PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder awesomeness?

FuzzyJuzzy
30th July 2015, 07:41 PM
Gents,

I'm going to get a rangefinder for my bday next month. Had a Bushnell Hybrid a few years ago, but some wank stain stole it. Just been using a Bushnell Neo + GPS since.
What's the best middle of the road rangefinder these days? Thinking around $300. At the moment I'm thinking Bushy Tour V3. A mate uses that Pinseeker one (which sells new on the Bay for $170 or so) - he swears by it, but I'm thinking something a little more reputable...such as a V3. Keen to hear what you blokes use/approve.
Cheers,
Juzzy.

P.S. I know there's other threads on this already, but this is one of those open opportunities for newcomers to engage...:).

Daves
30th July 2015, 07:49 PM
V3s seem to be on special for around the $300/350 market, which is good value. Leupolds are better imo, but you are looking closer to $450/500 for one. I have owned both, and don't think you can go wrong with either.

I believe the Nikon ones are good, but I haven't used one myself.

The cheaper ones I have seen and used feel and handle exactly that, cheap copies. I have a mate with one that won't admit he bought a dud, takes him ages to get a distance and the optics are shite for me. To me that is what is all about good optics and ease of use.

FuzzyJuzzy
31st July 2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks Gents....well, Gent:).
Ordered a V3 through GolfBox last night...even found a still working $250/$50 code in that other thread (thanks for that), so got it for $299. Ordered it round 2030 Sydney time, hoping it'd turn up today. But think I'm getting a bit carried away. GB is quick, but not THAT quick...

Johnny Canuck
31st July 2015, 10:59 AM
Ordered a V3 through GolfBox last night...even found a still working $250/$50 code in that other thread (thanks for that), so got it for $299. Ordered it round 2030 Sydney time, hoping it'd turn up today. But think I'm getting a bit carried away. GB is quick, but not THAT quick...

I think it is noon to get it the next day.

FuzzyJuzzy
31st July 2015, 05:31 PM
I think it is noon to get it the next day.

Thanks mate. Figured today was a Hail Mary:). It'll have to wait til next week to get a run.

Johnny Canuck
31st July 2015, 06:23 PM
Thanks mate. Figured today was a Hail Mary:). It'll have to wait til next week to get a run.

I knew the rules and was still hoping that my last purchase would somehow arrive the next day ;)

Jazz18
31st July 2015, 06:51 PM

You won't be disappointed Fuzzy. I've got the tour V3 and it's been good to me so far. First range finder I've had so nothing else to compare to but it seems good so far.

FuzzyJuzzy
31st July 2015, 09:15 PM
Thanks Jazz. Guest me at RP GC sometime:).

Jazz18
2nd August 2015, 01:58 AM
Thanks Jazz. Guest me at RP GC sometime:).

I'll see what I can do but it may be too hard to resist a change to Riverside Oaks with the membership deal they have going on a the moment!

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd August 2015, 10:46 AM
I'll see what I can do but it may be too hard to resist a change to Riverside Oaks with the membership deal they have going on a the moment!Hell of a drive to get up to RO though, even from your area. Great deal if you live up that way...

Jazz18
2nd August 2015, 09:21 PM
Hell of a drive to get up to RO though, even from your area. Great deal if you live up that way...

I do love RP, but that's the main reason why I'm still giving it some thought otherwise I'd be all over it. If you live up there, I agree. It's a no brainer.

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd August 2015, 09:54 PM
I do love RP, but that's the main reason why I'm still giving it some thought otherwise I'd be all over it. If you live up there, I agree. It's a no brainer.

Riverside Oaks have just announced plans to build some (eight, from memory) houses on some of the property up there - houses that will overlook the course (not sure which course). You might try convincing the missus it's time for a sea change...an escape to the country type thing:).

Jazz18
2nd August 2015, 09:57 PM
Riverside Oaks have just announced plans to build some (eight, from memory) houses on some of the property up there - houses that will overlook the course (not sure which course). You might try convincing the missus it's time for a sea change...an escape to the country type thing:).

I can only dream I'm afraid!

FuzzyJuzzy
2nd August 2015, 10:05 PM
I can only dream I'm afraid!

If you're on their mailing list you would've got the eDM yesterday. They're saying it's an hour on the train (from the closest station, which is 20mins drive from RO, apparently) to Central Stn. They must be building a bullet train up that way! Takes me an hour to get from Warwick Farm to Circular Quay each day on the train.

FuzzyJuzzy
4th August 2015, 08:36 AM
For you blokes who are using them, how long do you find the battery lasts in the Bushnell Tour V3? Thanks.

benno_r
4th August 2015, 08:38 AM
For you blokes who are using them, how long do you find the battery lasts in the Bushnell Tour V3? Thanks.

I found I was getting 5 months averaging 2 rounds a week.

backintheswing
4th August 2015, 08:42 AM
I am on my third battery in about a years use. So about the same as Benno.

mrbluu
4th August 2015, 08:51 AM

I found I was getting 5 months averaging 2 rounds a week.

I am on my third battery in about a years use. So about the same as Benno.

I was going thru quite a few batteries so I got some Ultrafire Batteries and Charger. Supposedly Ultrafire is a good brand. I haven't had any problems.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-PCS-UltraFire-CR2-CR-2-15270-800mAh-3-0V-Rechargeable-Battery-1-PC-Charger-/361080857596?hash=item541218a3fc

Daves
4th August 2015, 08:53 AM
Batteries last way longer in Leupolds, 18mths to 2 years is my average.

benno_r
4th August 2015, 08:58 AM
Batteries last way longer in Leupolds, 18mths to 2 years is my average.

You sure it's not because you are just using all of our yardages we give you from our rangefinders? :)

Daves
4th August 2015, 09:06 AM
You sure it's not because you are just using all of our yardages we give you from our rangefinders? :)

No, it is usually the other way around because Leupolds lock on first! Plus my original Leupold predates even the V2.

FuzzyJuzzy
4th August 2015, 09:10 AM
Thanks Gents.
When this first battery looks like dying in the arse I'll scope out some rechargeables. Was mildly surprised to find it didn't come with a built-in rechargeable and USB cord, as my Bushnell Hybrid did. It's still awesome though.

Dotty
4th August 2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks Gents.
When this first battery looks like dying in the arse I'll scope out some rechargeables. Was mildly surprised to find it didn't come with a built-in rechargeable and USB cord, as my Bushnell Hybrid did. It's still awesome though.
From experience, they don't 'look like dying'. They just stop working, like a blown lightbulb.

Also got 5 months from a Tour V3 with two games a week. (I may have used a bit extra battery power getting a reading of 1.3km from a blimp doing a flyover.)

Jazz18
4th August 2015, 10:32 AM
From experience, they don't 'look like dying'. They just stop working, like a blown lightbulb.

Also got 5 months from a Tour V3 with two games a week. (I may have used a bit extra battery power getting a reading of 1.3km from a blimp doing a flyover.)

We so badly need that "like" button!

mrbluu
4th August 2015, 12:06 PM
We so badly need that "like" button!

Download tapa talk on android and u will get one! !!

Yossarian
4th August 2015, 12:17 PM
But then you would have tapatalk.