PDA

View Full Version : Does my bag chatter bother you?

Panda
1st August 2015, 05:49 PM
I use a stand/carry bag for golf (two shoulder strap) and have been getting looks from people when I walk from hole to hole and in the carpark. Is it from the irons and bag chatter or because I look like a ninja (observation made by my gf)? Personally I am okay with the sound and prefer not to use iron covers...

peter_rs
1st August 2015, 05:53 PM
A well placed hand or towel works

Lagerlover
1st August 2015, 06:19 PM
What Pete said.

Johnny Canuck
1st August 2015, 06:20 PM
As long as it isn't disrupting my shot, it's fine.

wizard_of_oz
1st August 2015, 06:52 PM
Definitely because you look like a ninja.

3oneday
1st August 2015, 07:44 PM
Walking normally shouldn't create noise, do you bounce or walk like a munster?

PeteyD
1st August 2015, 07:47 PM
Golf Ninja

Daves
1st August 2015, 07:55 PM
I would be more interested in how you are carrying your sand?:wink:

Lagerlover
1st August 2015, 08:01 PM
How do you carry your golf balls?

That might explain the rattling sound.

Daves
1st August 2015, 08:43 PM
How do you carry your golf balls?

That might explain the rattling sound.

You need more than one ball? That might explain a few things!

mrbluu
1st August 2015, 08:47 PM
I use a stand/carry bag for golf (two shoulder strap) and have been getting looks from people when I walk from hole to hole and in the carpark. Is it from the irons and bag chatter or because I look like a ninja (observation made by my gf)? Personally I am okay with the sound and prefer not to use iron covers...
If u can hear the bag/clubs chatter then so can other ppl

oldracer
1st August 2015, 09:15 PM
If I heard the chatter I would cringe, just me...no head covers, ouch, another thing, I would not buy clubs that had been smashed in the bag

Dotty
2nd August 2015, 07:56 AM
People with incessantly rattling clubs are in the same category as those that think they don't need deodorant.

Panda
2nd August 2015, 09:26 AM
I'll try the towel thing on Monday if I manage to get out or may even consider a new bag (ozgolf way yay!). Funny enough there's no sound when I sling it over one shoulder...

sheezymaneezy
2nd August 2015, 10:51 AM
I just put my hand over them and it stops all. More comfortable walking like that anyway

Captain Nemo
2nd August 2015, 10:59 AM
Who the **** carries their clubs, that's what buggies are for...

BenM
2nd August 2015, 01:26 PM
I have often wondered the same thing.... A fair few young blokes here carry. I know it's not because they can't afford a buggy and it's not because they're travelling light. I think there's a bit of an element of coolness to it.

When I was a junior in Canberra I used to wag school and take my clubs to the golf course with me on the bus.... Buggy and all I think....

Gemmell
2nd August 2015, 01:33 PM
Yes, put a towel or your hand there. It's annoying. Generally if you have to ask if something is annoying, stupid or bothers people, it is/does.

benno_r
2nd August 2015, 02:33 PM
Sound doesn't bother me, but if it's a set I have on the Ho list, I will be sadder that there is one less set to choose from.

TheNuclearOne
2nd August 2015, 05:55 PM
If you are going to look like a Ninja you may as well be as quiet as one. Wouldn't worry me personally tho.

Collis
2nd August 2015, 06:12 PM
Covers would solve your problem.

Johnny Canuck
2nd August 2015, 09:13 PM
I have often wondered the same thing.... A fair few young blokes here carry. I know it's not because they can't afford a buggy and it's not because they're travelling light. I think there's a bit of an element of coolness to it.

When I was a junior in Canberra I used to wag school and take my clubs to the golf course with me on the bus.... Buggy and all I think....
I actually prefer carrying as opposed to pushing my sticks around.

Covers would solve your problem.

And take care of any remaining masculinity that you had left.

BenM
2nd August 2015, 09:33 PM

Yes and each to their own, but why exactly?

I guess if you have a small boot and don't want/have room to cart a buggy around then that'd be one reason.... It's probably a better workout for fitness, might be another. For me the first doesn't apply and the second while true would probably leave me too knackered to swing a club by the end.

Getting off topic though. Why would bag chatter bother people while going though the car park? Between shots shouldn't be an issue either - my clubs rattle, my buggy wheels make noise on hard surfaces, my feet too. If you're rattling them around when other players are playing their shots then that's a different story but it doesn't sound like this is the case.

Johnny Canuck
2nd August 2015, 09:40 PM
Yes and each to their own, but why exactly?

I guess if you have a small boot and don't want/have room to cart a buggy around then that'd be one reason.... It's probably a better workout for fitness, might be another. For me the first doesn't apply and the second while true would probably leave me too knackered to swing a club by the end.

