PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Shaft Help

Bitter
13th August 2015, 06:49 PM
I am after some advice on a wedge shaft. I recently purchased a Scratch 48* wedge head and I shafted it with a standard DG wedge flex shaft in which it feels way too light.

Is it the shaft or the head that is too light? Are there better options in wedge shafts for a heavier weight?

Daves
13th August 2015, 06:50 PM
DGs are pretty much as heavy as they come.

mrbluu
13th August 2015, 06:55 PM
I am after some advice on a wedge shaft. I recently purchased a Scratch 48* wedge head and I shafted it with a standard DG wedge flex shaft in which it feels way too light.

Is it the shaft or the head that is too light? Are there better options in wedge shafts for a heavier weight?
I would use the same shaft as u use in your set.

D22marshall
13th August 2015, 06:56 PM
Might be a light head could tungsten powder it to get it up to a better weight

Bitter
13th August 2015, 06:57 PM
DGs are pretty much as heavy as they come.

Just looked, its actually a Cleveland Wedge Flex shaft? Are they different?

mrbluu
13th August 2015, 06:57 PM
Just looked, its actually a Cleveland Wedge Flex shaft? Are they different?
No idea but they are a crap shaft.

Scifisicko
13th August 2015, 07:20 PM
Total weight or swing weight? The shaft sounds like DG wedge, as Daves said - standard heavy.

How much shorter than your PW?

Bitter
13th August 2015, 07:25 PM
Total weight or swing weight? The shaft sounds like DG wedge, as Daves said - standard heavy.

How much shorter than your PW?

Only half in shorter, just thinking though that the grip is quite thin probably no papers under where my others have 4 papers which obviously will change things. Might be more just feel rather than weight?

D22marshall
13th August 2015, 07:28 PM
Change the shaft rubbish

Scifisicko
13th August 2015, 07:30 PM
So not that, would be worth weighing them on a digital kitchen scale...about $10 at Aldi. There could be 30 or 40 grams difference in the grip but its at the wrong end of the club to have a huge effect on feel. Then take both clubs to a golf shop or one of the guys here who has a swing weight scale.

Bitter
13th August 2015, 07:32 PM
Change the shaft rubbish

Yeah just organised a KBS with mrbluu and probably adjust the loft out to 50*

chappy1970
13th August 2015, 07:34 PM
Only half in shorter, just thinking though that the grip is quite thin probably no papers under where my others have 4 papers which obviously will change things. Might be more just feel rather than weight?

B1982, adding 4 papers won't effect the weight or SW much, but if that's your preferred grip, it would drastically effect the feel of the wedge.

Add the papers first, as that's an easy fix (provides you have a compressor and gripping attachment) and might give you exactly what your after. If you still don't like it, get a better shaft as Dean and Bluu suggested. You have many options

Bitter
13th August 2015, 07:39 PM
B1982, adding 4 papers won't effect the weight or SW much, but if that's your preferred grip, it would drastically effect the feel of the wedge.

Add the papers first, as that's an easy fix (provides you have a compressor and gripping attachment) and might give you exactly what your after. If you still don't like it, get a better shaft as Dean and Bluu suggested. You have many options

Thanks, haven't done much in the way of club building other than installing new grips. Never tried the compressor method though, always used double sided tape and turps or similar. Got the compressor sitting there, might need to by the attachment.

chappy1970
13th August 2015, 07:46 PM
Grab yourself the regripping tool, it's very inexpensive and will be one of the best tools you will buy

Bitter
13th August 2015, 07:52 PM
Grab yourself the regripping tool, it's very inexpensive and will be one of the best tools you will buy

Recommendations on where to buy?

chappy1970
13th August 2015, 08:01 PM
From ebay, like this but you can get a cap that goes over the end of the grip to save you from blow outs. They're all over ebay

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111105673172&globalID=EBAY-AU

Air Compressor Air Duster Gun Handle Compressed Blow gun Nozzle Tool

Bitter
13th August 2015, 08:05 PM
From ebay, like this but you can get a cap that goes over the end of the grip to save you from blow outs. They're all over ebay

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111105673172&globalID=EBAY-AU

Air Compressor Air Duster Gun Handle Compressed Blow gun Nozzle Tool

I see, I actually already have one. Might buy a couple of cheap grips to give it a test run first.

chappy1970
13th August 2015, 08:07 PM
Good idea, grab some conduit to go over the grip or card board tube to help with grip bubbles

Bitter
13th August 2015, 08:17 PM
Good idea, grab some conduit to go over the grip or card board tube to help with grip bubbles

Thanks, appreciate the info. I might become some form of amateur club builder yet.

3Puttpete
13th August 2015, 08:45 PM
No idea but they are a crap shaft.

SA champs winning shafts