club, and the fans normally congratulate their favourites for scoring big money and they continue to admire them even if playing for their most hated rivals. Hayne will be 31 by then though. He'll either be a superstar, or out of the game by then.

mrbluu
9th September 2015, 09:23 PM
In case anyone hasn't seen this.
https://youtu.be/gnblGoB4WnY

solarbear
10th September 2015, 10:27 AM
Good on him. I wasn't sure he would have the speed. That was the biggest issue. The guys at RB, WR, LB and DB are insanely fast, Olympic sprinter speed over 40 yards. What an athlete Haynes must be!

Even at the 600k US he will get this year he is making more than most of Rugby League. Seeing as how he will likely only be playing special teams, at first, that is is a lot of money to play 15 or so snaps a game.

The 49ers are a pretty boring team. They don't have a lot of exciting players. His play so far has been a big boost to their publicity. There is a good chance he can stick around for a while based on that alone. NFL is an insanely complicated game. How hard he works in practice to learn the techniques and how well he can learn the playbooks will determine how long he lasts. If he could turn himself into a 3rd down pass catcher to compliment his special teams play, like the Giant's David Meggett of old, he could be a real asset and have a long career.

Johnny Canuck
10th September 2015, 10:42 AM
Good on him. I wasn't sure he would have the speed. That was the biggest issue. The guys at RB, WR, LB and DB are insanely fast, Olympic sprinter speed over 40 yards. What an athlete Haynes must be!

Even at the 600k US he will get this year he is making more than most of Rugby League. Seeing as how he will likely only be playing special teams, at first, that is is a lot of money to play 15 or so snaps a game.

The 49ers are a pretty boring team. They don't have a lot of exciting players. His play so far has been a big boost to their publicity. There is a good chance he can stick around for a while based on that alone. NFL is an insanely complicated game. How hard he works in practice to learn the techniques and how well he can learn the playbooks will determine how long he lasts. If he could turn himself into a 3rd down pass catcher to compliment his special teams play, like the Giant's David Meggett of old, he could be a real asset and have a long career.

That is where you were wrong.

His 40 yard dash time, would have placed him equal 6th out of all of the running backs at the NFL combine this year.

He has ridiculous speed.

I read an article about it and they were saying that he has only had a sprint coach for a short while and has already seen amazing gains. He is a freak athlete.

3Puttpete
10th September 2015, 10:48 AM
I think you just agreed with him

PeteyD
10th September 2015, 10:50 AM
He is a freak. Only way to have even had a chance. I am still amazed at what he has done.

49ers not that boring, they lost the superbowl 2 years ago, have just moved into a big flash new stadium, and Kaep is always worth watching. They are not particularly vertical, which might be what you mean. Hayne has certainly been a big story and can't have hurt their publicity. Biggest problem is they are on the wrong side of the bay, Oaktown is where it is at ;)

15 snaps might be generous if he only plays punt return, although probably not enough if he plays kick off return ;)

Johnny Canuck
10th September 2015, 10:54 AM
I think you just agreed with him

Should have said "were". Too much concentration on the dump that I was taking at the time.

3Puttpete
10th September 2015, 10:57 AM
Should have said "were". Too much concentration on the dump that I was taking at the time.

Understandable

backintheswing
10th September 2015, 11:01 AM
Have you guys seen his dad play rugby league. He had serious pace.

highballin
10th September 2015, 11:03 AM
Hope this is accurate

http://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/san-francisco-49ers-release-unofficial-depth-chart/story-fnq2nnu6-1227520623420

PeteyD
10th September 2015, 11:07 AM
That looks like what I would expect.

3Puttpete
10th September 2015, 11:22 AM
Hope this is accurate

http://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/san-francisco-49ers-release-unofficial-depth-chart/story-fnq2nnu6-1227520623420

Talking up the Vikings to make any result look better for Hayne.

"The Vikings are a team loaded with talent"

Maybe they can all play the piano.

Johnny Canuck
10th September 2015, 12:04 PM
Talking up the Vikings to make any result look better for Hayne.

"The Vikings are a team loaded with talent"

Maybe they can all play the piano.

I chuckled at the "dark horse Super Bowl contender" comment.

I haven't read a single article that mentions them as a contender.

PeteyD
10th September 2015, 12:11 PM
The Vikings? nah no chance.