Getting off topic though. Why would bag chatter bother people while going though the car park? Between shots shouldn't be an issue either - my clubs rattle, my buggy wheels make noise on hard surfaces, my feet too. If you're rattling them around when other players are playing their shots then that's a different story but it doesn't sound like this is the case.

The number of calories burned carrying vs pushing is pretty close to the same.

I like being able to walk straight to where I need to go and not have to go around things. Back in North America, carrying is much more common than pushing, so I grew up doing it.

I don't carry on hot days or rainy days, so there is a pretty small window to do it in Australia.

Yossarian
2nd August 2015, 09:42 PM

Me.

Collis
2nd August 2015, 09:51 PM

Collis
2nd August 2015, 09:53 PM

And take care of any remaining masculinity that you had left.

Then you hit a drive 40m past your other partners and it comes back quickly, and your clubs don't have annoying chatter on them.

Johnny Canuck
2nd August 2015, 09:56 PM
Then you hit a drive 40m past your other partners and it comes back quickly, and your clubs don't have annoying chatter on them.

You golfing with Simmsy?

Collis
2nd August 2015, 10:01 PM
You golfing with Simmsy?

No, just old people helps with the confidence.

Johnny Canuck
2nd August 2015, 10:06 PM
No, just old people helps with the confidence.

That doesn't eliminate Simmsy ;)

BenM
2nd August 2015, 10:09 PM
The number of calories burned carrying vs pushing is pretty close to the same.

I like being able to walk straight to where I need to go and not have to go around things. Back in North America, carrying is much more common than pushing, so I grew up doing it.

I don't carry on hot days or rainy days, so there is a pretty small window to do it in Australia.

Fair enough. I didn't really think of that one but then I don't often have to go round stuff with a buggy either... that's not to say I don't hit it in the trees (quite the opposite) but I just plan my route accordingly, it's pretty much automatic.

Yossarian
2nd August 2015, 10:13 PM
Canuck has an electric remote control buggy.

Johnny Canuck
2nd August 2015, 10:29 PM
Fair enough. I didn't really think of that one but then I don't often have to go round stuff with a buggy either... that's not to say I don't hit it in the trees (quite the opposite) but I just plan my route accordingly, it's pretty much automatic.

I like going straight across greens (not sure if you guys can do that with buggys, we can't) and things like that.

Canuck has an electric remote control buggy.

That is what is in use when I don't carry. I had been carrying quite a bit recently. I do use the electric the majority of the time.

Pushing vs Carrying is the debate here, Mr Lawyer. Objection!

BenM
2nd August 2015, 10:32 PM
I like going straight across greens (not sure if you guys can do that with buggys, we can't) and things like that.

Yeah, not at my local. Some other courses yes. In fact I think it was Royal Melbourne last year that said they were quite happy for us to go right over the greens with buggies? It was one of the sandbelt courses, maybe it was Woodlands... I thought it was bizarre as I'd never played on a course that allowed it.

Johnny Canuck
2nd August 2015, 10:36 PM
Yeah, not at my local. Some other courses yes. In fact I think it was Royal Melbourne last year that said they were quite happy for us to go right over the greens with buggies? It was one of the sandbelt courses, maybe it was Woodlands... I thought it was bizarre as I'd never played on a course that allowed it.

They need to implement it at my course, it could only help things.

TheNuclearOne
2nd August 2015, 10:40 PM
I think there would be a lynching if we did it at ours.

Hatchman
3rd August 2015, 11:52 AM
There are a few clubs in Radalaide that used to allow and promote taking buggies across the greens. It used to be only if you had the wide slick wheels. Since buggies have gone back to a narrower wheel again I don't think and haven't seen any that advertise allowing this still.

spanner039
3rd August 2015, 12:09 PM

Unless your told you cant, its the done thing at all sandbelt clubs.

Saves so much wear around the greens

Yossarian
3rd August 2015, 12:12 PM

Ricky Ponting.

3Puttpete
3rd August 2015, 12:27 PM
There are a few clubs in Radalaide that used to allow and promote taking buggies across the greens. It used to be only if you had the wide slick wheels. Since buggies have gone back to a narrower wheel again I don't think and haven't seen any that advertise allowing this still.

It was allowed at RA in November

benno_r
3rd August 2015, 12:37 PM
After playing sandbelt and RA, I do it at home and at Darwin.

No one has said anything (yet). Suppose I better check the rules or something though.

Ferrins
3rd August 2015, 01:20 PM
I find carrying my bag much easier than using a buggy or a cart. Don't worry about clatter on my irons unless in a cart then I will use poof socks.

TS
3rd August 2015, 02:36 PM
Kingston Health is fine with going thru the greens with buggies.

