PDA

View Full Version : 8 of 14 fws, 3 of 18 greens, 2ptly, 32 putts

stopper
7th August 2015, 10:37 PM
That was my latest 18 hole round. What area of my game do I need to work on to see the quickest impact on scores. I'm hitting a lot of 7, 6 & 5 irons into greens and missing short.

stopper
7th August 2015, 10:41 PM
I think my shafts are too stiff for me and I'm probably presenting to much loft at impact. The swing feels strong and the ball takes off on a straight line but one minute I can hit 6iron close to 150 total and next minute 135. Driver total is 220 average. I'm a big bloke with broad shoulders but scrawny little kids are 20 past me with 80% swings.

Johnny Canuck
7th August 2015, 10:43 PM
That was my latest 18 hole round. What area of my game do I need to work on to see the quickest impact on scores. I'm hitting a lot of 7, 6 & 5 irons into greens and missing short.

Taking more club into greens is a start. Just because you hit a 5i 180m once doesn't mean you hit your 5i 180.

It also sounds like your wedge game needs work if you keep hitting short and not getting up and down.

Good wedges can make ugly holes decent pretty easily.

JADO75
8th August 2015, 12:09 AM
I'd start with putting the ego to one side & taking one more club than you think you need to start with as you keep coming up short.

Daves
8th August 2015, 07:02 AM
Hard to believe that your shafts are too stiff for you if you can hit a 5i 180m? Apex shafts are butt stiff, tip soft. My 5i distance is about 150m and I have no problems using stiff shafts. I suspect it is more that the Apex Pros aren't as forgiving as you think they are. I don't find find them very forgiving myself. If you are striking the ball reasonably well, forgiveness is probably only really noticeably in 7i/6i up.

As others have said club up, and practice your wedges and around the green shots.

mrbluu
8th August 2015, 07:47 AM
I'm a big bloke with broad shoulders but scrawny little kids are 20 past me with 80% swings.

It could be worse, u can have short fat kids hit it past u too!!!

stopper
8th August 2015, 07:56 AM
I don't think I ever said 5i was 180 did I? 5i total is 160-165 at best although in my last round it was more like 150.The thing about the apex pros is that I'm not spraying the ball all over the place with them like I used to with more sgi irons and I'm making reasonable centre face contact, I mean impact marks are not in a tight grouping or anything like, that but they are not massively toward heel/toe either. I would love some new mizuno h5s or some srixon 545/745 combo but I'm happy with the look and feel of what I have, I just wouldn't mind squeezing an extra 10 yards out of them.I know it's technique, I'm probably dumping and flipping or whatever. I will keep working on my swing and maybe pick up some shafts that feel better, but in the meantime I was curious to know whether there is some low hanging fruit That will quickly help drop scores.

stopper
8th August 2015, 08:00 AM
It could be worse, u can have short fat kids hit it past u too!!!They probably could too

mrbluu
8th August 2015, 08:07 AM
I don't think I ever said 5i was 180 did I? 5i total is 160-165 at best although in my last round it was more like 150.The thing about the apex pros is that I'm not spraying the ball all over the place with them like I used to with more sgi irons and I'm making reasonable centre face contact, I mean impact marks are not in a tight grouping or anything like, that but they are not massively toward heel/toe either. I would love some new mizuno h5s or some srixon 545/745 combo but I'm happy with the look and feel of what I have, I just wouldn't mind squeezing an extra 10 yards out of them.I know it's technique, I'm probably dumping and flipping or whatever. I will keep working on my swing and maybe pick up some shafts that feel better, but in the meantime I was curious to know whether there is some low hanging fruit That will quickly help drop scores.
Like the boys said already take an extra club.

Also if u really want to lower your scores quickly then work on your short game.

If u miss 15 greens and had 32 putts with no 3 putts means u got it up and down 4/15 times. If u can get that to 7-9/15 meaning u will have about 27-30 putts per round means u have dropped 5 shots without hitting it better.

Johnny Canuck
8th August 2015, 10:12 AM

I was using the 180 as an example, never meant to imply that you said it.

stopper
27th August 2015, 11:45 AM
A quick update.

I have been lucky enough to play 9 holes each week for the past 3 weeks, scoring +8, +9 and +8.

Looking at my stats for that latest round, I hit 4/7 fairways, 1/ 9 greens, had no penalties & took 17 putts. I had a 4 putt triple on 2 and a double on 5.

The greens hit stat is pretty bad. To be fair I don’t have a club between driver and 4 iron in my bag at the moment (which has been the case on all 3 of those rounds) so I have been hitting quite a few longer irons on the par 4’s and par 5’s.