Courty
10th September 2015, 04:51 PM
I am no NSW or Parramatta supporter, and I generally disliked Hayne as a rugby league player, but I have surprisingly found myself really supporting Hayne in his attempt to make the 49ers roster. Consider my interest in NFL officially 'piqued'. :)

TheNuclearOne
10th September 2015, 05:14 PM
I am no NSW or Parramatta supporter, and I generally disliked Hayne as a rugby league player, but I have surprisingly found myself really supporting Hayne in his attempt to make the 49ers roster. Consider my interest in NFL officially 'piqued'. :)

Couldn't have said it better for myself. Now barracking for him all the way and i hope he goes far.

solarbear
11th September 2015, 08:06 AM
That is where you were wrong.

His 40 yard dash time, would have placed him equal 6th out of all of the running backs at the NFL combine this year.

He has ridiculous speed.

I read an article about it and they were saying that he has only had a sprint coach for a short while and has already seen amazing gains. He is a freak athlete.

Hence me saying what an amazing athlete he must be.

solarbear
11th September 2015, 08:11 AM
He is a freak. Only way to have even had a chance. I am still amazed at what he has done.

49ers not that boring, they lost the superbowl 2 years ago, have just moved into a big flash new stadium, and Kaep is always worth watching. They are not particularly vertical, which might be what you mean. Hayne has certainly been a big story and can't have hurt their publicity. Biggest problem is they are on the wrong side of the bay, Oaktown is where it is at ;)

15 snaps might be generous if he only plays punt return, although probably not enough if he plays kick off return ;)

By boring I mean they just don't have that special player(s) that sells shirts. The one that gets people excited to see them and that the media talks about. They lost their All Pro receiver after that Superbowl, who was the sort of guy who sold shirts. Nobody else has really emerged yet. Lots of teams in the NFL are in the same boat. Haynes at least gets them mentioned more on espn and is a great special interest story for the team.

BUSHY
11th September 2015, 08:24 AM
Reggie Bush and Kap would sell a few shirts wouldn't they??

mrbluu
11th September 2015, 08:26 AM
Reggae Bush and Kap would sell a few shirts wouldn't they??
Are u saying that cos Reggie is your son???

BUSHY
11th September 2015, 08:27 AM
Are u saying that cos Reggie is your son???

Brother from a different mother. He's a different shade to me.

BUSHY
11th September 2015, 08:29 AM
They might be looking at it from a marketing perspective too. Kind of like Beckham to LA Galaxy.

Not the same level but similar ideology?

PeteyD
11th September 2015, 12:58 PM
Doesnt matter who sells the shirts merchanisising is pooled. TIcket sales as well.

solarbear
11th September 2015, 03:06 PM
Reggie Bush and Kap would sell a few shirts wouldn't they??

I am sure they excite 49er fans but I am not sure they are exciting to non-49er fans. Which is why Haynes is so good for them. It's a story that excites the league and has gotten them a ton of publicity beyond their normal market.

Johnny Canuck
11th September 2015, 04:01 PM
I am sure they excite 49er fans but I am not sure they are exciting to non-49er fans. Which is why Haynes is so good for them. It's a story that excites the league and has gotten them a ton of publicity beyond their normal market.

In the massive market known as Australia.

3Puttpete
11th September 2015, 04:03 PM

Hayne. No s

Johnny Canuck
11th September 2015, 04:22 PM
By boring I mean they just don't have that special player(s) that sells shirts. The one that gets people excited to see them and that the media talks about. They lost their All Pro receiver after that Superbowl, who was the sort of guy who sold shirts. Nobody else has really emerged yet. Lots of teams in the NFL are in the same boat. Haynes at least gets them mentioned more on espn and is a great special interest story for the team.

A couple things on this:

The year they lost the Super Bowl, they had the #1 selling Jersey in the league with Colin Kaepernick. They have a guy capable of selling some shirts.

They had 3 guys in the top 25 in 2013, none of which were Michael Crabtree. Crabtree never sold jerseys because he under performed and the fans also disliked him for his highly publicised holdout after being drafted.

Crabtree was never an all pro and he left this year as a free agent, not after the Super Bowl loss.

solarbear
12th September 2015, 07:26 PM
A couple things on this:

The year they lost the Super Bowl, they had the #1 selling Jersey in the league with Colin Kaepernick. They have a guy capable of selling some shirts.