Blackhelmo
3rd August 2015, 09:33 PM
Nah doesn't bother me bud, carry clubs myself, used covers for irons, lost covers for irons. It's no noisier than some bloody petrol carts that race around everywhere.

Jazz18
3rd August 2015, 11:17 PM
Panda, you'll want to do something about the clubs clanging together after getting such a nice set today ;)

From what I remember, Royal Sydney encourage taking your buggy across the greens as well to save the green surrounds.

FuzzyJuzzy
4th August 2015, 08:42 AM

Wagging school to play golf?? That's ****in awesome:). Wish I could wag work to play golf...

FuzzyJuzzy
4th August 2015, 08:59 AM
I alternate between carrying and pushing, depending on how I feel and where I'm playing. Carry bag on a push buggy is handy if you're playing a hilly course or it's heaps wet and boggy out there. But either way, I have head covers on my irons. Can't have my sexy Titleist MBs getting all pranged up with bag chatter - that'd be a fallacy:). In saying that, they are pretty awesome to look at, so sometimes I take their hats off and let the girls get some sun:).
Anyways, the sound of irons clanging in a carry bag wouldn't bother me unless I was mid-swing. Or unless you're running round the course, you mad ninja, you:).

BenM
4th August 2015, 09:16 AM
Wagging school to play golf?? That's ****in awesome:). Wish I could wag work to play golf...

Don't we all mate....

Jazz18
4th August 2015, 10:22 AM
I alternate between carrying and pushing, depending on how I feel and where I'm playing. Carry bag on a push buggy is handy if you're playing a hilly course or it's heaps wet and boggy out there. But either way, I have head covers on my irons. Can't have my sexy Titleist MBs getting all pranged up with bag chatter - that'd be a fallacy:). In saying that, they are pretty awesome to look at, so sometimes I take their hats off and let the girls get some sun:).
Anyways, the sound of irons clanging in a carry bag wouldn't bother me unless I was mid-swing. Or unless you're running round the course, you mad ninja, you:).

I'm looking into options around this very problem Fuzzy. Iron covers are just not right when you've got a lovely looking set of irons. I've used them a lot recently when I used my MC's to stop the chatter but hated not being able to see them in the bag. The best thing I've seen to avoid iron covers is the Ogio silencer technology. They have released a new cart bag and will be bringing out their new stand bag early next year that has this silencer technology in the bag. The chamber cart bag and the original stand bag with the silencer technology weighed a ton but if the new cart bag is anything to go by, the new stand bag will be light and your clubs won't clang together while carrying or on a cart. They are a bit exy, but I've been told they are quality bags.

benno_r
4th August 2015, 10:48 AM
I'm looking into options around this very problem Fuzzy. Iron covers are just not right when you've got a lovely looking set of irons. I've used them a lot recently when I used my MC's to stop the chatter but hated not being able to see them in the bag. The best thing I've seen to avoid iron covers is the Ogio silencer technology. They have released a new cart bag and will be bringing out their new stand bag early next year that has this silencer technology in the bag. The chamber cart bag and the original stand bag with the silencer technology weighed a ton but if the new cart bag is anything to go by, the new stand bag will be light and your clubs won't clang together while carrying or on a cart. They are a bit exy, but I've been told they are quality bags.

They still haven't conquered it yet though - doesn't do the paint on graphite shafts any favours. Once the solve that, then the perfect bag will be made.

Jazz18
4th August 2015, 04:23 PM
They still haven't conquered it yet though - doesn't do the paint on graphite shafts any favours. Once the solve that, then the perfect bag will be made.

Hadn't thought of that Benno. The top of it feels quite soft but I'll check with the guys at the local shop that stocks ogio (they all use one I think) to see if they have seen the same thing.

Panda
6th August 2015, 08:52 AM
I'm looking into options around this very problem Fuzzy. Iron covers are just not right when you've got a lovely looking set of irons. I've used them a lot recently when I used my MC's to stop the chatter but hated not being able to see them in the bag. The best thing I've seen to avoid iron covers is the Ogio silencer technology. They have released a new cart bag and will be bringing out their new stand bag early next year that has this silencer technology in the bag. The chamber cart bag and the original stand bag with the silencer technology weighed a ton but if the new cart bag is anything to go by, the new stand bag will be light and your clubs won't clang together while carrying or on a cart. They are a bit exy, but I've been told they are quality bags. I had a play around with the new staff bags at Powergolf yesterday. Definitely lighter as stated and the rubber slits/slots are not as stiff and hard as before. Some have said the materials used this time around are of lesser quality in order to lighten the weight, I tend to concur.

TS
6th August 2015, 11:00 AM
Do you mind people talking while you are playing your shots? Bag chatter is a bit like people talking but at a higher pitch.