PDA

View Full Version : R15 driver

meh
24th July 2015, 04:48 PM
Anyone got the 460 model? Thoughts?

timah!
24th July 2015, 04:55 PM
Hit one at cool clubs during my fitting. Loved it.

davidw88
24th July 2015, 04:55 PM
Had one, wasn't a bad driver, liked it more than the sldr but the loft I had was a bit to much

meh
24th July 2015, 06:41 PM
Hit one at cool clubs during my fitting. Loved it. What did you get instead?

timah!
24th July 2015, 06:42 PM
What did you get instead?

g30. The r15 was my initial fave with some form of speeder shaft. Looks good, feels good. g30 just gave me slightly better numbers.

JADO75
24th July 2015, 06:52 PM
Had a black 460, wasn't really a fan. No doubt someone on here will say I'm full of crap but the black plays different to the white, maybe it was the black head that I had that was crap but I've hit some white 460's & they played better.
Had a white 430 10.5 up until yesterday (sold it) & while I liked it plenty it wasn't a game changer. I loved the shape & sound but my sldr had it covered. The R15 is also more right side friendly, not being so heel heavy will makes it feel nothing like the sldr.
I haven't hit a ball for a couple of weeks but the last time I played was at the new Bungool & after finishing the round we went & played some more holes. I hit some balls with my 430 R15/ Oban Tour Blue & hit it really well, flight & shape were perfect but then hit my 10.5 G30 LS & put balls 10-20m past the R15. I decided then that the R15 was goneski.
For the masses the R15 is absolutely a better, easier driver to use but I don't have a problem hitting my sldr on button more often than not so I'd rather the sldr if I was staying with TM.
I'll grab a white 460 9.5 R15 in the near future though for a revisit.

* edit
Hit my R15 with a Speeder 757 sorry not the Blue

timah!
24th July 2015, 07:00 PM
You're full of crap ;)

JADO75
24th July 2015, 07:09 PM
Correct, G30 is where it's at though

Daves
24th July 2015, 08:09 PM
So if you struggle with a SLDR, the (white) R15 is probably a better option if you want to stick with TM? Otherwise find a G30, which is easier said than done, at any reasonable discount to retail. Which probably says something in itself!

meh
24th July 2015, 08:32 PM
Shit, I'm going to have to try a g30.

Jazz18
24th July 2015, 08:39 PM
Shit, I'm going to have to try a g30.

Maybe you should try Jado's Taylormade Ping G30 ;)

JADO75
24th July 2015, 09:00 PM
So if you struggle with a SLDR, the (white) R15 is probably a better option if you want to stick with TM? Otherwise find a G30, which is easier said than done, at any reasonable discount to retail. Which probably says something in itself!S

Yep, sounds about right Daves. I'd try the G30 first, if you want lower spin try the LS & if you struggle with a slice go with the SF tec

JADO75
24th July 2015, 09:01 PM
Maybe you should try Jado's Taylormade Ping G30 ;)

I'm a dickhead but I don't get it?

Johnny Canuck
24th July 2015, 10:22 PM
Correct, G30 is where it's at though

G30 or 30ls, homie?

timah!
24th July 2015, 10:37 PM
G30 or 30ls, homie?

Either. G30 is already low spin and super forgiving.

Johnny Canuck
24th July 2015, 10:43 PM
I need to try one of these magic heads.

Lagerlover
24th July 2015, 10:47 PM
EOI on a 10 degree SF Tec when they get down to $170

timah!
24th July 2015, 10:54 PM
I need to try one of these magic heads.

I don't usually go Ga-Ga over bats, but this was by far my most favourite from my fitting. R15 was nice. 915 had good results, but g30 was better than both.

Johnny Canuck
24th July 2015, 10:56 PM
I don't usually go Ga-Ga over bats, but this was by far my most favourite from my fitting. R15 was nice. 915 had good results, but g30 was better than both.

Still love my Sldr, but missing the middle is a lot of distance gone

JADO75
24th July 2015, 11:16 PM
Can't fault either mate as both are beauties.
My last full round with the normal G30/Rogue 125 I only missed one tee shot & it wasn't too bad as I still had a swing, the rest were all crackers. My next round I played (Bungool) both the G30/Rogue & G30 LS/ 6M3 but was only using the normal G until it cracked. (Warning wanker alert) The two holes before it cracked I went driver/gap wedge into the 471m par 5 8th & drove pin high on the 307m 9th, no wind, pretty damp so it's plenty long & I felt like I couldn't miss with it. Switched to the LS & took a couple of holes to work it out but then peeled off some absolute bombs including driving the uphill 291m 16th.
(I played with Stealth, Rqrox & Vader that day & they'll vouch I'm not BSing)
I played another non comp round after that, was hitting the LS well again & my mate had a crack with it. Well old mate fell in love, flicked his Tour sldr & grabbed a LS even though he hates Ping haha.
They're both awesome heads, both stoopid long & stoopidly easy to hit, especially the normal model. If you have a tendency to go left I'd go with the LS as they are a little fade biased. The LS sounds a little funky so it may take a bit of getting used too but after seeing the results I'll deal with it no dramas. If you don't have any issues with spin try the normal G30 & pair it with shaft of choice.
Not sure which head i prefer yet but I just got a 9* LS to go with my 10.5* but won't be able to hit them for 2-3 weeks until my knee gets better. What I will say is the Rogue is the best shaft I've ever had.