I should have said that the one player with Star potential rather than All Pro... coulda swore he made all pro one year but couldn't be bothered to google it. And yeah Crabtree is a douche.

They are a boring team and no one I know beyond one 49er fan is excited to see them on TV. Of course, with the salary capping there are lots of boring teams. There was lots of talk on nfl.com about him. I can't help but think that helped him a little.

Hayne has done great in preseason on special teams. Here is hoping he does well.

Johnny Canuck
12th September 2015, 09:14 PM
I should have said that the one player with Star potential rather than All Pro... coulda swore he made all pro one year but couldn't be bothered to google it. And yeah Crabtree is a douche.

They are a boring team and no one I know beyond one 49er fan is excited to see them on TV. Of course, with the salary capping there are lots of boring teams. There was lots of talk on nfl.com about him. I can't help but think that helped him a little.

Hayne has done great in preseason on special teams. Here is hoping he does well.

I have always hated Crabtree.

They were quite exciting when Kaepernick could play. Hopefully he has a bounce back year. He was terrible last year.

PeteyD
13th September 2015, 07:19 AM
I have to like crabtree now go crabtree you twatmonkey. Hayne is an interesting story and the commentators have definitely used it as something to talk about. But being football and taking 4 hours to play 1 hour they have a lot of gaps to fill.

College ball on today. Heaps on espn. If you like nfl watch some college ball. Oregon v Michigan state would be the pick if the games. Go ducks.

BUSHY
13th September 2015, 11:53 AM
College ball on today. Heaps on espn. If you like nfl watch some college ball. Oregon v Michigan state would be the pick if the games. Go ducks.

Some good games going so far. OU v Tennessee going to 2nd overtime.

Johnny Canuck
13th September 2015, 12:33 PM
I have to like crabtree now go crabtree you twatmonkey. Hayne is an interesting story and the commentators have definitely used it as something to talk about. But being football and taking 4 hours to play 1 hour they have a lot of gaps to fill.

I think Crabtree will have a decent year. He is playing for a contract and Amari Cooper will be getting a lot of attention on the other side of the field. The raiders could have a passing game this year.

LoveGolf2012
13th September 2015, 01:10 PM
Crabtree was a dead set gun at Texas Tech,since then he's a bit like Tebow

PeteyD
13th September 2015, 02:07 PM
I think Crabtree will have a decent year. He is playing for a contract and Amari Cooper will be getting a lot of attention on the other side of the field. The raiders could have a passing game this year.

First year in a long time I am going in with optimism. Front 7 on defense should be devastating, unfortunately the secondary is not so strong. Should have an aerial game, Cooper is looking great, and a couple of TE's and Seth Roberts showed a lot of promise. Might even have a run game with the upgrades to the O Line. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Johnny Canuck
13th September 2015, 02:12 PM
First year in a long time I am going in with optimism. Front 7 on defense should be devastating, unfortunately the secondary is not so strong. Should have an aerial game, Cooper is looking great, and a couple of TE's and Seth Roberts showed a lot of promise. Might even have a run game with the upgrades to the O Line. Tomorrow will be interesting.

I am curious to see what Latavius Murray can do. He showed some good things in limited time last year.

I also think that Carr is going to exceed expectations.

PeteyD
13th September 2015, 06:56 PM
I think he had superstar written all over him. Fingers crossed

Steve57
15th September 2015, 11:29 AM
He's playing!!
http://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/live-jarryd-haynes-san-francisco-49ers-v-minnesota-vikings/story-fnq2nnu6-1227527731374

highballin
15th September 2015, 11:29 AM
He's in the team! Yahoo go get get em Jarryd

http://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/live-jarryd-haynes-san-francisco-49ers-v-minnesota-vikings/story-fnq2nnu6-1227527731374

highballin
15th September 2015, 11:30 AM
Haha good to see where keen!

backintheswing
15th September 2015, 12:48 PM
Watching it now on 508

backintheswing
15th September 2015, 12:49 PM
He just dropped the punt

backintheswing
15th September 2015, 12:50 PM
First touch in the NFL was a fumble

highballin
15th September 2015, 12:54 PM
Bummer short kick made it difficult. But would normally eat them.

