PDA

View Full Version : Some new guy questions

Panda
1st August 2015, 05:20 PM
Hello everyone. I started golf about 5 weeks ago and only very recently dared to venture onto the course. First 3 weeks were twice-a-week lessons and driving range everyday. 4th week was resting/healing because my hands were telling me to quite being an ass and apparently its quality over quantity at the range :oops::roll:. Last 10 days have been to the course 5 times including once-a-week lessons.

Amongst the numerous struggles I have been experiencing, some of the top ones I wanted to address are:

Alignment - I sometimes hit very clean....but it the wrong direction. I have used alignment rods which seem to eliminate this problem more or less but do not want to be overly reliant on them. They seem to mimic the barriers in front of me at the driving range which I have become accustomed too.

What club for what distance? - Do you all have a set amount of distance for whichever clubs to use? Was this through only practice/experience/heartache or with the help of some other aids as well? e.g record on pen and paper. So far I always use a 7 iron for 160m (from tee to pin) and estimate according to that. e.g 150m 8 iron, 170m 6 iron, etc. Is this an okay way to go about doing it? Any other suggestions or tips from the vets of the game?

Thanks
Panda

Dotty
1st August 2015, 05:31 PM
If you hit it very clean ... but in the wrong direction, you need to aim 45 degrees to the left.

Oops. Wrong forum.

Hatchman
1st August 2015, 07:34 PM
General rule is 10m increments for irons.
ALigament. That's what range time is for, to get the feeling of what's square to the target line so you can hopefully take that feeling to the course.

Johnny Canuck
6th August 2015, 07:32 PM
Use alignment sticks for as long as you need to. I currently play off 2 and will find my alignment getting out of whack and need to re-calibrate from time to time. Repetition will help.

As for club distances, you are fine recording the distances with pen/paper, on your phone, etc. work out an average of how far you usually fly the ball and then you can also factor in rollout.

AndyP
6th August 2015, 07:40 PM
Good post, JC.

I think getting your setup right is underrated, and alignment is part of that.

Daves
6th August 2015, 07:48 PM
Good post, JC.

I think getting your setup right is underrated, and alignment is part of that.

Yep, grip and alignment are the 2 biggies, and where the average amateur usually goes wrong.

Scifisicko
7th August 2015, 08:30 AM
Hi Panda,

Take the quoted text with a big grain of salt. The poster has been here a short time and has gotten into quite a few arguments.

The comment about alignment being impossible should tell you to take his advice with extreme caution.

Use alignment sticks for as long as you need to. I currently play off 2 and will find my alignment getting out of whack and need to re-calibrate from time to time. Repetition will help.

As for club distances, you are fine recording the distances with pen/paper, on your phone, etc. work out an average of how far you usually fly the ball and then you can also factor in rollout.

+1

Re alignement try picking an obvious spot on the ground a few feet in front of the tee (leaf, discoloured grass, divot, cigarette butt, broken tee etc) and place your ball on the extension of an imaginary line bisecting your target and the spot. To get reasonable alignment set up to hit the ball over the spot.

Johnny Canuck
7th August 2015, 08:33 AM
+1

Re alignement try picking an obvious spot on the ground a few feet in front of the tee (leaf, discoloured grass, divot, cigarette butt, broken tee etc) and place your ball on the extension of an imaginary line bisecting your target and the spot. To get reasonable alignment set up to hit the ball over the spot.

Two weeks ago I hit 2 fairways and was losing my mind. I asked my pro to have a look. He looked at my setup, noticed the ball was almost outside my left foot when i setup.

I moved it back, problem solved. Missed one fairway the next day.

I was going crazy, trying everything under the sun when in fact, it was something so basic.

Wenz
7th August 2015, 08:34 AM
+1

+1
I was literally just going to post this. This was some of the best advice I got when starting out. I still use it to this date.

mrbluu
7th August 2015, 08:40 AM
Hello everyone. I started golf about 5 weeks ago and only very recently dared to venture onto the course. First 3 weeks were twice-a-week lessons and driving range everyday. 4th week was resting/healing because my hands were telling me to quite being an ass and apparently its quality over quantity at the range :oops::roll:. Last 10 days have been to the course 5 times including once-a-week lessons.

Amongst the numerous struggles I have been experiencing, some of the top ones I wanted to address are:

Alignment - I sometimes hit very clean....but it the wrong direction. I have used alignment rods which seem to eliminate this problem more or less but do not want to be overly reliant on them. They seem to mimic the barriers in front of me at the driving range which I have become accustomed too.

What club for what distance? - Do you all have a set amount of distance for whichever clubs to use? Was this through only practice/experience/heartache or with the help of some other aids as well? e.g record on pen and paper. So far I always use a 7 iron for 160m (from tee to pin) and estimate according to that. e.g 150m 8 iron, 170m 6 iron, etc. Is this an okay way to go about doing it? Any other suggestions or tips from the vets of the game?

Thanks
Panda

Nothing wrong with using Alignment Sticks and I don't think you can be over reliant on them, as they will get you body used to feeling what is correct alignment. A lot of the pro's use them every session, Jordan Speith comes to mind. Also if you are playing or practising with a mate, then get them to check you alignment as well.

For the course, the tip about picking a target a few feet away from you ball to line up is money!!!

Have you had any short game lessons??

WBennett
7th August 2015, 11:31 AM
Spent more time on your short game than your long game.
Around 50% of shots in golf are inside 50m.
If you spend half an hour on the range, try to spend half an hour chipping and putting.

If you can get up and down a couple of times around, you scores will tumble

Panda
10th August 2015, 03:47 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Been really busy doing uni assignments playing golf everyday so apologies for the late reply.

YES! that leaf/divot/twig in front thing works!!! Find it especially useful for approach shots with the wedges.

This little tip led me to the discovery of another problem which some members have already mentioned: address/posture/alignment. I started to notice my club face at address was becoming increasingly closed. Been more aware of this and short-mid irons are getting more straighter/consistent. Long irons are still.....problematic

and +1 regarding the putting and chip/pitch shot practices. More confident on these than hitting off the tee...:-s

I haven't been going to the range these past few days but plane to use a practices station when I'm there this week. The foot and alignment tips have been useful on the course and would like to 'ingrain' them asap.

Back to English lecture browsing Pro Shop

BenM
10th August 2015, 05:24 PM
Thread cleaned up. Please stop polluting Panda's (and other's) threads with off topic rubbish.