PDA

View Full Version : Mizuno Balls

Sydney Hacker
16th August 2015, 08:09 PM
Anyone here tried Mizuno balls at all? Was in House of Golf earlier and they are selling boxes of 45 for $99 (2014 model).

Bitter
16th August 2015, 08:21 PM
I have used the MP-S previously and found them to be very good however they were always the same price if not dearer than ProV1's so never used more than a dozen.

thecollective
16th August 2015, 08:27 PM
They are ok, but not very durable, similar to the Wilson FG Tour, but not as long. No where near a pro v1 or the latest model z star

Scifisicko
16th August 2015, 09:02 PM
I've been playing them for a while. Really strong flight and penetration into the wind and feel nice and soft off all clubs including chips and putts. For me they spin just right off all clubs, which is Slightly less than prov1. Agree with TC they are not durable, but that is because the cover is very soft. We were given free prov1 during pennant season and I chose to use my own mps's.

mrbluu
17th August 2015, 11:32 AM
Anyone here tried Mizuno balls at all? Was in House of Golf earlier and they are selling boxes of 45 for $99 (2014 model).

My mate was using them previously. He said they are similar to Pro'vs etc but not as long. He has switched to TM TPx's.

Good price at for 45 there SH. At that time they where still around $50 a box and TM's where $35.

dowdsy
17th August 2015, 06:26 PM
I have used them and found them pretty much the same as pro v1s, if they came down in price I would game them over prov1.

thecollective
17th August 2015, 07:01 PM
I have used them and found them pretty much the same as pro v1s, if they came down in price I would game them over prov1.

Dowdsy: I have 2 dozen I can sell you @ the price I paid if you're interested: $33 per doz

TC

dowdsy
20th August 2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks TC, but I still have 18 pro v1s to lose In the bush yet.

Courty
20th August 2015, 09:37 PM
I cleared out my pro shop credit recently. I had enough for 6 doz., but they only had 5 doz. TPs so I grabbed a box of Mizuno's. Haven't tried them yet, but will do so tomorrow.

oldracer
20th August 2015, 09:44 PM
I cleared out my pro shop credit recently. I had enough for 6 doz., but they only had 5 doz. TPs so I grabbed a box of Mizuno's. Haven't tried them yet, but will do so tomorrow.Flusha!!!!!!

Courty
21st August 2015, 11:29 AM
Haven't tried them yet, but will do so tomorrow.

I used one for the first 6 holes today, then gave it (and the rest of the box) to Solarman. They seemed fine on full shots, but my big issue was how dead they felt off the putter face and distance control was a real problem (always short). Interestingly, the cover of the ball had a kind of high-friction feel (almost to the point of being sticky) which was still the case even after using it for half a dozen holes.
In short, I had no confidence with my short game, particularly putting, while using this ball.

lmanion
21st August 2015, 12:00 PM
Loved the doz I bought a while back but they were way expensive compared to TM TPx, just bought 4 doz TPxs early this year and then saw golf box had the mps for 3 doz $99 was a little annoying.

Scifisicko
21st August 2015, 12:34 PM
Crossfield compares MPS to ProV1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V7kfAHv_GM

Identical in 60yd wedge numbers but says ProV1 feels softer off the putter. Conversely our multiple club champ used MPs for a while and went back to PV1 because he thought MPS too soft off the putter.

One thing that is not subjective is durability.

Grabbed a new PV1 and MPS and hit 10 full shots with each into the nett with a sharp 56* wedge. Both covers were damaged but the MPS was slightly worse, say 4/10 vs 6/10. There were score lines from the grooves in the MPS and there was a little dag/pinch of urethane that needed to be picked off, where the ProV1 was just scuffed. Felt it was a pretty fair test quality of strike wise.

Scifisicko
23rd August 2015, 10:20 PM

Taken on the second tee yesterday, after a 90m sand wedge to a front pin on a raised green. Ball landed about pin high hopped, stopped and backed up to the pitch mark. You can see the ball is close to stuffed. A proV1 or a TMTP would most likely have spun off the front. Second hole is a 120m par 4, made another mark like that one on the other side, then replaced the ball on the 4th tee. Need to look for a similar ball that is more durable.

sheezymaneezy
23rd August 2015, 10:23 PM
120m par 4! Which golf club? I need to lower my handicap...

Scifisicko
23rd August 2015, 10:32 PM
Oops. I usually have a 4.