Peppas
15th September 2015, 12:55 PM
sports.yahoo.com/news/lamike-james-released-dolphins-fumbling-return-174255075--nfl.html

SundayHack
15th September 2015, 12:56 PM
Back to the bench.

Johnny Canuck
15th September 2015, 12:56 PM
Awesome

simmsy
15th September 2015, 01:12 PM
You've developed the Aussie Tall poppy syndrome very well Canuck [emoji6]

highballin
15th September 2015, 01:46 PM
Been solid since back on track!

nadg63
15th September 2015, 05:47 PM
I've followed the 49ers for over 30 years, well over the Hayne hype now! (BTW he totally messed up his first punt return today!)

PeteyD
15th September 2015, 08:49 PM
He did well today other than the fumble. Still amazed he is there.

Johnny Canuck
15th September 2015, 09:28 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2566825-carlos-hyde-jarryd-hayne-updated-2015-fantasy-outlook-after-reggie-bush-injury

highballin
15th September 2015, 09:40 PM
Yeah I think he did pretty well. Like others have said its amazing he is even there. If Bush is out and he gets more field time he will only get better.

Looking forward to the next game now!

Eca
15th September 2015, 11:19 PM
Yea.. hope he get in again.

awhc
18th September 2015, 12:25 PM
I'm a fan of 49ers, just more reason to watch now.

Eca
18th September 2015, 07:49 PM
Seem like his pass protection is solid & impressing. Hopefully #2RB against steelers but hope he gets to return vs another aussie punter.

highballin
21st September 2015, 07:37 AM
Well Hayne only got two touches. Both punt returns. Claimed a fair catch on one and made a few yards before stumble on the other.

49er's were awful across the park. Might have been a good thing he didn't get to much game time. Hyde was getting hammered all game and then Davis faired no better. Opposition 1/4back was untouched and through long bombs all night. 49er's defence very ordinary.

Ohh well at least they can't blame Hayne he wasn't on there long enough.

highballin
28th September 2015, 07:20 AM
49ers have been absolutely woeful first half. Finally they give Hayne some field time and he blitzes them on a kick return. Few plays later touch down. Hayne doin us proud!

BGH
28th September 2015, 10:17 AM
Really doesn't bode well that even with Bush injured and the team getting pummeled they still won't give Hayne any game time. No better time for him to be out there getting match experience and they left him on the bench.

PeteyD
28th September 2015, 12:07 PM
They are using him in the position he was employed for, #3 or 4 back and #2 kick return. I would say he is currently getting about the expected field time.

Johnny Canuck
28th September 2015, 12:26 PM
They are using him in the position he was employed for, #3 or 4 back and #2 kick return. I would say he is currently getting about the expected field time.

And when your team is getting blown out, the running game takes a back seat.

PeteyD
28th September 2015, 12:36 PM
Yep sure does. Garbage time.

highballin
28th September 2015, 01:11 PM
Wow 49ers have some massive defensive problems. Too slow and can't tackle,Hayne should play both attack and defence:shock:

TheNuclearOne
28th September 2015, 01:51 PM
Longest punt return for the 49ers since 2013 they say.

PeteyD
28th September 2015, 01:58 PM
It was a good one.

3oneday
28th September 2015, 05:10 PM
Great, expect that leading every news bulletin tonight then :)

PeteyD
28th September 2015, 06:10 PM
Most likely.

AlexMc
3rd October 2015, 09:21 AM
I assumed his hype was restricted to Australia and that nobody in the US has actually heard of him. I reckon I've been asked about him a dozen times since I got here, and I'm on the opposite side of the country. They still think he played Rugby, which I've corrected every time. No need to insult him!

PeteyD
3rd October 2015, 09:52 AM
what he has done is incredibly unusual, hence the big story over there.

jimandr
24th October 2015, 11:19 AM
I've followed the 49ers for over 30 years, well over the Hayne hype now! (BTW he totally messed up his first punt return today!)

It looks like you are going to have a miserable season Nadg.

I'm not sure how happy the Hayne followers are going to be for the rest of the year either, although missing the Seahawks game might be a good thing.

I thought it was an awful game, with so many holes in each offensive line that the offenses couldn't get any space to do anything. The only positive for Hayne was that Reggie Bush did nothing as punt returner.