I hit the green and made par on the one short par 4, and didn’t miss the green by much on the two 170ish and 160ish par 3’s, making par on one and bogey on the other.

As soon as funds allow I think I’m going to drop the 4 iron and pick up a 20ish degree hybrid ( I know I also need something else between driver and hybrid but for the time being I’m having to build my bag club by club).

A mate of mine who hits 6 iron 145ish (same as me) plays of 6 so (I’m off 18 ) so I know it's possible to get down to say a 12 at least. I'm hoping to play a comp game again soon, for the first time since last Feb.

mrbluu
27th August 2015, 12:05 PM
A quick update.

I have been lucky enough to play 9 holes each week for the past 3 weeks, scoring +8, +9 and +8.

Looking at my stats for that latest round, I hit 4/7 fairways, 1/ 9 greens, had no penalties & took 17 putts. I had a 4 putt triple on 2 and a double on 5.

The greens hit stat is pretty bad. To be fair I don’t have a club between driver and 4 iron in my bag at the moment (which has been the case on all 3 of those rounds) so I have been hitting quite a few longer irons on the par 4’s and par 5’s.

I hit the green and made par on the one short par 4, and didn’t miss the green by much on the two 170ish and 160ish par 3’s, making par on one and bogey on the other.

As soon as funds allow I think I’m going to drop the 4 iron and pick up a 20ish degree hybrid ( I know I also need something else between driver and hybrid but for the time being I’m having to build my bag club by club).

A mate of mine who hits 6 iron 145ish (same as me) plays of 6 so (I’m off 18 ) so I know it's possible to get down to say a 12 at least. I'm hoping to play a comp game again soon, for the first time since last Feb.

Questions:

Where do you play
Do you count the putts from off the green?

stopper
27th August 2015, 12:14 PM
Yep I count putts from off the green, I didn't have any in that last round though.

This week I played the front 9 at Cumberland off the whites. In the past two weeks I played the back 9 at Windsor.

I normally play Lynwood when I habe time for 18.

mrbluu
27th August 2015, 12:20 PM
Yep I count putts from off the green, I didn't have any in that last round though.

This week I played the front 9 at Cumberland off the whites. In the past two weeks I played the back 9 at Windsor.

First of all I would stop, it ruins your stats and can do your head in.

Now if you missed all but 1 green per nine, yes you should look at your iron play, but should probably look at your short game first. If you can get it up and down 3-5 times out of 8 then you will be off 10 no probs. If you can get the ball consistently inside 10feet with your chipping/pitching then its' your putting that's the issue. If you are not getting it close then it's your chipping.

Stats is a great way to identify weakness so you can work on them.

Happy golfing.

3Puttpete
27th August 2015, 12:20 PM

No no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!

kiwitown
27th August 2015, 01:50 PM

stop counting your stats and go and play. alternatively go and drop balls 150 out on a quite fairway and hit 7, 6 and 5 irons into the green..

billp
27th August 2015, 03:38 PM
Get a 7 wood, will be the best purchase of your life.

stopper
27th August 2015, 03:39 PM
stop counting your stats and go and play. alternatively go and drop balls 150 out on a quite fairway and hit 7, 6 and 5 irons into the green..

Well I am staring to play more now.

As for counting stats, I only keep a few basics likes fairways and greens which I generally tally up after the round.

JADO75
27th August 2015, 03:51 PM

My grandma says the same thing

Johnny Canuck
27th August 2015, 03:58 PM

So homo.

4 hybrid is where it's at ;)

razaar
27th August 2015, 04:54 PM
That was my latest 18 hole round. What area of my game do I need to work on to see the quickest impact on scores. I'm hitting a lot of 7, 6 & 5 irons into greens and missing short.Ha-ha..this sounds like my last round. I don't play much comp these days, but the lads put my name down with them on Saturday for 1st round of the Club Champs. 14/14 fairways, 3 GIR, 25 putts. I never practice with woods only irons. At my age we tend to be either playing woods or hybrids or long irons into greens. I have come to realize that the long and mid irons in AP2 are too much club for this old codger.

oldracer
27th August 2015, 04:59 PM
So homo.

4 hybrid is where it's at ;)agree and a 16* 2 hybrid are a nice distance club if 3 woods do your head in like moi!!!

kiwitown
27th August 2015, 07:10 PM
Quote Originally Posted by stopper6 View Post

Your guns......

Lagerlover
27th August 2015, 07:17 PM
Quote Originally Posted by stopper6 View Post

Your guns......

:lol:

Blackhelmo
3rd September 2015, 10:39 PM
I don't count a putt in my putting stats if I use it off the green/fringe. It's purely a club selected that I have confidence to hit it reasonably close to the hole with. If it goes in, it's a bonus and a 0 in the putting stats.