PDA

View Full Version : Short game practice

Sean
8th August 2015, 09:20 PM
Just wondering if anyone has a short game drill or game they play that has helped their consistency. My contact is very up and down and would like to hear what has helped.
Chees

dan
9th August 2015, 08:14 AM
Do half chips with one hand. The right hand if you're a righty.

Sean
9th August 2015, 08:15 AM
Thanks mate. Will give it a go.

dan
9th August 2015, 09:24 AM
Remember to use the sole of the club. Don't dig with the edge, let the loft do the work and focus on getting clean contact.

dee cee
9th August 2015, 12:31 PM
Dans two bits of advice were given to me at a lesson a month ago. Sound advice and work in progress. I feel sometimes I should chip with my right hand only. Left hand ruins me sometimes!

awhc
18th September 2015, 10:33 AM
Should chipping be predominantly the right hand?

cratcliffe
18th September 2015, 09:13 PM
Let the bounce of the wedge do it's work, I know it's hard but you have to trust the bounce

virge666
19th September 2015, 06:43 AM
Phil's DVD.

Buy it on eBay. 15 bucks.

Short game is simple but you have to have a method or a system. Otherwise it becomes too inconsistent.

There are heaps of method our systems out there. The trick is to choose one and stick to it.

Daves
19th September 2015, 06:58 AM
Should chipping be predominantly the right hand?Depends on your method. I am lead side dominant in with all my shots, chipping (and putting) especially so. I take the trail hand out of the equation as much as possible.

Ferrins
11th August 2016, 05:42 PM
Let the bounce of the wedge do it's work, I know it's hard but you have to trust the bounce

Trevino swears by this. Got to improve my short game or I will give this pastime away. Playing golf atm is like going fishing and losing all the fish at the boat.

highballin
11th August 2016, 06:59 PM
Learning what shot your lie will allow you to play is important as well. Sometimes even when close to the green going for the pin is not the smartest option. Was given a masterclass on this by a playing partner recently. Have practiced chip and run a lot since then.

I've always tried to land chips or pitches on the green to take out the vagaries of bounce on the fringe. But having a good solid chip & run shot gives you an option when the lie is not conducive to a high lofted chip.

Agree with Virge pick a method and stick to it

Ferrins
11th August 2016, 07:26 PM
Buy more wedges is my method.

3Puttpete
11th August 2016, 07:39 PM
Or a chipper

Ferrins
11th August 2016, 07:44 PM
Or a chipper

Ok

Hard_Pan
11th August 2016, 08:10 PM
9 iron with a putting stroke has been working for me lately when off tight lies around the green.

3Puttpete
11th August 2016, 08:23 PM
Ok

Manly men

Coopers Country
11th August 2016, 08:25 PM
HP Pete's gonna say chipper again :)

3Puttpete
11th August 2016, 08:34 PM
9 iron with a putting stroke has been working for me lately when off tight lies around the green.

Like a chipper?

Hard_Pan
11th August 2016, 09:14 PM
Like a chipper? Never used one so can't compare..

Found a great video on using a chipper though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKLdD9NwoE4

wazamac
12th August 2016, 07:42 AM
I'm starting to revert back to a chip and run.
Last year when I went for lessons, the pro was trying to teach me to check the ball with about 3 feet of run. Not my thing as I can't confidently
hit the ball that close to the hole. I am always waiting for the run out and expecting it to be 20ft past the hole.

Maybe time to buy a chipper! What do you think 3PP?

highballin
12th August 2016, 08:05 AM
Great round by Marcus hope he can keep it going. Stenson looking ominous

Don't worry about me I forgot to take my pills

3Puttpete
12th August 2016, 08:14 AM
Last year when I went for lessons, the pro was trying to teach me to check the ball with about 3 feet of run. Not my thing as I can't confidently
hit the ball that close to the hole. I am always waiting for the run out and expecting it to be 20ft past the hole.

If you have to ask you already know the answer

Hatchman
12th August 2016, 11:26 AM
Great round by Marcus hope he can keep it going. Stenson looking ominous

Don't worry about me I forgot to take my pills

Did he use a chipper?

Hatchman
12th August 2016, 11:27 AM

They're going to be all the rage at NSW Champs from what I hear.

highballin
12th August 2016, 05:43 PM
Did he use a chipper?

No need for a chipper he was hitting greens close to the pin. Not like us choppers :lol:

Hatchman
12th August 2016, 06:30 PM
No need for a chipper he was hitting greens close to the pin. Not like us choppers :lol:

I'll never know what that's like [emoji849]