I have noticed though, in many other games as well as this one, that there seems to be trend of kicking to the sidelines and kicking high to give the defence time to surround the returner. So there are a lot of fair catch calls, and not many big returns. Which is bad for Hayne. If all you need to do is catch a ball and not return it, anyone can do that, so you don't need to take a risk on a Hayne style of player.

Johnny Canuck
24th October 2015, 01:22 PM
It looks like you are going to have a miserable season Nadg.

I'm not sure how happy the Hayne followers are going to be for the rest of the year either, although missing the Seahawks game might be a good thing.

I thought it was an awful game, with so many holes in each offensive line that the offenses couldn't get any space to do anything. The only positive for Hayne was that Reggie Bush did nothing as punt returner.

I have noticed though, in many other games as well as this one, that there seems to be trend of kicking to the sidelines and kicking high to give the defence time to surround the returner. So there are a lot of fair catch calls, and not many big returns. Which is bad for Hayne. If all you need to do is catch a ball and not return it, anyone can do that, so you don't need to take a risk on a Hayne style of player.

That kicking strategy is dependent on field position.

highballin
27th October 2015, 11:15 AM
I assumed his hype was restricted to Australia and that nobody in the US has actually heard of him. I reckon I've been asked about him a dozen times since I got here, and I'm on the opposite side of the country. They still think he played Rugby, which I've corrected every time. No need to insult him! Glad you corrected them on the insult.

mrbluu
1st November 2015, 08:56 AM
Is this the end???
http://m.foxsports.com.au/us-sports/nfl/jarryd-hayne-san-francisco-49ers-australian-waived-to-make-way-for-running-back-kendall-gaskins/story-fnp3l4e4-1227589708199

PeteyD
1st November 2015, 08:59 AM
Quite possibly. 49ers are a bit of a basket case this year. He might get picked up for a practice squad but wont be a lot of spots on the market at this stage of the season.

mrbluu
1st November 2015, 09:03 AM
Quite possibly. 49ers are a bit of a basket case this year. He might get picked up for a practice squad but wont be a lot of spots on the market at this stage of the season. Do u think he deserved to get cut??

PeteyD
1st November 2015, 09:45 AM
Nope but that is NFL.

pt73
1st November 2015, 10:03 AM
Nope but that is NFL.
Agreed but as Bluu said the 49ers are a rabble with a quarterback who's been sacked 25 times this season with only 6 touchdowns.

Johnny Canuck
1st November 2015, 10:45 AM
Do u think he deserved to get cut??

17 touches, 3 fumbles shows that he is nowhere near being game ready.

To put it in perspective, Terrelle Pryor is a freak athlete, played the game his entire life, high school All American, College star and Rose Bowl MVP.

He played a few pro seasons as a QB and couldn't cut it, so he has tried to convert to being a WR.

Quite a few teams have brought him in and he still can't make the squads.

This is a guy that knows the game, is faster than Hayne, holds the all time NFL record for the longest run by a QB, yet he can't change positions, even with all of his skills and experience.

Hayne will still end up on he 49er practice squad if no one picks him up, but he is very limited in what he will be able to actually accomplish.

PeteyD
1st November 2015, 10:49 AM
Other than the amazing fact that he got there in the first place. Pretty sure most in Aus underestimate that achievement.

Johnny Canuck
1st November 2015, 10:56 AM
It is an amazing achievement and I hope that something becomes of it.

highballin
1st November 2015, 10:56 AM
I hope Seattle pick him up. 49er's are a rabble. Best of luck to him this may be a blessing in disguise

SundayHack
1st November 2015, 11:40 AM
Wonder how much you can pick up a San Fran number38 jersey for now? Mayday Mayday Mayday Hayne Plane Down

PeteyD
1st November 2015, 07:15 PM
Apparently Detroit are interested. Dunno how much of that to believe.

Johnny Canuck
1st November 2015, 08:56 PM
Apparently Detroit are interested. Dunno how much of that to believe.

They have shit backs and a lead guy that fumbles as much as Hayne.

It could be a good place for him to land.

KristianJ
2nd November 2015, 07:28 PM
Reggie Bush has a suspected torn ACL:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000569668/article/injuries-reggie-bush-believed-to-have-torn-acl

Niners are probably praying that Jarryd clears waivers now...

Johnny Canuck
2nd November 2015, 07:48 PM
Reggie Bush has a suspected torn ACL:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000569668/article/injuries-reggie-bush-believed-to-have-torn-acl

Niners are probably praying that Jarryd clears waivers now...