3oneday
24th July 2015, 11:48 PM
Cleveland Sl290, the rest is just marketing spin.

;)

Daves
4th September 2015, 08:24 AM
S

Yep, sounds about right Daves. I'd try the G30 first, if you want lower spin try the LS & if you struggle with a slice go with the SF tec

How closed is the G30 SF? I am looking around for a G30 to add to the collection, and there is a SF available, but I don't really want any significant draw bias.

I really like the TM R15 (White). As you said, it is much easier to hit than the SLDR and a lot easier to tune. For me it is probably the better club for the slower swingers out there.

Jazz18
4th September 2015, 09:01 AM
I'm a dickhead but I don't get it?

Your WITB under your posts says you're hitting a Taylormade Ping G30 LS ;)

Jazz18
4th September 2015, 09:09 AM
How closed is the G30 SF? I am looking around for a G30 to add to the collection, and there is a SF available, but I don't really want any significant draw bias.

I really like the TM R15 (White). As you said, it is much easier to hit than the SLDR and a lot easier to tune. For me it is probably the better club for the slower swingers out there.

I look at G30's every time I go into a golf shop. There is so much good press about them, I want to buy one. Then when I put it down on the ground, it sits so open in my eyes, that I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. I think the SFTec sits square but someone else might have a different opinion.

simmsy
4th September 2015, 09:22 AM
The SF is sq. not closed at all.
Put a std g30 and sf next to each other u won't tell the diff.

The draw bias isn't that big on these things. Helps out a bit but not much.

Wenz
4th September 2015, 09:32 AM
I look at G30's every time I go into a golf shop. There is so much good press about them, I want to buy one. Then when I put it down on the ground, it sits so open in my eyes, that I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. I think the SFTec sits square but someone else might have a different opinion.

Too my eye, the standard model is pretty square. I read on golfwrx that the LS model is supposedly 1* open in standard setting.
Also, something to keep in mind. If you go down in loft it will appear & play more open.

hardboiled
4th September 2015, 09:33 AM
I have had both and the SF Tec sits square. The LS is a touch open.

Daves
4th September 2015, 09:33 AM

I have had both and the SF Tec sits square. The LS is a touch open.

Thanks Simmsy, and Hardboiled.

Johnny Canuck
4th September 2015, 09:43 AM

If it sits square, I need to hit yours.

Daves
4th September 2015, 09:43 AM

Too my eye, the standard model is pretty square. I read on golfwrx that the LS model is supposedly 1* open in standard setting.
Also, something to keep in mind. If you go down in loft it will appear & play more open.

It is all in the eye's preference, I guess. I am looking at a 12*, so it will be touch more closed at address. I just didn't want a totally shut face and lots of offset. The Ping site says no offset, but is silent on face angle.

Jazz18
4th September 2015, 09:49 AM
Your WITB under your posts says you're hitting a Taylormade Ping G30 LS ;)

Well it did up until this morning anyway :)

Wenz
4th September 2015, 10:26 AM
Well it did up until this morning anyway :)
Don't worry mate, I noticed it as well!!! :lol:

timah!
4th September 2015, 10:35 AM
Definitely square to open by my eye for the std.

Jazz18
4th September 2015, 10:37 AM
Don't worry mate, I noticed it as well!!! :lol:

Ok cool. I thought I was going mad. Probably am, but at least I'm not seeing things as well!

goonie
4th September 2015, 01:49 PM
I have a stock G30 9* and it sits open, even set at 10* it still sits square not closed at all, and I've had 3 different heads now.

JADO75
5th September 2015, 09:43 AM
My normal G30 sits square & my two LS heads sit a little open.

JADO75
5th September 2015, 09:44 AM
Ok cool. I thought I was going mad. Probably am, but at least I'm not seeing things as well!

You weren't seeing things brotha, ta for the heads up

TheNuclearOne
5th September 2015, 09:49 AM
My normal G30 sat a bit open as does my G30LS. G25 did too. Conversely could never get the Anser and I25 looking as open as i wanted even lofted down.

blurry
6th September 2015, 06:31 AM
My normal G30 sat a bit open as does my G30LS. G25 did too. Conversely could never get the Anser and I25 looking as open as i wanted even lofted down. +1 , I have an i25 and it does seem to look closed whereas my g30 sits perfectly

TheNuclearOne
6th September 2015, 02:41 PM
Also got to compare a mates brand new G30SF right against mine (on open) yesty. His to my eye on neutral looks a teeeeny bit closed so probably would measure about square. Even if mine was neutral it would look way more open than the SF, not to say the SF looks overly hooked. The SF opened up would look ok i reckon. The mate hyad been hitting an old model driver and he's deffo picked up some extra yards and consistency.