And Davis got hurt too!

Lagerlover
2nd November 2015, 07:50 PM
And Daves got hurt too!

All his hybrids crushed him to near death?

aussieashley
2nd November 2015, 07:52 PM
Is there any chance they would put him straight back into the squad? Assuming no one else picks him up.

Johnny Canuck
2nd November 2015, 07:55 PM
Is there any chance they would put him straight back into the squad? Assuming no one else picks him up.

If they felt he could handle it, yes. They'll probably work out some free agents before the next game.

highballin
2nd November 2015, 07:58 PM
Funny watching this mornings debacle. One mistake after another by guys playing in the positions that Hayne was playing.

On one punt return they just let it bounce. Rams ended up with the ball 1m from the goal line hardly a word was said about letting the ball bounce. WTF!

Johnny Canuck
2nd November 2015, 10:21 PM
Funny watching this mornings debacle. One mistake after another by guys playing in the positions that Hayne was playing.

On one punt return they just let it bounce. Rams ended up with the ball 1m from the goal line hardly a word was said about letting the ball bounce. WTF!

They let it bounce if they can't safely catch it, or if they think it will bounce into the end zone.

highballin
2nd November 2015, 10:44 PM
They let it bounce if they can't safely catch it, or if they think it will bounce into the end zone.

Mmm yeah it didn't go into the end zone and the Rams had the ball 1yrd from the 49er's goal line.

Johnny Canuck
2nd November 2015, 10:45 PM
Mmm yeah it didn't go into the end zone and the Rams had the ball 1yrd from the 49er's goal line.

I realise that. Means it was a very good kick by the punter.

highballin
2nd November 2015, 11:43 PM
I realise that. Means it was a very good kick by the punter.

Haha except if Hayne was the punt returner it would have been a mistake because he let the ball bounce. I get it :wink:

Johnny Canuck
2nd November 2015, 11:45 PM
Haha except if Hayne was the punt returner it would have been a mistake because he let the ball bounce. I get it :wink:

Not at all. If the ball in going to land inside the 10 and the tacklers are right there, the returner would be instructed to let it bounce, hoping that it would make it into the end zone.

Hard_Pan
3rd November 2015, 11:01 AM
So, Hayne has been passed up by everyone and the 49ers sign up another RB.. life in the practice squad awaits??

Johnny Canuck
3rd November 2015, 11:47 AM
So, Hayne has been passed up by everyone and the 49ers sign up another RB.. life in the practice squad awaits??

That's pretty much it.

Hopefully he can learn enough to get another shot with the big boys.

3oneday
3rd November 2015, 01:26 PM
Probably where he should be anyway really? Maybe he was signed on hype and merchandising profit?

aussieashley
3rd November 2015, 01:36 PM
What sort of $ would he be making compared to the NRL?

3Puttpete
3rd November 2015, 01:48 PM
Bigger all

Hard_Pan
3rd November 2015, 02:07 PM
Obviously, Jarryd is a very skilled and talented sportsperson however that response he gave re what he knew about American Football before going over to the US (something about him having watched it and played it on a playstation), is now very poignant.

3Puttpete
3rd November 2015, 02:15 PM
Obviously, Jarryd is a very skilled and talented sportsperson

Let's not go overboard. He was one of the best runners in the game and was ok at catching and throwing a ball from 5 metres.

Johnny Canuck
3rd November 2015, 03:47 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/cb312c8737e2c3fd09f1eb5396636696.jpg

highballin
3rd November 2015, 04:37 PM
Ohh well back to the drawing board

Hopefully just a learning curve to overcome

TheNuclearOne
3rd November 2015, 05:31 PM
What sort of $ would he be making compared to the NRL?

This +

The minimum wage for practice squad players is around $9200 AUD a week.

3Puttpete
3rd November 2015, 05:42 PM
This +

For a 17 week season?

TheNuclearOne
3rd November 2015, 09:58 PM
For a 17 week season?

Not sure tbh.

Eca
4th November 2015, 07:49 AM
Whole place is imploding. Coaches out saving their own skin.
Better for him coz he is exposed with that crappy offensive line either as a runner or pass protect. The one he supposed to miss block glaringly wasnt even his fault lol..
Now Kaps benched, new RB Tate trialling today, he seem good. But thats only 2 healthy RBs game day with Gaskin, no Vernon with Gab as QB.. whole new OL..
Now what if injury prone Ellington goes down this week.. they activate JH again?

meh
4th November 2015, 07:50 AM
The 49ers are starting Gabbert at qb on Sunday! He mus be good in practice because anyone who has seen him play a game knows he is beyond terrible. Halfway in and they are playing for a high draft pick. They have turned into a basket case.

Johnny Canuck
4th November 2015, 09:15 AM
The 49ers are starting Gabbert at qb on Sunday! He mus be good in practice because anyone who has seen him play a game knows he is beyond terrible. Halfway in and they are playing for a high draft pick. They have turned into a basket case.

You absolutely nailed it with Gabbert.

PeteyD
4th November 2015, 09:38 AM
Gabbert is awesome for teams looking to tank.

Eca
4th November 2015, 11:10 AM
Gabbert is awesome for teams looking to tank.
Yup.. but Kaps kinda got the barbar syndrome hookin up with Nessa i think. All went to shit since Smith aired the dirty laundry.

TheNuclearOne
28th December 2015, 11:05 AM
Much better!!!!!

aussieashley
16th May 2016, 06:20 AM
Has now retired from the NFL, to play Sevens Rugby for Fiji

PeteyD
16th May 2016, 06:38 AM
I was looking forward to him trying to stay on the roster. Interesting move. I think the Fiji sevens side may be almost as hard to get into.

aussieashley
16th May 2016, 06:46 AM
I'm not a Rugby watcher, but I assume Sevens would give him a bit of space to use his running and speed.
He definitely won't be back in the NRL at the Eels. No room in the salary cap for him.

3oneday
16th May 2016, 07:44 AM
Is it legit though?

Captain Nemo
16th May 2016, 07:48 AM
Has now retired from the NFL, to play Sevens Rugby for Fiji

Wants to go to Rio?

WBennett
16th May 2016, 07:52 AM
'retired from the NFL'

Like I have retired from the NFL too.

I'm guessing Fiji Rugby is about the only thing left that doesn't have salary cap issues at the moment.

highballin
16th May 2016, 07:55 AM
Sounds to me like he didn't like the chances of making the roster this year. Rio exit stage left

live4golf
16th May 2016, 08:03 AM
Where is the line between giving up and retiring?

Jarro
16th May 2016, 08:16 AM
Retired before he was cut ?

Ashes
16th May 2016, 09:33 AM
'retired from the NFL'

Like I have retired from the NFL too.

I'm guessing Fiji Rugby is about the only thing left that doesn't have salary cap issues at the moment.

Great quote on twitter from someone comparing it to when they "quit" their job at McDonalds when not given any shifts after turning 18.

Daves
16th May 2016, 09:51 AM
He might be regretting not doing a bit more checking before announcing he is diving in the deep end;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-16/jarryd-hayne-ineligible-fiji-rugby-sevens-nfl/7416970

3Puttpete
16th May 2016, 10:10 AM

highballin
16th May 2016, 10:30 AM

Haha

Captain Nemo
16th May 2016, 11:22 AM
He might be regretting not doing a bit more checking before announcing he is diving in the deep end;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-16/jarryd-hayne-ineligible-fiji-rugby-sevens-nfl/7416970

I reckon he will be ok.
Beavis (his manager) was on triple m sydney this morning.'
This has been in the planning for a few weeks now, id say he's covered all bases...
Time will tell i suppose!

JADO75
16th May 2016, 11:38 AM
Apparently the Roosters will have to sign some players before they can fit him "under" the cap

Captain Nemo
16th May 2016, 11:40 AM
Apparently the Roosters will have to sign some players before they can fit him "under" the cap

Hahahahaha, gold....

Don't worry Jado, i know for a fact there is a big vault in the bowels of the Leagues Club with shoe boxes full of cash....plenty to go round!

3oneday
16th May 2016, 01:46 PM
Maybe he could play golf for Fiji instead?

Dotty
16th May 2016, 01:53 PM
I haven't been paying attention.

Which Kardashian is he dating?

wazandnic
16th May 2016, 02:21 PM
I believe it all stemmed from when someone gave him this for Christmas last year:

coalesce
16th May 2016, 09:28 PM
http://www.theshovel.com.au/2016/05/16/breaking-fairfax-news-corp-announce-sweeping-cuts-to-jarryd-hayne-divisions/

AndyP
17th May 2016, 07:27 AM
Everyone loves a quitter.

SundayHack
17th May 2016, 07:29 AM
Maybe he could play golf for Fiji instead?
Probably easier for him to get into the Australian team for this one with all the WD's.

SundayHack
17th May 2016, 07:31 AM
Jarryd Hayne announces dream to ride Winx to ten straight after Rio...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiiqfLQUoAA-2ar.jpg

jimandr
17th May 2016, 09:49 PM
Maybe I am overthinking this, but it seems to me that Rugby needs Hayne to fail. It would be an extremely bad look for someone who has never played the game to pick it up straight away, no matter how good an athlete they are. I would then imagine the floodgates opening, and all sorts of superstars from other sports coming in for a guest appearance whenever the prizemoney is good enough.

I'm not sure the Olympics would be very happy either, if teams were stacked with players with not much connection to either the game or to the country they are alleged to be representing.

The whole thing just doesn't add up to me. Hayne is damaging his "brand" rather than adding to its value by this adventure, and I don't see what Fiji are gaining. It isn't as if they need to improve much, apparently. They are already the World Champs.

3Puttpete
18th May 2016, 07:43 AM
It's sevens. Nobody actually gives a crap

3oneday
18th May 2016, 07:45 AM
It's this weeks dream, probably more will be hoping he fails now though I guess. It's the aussie way :)

AndyP
18th May 2016, 08:17 AM
There might be a spot for him in the Olympics for tennis representing Australia.

pt73
18th May 2016, 10:29 AM
Maybe I am overthinking this, but it seems to me that Rugby needs Hayne to fail. It would be an extremely bad look for someone who has never played the game to pick it up straight away, no matter how good an athlete they are. I would then imagine the floodgates opening, and all sorts of superstars from other sports coming in for a guest appearance whenever the prizemoney is good enough.

I'm not sure the Olympics would be very happy either, if teams were stacked with players with not much connection to either the game or to the country they are alleged to be representing.

The whole thing just doesn't add up to me. Hayne is damaging his "brand" rather than adding to its value by this adventure, and I don't see what Fiji are gaining. It isn't as if they need to improve much, apparently. They are already the World Champs.
On last night's Back Page someone raised a good point.

Assuming he gets picked for Rio, what happens after the Olympics when he either comes back to the NRL or goes for the big $$$ offered by European/Japanese rugby.

That wouldn't be a good look for Fiji either way.

Captain Nemo
18th May 2016, 10:31 AM
I don't think they care Pete, winning a Gold Medal would be a phenomenal achievement for such a small country, I think they have never won one?

Lagerlover
18th May 2016, 03:24 PM
For memory Fiji, having made itsOlympic*début at the 1956 Summer Games, has competed at twelve Summer Games and three Winter Games. Its athletes have taken part in athletics, judo, shooting, swimming and weightlifting, but have never won amedal.

benno_r
18th May 2016, 03:27 PM
So aside from the starpower, is 28yoJH actually a chance of making the best 7's team in the world?

Captain Nemo
18th May 2016, 03:37 PM
For memory Fiji, having made itsOlympic*début at the 1956 Summer Games, has competed at twelve Summer Games and three Winter Games. Its athletes have taken part in athletics, judo, shooting, swimming and weightlifting, but have never won amedal.
Thanks WikiLager.

Captain Nemo
18th May 2016, 03:38 PM
So aside from the starpower, is 28yoJH actually a chance of making the best 7's team in the world?

I'm going yes.
Im playing devils advocate bout there could be some big TPA being paid!
LOL!

wazandnic
18th May 2016, 03:44 PM
haha, yeah I agree! I reckon getting him in gives the side touted as best in the world (?? wouldn't know personally ??) LOTS of WOLRDWIDE media exposure and thus a new ability to pull in the sponsor $$$'s

Captain Nemo
18th May 2016, 04:02 PM
That's what I think.
I know they are favourite for the gold etc but it gives the, more pulling power know, also if it deosnt work out with him the sponsors will still be on board.

3oneday
18th May 2016, 05:09 PM
Only 12 go to Olympics, best chance ever for a medal. Way too big a risk for mine if they have a passenger.